• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Portal App (w/ Triple Triad) is now avaliable for Android/iOS

It wouldnt be so bad if you only lost crystals when you lost a match, but to lose one every time you play, regardless of the outcome?

Come on.... this is microtransactions 101, and I will not cave!

Also, put me in the same boat as the others, if this was a £10 app, I wouldn't even think twice, I would just buy it there and then!

So, I got the free FF1 game. Turns out, at least on android, whenever you leave the app to answer a call, read a text or what have you, going back to the game instead restarts the entire portal app, restarting your game unless you save it. Does it work the same on ios? I hope they at least change this.

Also, what are the chances that square will adjust the triple triade stamina bar?

And any easy way to get to the portal's video portion to get more points? So far the only way is to go all the way to the home page

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
It appears this is separate from FF14 Triple Triad? If so, missed opportunity. I remember when I madly posted about it on their forums that they should do this, way back in 2010.
They're planning on linking the app with XIV, the major thing holding them back was that until yesterday the app was only available in Japan.

Yoshida confirmed that Square Enix is working on releasing the Final Fantasy Portal app, currently released only in Japan, in other regions. He further assured us that until he can be sure that the app is available worldwide and the data from the app can be connected to in-game activities worldwide, they will not be adding that functionality to the Japanese version of the app. In other words, nobody will be able to use the app to play Triple Triad, and gain an advantage in game, until everyone has the same opportunity.

http://gamerescape.com/2015/03/09/pax-east-interview-with-naoki-yoshida/

Now that the app is out in English I wouldn't be surprised if XIV's 3.1 Gold Saucer update activates the link with the app.

So, I got the free FF1 game. Turns out, at least on android, whenever you leave the app to answer a call, read a text or what have you, going back to the game instead restarts the entire portal app, restarting your game unless you save it. Does it work the same on ios? I hope they at least change this.

Also, what are the chances that square will adjust the triple triade stamina bar?

And any easy way to get to the portal's video portion to get more points? So far the only way is to go all the way to the home page
On ios it stays on where you left it. If you want to go back to the main menu you have to go to the start screen for FF and click the portal app button.

B-Dex

Good luck ever finding a verses match with 3+ rule variants that match what you've chosen.

Even finding matches with no rule changes takes too long.

I deleted the app. I thought I would get more points starting out cause I've been a
Square member forever and bought a ton of games. Getting decent cards on Triple Triad will take a ton of points.

Anyone playing the TT via Bluestacks?
Is it possible to sync my smartphone account with the on in the Bluestacks?
Playing this on my laptop would be amazing.

Edit: Tried it, and it synced perfectly.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
They're planning on linking the app with XIV, the major thing holding them back was that until yesterday the app was only available in Japan.

Now that the app is out in English I wouldn't be surprised if XIV's 3.1 Gold Saucer update activates the link with the app.

On ios it stays on where you left it. If you want to go back to the main menu you have to go to the start screen for FF and click the portal app button.

Does XIV even have the same cards as this version of Triple Triad?

Also, anyone having problems with getting online matches? Tried a few times and I never found anyone to play with.

Ferrio

Banned
You know the timer crap I really don't mind in this game due to the nature of collecting cards, but the timer could be a bit shorter... like 10 minutes.

KTO

Does XIV even have the same cards as this version of Triple Triad?

no, not even a little bit. I don't think the two are compatible at all, even the FFXIV cards in the app have different values than their app counterpart. This strongly smells of BS.

Busaiku

I have a ton of games that I got and barely touched, but this is the first mobile game that actually has me hooked.
Course I'm not gonna drop any money, but I'm playing often.

Slaythe

They had the opportunity to make this huge.

And they fucked it up and buried it under absolutely horrid """""F2p""""" shit.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
no, not even a little bit. I don't think the two are compatible at all, even the FFXIV cards in the app have different values than their app counterpart. This strongly smells of BS.

Yeah that's what I remembered as well from months ago when I played a bit of XIV.Thought there might have been changes.Have they mentioned anything officially? Maybe this is just fans being wishful based on something talked about by the producers a long time ago.

Arkeband

Banned

They do? The FFXIV cards I've seen are the same.

KTO

Yeah that's what I remembered as well from months ago when I played a bit of XIV.Thought there might have been changes.Have they mentioned anything officially? Maybe this is just fans being wishful based on something talked about by the producers a long time ago.
They do? The FFXIV cards I've seen are the same.

I'll be damned maybe they do. I didn't remember Scarface Bugaal Ja having three 6 sides which is what I based my assertion on, but i guess he does. I think I got him confused with the Amalj'aa card. So maybe it is a possibility. One of the more interesting rulesets from XIV was the ascend and descend, If they are compatible I hope they can incorporate that.

Slaythe

Huge in community-wise or income-wise?

It's a card game.

Easily both.

Make rare cards hard to motivate people to take risks (and maybe spend money to try again) , but don't block the whole fucking game as well as versus mode behind a pay wall. (and the current timer is so bad it's pretty much a pay wall)

I mean hell, hearthstone is a brilliant example.

This is virtually shit. Might as well play FF14 or boot up FF8 on android.

Forkball

You get a free crystal every time you beat an opponent in hard mode, so you could wombo combo yourself to a one crystal sweep victory.

Also I'm still not getting how sometimes the rules will activate but sometimes they won't. Like I just played a game with the Same rule variation. Can combos go in an L shape? I swear I had three cards with 8s touching each other at the right spot, but they didn't flip.

Vorpal

ilu Triple Triad. Seems like online versus is a good way to get strong cards early on but really, who cares about strong cards? I just want Faris and Lenna so I can complete my FFV party dang it

Also, does anyone know what the "Valid until end of month: 0" message means under "Current Point Total" in the Portal App? Do points get wiped at the end of each month? That would be a bum deal if so. Between the login bonus, watching every video, and locating a bunch of "Get Points" buttons in the app, I've racked up a grand total of 25 points.

Arkeband

Banned
I'm having an issue where I've done all the Easy fights and am halfway through Normal, and I've seen it alert me that I've unlocked X variation modes (Plus, Same, etc), but for some reason the only one I have in versus mode is All Open. Is anyone else running into this?

Vorpal

I'm having an issue where I've done all the Easy fights and am halfway through Normal, and I've seen it alert me that I've unlocked X variation modes (Plus, Same, etc), but for some reason the only one I have in versus mode is All Open. Is anyone else running into this?

Have you completed an online versus match? After my first match, all of the other rule variations unlocked.

Arkeband

Banned
Have you completed an online versus match? After my first match, all of the other rule variations unlocked.

That was it. It looks like I should have had Plus and Same and those already unlocked but it unlocked them all once it unlocked Chaos, Fallen Ace, etc. Might be a minor glitch, but I have them all now.

This is now the only mobile game I will have on my phone. My SIII gets so hot if I play a 5-crystal session.

I really hope they bring this to Steam or something. I mean, come on! Just figure out a way to make up for the loss of the stamina gauge (which would probably mean monetizing card packs).

I just want to have my cake and eat it, too.

Does it have the old school music? If not, I'm not buying.
Sure does, along with the FFVIII victory theme when you win, etc.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I hate the plus rule.

On the brighter side I have a full deck of 4* now! Almost to hard where I can work on those 5*. Will only do multiplayer once I have a full deck of 5*.

Cool this should be fun. Triple Triad was amazing in FF8.

I'm not microtransactioning anything though. Haven't done it on any mobile game. I'm sure this won't be any different.

It's a card game.

Easily both.

Make rare cards hard to motivate people to take risks (and maybe spend money to try again) , but don't block the whole fucking game as well as versus mode behind a pay wall. (and the current timer is so bad it's pretty much a pay wall)

I mean hell, hearthstone is a brilliant example.

This is virtually shit. Might as well play FF14 or boot up FF8 on android.

Well, yeah.
At least the crystal/stamina system kills the enjoyment for me. This app really need a standalone version as well, or perhaps even a revamped PC/console version. Put $20 price tag on it and I'm sold.

Same and plus together needs to go.

I've always hated Same and Plus rule. That hasn't changed.

GIVE ME A WAY TO ABOLISH IT.

Same and plus are two-sided blade.
Sometimes they work well on us, and sometimes (read: most of the time) they work well on NPCs.

Forkball

Cloud is still wrecking me. I had him until he pulled out some BS that wiped almost all my cards. I'm going to change up my deck to finally beat him.

...in 15 minutes when the crystal reloads.

Razmos

Fought Cloud on normal difficulty, the first time I fought him he had a 4* Cait Sith card that I really wanted, then we ended up in a draw :(
Then I fought him again and he used Plus rule hacks to absolutely wreck me. fuck that rule, and it's even worse that it seems to become the most common rule after a point

EDIT: But then I won the Cait Sith card straight after, woop woop, first 4* :3

According to his card list, it's the only 4* card he has as well, awesome.
In fact, Cloud is the only character on normal difficulty to drop 4* cards, up until Tidus. If you are struggling with Cloud onwards he might be a good farming spot.

Forkball

Fought Cloud on normal difficulty, the first time I fought him he had a 4* Cait Sith card that I really wanted, then we ended up in a draw :(
Then I fought him again and he used Plus rule hacks to absolutely wreck me. fuck that rule, and it's even worse that it seems to become the most common rule after a point

EDIT: But then I won the Cait Sith card straight after, woop woop, first 4* :3

According to his card list, it's the only 4* card he has as well, awesome.
In fact, Cloud is the only character on normal difficulty to drop 4* cards, up until Tidus. If you are struggling with Cloud onwards he might be a good farming spot.

I'm fighting him on hard mode though. He's not dropping Cait Siths, like every card has a 9 on it somewhere. TYPICALLY THE PLACE HE NEEDS IT TO SCREW YOU.

Wazzy

Banned
Where can I see that card list?
Is there a wiki or something out there?

If you check Notices which is in the menu section, there's one and only one saying Card Additions. Click it to see what each character's difficulty has the chance of netting you specific cards.

wonzo

Banned
dont know if its game center but this game refuses to match me with other players. the dumb stamina thing is bad enough without this shit too…

ss_lemonade

Seeing how FF 1 is free, I decided to give it a quick try. Game looks and runs great on my android phone but why does it look and run the complete opposite on my ipad air 2? Its missing certain visual elements and doesn't even run at 60fps.

There is absolutely no difference from a draw and a loss, considering both take up one of your 5 attempts of that 3 hour block...Hell, I'm beginning to feel like winning a card isn't even worth it sometimes.

This game's biggest strength, its addictiveness, doesn't even work. I can't play long enough to get in the groove and feel urged to drop dollars to play more. I stop playing the moment I start. No momentum.

If the stamina bar is what kills triple triad, I swear to god....

Top Bottom