• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD PC |OT| Hexa-Dos and Don'ts

SoulUnison

Banned
Until this game, I had no idea that a beaked animal could exhale through its mouth and make the same noise a horse makes when air passes forcefully through its lips. I get that chocobos are the FF equivalent of a horse, but come on.

Why couldn't it just be making that noise with throat/mouth flaps, or something?
What a specific thing find issue with, haha.

Ascheroth

So I've recently completed my first playthrough and have to say I really liked the game. The major shift from chapter 7 to 8 really was a WTF moment at first, but it somewhat made sense after a while, especially after remembering that it was basically foreshadowed the whole game with the Tempus Finis stuff.

But, there's one thing I just learned that annoys me to no end: Apparently I've permanently locked myself out of a cutscene, because I
recruited Quon
. And apparently there are 3 more such cutscenes you can permanently lock yourself out. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to lock stuff in all subsequent playthroughs if you completed a specific questline and missed doing another specific task in the current playthrough, in a game that is built around multiple playthroughs??
Ugh. I was just starting my second playthrough, but shit like this sucks all my drive away. Yes, it's just a freaking cutscene I can watch on Youtube if I really want to see it, but stuff like this makes my inner completionist scream that there's no point anymore since I'm never ever going to see everything this game has to offer unless I completely scrap those ~40 hours I've spent sofar and start anew. Yes, I also know that I probably wouldn't play enough to see everything anyway, but just knowing I couldn't even if I wanted to makes me feel like I just wasted all this time.
It's especially annoying in this case, since I went into this game with the mindset to just do whatever the hell I want and not bother about being a completionist since I would have to play it multiple times anyway, eventually seeing everything the game has to offer, since I just could do the things I missed in another playthrough.
And now this.

Sorry for the rant, but this completely retarded design-choice just flushed my motivation to continue, what I think is an otherwise amazing game, down the drain.
It's a shame, because I realize I'm being irrational and shouldn't let this bother me, but I can't change the fact that I am bothered by it, if that makes sense.

SoulUnison

Banned
Ok, I get that the game is designed around at least 2 playthroughs to see the real story and be able to tackle the tougher content but, wow. Holy shit. That was the most unsatisfying ending I've ever gotten out of a game.

Like, it was a weird enough non-sequitur of a scene to make me not even feel like jumping into New Game + for a while.

So they're all in Pandemonium fighting Cid, who's gone all One Winged Snake-Armor-Angel, and they defeat him, I guess, but they're all mortally wounded in the process. SO they...teleport back to their classroom...somehow, and start freaking out over what death means, but then they start talking about what they'd do with their lives if they had them, and there's a Scooby-Doo style "everybody laughs and the camera pans away and fade out."

Like... What?

Did I miss a scene after the credits, or something?

EDIT: Oh, there's more ending hidden *in* the credits. They were dragging on and I hit START to skip them.
Kind of an odd choice to sneak more storytelling into a credits sequence that was just text on a black background for several minutes beforehand with no hint that it might lead into something.

Arkeband

Banned
So I've recently completed my first playthrough and have to say I really liked the game. The major shift from chapter 7 to 8 really was a WTF moment at first, but it somewhat made sense after a while, especially after remembering that it was basically foreshadowed the whole game with the Tempus Finis stuff.

But, there's one thing I just learned that annoys me to no end: Apparently I've permanently locked myself out of a cutscene, because I
recruited Quon
. And apparently there are 3 more such cutscenes you can permanently lock yourself out. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to lock stuff in all subsequent playthroughs if you completed a specific questline and missed doing another specific task in the current playthrough, in a game that is built around multiple playthroughs??
Ugh. I was just starting my second playthrough, but shit like this sucks all my drive away. Yes, it's just a freaking cutscene I can watch on Youtube if I really want to see it, but stuff like this makes my inner completionist scream that there's no point anymore since I'm never ever going to see everything this game has to offer unless I completely scrap those ~40 hours I've spent sofar and start anew. Yes, I also know that I probably wouldn't play enough to see everything anyway, but just knowing I couldn't even if I wanted to makes me feel like I just wasted all this time.
It's especially annoying in this case, since I went into this game with the mindset to just do whatever the hell I want and not bother about being a completionist since I would have to play it multiple times anyway, eventually seeing everything the game has to offer, since I just could do the things I missed in another playthrough.
And now this.

Sorry for the rant, but this completely retarded design-choice just flushed my motivation to continue, what I think is an otherwise amazing game, down the drain.
It's a shame, because I realize I'm being irrational and shouldn't let this bother me, but I can't change the fact that I am bothered by it, if that makes sense.

That kind of bites, I'll add this to the OP.

Supposedly there are only 3 missable scenes that happen only if you're really dedicated to specific side quest chains on your first playthrough. So technically you could still have hit the other two.

Arkeband

Banned
Ok, I get that the game is designed around at least 2 playthroughs to see the real story and be able to tackle the tougher content but, wow. Holy shit. That was the most unsatisfying ending I've ever gotten out of a game.

Like, it was a weird enough non-sequitur of a scene to make me not even feel like jumping into New Game + for a while.

So they're all in Pandemonium fighting Cid, who's gone all One Winged Snake-Armor-Angel, and they defeat him, I guess, but they're all mortally wounded in the process. SO they...teleport back to their classroom...somehow, and start freaking out over what death means, but then they start talking about what they'd do with their lives if they had them, and there's a Scooby-Doo style "everybody laughs and the camera pans away and fade out."

Like... What?

Did I miss a scene after the credits, or something?

EDIT: Oh, there's more ending hidden *in* the credits. THey were dragging on and I hit START to skip them.
Kind of an odd choice to sneak more storytelling into a credits sequence that was just text on a black background for several minutes beforehand with no hint that it might lead into something.

That sounds odd.

The ending cinematic involves them being back in the classroom and having a fever dream type scenario where everything is good but then Ace wakes up and they're all rapidly dying because they sacrificed their anima/phantoma to destroy the final boss. The last scene is Rem and Machina waking up from their crystal and finding the rest of the class embraced in death under a makeshift flag made from their cloaks and weapons. There's a "what if" ending if you gathered all of their alternate summer costumes, maybe that's what you saw?

Because it's based on the console port which also removed the co-op function, hell you wouldnt want to play with friends for a minute or so of the time, people forget that it was limited multiplayer on the psp.

I mean you could on PPSSPP I think. If multiplayer even works on that, support is still limited

SoulUnison

Banned
That sounds odd.

The ending cinematic involves them being back in the classroom and having a fever dream type scenario where everything is good but then Ace wakes up and they're all rapidly dying because they sacrificed their anima/phantoma to destroy the final boss. The last scene is Rem and Machina waking up from their crystal and finding the rest of the class embraced in death under a makeshift flag made from their cloaks and weapons. There's a "what if" ending if you gathered all of their alternate summer costumes, maybe that's what you saw?

Yeah, but that scene of Machina and Rem occurs
"under" the credits like 4+ minutes into the credits just looking like your normal "white text/black background/nothing else going on" affair.

After a couple minutes of credits (that didn't actually even apply to me since it was going over the Japanese VA cast and such,) I decided that they were *just* credits and hit the START button to skip them, not knowing that the "rest of the ending" was hidden in the latter half of the credits.

Just a weird pacing and design choice.

I had to go back and YouTube the credits to see the rest of the ending I had inadvertently skipped, which was Machina and Rem entering to find Class 0 dead in the classroom.

Also, I accept the canon explanation is that Class 0 sacrificed their own Phantoma to stop Cid and were thus mortally injured, but the final battle itself doesn't feel like it illustrates that at all. If anything it looks like Class 0 is pulling Phantoma FROM Cid/Rursan Arbiter, the same way you've pulled it from fallen enemies the entire game.

Ascheroth

That kind of bites, I'll add this to the OP.

Supposedly there are only 3 missable scenes that happen only if you're really dedicated to specific side quest chains on your first playthrough. So technically you could still have hit the other two.

Yeah, from what I've read I've only permanently locked myself out from 1 such scene, but still, it boggles my mind how ANYONE could have thought including something like this in a game where you are basically required to do multiple playthroughs if you want to do everything, was even remotely a good idea. That just seems utterly stupid from my point of view.
I'll probably "get over it" in some time anyway, but it's frustrating nevertheless, since I really, really like the game. I mean, this is basically only an issue I have because I like the game as much as I do and want to experience everything it has to offer. I wouldn't care one bit about this if I thought the game was only average or "it's good, but I'm not going to bother with another playthrough".

Eh, I thought the ending with
them dying wasn't because of something they did in the final boss fight, but because of the permanent injuries to their phantoma actually getting to the fight. They're already on the verge of death when they get to Cid - And remember - Any injuries inflicted by the Rursus cannot heal. Potions and magic healing during Chapter 8 are solely gameplay/story seperation because having literally no healing would make things way too difficult.

Also, if you're confused about the final boss...
It's not actually Cid. Cid died during the 7>8 transition (It's depicted in the slides at the start of Ch8). The Judge/Arbiter is just using his image and voice to fuck with Class Zero.

The way the story is presented in the first hour is so disjointed, what a mess.
Still forming an opinion on the gameplay, one thing's for sure, lock-on/camera needed more time in the oven.
I can tell I'll enjoy it in the end though.

Arkeband

Banned
@SoulUnison: There were also two cutscenes unlocked after you beat the game, found near the end of your datalog IIRC. One's the 'Type-Next' teaser, the other is the basis for the embellishment of the story for NG+ onward.

Giran

If you're the type who likes to S rank missions across the board you should know that if you've cleared the story mode conditions for Nox Suzaku appearing on the world map, it can randomly appear during mission mode as well. Given that you can't harvest phantoma until it leaves, on some missions this will easily rob you of your S rank.

Ascheroth

You can finish those characters quest in Chapter 7 but you HAVE to view their cutscenes in the next chapter in the same playthrough or else they're locked away forever.

In the PSP version, this was not the case, but they slightly fixed it for the HD version.

This is the best source besides myself that I cared to take the time out to find. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805874-final-fantasy-type-0-hd/71573004

Yeah, and I finished 1 of those quests and did not see the scene, so I'm out of luck unless I completely scrap the ~40 hours I've spent and start over.
Like I said, it's just one little scene I can watch on youtube anyway if I really care, but it still leaves a sour aftertaste. Because I just cannot comprehend the reasoning behind this decision. It's just utter stupidity at the height of retardedness. Especially in a game like this, with a focus on multiple playthroughs.
I love the rest of the game, but I absolutely despise this part of it. It adds absolutely nothing of value and it's only reason for existence is to f*ck people over who are unlucky or play without looking at a guide beforehand.

Whew, that said, here's a list of the good stuff, maybe that will cancel my negativity out a bit (based on 1 playthrough only) :p
- 14 playable characters right from the start, where everyone of them has a unique playstlye
- Lots of customisation with abilities and magic
- The breaksight/killsight mechanic is great. Actively rewards you for observing your opponents instead of button mashing
- Screenshot mode is great
- It has a worldmap and towns
- Lots and lots of content
- Great soundtrack
- Very interesting story and lore
- The worldmap-invasion missions are a fun diversion from the usual missions
- and most likely some more I've forgotten

Arkeband

Banned
If you're the type who likes to S rank missions across the board you should know that if you've cleared the story mode conditions for Nox Suzaku appearing on the world map, it can randomly appear during mission mode as well. Given that you can't harvest phantoma until it leaves, on some missions this will easily rob you of your S rank.

lol, I didn't know this... that's pretty funny.

I'd be really annoyed if it happened at the end of a longer mission though.

Tizoc

OK so apparently the game uses a silly Anti Aliasing option. A guide on the steam community suggests disabling in-game AA and apply FXAA through NVidia Control Panel.
Can someone post their NVidia control panel options so I can try them out myself please?

So, it just occurred to me...

Type-0's mouse controls are a replica of XI's mouse controls. Which makes it even more baffling, since they've had over a decade to know noone liked how XI handled the mouse.

Anyway - On the framerate issue... Call me an idiot if this weird solution I came up with in my mind won't work they way I hope it would but... Well, you guys know of Chipmunkgate, right?

What if they whole "Game logic tied to framerate" thing got worked around by making said calculations cycle for TWO rendering frames instead of one? It's still not perfect, but theoretically it should allow for 60FPS without issues or having to completely overhaul everything for DeltaTime, right? (Well, with the issue there that you'd better have a PC that can hit 60FPS or the game will go in half-speed)

Like, someone tell me if I'm wrong and don't know what I'm talking about at all - But I'm pretty sure some ports have done this before.

Tizoc

OK so apparently the game uses a silly Anti Aliasing option. A guide on the steam community suggests disabling in-game AA and apply FXAA through NVidia Control Panel.
Can someone post their NVidia control panel options so I can try them out myself please?

Bump.
Could someone help me out here :X

Arkeband

Banned
Bump.
Could someone help me out here :X

We know the AA options are wonky because the higher two are for resolutions above 1080p, but the game doesn't allow that, so what exactly is the problem you're experiencing? Why are you trying to force AA on the game through the NVidia control panel instead of defaulting to the 'normal' or 'high' options in the launcher?

Just completed the Game. I think Chapter 8 is one of the worst ending to any game I have ever played. Every part of that chapter should've been excised from the game. Tonally, thematically, narratively, none of it works at all. It's almost as if there is a whole missing chapter between 7 and 8, or that they pulled 8 from an early/different version of the game and just stuck it on the end. No reasonable person would tell you that 8 slots in well behind 7.

Love the combat system, probably the number one thing that this game does well. 14 different play-styles means that you cannot get bored although I would've liked to be able to use more abilities/spells instead of just using the same ones for each character. I also would've liked to see a bit more difference between the thunder-ra-ga levels in terms of visuals, and power wise it doesn't seem to be worth the charge time at all. Ethers are so cheap you might as well spam lv1 spells. Still, the combat managed to be fast and frantic but still feel very final fantasy.

The story events for the first 7 chapters, the overworld, random battles, towns and chocobo breeding feel like this game is a cool mix of ff8 and ff13, but it is unfortunately held back by the worst English dub ever recorded, dialogue that doesn't know what it is about or where it is going, and a last chapter that is a slap in the face for everything else that preceded it.

Arkeband

Banned
Just completed the Game. I think Chapter 8 is one of the worst ending to any game I have ever played. Every part of that chapter should've been excised from the game. Tonally, thematically, narratively, none of it works at all. It's almost as if there is a whole missing chapter between 7 and 8, or that they pulled 8 from an early/different version of the game and just stuck it on the end. No reasonable person would tell you that 8 slots in well behind 7.

Love the combat system, probably the number one thing that this game does well. 14 different play-styles means that you cannot get bored although I would've liked to be able to use more abilities/spells instead of just using the same ones for each character. I also would've liked to see a bit more difference between the thunder-ra-ga levels in terms of visuals, and power wise it doesn't seem to be worth the charge time at all. Ethers are so cheap you might as well spam lv1 spells. Still, the combat managed to be fast and frantic but still feel very final fantasy.

The story events for the first 7 chapters, the overworld, random battles, towns and chocobo breeding feel like this game is a cool mix of ff8 and ff13, but it is unfortunately held back by the worst English dub ever recorded, dialogue that doesn't know what it is about or where it is going, and a last chapter that is a slap in the face for everything else that preceded it.

I guess it depends on whether you want a boring predictable happy ending or a sudden holy shit what the fuck ending. It's been a while since I've had one of those so maybe I was just jonesing for one, because I loved it.

The game also subtly hints everyone's blissfully unaware of some doomsday approaching throughout the first seven chapters.

HeeHo

Yeah, from what I've read I've only permanently locked myself out from 1 such scene, but still, it boggles my mind how ANYONE could have thought including something like this in a game where you are basically required to do multiple playthroughs if you want to do everything, was even remotely a good idea. That just seems utterly stupid from my point of view.
I'll probably "get over it" in some time anyway, but it's frustrating nevertheless, since I really, really like the game. I mean, this is basically only an issue I have because I like the game as much as I do and want to experience everything it has to offer. I wouldn't care one bit about this if I thought the game was only average or "it's good, but I'm not going to bother with another playthrough".

I don't know if you've found out the truth already, but this isn't true for the ps4 edition at least, it should be the same for the pc version too.. You can still view those scenes on the 2nd playthrough even if you have recruited them on your first playthrough. I've finished the game once on ps4 but I haven't done a second playthrough yet. Apparently a lot of stuff that was true for the PSP version isn't necessarily true for the HD version. You haven't screwed yourself over like you think you have.

I was really paranoid about missables and kept researching this particular thing and people have reported seeing the scene on their 2nd playthrough despite the recruiting. In fact, an argument was made that you should TRY to recruit those with the 'missable' scenes.

Funny thing about type 0 is that the across they use are legit. I'm convince that the voice director is the one who sucks dick

KainXVIII

Soooo my party got wipe out in the first mission, lol. What i do wrong? Git gud or level up a bit (on the world map?)?

Soooo my party got wipe out in the first mission, lol. What i do wrong? Git gud or level up a bit (on the world map?)?

Grinding on the world map is perhaps the worst way to level up in the game. What difficulty are you playing on and what lvl party are you using?

Razmos

I think the game overuses the "unwinnable boss fight" thing in the middle chapters. There was pretty much at least one per chapter from chapter 3 to chapter 7, it's frustrating when you keep dying, and you try to keep alive for ages using potions and stuff only to realize you were pretty much meant to lose.

Also YIKES the difficulty spike in Chapters 5 and 6 is no joke, especially with a party member missing and your party split into two, and then that whole part where you are holding off the enemy on the Big Bridge using only one party member, that was rough. The enemies started hitting really hard at that point too, usually one or two shotting my characters.

I thought 14 playable characters was a bit excessive and there is no way I can get a game over with that many lives, but nooope, they drop like flies. Twice now (once in chapter 3 and again in Chapter 6) where i've been down to my final character (Deuce in chapter 3 against Brionac, and Jack in chapter 6 at the Big Bridge)

And this is all on Cadet difficulty! I need to git gud. (I'm starting to do some grinding now but it is SLOW)

Chapter 5 was amazing by the way, the music and the environents and the enemies was just superb, and the fight against Shinryu Celestia was just incredible, seeing her flying around in the background, flames in the darkness, it was truly scary.

Machina is by far my least favourite character
I thought the foreshadowing towards Machina becoming a L'cie was pretty cool (his repeated I'm... before cutting short) and finding Quin'Mi's crystal was really cool as it details her giving her L'cie powers to a "boy", and her crystal was found right near to where Machina disappeared, it was really cool.

Aaaand then I actually saw Machina in his L'cie outfit, still with the ridiculous vampire cape and the name "Incognitus". I pretty much burst out laughing

I still haven't finished chapter 7 yet, but i'm looking forward to it.

Durante

I played this a bit more yesterday and got to the first... I don't know, strategic battle? The RTS-thing.

Between that, the (relatively) large number of characters and the political-conflict-focused story I'm getting some minor (minor!) Suikoden vibes. Which is always a nice thing.

I don't remember, straight from tutorial mission. Difficulty - medium, i think.

That should be the mission in McTighe iirc. Are you selecting the entire roster for your reserves? If you are and you're still your party wiped well, first of all locking onto the enemy and dodging goes a long way.

Arkeband

Banned
Added 9/18's patch notes to the OP, and yesterday was yet another patch:

We’ve got a new update for Final Fantasy Type-0 HD today (30th September 2015) that fixes a previous issue with the camera. Once you update the game, the camera turning speed setting now works properly, which is good news!

Hope you guys are still enjoying Final Fantasy Type-0 HD and thanks again for playing!

I'm kind of impressed, that's four patches in a little over a month. It doesn't really excuse the janky day one release but it shows goodwill on S-E's part.

Vic_Viper

What am I supposed to be pressing when there is a Yellow or Red circle around my targeted enemy?

Bought this game on Steam when it first came out and like most dropped it after an hour or two. But after finishing FFXV, the combat in this game feels really similar and have been enjoying way more now.

What am I supposed to be pressing when there is a Yellow or Red circle around my targeted enemy?

Bought this game on Steam when it first came out and like most dropped it after an hour or two. But after finishing FFXV, the combat in this game feels really similar and have been enjoying way more now.

Attack them. They're weakest at Red and you'll get critical hits. It's annoying after a while as the game relies on its most. Kinda like Break got annoying in XIII.

Top Bottom