• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Explorers (3DS) : official website opens [Up: more screenshots]

duckroll

The fact that we are still waiting for a trailer or that SE didn't use the small gaming convention called e3 to announce the game just shows how out of touch they are. And it doesn't matter of the game is a 2015 release here, because many games that got shown at e3 won't be out till next year like Project Steam.

You seem to be assuming that Square Enix has plans to release this outside of Japan. Lol. They're not interested in releasing Bravely Default or any of the 3DS Dragon Quest games outside of Japan, so that's a dangerous assumption to make. :p

them jaggies, would like to see it in motion before I make a final judgement but i like the idea, at least Square Enix are doing something with their 3DS fanbase i guess. Need more Dragon Quest VII already.

Kitoro

The visuals have a very Nintendo DS styling to me. I wonder if this started as a DS game that got shelved a few years back, and is now getting enhanced a bit?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
You seem to be assuming that Square Enix has plans to release this outside of Japan. Lol. They're not interested in releasing Bravely Default or any of the 3DS Dragon Quest games outside of Japan, so that's a dangerous assumption to make. :p
True, I am just expecting a western release because it's flat out called Final Fantasy and they brought over Theatrhythm, even though the localization for that one must have peen quite cheap. Bravely Default and MH3U 3DS sold quite well in western markets, so SE should be interested in offering the game to Western players as well.

Then again they might bring it over as PS4/One remake and just forget the 3DS version for these markets or even better a F2P mobile version.

Eh, after seeing the newest screens, im not so impressed. Game would have benefitted from being on more powerful hardware. Still on my watch list but not looking like a must buy.
Here comes the hardware posts...

It's not 3DS fault the game looks horrible.

zeromcd73

When this wasn't announced at E3 I thought the exact same thing. Glad to have purchased a Japanese 3DS.

mXKumhA.jpg
cPaqvlA.jpg

nmXux0l.jpg
Exiv2Xo.jpg

JCX

If this actually has stats levels, I'll play it. I'm not a fan of heavy item crafting systems in any game, which has been my MH entry barrier.

Mael

Again, all 3ds games look like trash in screenshots. This isn't news.

It will look fine on the hardware proper.

I am not disputing that 3ds games would look worse in screenshot, I'm saying it's not the resolution that make it bad.
Look up a screenshot with monsters in MH3U or MH4 you'll see how much more geometry there is compared to this game.
moving images won't hide the low poly.

atbigelow

Apparently nobody in this thread can remember what Nintendo DS games look like. Not saying the Iron Giant model is fantastic, but there's a hell of a lot more going on than is possible on the DS. Other than the absolutely absurd bloom and the bad IG model, the texturing is pretty solid stuff. Here's hoping it's 60 FPS, but I doubt it.

I am not disputing that 3ds games would look worse in screenshot, I'm saying it's not the resolution that make it bad.
Look up a screenshot with monsters in MH3U or MH4 you'll see how much more geometry there is compared to this game.
moving images won't hide the low poly.

It depends on what this game is pushing in terms of particle effects, frame rate, etc. We just don't know, and we can't until there's a video.

Malyse

Can we start using "hunting action game" instead of "monster hunter clone"? Mainly because this seems closer to Phantasy Star style instead of Monster Hunter style...

CTLance

Not liking those screens. I mean, they're not bad or anything, but they're also not very good, even by 3DS standards. Considering that these are cherry-picked staged screens intended to entice us, my confidence in the game and its devs has decreased a bit. Still gonna stick around and keep an eye on this because the concept sure sounds nice.

Also, that bloom is annoying. What the hell.

Mael

It depends on what this game is pushing in terms of particle effects, frame rate, etc. We just don't know, and we can't until there's a video.

I'm already positive that it's probably not going to look as good as BD or even most of the stuffs Nintendo is putting on it.
It could pass for a launch title really.

This and Fantasy Life, look interesting. Will definitely keep an eye on it.

Completely forgot about Fantasy Life, thanks for reminding me. It would be nice to see some JRPGs pop-up on the Wii U, but it's understandable that everything is going to the 3DS due to the install base. I suppose it's still early days for the former.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I can see people being disappointed by these screens when comparing it to stuff that SE delivered on the PSP - titles like Crisis Core, BbS or Type-0 back then pushed the system, it seems like this FF game wont do the same for the 3DS. But if it plays and runs well ( smooth framerate) i will be more than satisfied.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/19/final-fantasy-explorers-screenshots-show-games-visual-style/

Q: What kind of game is Final Fantasy Explorers?

A: It’s the latest in the Final Fantasy series. It’s a new series that will have plenty of action characteristics while focusing on the party play that requires strategizing to take on Summons.

Q: Please tell us more about partying!

A: Parties feature four members. They can consist of four friends playing together or even have one friend and two monsters, and other possibilities depending on the situation. Of course, you can also play on Wi-Fi to party up with friends who live far away.

Q: Once you select a job, can you change it afterwards?

A: You can switch out jobs prior to taking on a quest. Jobs are a crucial factor when it comes to playing with a party. Whether you want to be a healer or go on the offense, you can pick whichever job that would be most suitable.

Q: Do you need a lot of people to play?

A: You can also play with just one person. While we still haven’t shown it yet, the game’s system will have you party with monsters when playing solo.

Q: What exactly are these “jobs” from the Final Fantasy series?

A: They are basically classes. The Knights, who have high defense, are the shield that protects the party. The martial artist Monks have high offense to take out enemies. For heals, there are White Mages, and all kinds of other jobs with their own abilities that have appeared throughout the series.

Q: How many jobs are there?

A: There are dozens of jobs, so please look forward to future announcements!

http://gematsu.com/2014/06/final-fantasy-explorers-world-crystals-first-areas-detailed

World View

From the rapid movement of the earth’s crust, a new island called “Amostra” was born.

An enormous amount of “Crystals” are buried on the island of Amostra, and those who gather them are called “Explorers.” One by one, they set foot on the island.

However, the beasts who protect the natural world stand in the way of the Explorers trying to gather the Crystals, making it a difficult voyage.

Crystals

The stars are the source of energy, which is being drained away by mystical crystals.

All life on this planet has been bestowed with souls of their own by the blessings of the “Crystals,” in turn evolving over time.

And now, humans have used the power of these lives to develop their civilizations.

Areas

Libertas (Home Town) - The home base of the story. Here, Explorers can accept jobs that can be carried out in various regions. There is also all kinds of shops and an “Airship” to take you to different areas. At the center of the city is a giant crystal, of which there are different ways to make use of.

Regi Plains - An area players will visit early in the game. At the depths of the plains, you’ll find a crystal known as the “Grand Crystal,” which is said to be the origin of this world. By the energy of said crystal, the human race has developed.

Hibato Volcano - An area filled with magma. Within these flames of purgatory, the beast Ifrit lies dormant. The series’ familiar Bomb monster also lurks here.

Hype!

Jomjom

Banned
Oh crap this is awesome. It's like Lord of Arcana but with the actual FF branding and FF characters. I never understood why they didn't just make that Final Fantasy since it had a lot of the FF monsters to hunt and it was made by Swery!

Shame that the graphics look about the same though.

Top Bottom