• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

Does this require grinding or can you just switch out regularly without everyone ending up too low level to progress? I am not against grinding if needed, just want to plan things correct from the start.

You can change characters either when one of your dies or in a save point.

I actually managed to maintain all 14 characters in my first playthrough without grinding, but I did a lot of sidequests.

9 should be easily doable.

RDreamer

Picking this up from Gamestop at midnight! So excited to finally play it, since my PSP died shortly after importing the JPN version and never got around to replacing it.

Haha, this is exactly the same story with me. My battery got fucked and my PSP would suddenly just die, even while plugged in. Got way too annoying to play anything, and I just haven't picked up another one or battery.

Grabbing mine at the midnight release tonight, too. Looking forward to it, though I was a bit skeptical of what I actually did play already.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Aw, that's too bad... You can't change difficulties during a playthrough right ?

Decisions, decisions...

There are a few moments where you need to use more than one team. Maybe just one? I'm not too sure anymore.

Game is brutal though, you can die in just a few hits. So you need to be pretty good or have a few decent reserve characters.

I think you can. I will have to double check.

Zareka

Man, I'm tempted to try and pick this up (I can't entirely say I'm not influenced by the XV demo) but my previous experiences with the series is holding me back. I heard great things about FFX but I've been mind numbingly bored the entire 10+ hours I've been at it. FFVII has a fun battle system but it's age is incredibly off putting. XIII was meh and I love XIV.

The gameplay at least sounds very different. I'm just worried I'll be put off by the characters and story. That stuff murders games for me.

Man, I'm tempted to try and pick this up (I can't entirely say I'm not influenced by the XV demo) but my previous experiences with the series is holding me back. I heard great things about FFX but I've been mind numbingly bored the entire 10+ hours I've been at it. FFVII has a fun battle system but it's age is incredibly off putting. XIII was meh and I love XIV.

The gameplay at least sounds very different. I'm just worried I'll be out off by the characters and story. That stuff murders games for me.

Well, after the reviews came out and opinions on the story of the game were all over the place, I don't think anyone can come up to you and say if the story is good or bad.

I'll say this, the story is elaborate, and the world has a lot of lore (not all of which you need to know, but some that helps if you do).

FYI West Coasters

Retailers are selling this at 9pm tonight! I just called my local Walmart and Gamestop for the heck of it to see if they'd sell early and both are doing so at 9 though Gamestop is handing out tickets at 6. I guess it being 12 on the east coast is good enough now....wonder if this is a new thing or unique for this game.

I wonder what the best 3 characters are to pick...

That's what I've been trying to figure out but no one here answered. From poking around online, Rem is stated unanimously for mage spot and then usually King for range and either Jack or Queen for melee. I think I'm going to go Queen-King-Rem since Queen is fast and Jack is slow and I prefer quick characters plus she has lightning attacks which sounds cool.

Qblivion

Amazon didn't ship my copy till today so I won't get it till Wednesday. Is there anything I can do when I have prime and didn't pay for shipping in the first place?

Kagari liked the game so if it sucks, I blame her.

this.

Thoug hI did take her advice about lightning returns and skipped that, probably dodged a bullet there

Amazon didn't ship my copy till today so I won't get it till Wednesday. Is there anything I can do when I have prime and didn't pay for shipping in the first place?

Ordered mine from Walmart during the $40 preorder sale/price mistake. Game ships tomorrow, estimated delivery date is 3/24 :/

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I can't belive we actually have so much FF goodness in one year. Type 0 HD, the demo and FFX PS4...i don't know how i'm going to survive this.

Zukuu

Banned
There is just so many! I can't even choose.
Doesn't really matter. Ace is probably the most cheap. Used him as a back up if all of my 3 main characters were to die (he was still half their level or so), since you can kite with him forever, and it's easy to hit 'breaks' since he is so spamy, speedy and ranged.
You need a range char for some bosses tho, so be sure to include one in your main group. I used Nine as main melee character, King as a ranged and Rem as amage / healer. The game forces you to occasionally split your group, so you're stuck with one of your main characters and the vastly underleveled rest of the group, so have fun dealing with that - not that it actually matters tho, since the later bosses are all 'Break-Only', so if you're level 1 or 99 only plays a minor role.

Fee

FYI West Coasters

Retailers are selling this at 9pm tonight! I just called my local Walmart and Gamestop for the heck of it to see if they'd sell early and both are doing so at 9 though Gamestop is handing out tickets at 6. I guess it being 12 on the east coast is good enough now....wonder if this is a new thing or unique for this game.

The new Battlefield releases tonight, there is a midnight event at some retailers. While these events are for the featured game, you can buy any new release.

I mained Ace, Try and Deuce for the most part. King, Cater and Queen as backups.
Didn't try out Rem? Reading him or her is OP by the end at least.
Kagari liked the game so if it sucks, I blame her.

Ha, I'm partially taking a chance because of her and also because I've read in multiple places that it has a dark story for an FF which intrigues me. These are the reasons I'm using to justify paying 60 for FFXV demo ;P I'm definitely interested in trying out type-0 though, love the series as a whole and this one is supposed to be pretty unique amongst FF games for a number of reasons.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Didn't try out Rem? Reading him or her is OP by the end at least.

Ha, I'm partially taking a chance because of her and also because I've read in multiple places that it has a dark story for an FF which intrigues me. These are the reasons I'm using to justify paying 60 for FFXV demo ;P I'm definitely interested in trying out type-0 though, love the series as a whole and this one is supposed to be pretty unique amongst FF games for a number of reasons.

I like playing ranged characters more.

I will have this tomorrow and I cannot wait. Everything I've seen on this game has me hyped.

Unfortunate I must let FFXIV fall by the wayside.

Zareka

Well, after the reviews came out and opinions on the story of the game were all over the place, I don't think anyone can come up to you and say if the story is good or bad.

I'll say this, the story is elaborate, and the world has a lot of lore (not all of which you need to know, but some that helps if you do).
Hmm...I guess I'll hunt around for some reviews and see if anything piques my interest. At the very least I'll have a JRPG to sink some time in to. It's been a while since I found a good JRPG to play.

The new Battlefield releases tonight, there is a midnight event at some retailers. While these events are for the featured game, you can buy any new release.
Oh I just meant if it was usual for west coast stores to go off of it being 12 on the east coast. Used to have to wait until midnight local time. I haven't been willing to go to one of those in years but 9pm I can do ;) That's interesting that you can get any game released on that day then though, didn't know that.
I like playing ranged characters more.

Isn't Deuce a mage? So could have tried swapping her for Rem?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Oh I just meant if it was usual for west coast stores to go off of it being 12 on the east coast. Used to have to wait until midnight local time. I haven't been willing to go to one of those in years but 9pm I can do ;) That's interesting that you can get any game released on that day then though, didn't know that.

She's a good healer/buff character.

Zukuu

Banned

That's the flute girl right? She ain't no good imo. Her attacks are weird and everything she does takes forever, so she is a liability when it comes to mobility. Rem is much better.

rybrad

You can change characters either when one of your dies or in a save point.

I actually managed to maintain all 14 characters in my first playthrough without grinding, but I did a lot of sidequests.

9 should be easily doable.
Cool, thanks for the info. I am usually a side-quest fiend so that should work out well for me.

Well... it's not good. It's just a blurry mess that's entirely way too sensitive. It takes some getting used to but I can see a lot of people not liking it.
Does it seem like something they could improve with a patch or just an inherent issue with the games origin?

TheExodu5

Banned
Sadly, I think I will skip this for now. Too close to Bloodborne release, and $70 is more than I'm willing to pay considering the game's shortcomings and handheld roots.

I do look forward to playing it at some point, though I suppose I'll have to miss out on playing the FF XV demo.

Some tips on choosing your team.

-Have melee/ranged/mage (a character can fill more than one position)

-The biggest difference in choosing a mage is who to pick, because they have different amounts of MP, and their abilities vary
For instance: Rem can cancel her attack into a finisher, and cancel the finisher into a magic, negating the cast time. And she has a lot of MP; Queen also has a lot of MP, and she can cancel out of the last hit of her combo into the -Ga version of that magic once you level up, so she deals more damage.

-Best melee character varies, Nine is good from the get-go, but Eight is possibly the best after you equip him well and level up (he can also do combos and use a self-heal for free).

-Ranged character just needs to be learned, as all of them are pretty much equally viable (Ace probably having an advantage over the rest, since he has a very strong melee attack as well).

Those are basic tips. I for one used Cater, Eight and Queen as my mains (but I would change them constantly).

Also, Deuce is slow but OP, and I think she deals the most damage once you learn her.

zennyzz

I wonder what the best 3 characters are to pick...

If you notice the character trailers. They exemplify which characters best compliment each other.

For instance. Ace-Queen-Nine are considered the default, at least from Tabata and his team's point of view and I generally agree that those three compliment each other.

I would say however you master 6 of the 14. Cause you're going to die.

A lot.

Is there a way to tell whether an ability is a command action or just an automatic thing? The auto icon makes sense but then some of the down arrow ones seem to be as well....and the arrow squares.

Cool, thanks for the info. I am usually a side-quest fiend so that should work out well for me.

Does it seem like something they could improve with a patch or just an inherent issue with the games origin?
if they can get rid of the blurring, then the camera would just take some getting used to its touchiness

RPGCrazied

Well, video games are subjective of course. What I like you may not but I was right about Lightning Returns ;)

Lightning Returns was awful. No party members, force time limit. Was just not for me. Should have at least had Noel with her and no time limit.

Zukuu

Banned
I dunno if they fixed that for the PS4 version, but in the PSP version most side quests were 20-30(!) levels ABOVE the 'main quest' target. e.g. Level 20 main quest and side quests level 55. I never fled from battles and grinded intensely for at least ~10 hours and still wasn't able to actually tackle them. And that grind time was ONLY for my 3 main characters. So good luck keeping all up. It's just dumb and one of the reasons why the game was such a chore to enjoy / finish to me.

zennyzz

Deuce is probably the best example of a character who seems useless from the beginning, but the moment that you really master her, she jumps up to a character that can destroy missions so easily you almost forget her HP is one of the worst.

That flute is the ultimate weapon

I dunno if they fixed that for the PS4 version, but in the PSP version most side quests were 20-30(!) levels ABOVE the 'main quest' target. e.g. Level 20 main quest and side quests level 55. I never fled from battles and grinded intensely for at least ~10 hours and still wasn't able to actually tackle them. And that grind time was ONLY for my 3 main characters. So good luck keeping all up. It's just dumb and one of the reasons why the game was such a chore to enjoy / finish to me.

Side missions are meant for NG+, that's why they start at level 35.

There's also normal quests in the game (in the academy and towns) that are your level.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

No... I think the camera was deliberately done the way it is to hide the PSP limitations.

Zukuu

Banned
Side missions are meant for NG+, that's why they start at level 35.

There's also normal quests in the game (in the academy and towns) that are your level.
Case in point: It's a dumb design. Why bother showing them in the 'normal' play-through when they aren't doable, or even more important why the fuck not just make them doable to begin with? I actually finished those level 20-35+ missions. The rest wasn't doable by any means.

And oh my god, the 'war' minigame - wtf were they thinking. >_<

Top Bottom