• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Filming begins on Godzilla 2, synopsis and cast revealed

Jezan

This time please don't waste the actors, don't have dogs outrunning waves and don't be a cocktease with Godzilla.

Thanks.
A movie has the potential to be good if the dog survives, if it died the movie is shit, no other way around this principle of the universe. Still if the dog survives then the metrics for the good/bad move are still taken into account.

There is an exception to this, but only if the movie is centered around the dog.

I wanna see Hollywood Mothra.

Hey now, Godzilla vs Destroyah is a good action film. Even goes full henshin hero with an upgrade and has a legacy hero with Jr!

The last 10 minutes have some cool scenes but it's probably one of the laziest productions in the series. The characters essentially disappear halfway through the movie, you have people who don't even react to the monsters in matte shots, the monster were as stiff as all the other Heisei movies, etc. The fact that Gamera GOTU had none of these problems, and it was made with half the budget literally embarrassed Toho's producers.

- J - D -

I would love a twist where Godzilla turns heel and it's the other monsters who have to stop him, kinda like GMK (Godzilla 2001).

I would love a twist where Godzilla turns heel and it's the other monsters who have to stop him, kinda like GMK (Godzilla 2001).

They could do a reverse GMK with Ghidorah as the bad guy and the three others as the guardians. That way we could get super sayan Godzilla once poor Mothra gets killed as usual.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The last 10 minutes have some cool scenes but it's probably one of the laziest productions in the series. The characters essentially disappear halfway through the movie, you have people who don't even react to the monsters in matte shots, the monster were as stiff as all the other Heisei movies, etc. The fact that Gamera GOTU had none of these problems, and it was made with half the budget literally embarrassed Toho's producers.

Guardian of the Universe is a really great film yeah, but I can't hate vs Destroyah since it gave us Burning Godzilla.

They could do a reverse GMK with Ghidorah as the bad guy and the three others as the guardians. That way we could get super sayan Godzilla once poor Mothra gets killed as usual.

It was the only time Gidorah was portrayed as a good guy right? Even had GOLDO MODO

DrArchon

As nice as it would be for Godzilla to be a villain or even more of a neutral character in the American movies, there's no way they're going to do that. He's a full on super hero in these productions. The end of Godzilla '14 proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

A real shame, because I'm much more of a fan of Godzilla as an antagonist, but it is what it is.

Sephzilla

Hero Godzilla is perfectly okay but all of the best movies are when Godzilla is either neutral or the antagonist. The only Hero Godzilla movies that I think scratch the top 10 are the 70s MechaGodzilla movie and 2014

Godzilla as a good guy can work if they go the Gamera 90s route where he's a guardian of the earth but doesn't give a shit about humans and will kill them if they are in his way. Which seemed to be the case in 2014. He saved the day, sure, but all he wanted was to kill the MUTOS, not much else.

It was the only time Gidorah was portrayed as a good guy right? Even had GOLDO MODO

To my knowledge, yes.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I really didnt acknowledged Godzilla as a god guy in 2014. He just wanted to defend his territory and by accident thats what humanity wanted, too.

I really didnt acknowledged Godzilla as a god guy in 2014. He just wanted to defend his territory and by accident thats what humanity wanted, too.

I think the movie did a great job showing him as a force of nature, from the tsunami, to the bridge scene and the city battle. We're like ants, he wasn't concerned with us.

DrArchon

Yeah, but there was the hokey scene at the end with everyone cheering as he lumbered off. Maybe if the people looked at him in stunned silence, or he knocked down a skyscraper as he left I'd feel better about him as a force of nature in that movie.

Sephzilla

Yeah but the movie ends with humanity actively cheering him as he went back to sea with a news report flashing "KING OF THE MONSTERS" across the screen. And Godzilla pretty much directly saves the main human character from death.

They have a perfect opportunity to go full-blown weird sci-fi like the Showa movies and have Millie Bobbie Brown play the little girl who meets the twin fairies or develops some kind of psychic/spiritual link with Mothra or something, who helps establish to the viewers the idea that Mothra is the "Lawful Good".

Also, the severe unlove for Rodan in this thread is troubling. Rodan went toe-to-toe with Godzilla when they first fought, and tanked his atomic breath like it was just a sour burp. Showa Rodan is not the brittle paper airplane they turned him into in the later movies and games. He was just a big-ass flying beef monster whose main power was not giving a shit.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think the movie did a great job showing him as a force of nature, from the tsunami, to the bridge scene and the city battle. We're like ants, he wasn't concerned with us.
True

Yeah, but there was the hokey scene at the end with everyone cheering as he lumbered off. Maybe if the people looked at him in stunned silence, or he knocked down a skyscraper as he left I'd feel better about him as a force of nature in that movie.

Yeah but the movie ends with humanity actively cheering him as he went back to sea with a news report flashing "KING OF THE MONSTERS" across the screen. And Godzilla pretty much directly saves the main human character from death.
At least the news report was a nice easter egg :D Still, got pretty pumped up and excited by the scene :D

Slayven

Can we get Birdon in Godzilla 3

tumblr_nrwpeb9h4b1s7r03co1_500.gif

DrArchon

There really should be a KaijuGAF OT. It's a big enough genre with enough new stuff coming out that I'd think it'd be worth it.

Sephzilla

What info would we need for a Kaiju thread? Basic "wtf is a Kaiju?" stuff and then maybe a couple notable monsters and some recommended movies?

Also should it go in Off Topic or Community ?

Rodan and Mothra's standalone intro movies are two of the weakest Heisei era kaiju films, so I have no idea why anyone is asking for that. What do you need to know about either of them, especially Rodan? The two rodans are barely a presence in the original movie. Skipping to the big battle royale with Ghidorah before the Kong crossover kills the franchise is the correct move.

It will almost certainly be the three of them against Ghidorah.

I kind of get that for Mothra (even though her backstory takes two minutes and should never be a full movie), but Rodan? Rodan is a giant prehistoric flying monster. End of story. There's no crazy backstory for him, he's just Godzilla with wings and a tiny lifebar.
Yea, they really are weak. I mean I enjoy them cause they're campy and kaiju. But Rodan's pacing is horrible and it's makes the movie feel so damn long.

What info would we need for a Kaiju thread? Basic "wtf is a Kaiju?" stuff and then maybe a couple notable monsters and some recommended movies?

We could format it as
-What are kaiju (basic history of the genre through the decades with additional info on the directors, writers, etc.)

-Why people like it (obvious reasoning)

-Where should I begin/ What should I watch (movie recommendations with submissions from other fans)

-Resources (great sources on info on the series, places to buy from, stream, etc.)

Maybe even some avatars for good measure.

Sephzilla

if nobody objects i could start work on a Kaiju OT. Feel free to PM some stuff if you want to contribute. If someone else wants to handle it then feel free

JdFoX187

Banned
The ending was my major issue with Godzilla '14. He literally destroyed dozens of buildings and killed thousands between Hawaii and San Francisco, but he's hailed as a hero at the end. That last 30 seconds ruined an otherwise amazing film.

Gravidee

The only stupid part was when the MUTO acknowledged the soldier and recognized him later.
I mean, I see ants walking on a surface, too, but its not like I am able to recognize them later.

He was the only one around when the eggs blew up, and it's quite possible that the MUTOs have an extremely acute sense of perception.

Retro

Yeah, gotta have the twins. Wonder how they'd incorporate them into this universe though.

Seems pretty easy; there's ancient monsters all over the world waking up (MUTOs, Rodan, Ghidorah), but not all of them were dormant. Mothra could easily be one of those, living deep in an uncharted (or thought deserted) island in the pacific and attended to by the native peoples. The twins could simply be young priestesses (having them tiny is probably a bridge too far).

Alternatively, Mothra could have regenerative powers (so when she gets nuked, and she will, she can come back later or provide her life energy to bring other monsters who will inevitably get nuked back into the fight), and the twins could be ancient, immortal priestesses who appear as children (thus, they can still be 'small') due to the regenerative properties of their monster. Maybe all the islanders are kept perpetually young and immortal (but since they're not priests and constantly near Mothra, they aren't perpetually child-like), which is how they're able to survive without spending much time on the surface (which explains why no one's ever discovered them).

Hell, Mothra could have a later standalone movie where evil industrialists seeking a "fountain of youth" piss her off.

They can have people living in the hollow earth. I am fine with the twins beeing two priestress from there and the Mothra chant beeing beeing an ancient preyer that is played during MONARCH discovering this culture.
Infant Island can be the entrace to this place.

So pretty much this, yeah... Infant Island is just the visible part of a larger underground structure where Mothra and her people live.

I expect them to go full Battra.

Mothra dies in Godzilla 2, comes back with an evil twin in Godzilla 3.

Why they gotta include Rodan? Rodan sucks. Only monster more boring is probably Baragon.

oFFRHWu.gif

The question is what are they doing after Kong Vs Godzilla.

Because I dont think there are any Kaijus that have a chance getting a foot in the door beside these two.

After the events of Godzilla 2 (aka "Four monsters now, seriously!?"), humanity realizes these ancient animals are going to keep waking up and will eventually regain their position as the dominant lifeforms on earth. Their answer in Godzilla 3 is Mechagodzilla, who takes out all sorts of new monsters (plenty of existing kaiju to choose from) but eventually runs afoul Godzilla who doesn't like that he's not the apex predator and his prey are being wiped out. Godzilla ends up destroying it cuz Original Character / Do Not Steal, bitches.

Godzilla 3 ends with humans going back to the drawing board; take your pick from using Kaiju DNA to make their own monster (Biollante!), weaponizing existing, weaker kaiju (Gigan!) or using the corpse of fallen kaiju as a framework (Mecha-Ghidorah!). Godzilla 4 is basically Destroy All Monsters, with whoever survived Godzilla 2 and 3 plus whatever new monsters are developed by humans or wake up in the interim.

Off-Topic, then mods move it to community after a set amount of time to get noticed / build the community.

We could format it as
-What are kaiju (basic history of the genre through the decades with additional info on the directors, writers, etc.)

-Why people like it (obvious reasoning)

-Where should I begin/ What should I watch (movie recommendations with submissions from other fans)

-Resources (great sources on info on the series, places to buy from, stream, etc.)

Maybe even some avatars for good measure.

Definitely recommendations, but we need some way to make it clear that not all Kaiju movies are created equal. Not a ranking or rating system, but something very loose that won't spark a lot of arguments, like labeling them "Essential", "Highly Recommended", "Keep an open mind", "Weird Shit" and "Hardcore Fans Only."

Van Bur3n

It's fucking Godzilla. There have been worse "clusterfucks" than this in the older movies. So long as I see monsters fight, I'll watch this clusterfuck commence.

Now let's get Gigan in film 3.

Because Gigan is the best.

So long as its the Final Wars Gigan. He went from looking like one of the dumbest looking monsters to one of the coolest.

night814

Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah all in the same film sounds like a clusterfuck
Yeah holy shit, if you left Ghidorah out I think it could work but all three sounds like a lot. My guess is they will do the Mothra face turn for the climax.

Gotta have the singing twins for Mothra. Sing Mahara Mothra all the time at work.

Yeah holy shit, if you left Ghidorah out I think it could work but all three sounds like a lot. My guess is they will do the Mothra face turn for the climax.

Gotta have the singing twins for Mothra. Sing Mahara Mothra all the time at work.

There are movies with close to 20 monsters in there. This is nothing.

Hell, the title GMK - Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah actually left out a monster's name in the title. It's Actually Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah, Baragon.

Ithil

It's fucking Godzilla. There have been worse "clusterfucks" than this in the older movies. So long as I see monsters fight, I'll watch this clusterfuck commence.

So long as its the Final Wars Gigan. He went from looking like one of the dumbest looking monsters to one of the coolest.
Got that right

latest

Top Bottom