• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD PC |OT| Hexa-Dos and Don'ts

Arkeband

Banned
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/340170/

Developer/Publisher: Square-Enix
Platforms: PC (Steam)
Release Date: August 18th (Worldwide)
Price: $29.99/24.99€/19.99£

System Requirements:
Minimum:
OS: Windows 10 64 Bit, Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1
Processor: CPU Core i3 2.5GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: GTX560Ti or AMD Radeon 7790 mp4 [H.264]
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 30 GB available space

Recommended:

OS: Windows 10 64 Bit, Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1
Processor: CPU Core i5 2.7GHz
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: GTX750 mp4 [H.264]
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 30 GB available space

SYNOPSIS:
Step into the fray as Class Zero, a group of students from an elite military academy whose country is attacked by an aggressive neighbouring Empire. In the brutal and harrowing struggle that follows, defeat the Empire and uncover the secrets behind the war using a range of powerful magical and combat abilities and an exciting new battle system.

Features New to PC:
◾Upgraded graphics resolution options for high end pc’s
(This is currently somewhat broken, the only options are 720p and 1080p, with 4K downsampling built into the AA options)
◾Improved in-game battle camera
◾Full controller support
◾Full STEAM achievements and trading cards
◾Scalable motion blur settings
◾New Character speed boost (see here: http://gfycat.com/WelloffIdioticKitten - thanks Dinjoralo!)
◾Increased blood levels from the original PSP version (Comparison here: http://i.imgur.com/j5UEhLw.png)
◾Customizable dynamic screen shot mode (Examples can be found here.)

IF YOU'RE HAVING ISSUES RUNNING THE GAME:
LOW FPS/POOR PERFORMANCE:
Durante has written an article featured on PCGamer HERE. This goes into detail of what the graphical options really mean and how you might need to adjust them.
GAME WILL NOT START:
Fix for game not starting (missing mfreadwrite.dll and mfplat.dll)
If you click on the "start game" button in the Launcher and it does nothing, try starting the game directly from the game .exe in the WIN folder. If you get those 2 error mentioned in the title, you need to download the "Media Feature Pack" for your windows version. After you install the pack, restart your computer and you should be able to launch your game from the launcher.
Alternatively,
Download this file, put it in here: Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 HD/WIN
GAME STILL WON'T START/WON'T DOWNLOAD:
If the game only downloads the patch or crashes once you boot it, make sure you're running it on a 64 bit OS.
WHAT IS "COLOR CORRECTION TYPE P, D, T?"
This is for Color Blindness. The different anomalous conditions are Protanomaly, which is a reduced sensitivity to red light, Deuteranomaly which is a reduced sensitivity to green light and is the most common form of colour blindness and Tritanomaly which is a reduced sensitivity to blue light and is extremely rare.
See these in effect here. (Thanks Apexhell)

TIPS FOR NEW PLAYERS:
◾The game is mission-based, and most side-quests cost precious hours before your next main mission. If you don't have time to complete them all, don't worry! That's what NG+ was designed for.
◾As far as trophy hunting, there are no missable achievements. However, unless you're very dedicated you won't get them all on your first playthrough.
◾There are 3-4 missable cutscenes (every cutscene is permanently added to your datalog). http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805874-final-fantasy-type-0-hd/71573004
If you finish the quest chains for Quon, Mutsuki, Carla, or Ryid in Chapter 7, you need to view the cutscene in Chapter 8 or it's gone forever.
◾NG+ also adds new missions and alternate missions. It also moves along much more quickly now that you know what to do and have a level advantage.
◾NG++ is where 'ultimate weapons' are found.
◾Higher ranks give better rewards and there are one-time completion rewards each mission, per difficulty. You can revisit any completed mission at any time through the main menu. All rewards unlocked there are kept. The highest ranks are easiest to obtain by attempting the missions solo and without help from Academia.
◾Don't worry about leveling all of your cadets - although some are more suited for certain missions, you can easily clear the game without touching half of your party. Try them all out and find ones you like the playstyle of the most.
◾Japanese audio with English subtitles! The original Japanese dub is very good.
◾If your camera seems way too jerky and chaotic while targeting, try setting both distances to 'far' and Camera to type-B (Follow).

Patches:
8/19: Fixed euro decimal place bug.
9/4: Better Lip-sync, Mouse pointer fix, Crash dump improvements.
9/18: Better mouse controls, now auto-adjusts based on controller/keyboard input, added many resolutions (now goes up to 1900x1200 and down to 1280x768)
9/30: Better camera controls.

King.png

King is best cadet.

cheesekao

So does the PC version have an option to enable the brownish fog that was present in the PSP version? It made the arenas more 'warzoney' and such.

Jeremy

Probably going to try this out when I get home. I know nothing about it but just really want to keep bringing games such as this to the PC.

Is the FFXV demo included?

Arkeband

Banned
So does the PC version have an option to enable the brownish fog that was present in the PSP version? It made the arenas more 'warzoney' and such.

No, unfortunately/fortunately, depending on personal preference, though we'll see how PC modders approach this.

Probably going to try this out when I get home. I know nothing about it but just really want to keep bringing games such as this to the PC.

Is the FFXV demo included?

Haha... nice try.

Jeremy

Has FFXV been announced for PC? There's your answer.

Didn't even realize FFXV hadn't been announced for PC! Thanks. That would have been a way to move some units on this game, announce FFXV for PC and include the first demo with this game.

pahamrick

Right now I'm pretty happy overall with the PC port, despite my earlier frustration (mostly due to the poor naming choice for the options, specifically AA.)

I've someone managed to fix the severe stuttering I was getting with any form of AA enabled (even normal). Going to assume it was something on my side, as reinstalling the driver and direct x seemed to take care of it.

As far as the game itself, it's about what I expected so I'm enjoying it.

Let me guess, the framerate is locked?

Edit: Just saw that 30fps Steam group confirm it, meh.

Added to wish list, will wait till it's cheap and see if someone can get it to run at 60.

The Finest Brew

Neo Member
There was someone in the announcement thread who couldn't force VSync on the game. I forgot your name dude, but if you're here;

How I did it is I went to AMD Catalyst Control Center. Went to Gaming>3D Application Settings, and then added fftype0hd.exe as it's own profile. From there, I went to Frame Rate Control>Wait for Vertical Refresh. That's what I set to Always On.

Dunno if it works similarly for Nvidia stuff, but that's how I fixed the FMV's being stuttery as all hell.

Didn't even realize FFXV hadn't been announced for PC! Thanks. That would have been a way to move some units on this game, announce FFXV for PC and include the first demo with this game.

a) good luck distracting the FFXV team even more to do another demo for a game that people are sick and tired of waiting around for

b) odds are, having Dota2 preorder items did more for pushing the game on PC than a demo for FFVX would've ever done on the platform

Arkeband

Banned
Can anyone remind me what they did in the patch to the motion blur in the PS4 version and how this is different?

The PS4 patch permanently reduced it to like 20% of what it was. The PC version gives you multiple blur strengths to choose from.

Added to wish list, will wait till it's cheap and see if someone can get it to run at 60.
It's been repeated until exhaustion but odds are when that happens, 60fps will break certain game mechanics since they tied game logic to framerate like Dark Souls, so set your expectations accordingly.

It's been repeated until exhaustion but odds are when that happens, 60fps will break certain game mechanics since they tied game logic to framerate like Dark Souls, so set your expectations accordingly.

I know, but I still believe haha. Thanks for answering anyways, I appreciate it.

Jeremy

a) good luck distracting the FFXV team even more to do another demo for a game that people are sick and tired of waiting around for

b) odds are, having Dota2 preorder items did more for pushing the game on PC than a demo for FFVX would've ever done on the platform

That's a good point. I don't play Dota 2 so I had forgotten about the preorder bonuses (except for the 10% off). I still think an FFXV demo would have moved more. I really just want to see it on PC.

Why do developers do this? Is it optimization or just no forethought?

That user rating though.

Seems a bit broken from the reviews I've read.

Game isnt broken. Port is just a bit lackluster or not making sense. Having a downsampling AA up to 4k, yet no possibilities to use 4k resolution.
Other than that, its a simple port.

pahamrick

That user rating though.

Seems a bit broken from the reviews I've read.

The options aren't labeled very well. Durante noticed that the highest AA setting forces the game to downsample from 4k, which probably is one issue with a lot of folks (was for me, at first).

Then the 30fps lock, and the issue with people in European countries being unable to launch the game at all due to a silly oversight. Output resolutions locked to either 720p or 1080p. Stuff like that hurts the user reviews since a lot of people will post negative reviews either out of frustration, or petty reasons (30 fps lock) shortly after launch.

Dsyndrome

Trying to think of ways to fix the cutscene stuttering / audio garble. I don't have a GSync monitor, and changing AA doesn't do anything. Enabling Vsync in the control panel also didn't help. Currently running an Nvidia 980M and getting 30FPS locked with high AA settings in-game, pre-rendered cutscenes are the only problem.

The Finest Brew

Neo Member
Trying to think of ways to fix the cutscene stuttering / audio garble. I don't have a GSync monitor, and changing AA doesn't do anything. Enabling Vsync in the control panel also didn't help. Currently running an Nvidia 980M and getting 30FPS locked with high AA settings in-game, pre-rendered cutscenes are the only problem.

Is your monitor's refresh rate above 60? I heard that fucks with it too.

pahamrick

I had to run the game in Windowed mode, then use the Borderless Gaming program to make it Windowed Borderless in order to fix the cutscene stutter & audio issues. That's on an Nvidia GTX970

Pejo

Game download finished overnight for me. I played probably 10 or so hours on the PS4 version, looking forward to jumping back in. This time I'm not going to use the leveling glitch, which I firmly believed ruin the game for me when I was playing on PS4. At least I know now which characters I want to use already.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Can someone please fly to Japan and teach these people the concept of Delta time in engine programming? For the love of god.

Shame this sounds like yet another mediocre FF port.

Makes me wonder why people are clamoring for FFXV on PC when it seems likely you'd get another one of these kinds of ports.

Mifec

Makes me wonder why people are clamoring for FFXV on PC when it seems likely you'd get another one of these kinds of ports.

Because even the bad ports are better than their console versions not to mention more people would be able to play them.

Arkeband

Banned
Thanks for thread!
Some tips for new players (and trophy hunters?) will be nice.

Good idea, I added some to the OP.

Game download finished overnight for me. I played probably 10 or so hours on the PS4 version, looking forward to jumping back in. This time I'm not going to use the leveling glitch, which I firmly believed ruin the game for me when I was playing on PS4. At least I know now which characters I want to use already.

I fell in love with the game when I was down to my last unleveled cadet and pulled a victory out of my ass, though I kind of lost leveling momentum at ~50 on the PS4, maybe I just needed to find the right place to grind. Was too addicted to leveling summons and getting A/S ranks on missions. So I can see the usefulness of the abusing the leveling glitch after this point, though I'd still not use it.

Is there any way to adjust the FOV? Can the camera be pulled back any?

There's a Camera setting in the options launcher (and maybe in-game) that is defaulted to "FAR", so it's possible to adjust it.

mieumieu

Can someone please fly to Japan and teach these people the concept of Delta time in engine programming? For the love of god.

It was an PSP game. Not using delta time will save cycles on floating point instructions.

It has been repeatedly stated that overhauling the whole game and fixing every little issues is not feasible for budget and time concern, I thought people were over this...

-Mikey-

I finished the tutorial last night and I feel like I don't have a good grasp on the combat.

As Ace, I would spam the card attack hoping for the yellow icon to turn red for an instant kill and didn't see a reason to switch to the lady that knew cura.

I'm sure with more time it'll make sense. Any videos or tips regarding the combat system?

Dark_castle

I know you like good JRPG, so do yourself a favor, skip Type-0 and buy Grandia and Suikoden 2 on PSN instead.

cheesekao

Because even the bad ports are better than their console versions not to mention more people would be able to play them.
From what I've read, the PC port of this game has issues that the console version don't so I don't really think that that can be applied here.

Caffeine

The options aren't labeled very well. Durante noticed that the highest AA setting forces the game to downsample from 4k, which probably is one issue with a lot of folks (was for me, at first).

and the high AA setting is 2880 × 1620 downsample as it says on hexadrives blog.

Koozek

CertifiedFP said:
Now, maybe I've misheard or been lied to, but I've heard quite a few times, a few times here in fact that tying things to DeltaTime creates extra CPU overhead - Which logically shouldn't be a problem for any modern PC, console, or phone since modern CPUs are at least 1GHz - But the PSP which the game was originally coded for had a 222MHz processor which, well, I'd imagine in the context of this being originally developed any unnecessary stress on the CPU was probably a thing to be avoided.
See: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=175787904&postcount=776

Arkeband

Banned
I finished the tutorial last night and I feel like I don't have a good grasp on the combat.

As Ace, I would spam the card attack hoping for the yellow icon to turn red for an instant kill and didn't see a reason to switch to the lady that knew cura.

I'm sure with more time it'll make sense. Any videos or tips regarding the combat system?

Try her out in subsequent missions, you get more freedom to switch between them. Queen's a very fast attacker and she gets very powerful later. Ace is more luck-based so his abilities just tend to become more diverse as he levels, but he's a solid cadet. His cards probably aren't the easiest weapon to land break/killsights on enemies with though.

Release a game for $30 on PC, have it look and run better than on consoles, and then have those consumers complain about it being mediocre. As a PC gamer myself, this kind of stuff makes it not surprising that many games don't get ported to PC.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
It was an PSP game. Not using delta time will save cycles on floating point instructions.

It has been repeatedly stated that overhauling the whole game and fixing every little issues is not feasible for budget and time concern, I thought people were over this...

When you charge money for a product on a platform, people tend to expect that your product works well on said platform. The end use doesn't care about budget and time concerns, but the product they are paying money for. I thought people would realize this. =P

I don't think most PC users are asking for the world, just a good, competent port.

pahamrick

Try her out in subsequent missions, you get more freedom to switch between them. Queen's a very fast attacker and she gets very powerful later. Ace is more luck-based so his abilities just tend to become more diverse as he levels, but he's a solid cadet. His cards probably aren't the easiest weapon to land break/killsights on enemies with though.

So far I've been playing with King as my main, with Ace and Queen as my main two AI partners. It's been working surprisingly well, but I've been trying to check out everyone as much as possible to see which cadet's combat style flows best for me.

mieumieu

When you charge money for a product on a platform, people tend to expect that your product works well on said platform. The end use doesn't care about budget and time concerns, but the product they are paying money for. I thought people would realize this. =P

I don't think most PC users are asking for the world, just a good, competent port.

Anyway... just forget that I asked.

Arkeband

Banned

Some complaints aren't realistic, though, like people with 32-bit OS's who didn't read minimum requirements and are also trying to play the game on Vista or something. And some other people aren't experiencing any issues.

They've already released one patch, let's see how this shakes out. If anyone finds an easy fix for the audio desync some users are seeing, I'll add that to the OP.

pahamrick

How do screen space shadows look? Wondering if it's worth sacrificing that for better IQ

You might fare better leaving Screen Space Shadows on, but with AA at the highest and SS Shadows on for me, I get terrible stutter.

As far as how they look, I don't notice much difference with them on vs off, but the highest AA setting gives a much cleaner overall IQ, since it's downsampling from 4k.

Top Bottom