• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Filming begins on Godzilla 2, synopsis and cast revealed

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Don't want to come off as a Godzilla snob or anything, but automatically thinking this'll be a "clusterfuck" definitely shows little understanding of the franchise lol.

I have seen a Godzilla movie every sunday for 11 weeks now this years, so I am aware that dropping randomly Monsters in to have them fight Godzilla works. I dont want a full Origin movie, in which we see Gidorah and Rodan hatch from a egg, grow to full size and then battle the King of the Monster, but I think, if you also want to do a proper Mothra movie, you have to do it right.

I have no idea how they are going to do it, since Mothras origin may be a bit to cheesy for a western audience, but I liked about Godzilla 2014 that it really embraced Godzilla and the japanese side of the character, so I would love to see them give Mothra the same amount of love and hope, they have something that resembles the Twins, the Mothrasong and the Infant Island. Due to avaiability in my region, I have only seen Giant Monster All Out Attack, but even this one had the Infant Island, the Twins and the song while cheating and relying on the original Mothra movie as already happened in this continuity. It can work, but I really dont want to see Mothra flying out of a hole in the earth and thats it.

munchie64

I have seen a Godzilla movie every sunday for 11 weeks now this years, so I am aware that dropping randomly Monsters in to have them fight Godzilla works. I dont want a full Origin movie, in which we see Gidorah and Rodan hatch from a egg, grow to full size and then battle the King of the Monster, but I think, if you also want to do a proper Mothra movie, you have to do it right.

I have no idea how they are going to do it, since Mothras origin may be a bit to cheesy for a western audience, but I liked about Godzilla 2014 that it really embraced Godzilla and the japanese side of the character, so I would love to see them give Mothra the same amount of love and hope, they have something that resembles the Twins, the Mothrasong and the Infant Island. Due to avaiability in my region, I have only seen Giant Monster All Out Attack, but even this one had the Infant Island, the Twins and the song while cheating and relying on the original Mothra movie as already happened in this continuity. It can work, but I really dont want to see Mothra flying out of a hole in the earth and thats it.
Yeah, gotta have the twins. Wonder how they'd incorporate them into this universe though.

Amalthea

Banned
Yeah, gotta have the twins. Wonder how they'd incorporate them into this universe though.
I'd have them played by two young twins and write their roles as if they are immortal and extremely knowledgable but leave it completely ambiguous how old they actually are and if Mothra is really a godess.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
"Geedorah like one more step and yalls goners"

King_Geedorah_-_Take_Me_to_Your_Leader_album_cover.jpg

GAMEPROFF

Banned
They can have people living in the hollow earth. I am fine with the twins beeing two priestress from there and the Mothra chant beeing beeing an ancient preyer that is played during MONARCH discovering this culture.
Infant Island can be the entrace to this place.

massoluk

Banned
That awkward moment in my heart when I suddenly realized I prefer the latest Western version of Godzilla-verse over the latest version of Japanese one.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Most important thing is that Ken Watanabe is returning. I hope he has a bigger role in this one and is not only the asian guy who thinks that Gojira is awesome. Didnt he even completly disapear after Godzilla swim by under his ship?

I have no interest in any Godzilla that isn't the one from Shin Godzilla. Its design is so damn superior that Hollywood G just doesn't do anything for me anymore.

I have no interest in any Godzilla that isn't the one from Shin Godzilla. Its design is so damn superior that Hollywood G just doesn't do anything for me anymore.

So wait, you actually like chunky-thighs Godzilla with stubby T-Rex arms and
Penis-birthing tail
?

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Completly disagree. Shin Godzilla looked great for what it was intended for, but for future, more regular entrys I want them to stay the fuck away from that design.

I doubt we'll see the twins (or maybe a small cameo like in GMK) but I hope their song will be reworked somehow into the Mothra theme. I'm so curious about Mothra's appearance, I can't wait to see what she'll look like, she's always been my third favorite kaiju after Gamera and Godzilla.

And I like both Shin and 2014 equally. They are extremely similar films except one was made in Hollywood and the other one was directed by a complete weirdo, lol. Both are top 10 Godzilla films for me but not top 5.

massoluk

Banned
But only if it takes place during World War 1.

While Godzilla was temporarily out of commission while fighting Ghidorah, Rodan was slammed down against the floor. Ghidorah fired powerful blast to obliterate Rodan. When the smoke clear, we see Mothra blocking the blast with her wing just as an electric cello rift filled the theater.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
While Godzilla was temporarily out of commission while fighting Ghidorah, Rodan was slammed down against the floor. Ghidorah fired powerful blast to obliterate Rodan. When the smoke clear, we see Mothra blocking the blast with her wing just as an electric cello rift filled the theater.

MOTHRAAAAAAAAAAAAA

3 billion dollars. 12 oscars.

So wait, you actually like chunky-thighs Godzilla with stubby T-Rex arms and
Penis-birthing tail
?

Completly disagree. Shin Godzilla looked great for what it was intended for, but for future, more regular entrys I want them to stay the fuck away from that design.

I don't like it, I love it. Creepiest Godzilla ever and the feeling of dread with it just walking around was REAL. Amercian Godzilla looks chubby and way too comical for me. Shin Godzilla is in my top 3 design of the whole "series".

I don't like it, I love it. Creepiest Godzilla ever and the feeling of dread with it just walking around was REAL. Amercian Godzilla looks chubby and way too comical for me. Shin Godzilla is in my top 3 design of the whole "series".

Shit Godzilla was the derpiest unintentionally goofy design yet. The proportions are awkward. Moving around? Where did Shit Godzilla move? The tail wiggly hardly counts as moving.

Is this one going to have those little elf/fairy girls? The ones that got fed up with the fighting and tried to summon God? Also if I remember right weren't Martians somehow involved in that first King Ghidorah movie?

Shit Godzilla was the derpiest unintentionally goofy design yet. The proportions are awkward. Moving around? Where did Shit Godzilla move? The tail wiggly hardly counts as moving.

Well, I disagree :D I know I'm not the only one...I can see there being two camps regarding the designs. No problem with that.

xrnzaaas

There are going to be three monsters in the sequel? Oh great so Godzilla will have even less appearances than in the first movie.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
To be fair though... Mothra is known for dying.

And babies! Mothra babies!

mothra+godzilla.png

aren't they cute!

In the standalone Rodan movie, there's a male/female pair (it's never said whether they're mates or siblings) but both are killed in the end by causing Mt. Aso to erupt. In Ghidorah: The Three-Headed Monster, that's where a single Rodan wakes up; they never say whether it's one of the two from the first movie or just a third one that hadn't woken up yet.

I mean, the end game for any Godzilla film universe is a Destroy All Monsters scenario where everybody shows up. The more monsters, the merrier, so I certainly hope Anguirus gets in the mix.

I probably confused him for that then. I only remember having a female one but didn't realize Rodan isn't technically "linked" to them.

And yeah, here's hoping.

It's good for its setting and its own movie, but as an "icon" look for Godzilla? Hell no. It's the same way as how the GMK interpretation of Godzilla works in its own thing but never as a "general" look.

Krampus was in "so shitty it's good" territory, so I don't think I want that kind of treatment for a Godzilla sequel.

I loved the first one in this recent kaiju-verse.

It's good for its setting and its own movie, but as an "icon" look for Godzilla? Hell no. It's the same way as how the GMK interpretation of Godzilla works in its own thing but never as a "general" look.

Idk, I think it's very iconic. In my opinion it's closer to some of my favourite Godzilla designs. It's funny you mention GMK because that's my go-to/favourite iconic Godzilla look by far. :)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Idk, I think it's very iconic. In my opinion it's closer to some of my favourite Godzilla designs. It's funny you mention GMK because that's my go-to/favourite iconic Godzilla look by far. :)

Those designs are like that because they're meant for those specific stories rather than something that can "span".

Those designs are like that because they're meant for those specific stories rather than something that can "span".

Oh it can span, though. Why wouldn't it? There are deleted scenes from Shin Godzilla and in one of them you see some goo with eyes and teeth indicating that Shin Godzilla at his present form may be able to reproduce asexually. There's tons of material and lore for sequels or more films in that universe. Who knows where the beast comes from but in the film there are definitely hints of him being a mutation of some ancient animal (edit: ah, too late ;D).

Mothra's silly lore is the reason she's my favorite Godzilla monster lol. No other monster in Godzilla has such a weird, out of place, crazy backstory that manages to remain consistent for half a century and through several reboots and remakes.

It's a Hollywood rendition. Can anyone predict how suggest how they should space out these 3 characters over the course of one film? Not being pessimistic, but what formula would be best served here in this instance? Maybe just feature 2 of the 3 primarily and relegate the third to an epilogue scene, providing they have a sequel in mind?

People are complaining that a Godzilla movie has too many monsters in it?

O...k...

Of course Mothra and Rodan will help Big G take down Gidorah. Should be great (unless they focus too much on the boring humans).

I hope Mothra has the weird pair of humans who speak for her. Or fairies. Or whatever.

I just hope this time they don't have a whiney american soldier who basically single-handedly saves the world. Absolutely ruined the 2014 movie for me. That first half was so promising until...you know what happened.

Too many giant monsters. Not enough giant monsters. Can't please everybody.

I just can't wait to see my perfect three-headed fuckin' golden dragon.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
After how terrible the first Godzilla was and how absolutely horrible the new King Kong was, I have no hope anymore.

Top Bottom