• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X -Will- and FFX-2.5 plot discussion thread [Up2: Uh, um, errr, see OP]

Erigu

People looking from the outside probably just don't understand it.
"People looking from the outside" seems quite synonymous with "the audience" to me. That's a bit of a problem, then!

They make jokes about the situations in this audio drama and novel... (I too find them funny and a bit painful.) But It makes sense from the story's point of view.
I find it pretty hard to defend
Tidus enthusiastically kicking a bomb and dying a gruesome death two freaking days after his miraculous and emotional resurrection. Oh, and it happens in-between games, too (assuming Final Fantasy X-3 gets made). No biggie.
I don't have anything against the idea that
Tidus's new existence is a precarious one
, far from it, but surely there would have been many other, smarter and significantly less ridiculous ways to go there and elaborate on that.

People make fun of the audio drama and the Novel because they don't remember these things.
I do remember these things, I assure you.

"People looking from the outside" seems quite synonymous with "the audience" to me. That's a bit of a problem, then!

Tidus enthusiastically kicking a bomb and dying a gruesome death two freaking days after his miraculous and emotional resurrection. Oh, and it happens in-between games, too (assuming Final Fantasy X-3 gets made). No biggie.
, far from it, but surely there would have been many other, smarter and significantly less ridiculous ways to go there and elaborate on that.

How does it happen inbetween games if this was after he was brought back? What?

I mean his hair is longer.

Yuna must like that hair longer when she wished him back with the dragonballs. Actually I dunno, maybe ages really slow instead of not at all? C'mon translations!

Zafir

You bring up some valid points.

However, as a fan of the series, I understand that Tidus wearing Jecht's banana isn't just for fun. Jecht was a notorious womanizer, and most children grow up as a reflection of their father. (A child beaten by his parents usually grows up to beat his own children.)

Yes, this may seem childish to us adult readers. "Really he's turning into his dad even though he hated him in FFX" However, this is very realistic in terms of statistics about children growing up in today's world reflecting their parent's actions, even if they are bad.

Again the bomb its meant to be almost too much. A wake up call to Yuna that, "Oh my god, he really isn't real."
Oh, I'm not saying he isn't a womaniser. In Final Fantasy X he does indeed make some "womanising" comments now and then. From showing off to the girls at the start of the game, to on Mihen highroad where he's explaining to Yuna how he can't just think "Hey, thats a cute girl on the front row!" during a Blitz game. He was never that forth coming directly to Yuna, though, most likely because he cared for her at a far deeper level than the random girls he found cute or those he showed off to.

As for the bomb, it's certainly a wake up call. It sounds like Final Destination levels of a shock death. It's just a ridiculous tonal shift. They could have handled him dying in a far better way than a bomb disguised as a blitzball, and Yuna would have still been shocked.

Erigu

How does it happen inbetween games if this was after he was brought back? What?
Between Final Fantasy X-2 and the proposed Final Fantasy X-3.
(although I guess that would also be between the good ending and the 100% ending of Final Fantasy X-2... "didn't see that one coming, didja?" nope, sure didn't, Nojima...)

However, as a fan of the series, I understand that Tidus wearing Jecht's banana isn't just for fun.

khr1.jpg

I'm sorry.

Tidus playfully kicking a bomb and dying a gruesome death two freaking days after his miraculous and emotional resurrection. Oh, and it happens in-between games, too (assuming Final Fantasy X-3 gets made). No biggie.

To your first point: Exactly, this is a 10 year old game to think that a majority of the people would still remember important plot points, and other points you could only get from getting a perfect ending, or watching a video sphere is completely daft. Most people don't care enough about a game to remember those details.

2. I agree, there are less silly ways to handle the situation. But it still is a childish Tidus (A Tidus who doesn't change, who doesn't age) who dies a death that no one could come back from and he does. Yes, I agree it sounds stupid, but it clearly delivers the message.

3. I'm glad you remember these things. And I respect your opinion, everyone is making valid points. I agree with a lot of what is being said on here, I'm just offering my own points.

As a side note, things often get lost in translation. It's like when the audio drama first came out and people said that Yuna was cheating on Tidus with a new boyfriend. which was clearly blown out of proportion like Tidus's head. So, i'm thinking a lot of the novel is getting mistranslated as well.

Oh, I'm not saying he isn't a womaniser. In Final Fantasy X he does indeed make some "womanising" comments now and then. From showing off to the girls at the start of the game, to on Mihen highroad where he's explaining to Yuna how he can't just think "Hey, thats a cute girl on the front row!" during a Blitz game. He was never that forth coming directly to Yuna, though, most likely because he cared for her at a far deeper level than the random girls he found cute or those he showed off to.

As for the bomb, it's certainly a wake up call. It sounds like Final Destination levels of a shock death. It's just a ridiculous tonal shift. They could have handled him dying in a far better way than a bomb disguised as a blitzball, and Yuna would have still been shocked.

They handled it poorly. Just like FFX handled the laughing scene poorly, but i still get why its there. Also in FFX you can hit on Rikku or Lulu and get them to throw your ball for Tidus's ultimate move!

Dark_castle

Can anyone explain how did
Tidus return as a result of fayth in the good ending of X-2?
I understand the bit in the perfect ending, but wasn't so sure what sets the rule for fayth in deciding who gets to return and who doesn't.

And if the condition to recreate a dream of a deceased is not that heavy, wouldn't some ill-spirited being long ask for the return of Sin to create havoc?

Vade

The ghost high-five ending from X turns into this. So basically X is to MGS3 as X-2.5, and presumably X-3, is to MGS4. This the inevitable game is going to be so good gameplay wise and so bad it is good story wise.

Cannot wait for the 30 minute information drops on what life is when you are a solider spirit.

Drop FFXV development and get the team working on this.

They may end up remaking that scene in X-3 with something easier to stomach considering not everyone would have read the novels.

I think an accidental death like falling off a cliff or impalement from the environment, something not dramatic and could happen to anyone.

Kicking a bomb is not something everyone would do out of habit.

Erigu

Exactly, this is a 10 year old game to think that a majority of the people would still remember important plot points, and other points you could only get from getting a perfect ending, or watching a video sphere is completely daft. Most people don't care enough about a game to remember those details.
Not sure what your point is... I remember those games very well. I've even read all the Ultimanias back in the day, too. And here I am, shaking my head at the way Nojima handles all this.

I agree, there are less silly ways to handle the situation. But it still is a childish Tidus (A Tidus who doesn't change, who doesn't age) who dies a death that no one could come back from and he does. Yes, I agree it sounds stupid, but it clearly delivers the message.
In a stupid, horribly clumsy manner, which is precisely what annoys me.

As a side note, things often get lost in translation.
Sure, but I understand Japanese, so I'm not relying on translations, here, actually...

i'm thinking a lot of the novel is getting mistranslated as well.
'Fraid not, from what I've seen.

Can anyone explain how did
Tidus return as a result of fayth in the good ending of X-2?
I understand the bit in the perfect ending, but wasn't so sure what sets the rule for fayth in deciding who gets to return and who doesn't.

And if the condition to recreate a dream of a deceased is not that heavy, wouldn't some ill-spirited being long ask for the return of Sin to create havoc?

In simplest terms,
the fayth created Tidus in FFX. He is the dreams from someone who lived over 1,000 years ago in the city of Zanarkand. Tidus is a summon of the fayth, he helped the fayth achieve the rest they were looking for by defeating sin with Yuna and the rest. Because sin is gone the fayth no longer need to keep dreaming(summoning) to help summoners achieve aeons. Therefore, Tidus returns to being dead. It helps to look at the original intent for Tidus, he is more closely related to a ghost than a dream.

At X-2 Yuna runs into the fayth who helped Tidus and herself during FFX. The Fayth feels pity for her and asks if she wants to see Tidus again. As the player, you can respond with a yes or a no. If you say yes, the fayth will summon Tidus, hence the good ending of FFX-2.

There is no rule for fayth deciding who comes back and who doesn't. The fayth just want to rest, however, this fayth felt responsible for Yuna being sad for Tidus's loss. So the fayth in a sense, is helping Yuna for helping him and all the other Fayth achieve rest. I know... its confusing, if you need me to explain further I'll try.

Zafir

They may end up remaking that scene in X-3 with something easier to stomach considering not everyone would have read the novels.

I think an accidental death like falling off a cliff or impalement from the environment, something not dramatic and could happen to anyone.

Kicking a bomb is not something everyone would do out of habit.
If Final Fantasy XIII is anything to go by, they may not even mention it. The Episode Zero novel for XIII gave a lot of context to all the characters/terms, and Square Enix didn't even bother to acknowledge it during the game.

Not sure what your point is... I remember those games very well. I've even read all the Ultimanias back in the day, too. And here I am, shaking my head at the way Nojima handles all this.

In a stupid, horribly clumsy manner, which is precisely what annoys me.

Sure, but I understand Japanese, so I'm not relying on translations, here, actually...

'Fraid not, from what I've seen.

Well i'll resend the translation. I think the important thing to remember is that these people are ultimately story writers for games. When they try to break out of the medium the work is often bad.

I guess we will just have to differ on our opinions of his treatment of this story. Remember... every story must have an ending, Nojima this is your story.

Dark_castle

In simplest terms,
the fayth created Tidus in FFX. He is the dreams from someone who lived over 1,000 years ago in the city of Zanarkand. Tidus is a summon of the fayth, he helped the fayth achieve the rest they were looking for by defeating sin with Yuna and the rest. Because sin is gone the fayth no longer need to keep dreaming(summoning) to help summoners achieve aeons. Therefore, Tidus returns to being dead. It helps to look at the original intent for Tidus, he is more closely related to a ghost than a dream.

At X-2 Yuna runs into the fayth who helped Tidus and herself during FFX. The Fayth feels pity for her and asks if she wants to see Tidus again. As the player, you can respond with a yes or a no. If you say yes, the fayth will summon Tidus, hence the good ending of FFX-2.

There is no rule for fayth deciding who comes back and who doesn't. The fayth just want to rest, however, this fayth felt responsible for Yuna being sad for Tidus's loss. So the fayth in a sense, is helping Yuna for helping him and all the other Fayth achieve rest. I know... its confusing, if you need me to explain further I'll try.

That's all good except for one critical issue.

What if the fayth was, I don't know, a bad apple? Or someone else pretending to be miserable and somehow mislead fayth to momentarily recreate Sin.

That's all good except for one critical issue.

What if the fayth was, I don't know, a bad apple? Or someone else pretending to be miserable and somehow mislead fayth to momentarily recreate Sin.

Well if you read the synopsis of the audio drama... That is exactly what is happening sin is returning.

Dark_castle

Okay...NOW I see where this is going.

X-2's Good+Perfect ending pretty much foretold the inevitable
Sin's return
. I suspect Nojima didn't really wanted X-3 to happen, but X-2 pretty much created a massive loophole that's left unaddressed that him as the original writer felt compelled to finish the whole fiasco.

Truth be told, I really think he should have just close one eyes and forget that he missed out on one plot holes and move on by creating a "false" happy ending for Tidus x Yuna supporters. If I were to guess, Square Enix gave some pressure to him to resolve that one bit and potentially open up the opportunity to make a third game after everyone has refreshed their memory with X/X-2 Remastered.

I wouldn't be surprised, indeed... But really, at this point, whether they acknowledge it or not, it's going to be rather awkward. Well played, Square Enix.

"... or a sequel! That's fine, too."

That Auron quote is great. Lol...

Actually looking at Auron as a character, he was optimistic for Tidus and Yunas love in Final Fantasy X. He gave Tidus a lot of relationship advice concerning Yuna.

It kinda seems weird looking back at it. Sure Auron understood the bond they needed to go through in order to defeat Sin. However, looking back it seems weird for Auron to try so hard to get them together ultimately knowing that Tidus would disappear. In fact his final words to Tidus and the group is, "This is your world now."

I'm not satisfied with the endings for X (even though it was really sad... and it was awesome) and X-2 just left so many questions for me as a fan. I guess I just always thought even 10 years ago there should be more to this story. In my opinion, it is an unfinished story.

Okay...NOW I see where this is going.

X-2's Good+Perfect ending pretty much foretold the inevitable
Sin's return
. I suspect Nojima didn't really wanted X-3 to happen, but X-2 pretty much created a massive loophole that's left unaddressed that him as the original writer felt compelled to finish the whole fiasco.

Truth be told, I really think he should have just close one eyes and forget that he missed out on one plot holes and move on by creating a "false" happy ending for Tidus x Yuna supporters. If I were to guess, Square Enix gave some pressure to him to resolve that one bit and potentially open up the opportunity to make a third game after everyone has refreshed their memory with X/X-2 Remastered.

Agreed. Except for that Nojima wants this to happen. The game is over 10 years old. If he didn't want to do it, he wouldn't. I think that Nojima planed for an X-3 all along. There's just way too many hints in the older game. Why include a perfect ending with so many questions, with no plans to every answer them?

Dark_castle

Agreed. Except for that Nojima wants this to happen. The game is over 10 years old. If he didn't want to do it, he wouldn't. I think that Nojima planed for an X-3 all along. There's just way too many hints in the older game. Why include a perfect ending with so many questions, with no plans to every answer them?

Toriyama'd. Or Watanabe'd. Or Nojima'd himself.

I actually think the setup for X-3 has some interesting ideas, but it was probably the way the novel was written that turns the readers off.
It felt like it was going to be a dark comedy, yet was written such that Yuna became a like another person, a cruel, unforgiving woman
. Of course, rationally we need to read the full story to know what's happening, but that portion sounds sketchy. The continuation in X-3, whether in the form of novel, or software really has to address these two main issues.

1) Yuna's actual personalities, show the scathed readers that she is still the kind and forgiving Yuna we know from X and X-2.
2) Resolve the matter with Fayth and the return of deceased and put a tie knot to the thing.

Erigu

Square soft planned an X-3 before it was bought by Square Enix. It was part of the plan, but another company bought them.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2003/03/19/final-fantasy-x-3-planned
You're elaborating a whole lot on what could very well be nothing. "Square said this" according to some magazine. That was ten years ago, and Square never announced anything.

But I was mostly referring to your claim that "Nojima clearly planned a third game all along, the hints are right there!" No. Just no.

Toriyama'd. Or Watanabe'd. Or Nojima'd himself.

I actually think the setup for X-3 has some interesting ideas, but it was probably the way the novel was written that turns the readers off.
It felt like it was going to be a dark comedy, yet was written such that Yuna became a like another person, a cruel, unforgiving woman
. Of course, rationally we need to read the full story to know what's happening, but that portion sounds sketchy. The continuation in X-3, whether in the form of novel, or software really has to address these two main issues.

1) Yuna's actual personalities, show the scathed readers that she is still the kind and forgiving Yuna we know from X and X-2.
2) Resolve the matter with Fayth and the return of deceased and put a tie knot to the thing.

My personal take isn't that Yuna is being cruel... Just suffering from depression, and can't be happy.
The constant thought that Tidus isn't real... I'd go crazy if faced with a similar situation.

You're elaborating a whole lot on what could very well be nothing. "Square said this" according to some magazine. That was ten years ago, and Square never announced anything.

But I was mostly referring to your claim that "Nojima clearly planned a third game all along, the hints are right there!" No. Just no.

Idk. Looking at Nojima's history as a writer on Final Fantasy games, it doesn't surprise me. The guy has made prequels and sequels before.

Listen, the guy is a writer right? I'm only speculating, but he must be attached to the work he does. I'm sure he had an x-3 in his head after X-2.

Dark_castle

I wouldn't say he planned a third game, but rather to try and fix the seemingly small yet painfully obvious plothole if one were to think further about it.

Now of course one would argue, should Square really bother with that? For me, I really have no clue. Initially I was all up in arms against the idea of X-3, but if it gives us yet another great gameplay with new regions of Spira to explore and some bizzare story, I probably wouldn't object.

It would be led by Kitase/Toriyama team anyway, so FFXV team can do their own thing. Nojima probably has done his part on XV's scenario.

I wouldn't say he planned a third game, but rather to try and fix the seemingly small yet painfully obvious plothole if one were to think further about it.

Now of course one would argue, should Square really bother with that? For me, I really have no clue. Initially I was all up in arms against the idea of X-3, but if it gives us yet another great gameplay with new regions of Spira to explore and some bizzare story, I probably wouldn't object.

It would be led by Kitase/Toriyama team anyway, so FFXV team can do their own thing. Nojima probably has done his part on XV's scenario.

I think people forget the last Final Fantasy game Nojima worked on was Final Fantasy VII crisis core. The last main Final Fantasy series (sequal) he worked on before that was FFX, FFX-2.

Nojima didn't write XIII. I've actually enjoyed everything he's put forward. I have no reason not to trust him currently...

Zoe

Can someone explain Chuami's
mother's death? I don't remember any kind of genocide going on
, but that's what the description sounds like.

Man, this is just utterly ridiculous. I suppose I'd be angry as a fan of the first game, but this turn of events is so hilariously bad all I can do is sit back and enjoy reading the posts in this thread.

Erigu

I'm sure he had an x-3 in his head after X-2.
Yeah, ten years later or so. ;þ

I mean, for the "unanswered questions"... The 100% ending pretty much goes
"welp, guess the Fayths put me back together. We should be fine as long as we have each other! FIN."

And then, just look at Last Mission, for instance:
three months later, everything is going just fiiiiine! Tidus and Yuna, happy together forevaaaah!
Except, yeah, no,
some horrible shit happened two days after Tidus came back and so much anguish oh my god.
Dat planning.

Can someone explain Chuami's
mother's death? I don't remember any kind of genocide going on
, but that's what the description sounds like.
Apparently, there were some radical Yevoners (oh the terminology...) who caused some trouble at some point, that resulted in violent "Yevoner hunts" later on, and that's when Chuami's mother got killed. Now, it seems only Besaid and its "weak" (as euphoric fedora-wearing Chuami put it) Yevoners remain.
There's only one year for all that to happen, but oh well fine I guess.

Square soft planned an X-3 before it was bought by Square Enix. It was part of the plan, but another company bought them.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2003/03/19/final-fantasy-x-3-planned

They never planned an X-3. That was a baseless rumor:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2003/11/25/final-fantasy-x-2-developer-interview?page=5

Between Final Fantasy X-2 and the proposed Final Fantasy X-3.
(although I guess that would also be between the good ending and the 100% ending of Final Fantasy X-2... "didn't see that one coming, didja?" nope, sure didn't, Nojima...)

Between vanilla Final Fantasy X-2 and Last Mission, technically.

Narroo

I theorize that Nojima doesn't want to write a sequel, so he's trying to get out of it by tanking the audio-drama and teaser novel. The fans will rebel, and the project will be canceled or changed.

(I wish.)

Narroo

I mean, for the "unanswered questions"... The 100% ending pretty much goes
"welp, guess the Fayths put me back together. We should be fine as long as we have each other! FIN."

three months later, everything is going just fiiiiine! Tidus and Yuna, happy together forevaaaah!
Except, yeah, no,
some horrible shit happened two days after Tidus came back and so much anguish oh my god.
Dat planning.

Apparently, there were some radical Yevoners (oh the terminology...) who caused some trouble at some point, and that resulted in violent "Yevoner hunts" later on and that's when Chuami's mother got killed. Now, it seems only Besaid and its "weak" (as euphoric fedora-wearing Chuami put it) Yevoners remain.
There's only one year for all that to happen, but oh well fine I guess.

So I guess J-Pop concerts really don't unite the world in harmony, huh?

Erigu

Between vanilla Final Fantasy X-2 and Last Mission, technically.
I've seen more people talk about that 100% ending being referenced in the novel, so I'd rather say that than mention Last Mission, at the moment... Especially considering I still don't know where that one would fit relatively to the 100% ending... if it can still fit at all, 'cause really...

I mean, for the "unanswered questions"... The 100% ending pretty much goes "
welp, guess the Fayths put me back together. We should be fine as long as we have each other! FIN.
"

Except, yeah, no,
Dat planning.

Valid Point concerning last mission... But it's mostly an Easter egg for fans.

The 100% ending isn't happy. It's riddled with dark overtures. The pyre flies flying into the air in the last sequence and Tidus is off screen. Yuna talking to herself, it's all very suggestive that something is wrong. Yeah, read the script without the acting, everything is fine. A deeper more analytic view, suggests that something isn't right. What is Tidus?

dramatis

The 100% ending isn't happy. It's riddled with dark overtures. The pyre flies flying into the air in the last sequence and Tidus is off screen. Yuna talking to herself, it's all very suggestive that something is wrong. Yeah, read the script without the acting, everything is fine. A deeper more analytic view, suggests that something isn't right. What is Tidus?
You're reading too much into it. The obvious message of the 100% ending is to treasure the people close to you while you can. There's no 'dark overtures' and whatnot, what you're doing is retroactively favoring the scene.

I've seen more people talk about that 100% ending being referenced in the novel, so I'd rather say that than mention Last Mission, at the moment... Especially considering I still don't know where that one would fit relatively to the 100% ending... if it can still fit at all, 'cause really...

I brought up the 100% ending as a talking point. It's not a happy ending like everyone is saying X-2 is. There's something more, the tone of voice those characters are talking in... It's depressing.

I've sacrificed too much to let this fall apart. I will not be stopped. Not by you or the Confederates or the Protoss or anyone! I will rule rule this thread or see it burnt to ashes around me...

Erigu

That's convenient. ^^;

The 100% ending isn't happy. It's riddled with dark overtures. The pyre flies flying into the air in the last sequence and Tidus is off screen. Yuna talking to herself, it's all very suggestive that something is wrong. Yeah, read the script without the acting, everything is fine.
Well, maybe the US voice acting is (once again) to blame, but it hardly sounds sinister to me...
(And there were plenty of pyreflies there two years before already)

You're reading too much into it. The obvious message of the 100% ending is to treasure the people close to you while you can. There's no 'dark overtures' and whatnot, what you're doing is retroactively favoring the scene.

To me since 2003, it's symbolized something more. Sure I could be wrong... But given recent events, I think I'm right.

Tidus: "I have a theory... I think the Fayth gathered up all their thoughts to bring me back again... Yuna: "so, you'll disappear again?" (If you ask me, all very sad) Tidus being the optimistic character he is says something to the effect of, "Cherish me Yuna, and I'll cherish you. If we cherish each other, it's the only way we'll be together. (Implying he will disappear someday.) Yuna proceeds to push him into the water, they share a laugh and Yuna's tone shifts from a laughing to just a very mellow "you didn't disappear." The camera pans upward with a moment of silence and pyreflies from Tidus can be seen floating into the air.
I know I said it's all speculation on my part. It's my way of thinking about the scene. Interrupting open endings is everyone's opinion, ya bruddah? But it sets the scene for this audio drama, novel, x-3 bully.

oni_saru

i made a huge mistake coming back and checking this thread. SE didn't just spit on FFX fans. they pooped on us. this is just turrible. ;~; why Nojima?! WHY?!

i'll admit, i didn't like the story in X2 but i could forgive it because at least it had that happy end (though X's tragic end is still the best ending and true endng). but this X2.5 stuff is worse than the 2 crap! WORSE!!

I never actually see a birth of this kind of fan in "motion" before.

He seems more reasonable than Perfo; for now.

Lol... I just didn't get the bashing. I felt my need to offer some different point of view. But yes, FFX is my favorite final fantasy.

Mostly, I like the discussion. Everyone is bringing up valid points, and I'm thinking of the certain aspects of the original and X-2 in a different light. Sure, I still think I'm correct, but everyone is being super respectful and countering my arguments. As a fan, it's a good discussion.

Top Bottom