• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Explorers (3DS) : official website opens [Up: more screenshots]

From the site:

main_visual_retina.jpg

world_image_retina.jpg

fire_cave_image.jpg

town_image.jpg

monster_ifrit_illust_retina.png

Rakzo

Banned
Final Fantasy Monster Hunter?

I... I have no complaints at all, Square-Enix actually did something logical and cool.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Oh cool, let's hope it's good :), I like the artstyle. And guys, Bravely Default is pretty much the Final Fantasy of the system.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Has multiplayer been confirmed for this game? I would love to get some more MH-esque local/online multiplayer.

TreIII

I like the idea behind it, looks like it'll be fun.

I hope the gameplay is closer to Phantasy Star Portable rather than Monster Hunter though, since my experience with Monster Hunter was that it felt really, really clunky and slow. It wasn't for me.
I loved the heck out of Phantasy Star Portable though.

I like MonHun alright, but PSPortable was my baby. Anything that might be closer to that would be welcome by me. Especially since games closer to PSPortable's style are fewer in supply and, otherwise, only Nova on Vita seems to be the one carrying that on.

explodet

I'm left wondering how much of the game is focused on actual exploring.

But I guess "Final Fantasy - Kicking Summoned Monster Ass" doesn't make for a great title.

If both Theatrhythms can get localized, I'd say the chances are pretty solid (if not certain).

I dunno, Theatrhythm requires far less in the way of localization and was a better profit-maker with the chances of DLC. Plus they were going to have to localize it, anyway, with the iOS version.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I dunno, Theatrhythm requires far less in the way of localization and was a better profit-maker with the chances of DLC. Plus they were going to have to localize it, anyway, with the iOS version.

You missed a perfect "Were the Theatrhythm games really even localized?" joke there.

We'll see if Curtain Call gets more work on it but somehow I doubt it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It looks half great, half incredibly generic

Exactly what I thought. Not sure if I want a MH FF anyway.

I guess it was only a matter of time before someone got a big game out aiming at that MH fanbase on 3DS.

DarkKyo

The art style is very much so on the safe side but it does have a certain charm to it that comes from it being yet another new generic Final Fantasy title. I'll play it for sure! I hope it has many jobs to pick from. Handheld multiplayer Final Fantasy is always the best.

Insaniac

I really hope this is great. My dream game would be in the vein of crystal chronicles, with more developed combat, and more RPG aspects. Hopefully its more exploration rather than hunting a big monster like MonHun (Cause i have MonHun for taht :p)

Oregano

Tsuyoshi Sekito guarantees and awesome soundtrack. Interestingly he played Guitar for the Crystal Bearers soundtrack.

I would be lyingif I said I didn't want Kumi Tanioka music though.

Last year they made a comment about how the performance of MH4 made them reconsider the potential of the 3ds. I thought they were talking about "core games" and their place on the system, but it seems they were just lurking the mh money.
At least bravely second is coming. Let's hope this one won't have the chapter 5-8 syndrom.

solomon

Can't wait, the dungeon crawlers crystal Chronicles low key are my favorite in the FF series. Now lets see how this play's out with a monster hunter like engine.

It's hard for me to get into Monster Hunter, but this game has piqued my interest and maybe it will help me grow into the MH games.
I really love the artwork, and have been waiting for another 3DS FF title. We have only gotten Theatrhythm, final fantasy-wise for the 3DS, right? I welcome more spin-offs!

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Wow, this looks great.

Dr. Buni

Hope this has at least 70% of the quality of the Monster Hunter series. It certainly sounds interesting. Hope it is more of a monster hunter game than a RPG.

I rage every time I hear "monster hunter genre" It's just an action RPG. Phantasy Star had it first, and I'm possibly others. Regardless, I'm excited for this game.

ramyeon

I'm confused these days when Monster Hunter comparisons come up. A lot of you see PSO as part of the same genre as MH so I don't really know what to think...
I think in this case it is tough to say. Yes, the environments and HUB look like they inspired by MH but we have absolutely no idea what this plays like. For all we know it could lean closer to something like Ragnarok Odyssey in terms of actual gameplay and that seems more likely to me to be honest.
I rage every time I hear "monster hunter genre" It's just an action RPG. Phantasy Star had it first, and I'm possibly others. Regardless, I'm excited for this game.
It's "Hunting Action" really. MonHun and other Hunting Action games differ enough from PSO and typical Action RPGs enough to be classed as their own genre.

duckroll

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201406/17055338.html

p0O8XyY.jpg

Toshiyuki Itahana is credited for the image illustration, Atsushi Hashimoto is the director (no idea who he is), and Takahiro Abe is the project manager (CT DS, FFIV DS). There's going to be more stuff in the actual magazine feature, but the short extract in the preview article confirms that the game will have both local and online multiplayer, and that while they're aware that people think of Crystal Chronicles when they think of a multiplayer FF, this game will play differently and have more emphasis on the action. They also mention that it's similar to other "multiplayer online games" which I guess suggests it'll have a hub/lobby system which lead into missions.

Top Bottom