• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD PC |OT| Hexa-Dos and Don'ts

Momentary

Banned
"What is this place?"

"It's a cemetary."

"What's a cemetary?"

Stuff like this is riddled in every JRPG I've played on Steam. Makes me cringe. Still love playing them though.

Razmos

"What is this place?"

"It's a cemetary."

"What's a cemetary?"

Stuff like this is riddled in every JRPG I've played on Steam. Makes me cringe. Still love playing them though.
To be fair, it's a legit question for a world where people are literally forgotten about the second they die.

Why would they need to mourn or visit the grave of a person who died if they don't remember they existed? I Imagine cemeteries are not very common in Orience.
Also I love this music

It was so hype for the first mission.

Momentary

Banned
To be fair, it's a legit question for a world where people are literally forgotten about the second they die.

Why would they need to mourn or visit the grave of a person who died if they don't remember they existed? I Imagine cemeteries are not very common in Orience.
Also I love this music

It was so hype for the first mission.

I'm sorry, it didn't make that conversation any less cringe worthy. There's a lot of obvious stuff that gets asked or pointed out throughout all these kinds of games. Still somewhat enjoying it though.

Durante

It's basically a kick-off point to introduce how death works in their world. It's a bit clumsily handled, but the actual setup is perhaps the most intriguing thing about the setting so far.

SoulUnison

Banned
I don't have a PS4 so I never got to pull the trigger on the XV Duscae Demo, but some of the characters, especially Nine, feel like they give a good "lite bite" of what XV's combat gameplay is kind of like.

Vhalyar

Up to chapter 3, I think the word that I'd use to describe this game is: clunky. Clunky story, clunky navigation, clunky game mechanics, clunky design choices, clunky UI. Battles are still fun though, just... clunky.

Wish I'd waited for a sale.

Momentary

Banned
Up to chapter 3, I think the word that I'd use to describe this game is: clunky. Clunky story, clunky navigation, clunky game mechanics, clunky design choices, clunky UI. Battles are still fun though, just... clunky.

Yeah. That about sums up how I feel so far.

ryushe

For me It just feels like a handheld game, which... yeah.

SoulUnison

Banned
Are the battle songs for this game stored in any sort of simple rename-cut-and-paste format?
Would love to sub in a couple tracks from Dissidia and XIII/XV for the random World Map battles.

Vex_

Banned
So I feel like I have had enough time with the game to give my impressions.

I feel like the ai here is exceptionally sharp. I can't believe this released on the psp years ago. It is almost comical how fast and aware the ai is. They see you charging up for a big attack and dodge appropriately when you release it for a big punish afterwards. It threw me off at first because I wasn't sure if that was a fluke, or if they were actually timing those dodges.

They were.

They even make use of the killsight mechanic, where they can score big damage like you can if they can stuff your attack before you release it. I did not expect them to be able to use my own mechanic against me.

It's all very exciting when it comes together and you get a hang on the controls.

Speaking of controls: Extremely high learning curve. I think it is the layout that threw me off the most. The "improved" camera still hasn't hit that sweet spot for me no matter how much I tweak it. One tip that I recently realized helped me a lot was not locking on to enemies at all, even if you are using a projectile based character.

For one, you move faster. Two, having a free camera is almost always better in the combat scenarios you are presented with. Enemies will often sneak up behind you when you are locked onto one enemy, and because you can't see much behind you when locked on, this usually means frustration for the player. Use the soft lock/aim assist coupled with the medium to fastest camera turning speeds the game gives you for the best results.

I have been trying out various characters in the combat arena. This is a great way to train your characters as well as get a hang of the controls. The animations of this game are so fun to watch due to how unique each character plays. I think cater is so OP but all are really fun to play. Seven is probably the most fun due to the amount of options she has.

She has 3 different playstyles:

1. Short sword for where she can hit quicker at close range.
2. Extended blade where she can aoe or hit in front of her to keep enemies at bay.
3. Snakebite. She can impale enemies at a distance and either shock (for a chance to stun), pull them in like a fish on a hook, or fly over to her opponent and follow up with a frost aoe spell.

Tldr: I'm finally at the point where the game speaks to me.

Corpekata

Banned
When she had to ask what's a cemetery I assumed they were like test tube soldier babies or something and had like next to no concept of the real world.

impact

Banned

I can honestly see why Square didn't wanna bring this game over

It deserves a remake more than a remaster for it to be a good console RPG imo

Vhalyar

I can honestly see why Square didn't wanna bring this game over

It deserves a remake more than a remaster for it to be a good console RPG imo

Yup. And even as a portable game, I'm utterly baffled by some of the design choices in the game. Starting missions is clunky, holding one task max is clunky, and so on.

FtHTiny

Ok i finished the game, liked it overall but story wise there are big holes or i just didn´t manage to understand it.

Also what happened between chap 7 and 8 Spoiler:
Suddenly the world went to shit but it wasn´t really explained why or how? Did i really miss this?

ZenaxPure

Yup. And even as a portable game, I'm utterly baffled by some of the design choices in the game. Starting missions is clunky, holding one task max is clunky, and so on.

The holding one task thing is the only game design thing I have a big problem with (it just doesn't make any sense and it makes doing missions you get inside the main town that require you to go outside of town fairly annoying.) The other issues with the game that makes it feel like a PSP game (controls/camera/zones being 1 room/etc.) don't really bother me that much, I've played just about every single handheld action RPG SE has put out in english over the past decade so all this shit feels pretty normal to me by now.

Anyhow, still having some really annoying crashing issues but it hasn't kept me away from playing the game. I think at this point my favorite character to play is Jack most of the time. Reflex is really satisfying to use because if you can position yourself between a bunch of mobs it will cleave when it lands, just feels really great to wiggle your way inside a group of enemies and land a reflex to kill everything in one hit. Also like that he has a backstab mechanic. Just a really interesting character to use since he is so positioning based but has the worst mobility in the game.

Arkeband

Banned
Ok i finished the game, liked it overall but story wise there are big holes or i just didn´t manage to understand it.

Suddenly the world went to shit but it wasn´t really explained why or how? Did i really miss this?

Thats the 'oh shit' moment when you realize the prophecy saying "we have arrived" was never referring to Agito.

Throughout the game people suffer from déjà vu and its hinted that all of this has happened before, so some apocalyptic event must trigger it. This is that event, which is caused by one nation/crystal controlling all nations. There's a lot of other factors that are involved (including the 'why') but at least for NG you're not supposed to know those.

Saprol

These keyboard mappings are awful. Don't even have a numpad. Steam controller needs to not release in November.

xnG0bZu.png
still worth it

DesuNe

The one request at a time thing is just about tolerable because the game seems to make you want to go out to the world map several times anyway - still a bizarre design choice.

The dialogue makes me want to rip my ears off and the script/lore is confusing and utterly baffling at the best of times. I get that they want to make a unique world, you don't need to reinvent half their vocabulary to do this. Some FF games get a free pass on this but I feel like FF13 and Type0 really overdo it.

Worst thing so far is mission day: having to go to skip time (some of these prep times are way too long), class room then run all the way to the exit (4 screens) - why?!

Valnen

I'm sorry, it didn't make that conversation any less cringe worthy. There's a lot of obvious stuff that gets asked or pointed out throughout all these kinds of games. Still somewhat enjoying it though.

It makes sense in the context of the world and story, yet it's somehow still cringeworthy?

Alright then...

Giran

The conversation events are so badly directed.

character speaks a line
strikes a signature pose
a few seconds of awkward silence while the camera is still fixed on him/her
repeat until the end of the event

Ochibi

But when nine and nine meets nine, Tempus Finis shall be willed upon them. For without the Agito, their world—called Orience—must persist in its spiral

In each cycle within the spiral of history, Tempus Finis is instigated in the Orience calendar year 842, when "9 and 9 meet 9" (when three nations of Orience are conquered by the fourth and the cycle of death and rebirth collapses). When Finis arrives, several drastic environmental changes occur through the world: the sky and sea turn red, choked with dark clouds. An ominous sound like a rumbling wind is also present. Along with the arrival of the Rursan Army, strange monsters spawn. A temple, Pandæmonium, rises from sea off the coast of Rubrum, where Gala waits to test those wanting to become Agito. The only constant source of bright light appears to be over the Palace. Airships can't approach the Palace, with a l'Cie being needed to reach it.

Tempus Finis = Apocalypse. Apocalypse comes when a nation control all others nations. If there is no Agito, the world will still persist in its infernal spiral. That's where Machina and Rem come, because before Type-0 events, they weren't part of Type-0. It was Tiz and Joker. This time, Arecia changed a part of this spiral. She put away Tiz and Joker and put Machina and Rem.

FtHTiny

Thats the 'oh shit' moment when you realize the prophecy saying "we have arrived" was never referring to Agito.

Throughout the game people suffer from déjà vu and its hinted that all of this has happened before, so some apocalyptic event must trigger it. This is that event, which is caused by one nation/crystal controlling all nations. There's a lot of other factors that are involved (including the 'why') but at least for NG you're not supposed to know those.

But when nine and nine meets nine, Tempus Finis shall be willed upon them. For without the Agito, their world—called Orience—must persist in its spiral

In each cycle within the spiral of history, Tempus Finis is instigated in the Orience calendar year 842, when "9 and 9 meet 9" (when three nations of Orience are conquered by the fourth and the cycle of death and rebirth collapses). When Finis arrives, several drastic environmental changes occur through the world: the sky and sea turn red, choked with dark clouds. An ominous sound like a rumbling wind is also present. Along with the arrival of the Rursan Army, strange monsters spawn. A temple, Pandæmonium, rises from sea off the coast of Rubrum, where Gala waits to test those wanting to become Agito. The only constant source of bright light appears to be over the Palace. Airships can't approach the Palace, with a l'Cie being needed to reach it.

Tempus Finis = Apocalypse. Apocalypse comes when a nation control all others nations. If there is no Agito, the world will still persist in its infernal spiral. That's where Machina and Rem come, because before Type-0 events, they weren't part of Type-0. It was Tiz and Joker. This time, Arecia changed a part of this spiral. She put away Tiz and Joker and put Machina and Rem.

Thanks you two,
guess i didn´t read enough/understand All that deja vu and prophecy talk. Also a very sad ending, class 0 deserved better.

jb1234

character speaks a line
strikes a signature pose

And they often end very abruptly. There's no sense of dramatic pacing in most of the cutscenes at all. It's very odd.

Arkeband

Banned
The one request at a time thing is just about tolerable because the game seems to make you want to go out to the world map several times anyway - still a bizarre design choice.

The dialogue makes me want to rip my ears off and the script/lore is confusing and utterly baffling at the best of times. I get that they want to make a unique world, you don't need to reinvent half their vocabulary to do this. Some FF games get a free pass on this but I feel like FF13 and Type0 really overdo it.

Worst thing so far is mission day: having to go to skip time (some of these prep times are way too long), class room then run all the way to the exit (4 screens) - why?!

What words are invented?

Momentary

Banned
It makes sense in the context of the world and story, yet it's somehow still cringeworthy?

Alright then...

The delivery was horrible. Maybe I should have listened to it in Japanese because I don't know how people are defending this. They seem to have been around long enough to know what a damn cemetery is. If it's something that's explained later in the story then that's even worse.

That is just one example I used. There's so many other cringe moments in this and other JRPGs.

character speaks a line
strikes a signature pose

This right here sums up a good portion of JRPGs for me. Still can't stop playing th though. Not all of the game is like that, but sometimes they poit out and explain the obvious while doing nonsensical gestures.

Maybe I'm way too old for this sort of game or I've read way too many good pieces of literature in my time to really take these story lines seriously. I know some games are meant to be that way like Nep and Fairy Fencer, but games like this where they are trying to really get you into the world... like I said, maybe if I turn on the JP dubs it won't be so bad.

Arkeband

Banned
The delivery was horrible. Maybe I should have listened to it in Japanese because I don't know how people are defending this. They seem to have been around long enough to know what a damn cemetery is. If it's something that's explained later in the story then that's even worse.

That is just one example I used. There's so many other cringe moments in this and other JRPGs.

This right here sums up a good portion of JRPGs for me. Still can't stop playing th though. Not all of the game is like that, but sometimes they poit out and explain the obvious while doing nonsensical gestures.

Well think about it this way. Every time you kill an enemy you explode their corpse and harvest their Phantoma. The crystal is actively brainwashing all of its child soldiers to never truly understand death. It makes sense that a cemetery would be kind of an odd sight in light of the way death is set up to work like this. Maybe Akademia is keeping the bodies intact and within its walls for its own purposes...? Who knows.

character speaks a line
strikes a signature pose

Well, considering what the rest of the PSP's JRPG library was like, the alternative to that was static 2D VN sprites.

Arkeband

Banned
Is it safe to start playing the game now or are there any severe things that should be patched out first?

I played it for a good three hours last night with no issues.

Set your camera to FAR, type B (follow) for less jerky targeting insanity. Make sure you don't have a stone-age monitor. (720p or 1080p, any higher needs windowed mode for now), if your graphics card is a GTX970 or less you probably want to avoid the highest AA setting.

Oh, and for the love of god, Japanese audio with English subtitles, I can't stress this enough. I'm going to add this to the OP as a "tip for new players".

Arkeband

Banned
One thing I noticed while playing last night (I was waiting to seriously get into it since I've already beaten it for PS4 and was waiting for a gamepad to arrive I ordered from Amazon - damn you Windows 10!) was that even in 1080p for PC, it feels like the UI is slightly larger than it was on PS4. Has anyone else noticed this who has played both? Feels like a lower resolution but it's definitely set to 1080p...

edit: I went and compared between gameplay footage on YouTube and the UI is the same size across both, maybe it's just my setup, I'll have to investigate further when I get home.

sensui-tomo

Yeah, English dub is pretty bad.
It's like they're just reading the text with no emotion.

Its the worst final fantasy dub i've ever heard, seriously i hope the voice director never works on a game again because this game has good voice actors/actresses but no direction.

Y'know, all things considered after beating this...

I think this was the True Final Fantasy XIII.

I'm still halfway through the game but I agree.
I can't stop telling myself to drop FFXIII everytime I play it, but so far I've been enjoying Type-0, way more than XIII. The game definitely has its own drawbacks as it's originally developed for a PSP, but as a Final Fantasy game, this is a pretty good one.

Vhalyar

The holding one task thing is the only game design thing I have a big problem with (it just doesn't make any sense and it makes doing missions you get inside the main town that require you to go outside of town fairly annoying.) The other issues with the game that makes it feel like a PSP game (controls/camera/zones being 1 room/etc.) don't really bother me that much, I've played just about every single handheld action RPG SE has put out in english over the past decade so all this shit feels pretty normal to me by now.

Persona 3 Portable - if I remember correctly - did a really great job at being a portable experience. Maybe a little too much actually, but you can quickly move about and do what you want to do. As opposed to running through a large number of rooms one by one, then going outside and dealing with yet more rooms but this time with a shitty map system (split in two for some reason). The whole thing seems poor for a PSP title, let alone for a home console/PC experience :(

And the voice acting.

I'll probably beat the game once I find the courage to boot it up again, using Trey to pop enemies like zits.

ZenaxPure

Persona 3 Portable - if I remember correctly - did a really great job at being a portable experience. Maybe a little too much actually, but you can quickly move about and do what you want to do. As opposed to running through a large number of rooms one by one, then going outside and dealing with yet more rooms but this time with a shitty map system (split in two for some reason). The whole thing seems poor for a PSP title, let alone for a home console/PC experience :(

Personally was never a fan of P3P myself. It was fast but I just vastly prefer having an actual character I can control in a 3D space as opposed to a bunch of menus. Took me out of the game too much.

Giran

The holding one task thing is the only game design thing I have a big problem with (it just doesn't make any sense and it makes doing missions you get inside the main town that require you to go outside of town fairly annoying.)

As extra motivation for a second playthrough, the director didn't want people to be able to complete all tasks and trials and watch all the events on the first run so he resorted to time limits and the one task at a time thing. It at least makes a bit of sense to me, although it's somewhat annoying, yes.

What doesn't make sense is not being able to change active or reserve party members at will. You have to sit there, and watch the AI die if you want to switch in a different character. Why? You can't choose to play solo either outside of missions without just killing off the other two. You can't even change the goddamn reserves order without parking down at a save crystal. Or maybe you can do all these things and I just didn't figure out how for some reason, but otherwise this shit is baffling. And the whole support/SPP mechanic is just crap. Should've been scrapped altogether for the HD version.

Only real gripe I have about the game really is that the final boss was
effectively a QTE disguised as gameplay where none of my progression factored in.

Pejo

I think I keep getting anxiety with this game. I hate games where you can't complete all the content between missions. This and Persona 4 both give me the same type of anxiety and it makes me just not want to play them. Stuff like having 28 game hours to do 50 game hours worth of quests just drives me nuts, like I'm going to miss a big bonus by doing the wrong ones or in the wrong order. I know I shouldn't have this feeling, and should just YOLO my first playthrough, but it nags at me. Same thing with Social Links in P4.

I should probably just get over it and play.

ZenaxPure

I should probably just get over it and play.

I used to have a similar problem but at some point I just came to terms that if I like a game enough to see all the content it has I will just do a second playthrough using a guide. Makes my first play through of a game a lot more relaxing. I don't exactly have any tips for you to get to that point but uh... it's cool if you can someday achieve that mindset I can confirm that.

Sanctuary

Until this game, I had no idea that a beaked animal could exhale through its mouth and make the same noise a horse makes when air passes forcefully through its lips. I get that chocobos are the FF equivalent of a horse, but come on.

Top Bottom