• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Filming begins on Godzilla 2, synopsis and cast revealed

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh it can span, though. Why wouldn't it? There are deleted scenes from Shin Godzilla and in one of them you see some goo with eyes and teeth indicating that Shin Godzilla at his present form may be able to reproduce asexually. There's tons of material and lore for sequels or more films in that universe. Who knows where the beast comes from but in the film there are definitely hints of him being a mutation of some ancient animal (edit: ah, too late ;D).
You kinda miss my point on the design.

Like, part of the appeal to godzilla is his consistent, less "icky" design.

I just hope this time they don't have a whiney american soldier who basically single-handedly saves the world. Absolutely ruined the 2014 movie for me. That first half was so promising until...you know what happened.

I mean I get the 2014 complaints on humans, but the soldier was not whiny at all (in fact he's pretty much mostly quiet or complacent in the field - the only time he showed whining was early in the film towards his dad). Also what - he didn't save the world.

You're confusing the shitty Emmerich Godzilla to 2014. Now that is a whiny journalist who saved the world (that spawned a much better cartoon).

I mean I get the 2014 complaints on humans, but the soldier was not whiny at all (in fact he's pretty much mostly quiet or complacent in the field - the only time he showed whining was early in the film towards his dad). Also what - he didn't save the world.

You're confusing the shitty Emmerich Godzilla to 2014. Now that is a whiny journalist who saved the world (that spawned a much better cartoon).

Solider dude blew up the clutch of eggs that would have hatched and taken over the world.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The only stupid part was when the MUTO acknowledged the soldier and recognized him later.
I mean, I see ants walking on a surface, too, but its not like I am able to recognize them later.

Solider dude blew up the clutch of eggs that would have hatched and taken over the world.

Doesn't he also defuse the bomb on the boat? I might have gotten things confused in my memory.

You kinda miss my point on the design.

Like, part of the appeal to godzilla is his consistent, less "icky" design.

I think I get what you mean, I just don't agree with it. ;) No hard feelings here, I'm just in a different camp. I like my Godzilla unpredictable and menacing and I'm all for changes of the "character". I like many other Godzilla movies, too, like Destoroyah which is one of my favourite Kaiju films overall. I adore the 90s Gamera trilogy as well.

Why they gotta include Rodan? Rodan sucks. Only monster more boring is probably Baragon.

tumblr_mxy4xwJvcq1rcztqjo6_400.gif

:( Baragon's my favorite monster, he's adorable.

s-l300.jpg

Have this on my desk.

Can't believe I'm living in a time where I can see my favorite monsters fighting it out in modern CGI. I really hope King of the Monsters and Godzilla vs Kong do well enough to carry this cinematic universe forward. Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah are GREAT, but I still want to explore things such as a Godzilla offspring and Mechagodzilla. Perhaps have Godzilla killed by another Kaiju such as Biollante or Destroyah or by a newly created Kaiju from Legendary. Make Monarch have to build a mech to defend the fate of humanity. Godzilla Jr. could rise in the end, or even just showing an egg would work.

I believe these films would work better if civilization were to fall, to make the mandatory human element more interesting. Have human settlements reduced to rubble and ruin, with humanity struggling to rebuild. Have humanity live in fear of Kaiju, maybe even having those who worship them as deities.

I do believe Kaiju film fatigue could set in sooner than some of the other huge Blockbusters like Superhero films and Disney live action remakes, but here's to hoping everyone still loves watching giant monstrosities destroy civilization as they dick around playing fight club.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The question is what are they doing after Kong Vs Godzilla.
Because I dont think there are any Kaijus that have a chance getting a foot in the door beside these two.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I dont think this is going to work in either way. Booth times we see the first times giant monsters attack humanity.

And to be honest. I want to keep booth seperate.

I was morw thinking in regards of the Universe. A Cinematic Universe only with Godzilla movies coming up would be rather boring. And I somehow dont see them do Gamera.

Snaku

Banned
The question is what are they doing after Kong Vs Godzilla.
Because I dont think there are any Kaijus that have a chance getting a foot in the door beside these two.

I'm glad they're not concerning themselves with planning too far ahead. Best not to make wildly over optimistic assumptions about your cinematic universe, and focus on the foundation. Godzilla vs Kong is the end of phase 1. We can worry about phase 2 after.

Pizza

The first act will be Godzilla vs rhodan/mothra or just one of them. Then either the other one wakes up (more fighting) or Ghidora just slams his way in as the new heel, making it a team-up movie

Godzilla and King Kong did an excellent job creating the exposition needed to make such a scenario absolutely believable and we don't need to drag shit out for thirty movies like marvel does. Dr Strange would have been objectively better had it not been an origin story, for example. He could have already been in his secret mansion doing shit like fighting shuma gorath. You don't NEED origin stories if the the film is good.

Boss Doggie

Doesn't he also defuse the bomb on the boat? I might have gotten things confused in my memory.

I think I get what you mean, I just don't agree with it. ;) No hard feelings here, I'm just in a different camp. I like my Godzilla unpredictable and menacing and I'm all for changes of the "character". I like many other Godzilla movies, too, like Destoroyah which is one of my favourite Kaiju films overall. I adore the 90s Gamera trilogy as well.

he did all of those, but Godzilla pretty much saved him and was watching his back

I know your stance and you're free to like. I'm just saying what I meant by the design being "wide appeal" if you catch my drift.

that was the whole mission though, he just survived through all of it

tumblr_mxy4xwJvcq1rcztqjo6_400.gif

:( Baragon's my favorite monster, he's adorable.

s-l300.jpg

Have this on my desk.

man nidoking is ugly in real life

Sephzilla

Seeing SpaceGodzilla again would be cool. But I'd rather see the more interesting "Not-Godzilla" clone get another run

hqdefault.jpg

Biollante is one of the few monsters that has a legit win over Godzilla

No thanks to Spacegodzilla or Destoroyah. They're such ridiculously busy and cumbersome designs I doubt anybody could make them work well. It doesn't help that their debut movies are pretty bad and general audiences don't know about them. Biollante, Anguirus, and Baragon would be far better monsters.

Sephzilla

If SpaceGodzilla would come back I want him to be OP as fuck to the point where it takes both Godzilla and MechaGodzilla to take him out, like the original script intended.

Daingurse

Seeing SpaceGodzilla again would be cool. But I'd rather see the more interesting "Not-Godzilla" clone get another run

hqdefault.jpg

Biollante is one of the few monsters that has a legit win over Godzilla

Biollante is one of my favorite Kaiju designs ever. She's a very unique monster. GvB has always been one of my very favorite Godzilla films, and that is almost soely on the back of Biollante!

munchie64

No thanks to Spacegodzilla or Destoroyah. They're such ridiculously busy and cumbersome designs I doubt anybody could make them work well. It doesn't help that their debut movies are pretty bad and general audiences don't know about them. Biollante, Anguirus, and Baragon would be far better monsters.
General audiences don't know anyone cept maybe Mothra and Ghidorah, so I don't really think that should matter much. That said those two probably would be last one my list (as much as I like Godzilla vs Destoroyah, it ain't for him). Number 1 is Gigan getting hardcore with the buzz saws.

Sephzilla

Biollante is one of my favorite Kaiju designs ever. She's a very unique monster. GvB has always been one of my very favorite Godzilla films, and that is almost soely on the back of Biollante!

Yeah Biollante is great and is one of the few Kaiju that I think looks straight up more intimidating than Godzilla himself. GvB is up there as one of my favorites too. Kind of wish Biollante was in more of the movie, though.

I really do think Biollante would be a great pick for this new run of movies. I hope they go there.

Doing a quick google search I found a fan mockup of what Biollante might look like if she was based on the 2014 Godzilla. I quite like it

munchie64

Depending on what direction they go, Biollante would fit in the Shin universe pretty well too.

Gotta get a chance somewhere.

General audiences don't know anyone cept maybe Mothra and Ghidorah, so I don't really think that should matter much. That said those two probably would be last one my list (as much as I like Godzilla vs Destoroyah, it ain't for him). Number 1 is Gigan getting hardcore with the buzz saws.

The 60's Golden Age movies have played God knows how many times over the years on TV and had theatrical releases in the west. With G14 interest in the old movies rose dramatically. They're more well known then you give them credit for, alongside Rodan.

But yeah, we really need to see Biollante again. The effects for her wouldn't be nearly as impressive as what was done for her in her debut, but it'd still be a good time to see her again.

Daingurse

Yeah Biollante is great and is one of the few Kaiju that I think looks straight up more intimidating than Godzilla himself. GvB is up there as one of my favorites too. Kind of wish Biollante was in more of the movie, though.

Rose-Form with the teeth is pretty haunting to look at, and the crocodilan looking form is just plain badass. One of the biggest, strongest, and toughest kaiju Godzilla has ever faced. She put Godzilla's healing factor to shame lol. Would love some more Biollante!

Aw yiss @ the Biollante love in this thread. They need to bring her back ASAP; both her Rosebud/Audrey II and evolved forms are among the best monster designs in the series.

Sephzilla

Depending on what direction they go, Biollante would fit in the Shin universe pretty well too.

Gotta get a chance somewhere.

Shin universe Biollante could be an alternate evolution of Godzilla or something from some stray cells or some bullshit like that. Considering how fucking terrifying Shin Godzilla looked I can't even fathom what Biollante would look like

Got mine at Godzilla fest in Chicago, but they sell them on eBay. And yes, they sell other monsters. There's actually a ton of them.

sd1b.jpg

SD Godzilla figures, they also made them for the 2014 film.

d44fe50899d07bf07bd9b13190a814a3.JPG

I just bought Mechagodzilla and Godzilla off ebay!

The Mothra figure looked kind of poor quality

They wanted 25 dollars for Jet Jaguar!

Boss Doggie

Biolante's origins is really weird though. Like a combo of Godzilla's cells, a dead girl's ghost, and some other shit.

Hey now, Godzilla vs Destroyah is a good action film. Even goes full henshin hero with an upgrade and has a legacy hero with Jr!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What I just noticed: Mothra, Gidorah and Rodan are all Kaijus that had their own movies.
Maaaaybe we will get Solomovies with them afterwards?

Top Bottom