• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 25-31 | Marvel vs. Comcast

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Spotlight is up, min.us still being a bitch on my end. Why can't there be a good, all-around image host with folder capabilities :(

- - -

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

ibpmh0Dq6qcF0C.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at Shamrock7r!

What fighting games do you currently play, what is your all time favourite and why?
The only fighting game I play at this time is Super Smash Bros. Wii U. The Smash series as a whole is my favorite group of fighting games.
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
I can really only speak to Smash4, as that’s the only current fighting game I am really familiar with. Ultimately I like the physics of the game. The way you set up combos is dependent on how your attacks throw the other character around. It’s a much different feeling than a traditional fighting game. I think the addition of platforms and stage variety adds to the strategy of the game. The fact that the way you lose is by falling or being thrown far enough from the stage, allows for progression of your strategy as the match goes along. The way you play at the beginning of a match is vastly different from the way you play towards the end when your percentage is higher.
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
Prior to Brawl, I only played fighting games casually. Back when I was a kid, my friends and I were completely focused on the Mortal Kombat series. I got semi-competitive locally with Soul Calibur 2. It wasn’t until Smash Bros. Brawl that I actually broke the ceiling on what I would distinguish as going from casually competitive to being a little more serious. It being online helped in that regard.

As far as other genre’s, I’m usually drawn to platformers, adventure games like Zelda, and a good old school turn based RPG. I used to play Real Time Strategy games like Starcraft and Command and Conquer religiously.
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
If I was a character that was STRICTLY from a fighting game series, I would go with Scorpion. He always looks great with each iteration, has interesting moves, and a great backstory.

But as far as who I play, anyone who has played me online knows it is Ness. The Earhbound/Mother series is one of the greatest videogame series ever, and Earthbound/Mother2 is my favorite single videogame of all time, so naturally I want to play as the main character. I have never chosen a character based on tiers. I go with who I like and try to my best with them.
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
Cautiously Aggressive. Willing to get hit to set you up for something big. Low attention span so hopefully the match goes quick, haha.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
Strengths: I think one of my best qualities is my ability to read the opponent, figure out if they have a set pattern, and set them up for something accordingly. I try to know my characters backwards and forwards, so I am very comfortable doing slightly out there things with the knowledge I can recover.

Weaknesses: I can get a little over aggressive if I am frustratingly unable to hit the opponent. This couls lead to easy hits on me.
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
I don’t know if I have one particularly best moment. I’ve won a few local tourneys, some online ones. I won the first ever Smash Bros. 4 tournament here on NeoGaf. I did beat Dabuz (one of the top ranked Smash4 players) in a set online when Smash4 first came out, so there is that! Haha.

Too many bad moments to list, but they usually equate to having a huge stock advantage and losing the match because I played stupid.
What do you want from future fighting games?
Keep working on improving the online infrastructure. Keep adding variety to the genre. Do DLC right, and it could be great in keeping interest with a game for a longer period of time and help the community flourish.
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
Nabster92
Since Dahbomb strongly encourages pre-orders, what games do you plan to buy that have been officially announced?
The new Legend of Zelda
possibly Splatoon
Even though it’s a fan game, and free, I am really looking forward to the fan made Mother 4. It looks very authentic.

Negaduck

It's that time again...
3wJMNgZ.jpg

For me the best game I played actually wasn't the one I was the most active in. Not even close. The best had to have been Skullgirls, but the one I played the most was honestly MVC3.

This is a tough one for me. I've probably played marvel 2 the longest and that might be my best. But I've also played a TON of 3s and that's actually the game that got me to actually understand frames and the deeper understandings of fighting games in general.

The best I've played will always go to mvc2. I could play that forever.

I also ended up playing a TON of tekken 5. My gf in highschool worked for boomers (family fun center for those who don't know, go karts and games etc.) And I would go to work with her, get super hooked up with tokens and just sit and play T5 all day.

Those are the 3 I put the most time into. Played a lot of sf4 when it comes to recent games but those games are what thought me the fundamentals of fighting games.

Getting older I don't have the same amount of time like I used to but jump at the chance to play any mvc2 or 3s.

Clawww

wow.. didn't see this post. I'm, actually glad they are porting older games before Xrd since it will give them practice.

yeah, I posted before about how +R is a really sensible thing to port before Xrd. I'm excited; his other posts on the forum have all been really awesome so it looks like ASW picked the right person for the job

So, looks like ASW's taking a cool approach to Steam. I'm sure Xrd won't be too far off and we may even get closer releases in the future
I's an unreal engine 3 game, it shouldn't be difficult to port it and the engine runs well on modern hardware.

Implementing a proper UI and making everything more usable for the PC platform would probably take more effort.

What the fuck is up with the combo breaker 2015 archive footage?

Killer instinct top 8 was actually last round of top 4 and the rest. I wanted to watch top 8 after watching pools and top 16.

Wack.

Killer instinct top 8 was actually last round of top 4 and the rest. I wanted to watch top 8 after watching pools and top 16.

Wack.

The internet at the venue got nuked multiple times, so the twitch archives might not be very good.

Spooky's been good about posting VODs on youtube somewhat promptly now, so I expect they'll all be up there before the end of the week

Dahbomb

Wack.
Venue internet was messed up and hence many tournaments weren't streamed properly. Wait for the matches to be uploaded a bit later.

Ahhh didn't watch any of it live so I didn't know that. Thanks.

KI is the only game I'd watch with Tag2 as a maybe. I just thought they didn't get the stream time.

Whens the next major tournament with KI?

El Sloth

Banned

Wack.
Internet issues. Wait for the YouTube uploads or the rebroadcast Spooky's doing this Saturday.
Edit: welp, I should prob refresh my page before replying to posts

Clawww

I's an unreal engine 3 game, it shouldn't be difficult to port it and the engine runs well on modern hardware.

Implementing a proper UI and making everything more usable for the PC platform would probably take more effort.

the xrd menus on console were pretty clunky, too IMO

I wouldn't count on an improvement in that area but it sure would be nice

Uraizen

Banned
It's that time again...
3wJMNgZ.jpg

SFIV series and hell no it wasn't. It was just the thing everybody else wanted to play. Best game for me would mean the one I had the most fun with, not what I think is objectively the best. Having said that, it's near impossible to pick. KoFXIII, 3s, UNIEL, Melty, and BlazBlue are all godlike. The most fun was probably 3s because my friends and I would make up our own little games for it.

Onemic

yeah, I posted before about how +R is a really sensible thing to port before Xrd. I'm excited; his other posts on the forum have all been really awesome so it looks like ASW picked the right person for the job

It's too bad the online will still be worse than MKX.

fader

Simple question. Don't laugh.

How does one get EX versions of special attacks that you have to mash in SFIV(Chun-li kicks, etc.)?

you gotta mash two buttons. something like 3 taps in a second

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";165146472]For the last input, hit two buttons instead of one. So you piano HP, MP, LP, HP, MP+LP for ex hands I believe.[/QUOTE]

oh yea forgot about that method.

pixelish

DAMN! Does someone remember how many there was for USFIV last year?
1979 but this would be the first evo where it would go over 2k for sf4.

i really think it's time for them to move to a convention centre as hotel ballrooms could barely accommodate this kind of figure anymore.

Top Bottom