• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 15 Dungeon and Wildlife videos.

raven777

The actual game will not look as good as that wildlife video. So people shouldn't expect that exact graphics in the game.

The actual game will not look as good as that wildlife video. So people shouldn't expect that exact graphics in the game.
What? Looked like it was ripped straight from the full game...nothing in the video stood out above what we've already seen lol...

MkjNVFb.gif

No more slowdowns

The hitstop is now a function of how heavy the attack is... which is great.

Rapid strikes shouldn't have hitstop while big hits and finishing moves should.

wmlk

Looked like the exact same fidelity as everything else to me

The models of the creatures look great, but so do the models for everything else.

raven777

What? Looked like it was ripped straight from the full game...nothing in the video stood out above what we've already seen lol...

Well Tabata specifically said they took out gameplay elements and stuff like AI to get that fidelity. Actual game will probably have less number of stuff shown/ a bit less details etc.

Holy shit at the wildlife video... they're aiming for something they've never achieved before in the series. A real living world.

Reminds me of the open area in XIII, only if wildlife really "lived" in that world.

Yeah it was really quite lively and soothing. Looked beautiful. Gran Pulse was a majorly failed attempt at something like this.

The dub is still bad. I don't care what anyone says, I can't stand Prompto's English VA.

Yeah it's still bad. I still personally love that they made muh fav, Ignis, British, but I'll play the game in Japanese if they have that option in the end.

The dub is still bad. I don't care what anyone says, I can't stand Prompto's English VA.
As someone who's endured Shenmue English dubs (still some of the best games I've ever played), the VA here is like Frank Sinatra compared to other possibilities lol. I don't think I've ever heard "good" English VA in Japanese games besides Metal Gear Solid.

It dosn't look that impressive to be honest, but of course, the game is far away, with optimizations and later versions of the engine, I expect, to at least look a bit better (and better framerate and resolution)

BTW the dub right now is even lower quality than FF XIII.

I hope is placeholder stuff.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Wildlife video needs one of those Animal Planet or Discovery Channel whispering commentators.

"Here we have the Iron Giant in its natural forest habitat, readying a spell of Barrier to cast before it swings down upon that pack of wild Cockatrice."

Ludist210

I think my favorite part of the wildlife video is them showing off that enemies around the map can interact with one another and engage in combat with other monsters. Not sure how dynamic or interesting that will end up being, but it could make for really cool moments.
Didn't they already do that in FFXIII on Gran Pulse?

Well Tabata specifically said they took out gameplay elements and stuff like AI to get that fidelity. Actual game will probably have less number of stuff shown/ a bit less details etc.
Maybe, at this point in time at least. Still a long ways out and a ton of polish happens in late stages of development so honestly I'm expecting the game to look damn good, personally. Even better than that wildlife video.

convo

I don't see how it looks that stunning.The creatures don't look all that different from when they showed them off in the presentations well we haven't seen the chocobos that close before. What's actually interesting is how many creatures there are and how they interact with each other that might not reflect 100% in the game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
As someone who's endured Shenmue English dubs (still some of the best games I've ever played), the VA here is like Frank Sinatra compared to other possibilities lol. I don't think I've ever heard "good" English VA in Japanese games besides Metal Gear Solid.

Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions.

wmlk

There have been many good localizations.

All Matsuno games (FFT, FFXII, etc.), the Persona series, Catherine, Xenoblade (yes, Xenoblade), Tales games.

And Nier especially. Just listen to this.

Dark_castle

Combat seems to be based around being highly mobile. This doesn't work on such closed spaces, just look at the camera too he is blindly attacking.

Has it occur to you that maybe not all dungeons will be small like that Goblin cave? There's a lock-on button in the game, the player just didn't use it a lot from the short footage. Then again, that was a huge swarm of Goblins there, so I guess lock-on wasn't needed that much.

raven777

I don't see how it looks that stunning.The creatures don't look all that different from when they showed them off in the presentations well we haven't seen the chocobos that close before. What's actually interesting is how many creatures there are and how they interact with each other that might not reflect 100% in the game.

Yes this is probably what the main difference will be between that video and actual game. The number of monsters/stuff shown on the screen won't be as big as that video.

But ultimately, that's a double edged sword so we'll see what they do.

I hope Tabata follows YoshiP example, that he wanted to listen to feedback but he never backed of from his vision (specially regarding the whiny "combat is just a bad wow clone and not like superior 1.23 version!")

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I hope Tabata follows YoshiP example, that he wanted to listen to feedback but he never backed of from his vision (specially regarding the whiny "combat is just a bad wow clone and not like superior 1.23 version!")

The hitstop situation was weird anyway because the last trailer before the gameplay demonstration didn't have that problem. So they sort of went backwards? idk.

I personally think the English VA's sound awesome. Especially Prompto. Much better than his Japanese counterpart.

I just think some though are so used to how the Japanese cast sound and that they had this expectation for the characters to sound exactly like their Japanese counterparts. That would've made for a much worse dub. It almost always does when that's the intention.

If you take a step back and divorce yourself from how you THINK they should sound, you will find the voice acting to be rather great. But I understand that some can't do that. In that regard, it is quite unfortunate.

I personally think the English VA's sound awesome. Especially Prompto. Much better than his Japanese counterpart.

I just think some though are so used to how the Japanese cast sound that they had this expectation for the characters to sound exactly like their Japanese counterparts. That would've made for a much worse dub. It almost always does when that's the intention.

If you take a step back and divorce yourself from how you THINK they should sound, you will find the voice acting to be rather great. But I understand that some can't do that. In that regard, it is quite unfortunate.

Guys, if you imagine the VA isn't terrible then it will magically be terrific. Close your eyes and bask in the wonder

ced

Something about the visuals for this looks awful, everything is so bland. I can't really figure it out.

Lack of small details maybe?

I haven't enjoyed a FF since 7 then 12, but this is the team that made 12 right?

Can't lie, I can't think of many either. Though the dubs present in the Ivalice games, especially FF Tactics: War of the Lions and FFXII are really, really good.

Squire

Banned

You haven't played that many JP games or even just other FF games then.

wmlk

The problem here isn't necessarily the VA. It's the direction.

"We're drifting into the deep end."

I understand Prompto's the hyperactive type, but dude's so eloquent for stepping into a cave. What?

Guys, if you imagine the VA isn't terrible then it will magically be terrific. Close your eyes and bask in the wonder

Not even close. I said "divorce from the idea of what you think they should sound like." Too often I see Japanese products get panned for their dubs because some can't get used to someone else voicing the same character. Does Japanese VA's sound better? Usually. Does that mean the English is bad? No. All too often you see people say it's bad when all it is, is the characters not sounding the same/"as good" as their Japanese counterparts. I remember some argued this for FFXII back when that was shown. Point is, just because one is better than the other doesn't automatically make the other "terrible."

Glad the Xbox One version looks good as well. Hoping for that PC release.
The dub isn't that bad. Hell the only games that get really bad dubs that I remember were really budget Japanese games on the PS2 and some recently last generation.

Point is, just because one is better than the other doesn't automatically make the other "terrible."

Yup.

SPAW

I just think some though are so used to how the Japanese cast sound that they had this expectation for the characters to sound exactly like their Japanese counterparts. That would've made for a much worse dub. It almost always does when that's the intention.

Agreed, the first trailer using English voices was atrocious, but this newest segment was much more bearable. Perhaps it is because this is the first trailer where I heard the English voices first?

Not even close. I said "divorce from the idea of what you think they should sound like." Too often I see Japanese products get panned for their dubs because some can't get used to someone else voicing the same character. Does Japanese VA's sound better? Usually. Does that mean the English is bad? No. All too often you see people say it's bad when all it is, is the characters not sounding the same/"as good" as their Japanese counterparts. I remember some argued this for FFXII back when that was shown. Point is, just because one is better than the other doesn't automatically make the other "terrible."

This is actually my problem. The VA sounded a lot better here than in the trailers. But if I get the option for the Japanese voices I will, and its probably since we have been hearing only Japanese voices all these years and I have gotten so used to it, watching/rewatching all the trailers. There isn't really any turning back now.

Top Bottom