• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
1000 Words
I didn't like X-2 that much, but this song is easily one of my favourite game soundtracks of all time :D
I don't know if the video counts as spoilers. If you don't want to get spoiled, just let the song play in the background^^

Can't wait for this game. I have the LE pre-ordered and will hopefully get it in less than two weeks (Germany).
I agree, Eternity is one of my favs and while not being my thing 1000 word had a fantastic chorus.

Seik

Banned
gfue8dw23keown7kbpyb.png

Hahaha! Yeah, I'm sorry if it felt a bit dramatic right there.

It's been more than 11 years now though, I'm over it. In the last three years I got to meet him twice, not in the best conditions the first time (cancer and stuff he got rid of), second time was a blast though.

'To Zanarkand' always get my feels today still, such a well written piece a music.

Shahed

Sphere Break > all of the above!

:(
Didn't like it. Admittedly I never gave it much of a chance. I went in expecting Blitzball 2.0 and got something different. Wasn't it like some manager mode or similar?

I never needed it for 100% and the extra ending so I never bothered trying it again. Were there any good rewards?

OmegaDL50

Ah man. I can't believe this is only one week away until release.

I've been waiting for this for so long. I'm going to enjoy replaying these two amazing games again.

Looking forward to experimenting with that expert sphere grid and the new equipment abilities, and of course the Dark Aeon super bosses.

I never got to experience the international version content, so that will be an all new experience for me.

The_Monk

My advice for FFX would be simply not to run from random encounters. It has a pretty natural difficulty curve if you simply fight your way through regular fights, upgrade your sphere grid normally and upgrade your weapons/aeons/etc. when each new system unlocks.

If there's any grinding needed, it'll be around the end once you unlock the omega dungeon, but even that is not quite necessary to complete the game.

Of course that stands for the regular game, I have no idea how the international version's (optional) expert grid factors into that.

Thank you for this. I usually never avoid any random encounter. Is it possible to level up early in the game to make enemies easier (by grinding) along the way or it does not work like that with FF X/X-2?

Frazley

I beat Tomb Raider (I know different genre) and was looking for a game to sink my time into for now. I will still play others, but this will be one of my main games until I beat it.

Sphere Break > all of the above!

:(

So good. But I felt like it wasn't well-implemented enough in terms of its integration into the rest of the game - it's a total blast to play but you don't get as much of a sense of progression as you do from Triple Triad or Blitzball, IMO.

Andrefpvs

I'm looking for a detailed comparison between the PS3 and Vita versions (with focus on how the Vita version performs). Would any fellow GAFer know of such an article? Thanks.

arhra

Thank you for this. I usually never avoid any random encounter. Is it possible to level up early in the game to make enemies easier (by grinding) along the way or it does not work like that with FF X/X-2?

I definitely remember grinding like a madman in some of the later areas in FFX (not particularly because I needed to, I just enjoyed it...), so I'd imagine you could do so earlier.

The save points are the kind that heal you to full, so if you stick near one of them you can go on forever.

No idea about FFX-2, as I never really got very far with it.

OmegaDL50

FFX doesn't use a traditional EXP-based leveling system like most typical RPGs. Character strength is heavily dependant on this large board game like UI called a sphere grid.

There are spaces on the board like HP+200 or STR+3, and so forth. Instead of gaining levels and a preset amount of stats are increases, you instead activate spaces on the board to raise the stats you want. You get sphere levels that let you move one space per level on the board. You use special items to activate each space on the board, so you can pretty much custom tailor the characters stats to your liking.

Want Tidus to be a high MAG power Magic-type with strong spells, this is possible. Want to turn him into a extremely powerful high STR physical attacker, this is also possible too.

Early on in the game you don't need to worry too much about getting stronger, as progression is quite steady and every boss fight generally awards 2 to 3 sphere levels each for every character that participated in battle.

Shahed

Want Tidus to be a high MAG power Magic-type with strong spells, this is possible. Want to turn him into a extremely powerful high STR physical attacker, this is also possible too.

Early on in the game you don't need to worry too much about getting stronger, as progression is quite steady and every boss fight generally t awards 2 to 3 sphere levels each depending who participated in battle.

Expert Sphere Grid makes customising your characters so much easier. Giving the likes of Yuna and Lulu each other's magic is a godsend.

And the bolded brings back memories! Switching a character in just to guard before taking them out again in order to give them an action for every battle in the game. Got a bit tedious at times, but it was worth it

I couldn't pick and since this (along with Kingdom Hearts) holds a very close place in my heart during hard times back in 2002-2003, I had to get both PS3 and Vita versions, cross-save FTW. CAN'T WAIT!

Aeana

Days upon days of learning how to do simple algebra so I could beat that stupid game in one go...thank God the Dressphere you get for it kicks ass :)

Oh God, I'd put that out of my mind.

Didn't like it. Admittedly I never gave it much of a chance. I went in expecting Blitzball 2.0 and got something different. Wasn't it like some manager mode or similar?

I never needed it for 100% and the extra ending so I never bothered trying it again. Were there any good rewards?

Embrace math!

Kain

The endgame of X was pretty brutal.

- Catch 10 types of all the monsters, one by one.

- Fight the arena monsters.

- Grind like crazy to get all the +4 Speed / Strength / HP... spheres and fill all the blanks in the grid with them

- Substitute all the +1, +2 spheres with their +4 equivalents.

- Get the weapons that grant damage limit break

- Get the equipment to HP limit break (I remember Yojimbo's dungeon specially good for this).

- Fight the dark aeons. Well, at least Valefor was not very hard, it died easily enough with just chaining together limits and cheesing with Yuna's summons, but Ifrit was the first tough one. The Magus sisters gave me nightmares.

- ?????

- Profit?

Good stuff, fun times. Don't think I'll have the dedication or the time to pull it off a second time, but I'll try.

Garland7G

This will be the 3rd time I bought this game over the years and I can't wait! I remember picking it up at release and playing for over a hundred hours. Back then I couldn't stop playing, the story was so good that I had to see how it all ended. Ugh, makes me want to dig out my old PS2 until release.

The endgame of X was pretty brutal.

- Catch 10 types of all the monsters, one by one.

- Fight the arena monsters.

- Grind like crazy to get all the +4 Speed / Strength / HP... spheres and fill all the blanks in the grid with them

- Substitute all the +1, +2 spheres with their +4 equivalents.

- Get the weapons that grant damage limit break

- Get the equipment to HP limit break (I remember Yojimbo's dungeon specially good for this).

- Fight the dark aeons. Well, at least Valefor was not very hard, it died easily enough with just chaining together limits and cheesing with Yuna's summons, but Ifrit was the first tough one. The Magus sisters gave me nightmares.

- ?????

- Profit?

Good stuff, fun times. Don't think I'll have the dedication or the time to pull it off a second time, but I'll try.

I did all of this when I was 15 and tbh I'm looking forward to doing it again. The dark aeons were great to fight and I didn't have to use yojimbo for any of them.

Good times

Looking forward to see people stuck on Seymour Flux as usual.

And once they beat him and get to Yunalesca. She was a bitch to fight

Got my PS3 CE ordered from Squeenix and my Vita version ordered from Amazon. Can't wait. Never played through X-2 before and gave up on X when I wasn't strong enough to beat Sin towards the end.

Just received my review copy today! So excited about it, can't wait to dive in. I'm still buying the Collector's Edition at the Los Angeles area launch event on Saturday, though!

1625638_10153927506135022_1958010997_n.jpg

ohlawd

people had trouble with the Seymour fights?

I only hit two walls with Yunalesca and the not-a-throwaay final boss.

Phlebas

Banned
people had trouble with the Seymour fights?

I only hit two walls with Yunalesca and the not-a-throwaay final boss.

Seymour Flux didn't give me nearly enough problems that the Yunalesca fight did.

Those 15 minute unskippable cutscenes every time after failing the fight didn't help.

sasuke_91

And the bolded brings back memories! Switching a character in just to guard before taking them out again in order to give them an action for every battle in the game. Got a bit tedious at times, but it was worth it

IIRC, you always get the same amount of EXP for each character regardless of how many characters participated in a fight, which is pretty cool.
I can't wait for a 100 hours of grinding in order to beat the Richter xD (I didn't know he was called Richter in other languages, too^^)

OmegaDL50

My only suggestion for Yunalesca fight is to use Armor with Death or Zombie Protection.

Death-Ward/Proof or Zombie-Ward/Proof are highly recommended due to Yunalesca's tendencies to spam Death or Turn all of your characters with Zombie status and cast Full-Life on your party.

This is generally the wall most people run into when fighting her.

The_Monk

Thanks for the tips arhra and OmegaDL50. Can't wait to play these since I never managed to finish them back in the day I just hope I don't get stuck often, have to admit I'm a little worried about that! ;)

Shahadan

I never knew people had trouble with Yunalesca :lol:
Damn, this brings back memories, I almost want to dive in, despite being sure to never touch it again.
What to do...and I have a Vita coming in the mail in two days. This must be some sort of fate.

I've been listening to the FFX soundtrack. It's still a masterpiece after all these years. Having 3 different composers on board gave it an eclectic variety that no other FF soundtrack produced by a solo composer has ever been able to match.

Shadow780

2HcYdcFl.jpg

Can't wait to experience the laughing scene in Japanese.

The Asia Chinese ver. does not have English text option, unfortunately.

HeelPower

Expert Sphere Grid makes customising your characters so much easier. Giving the likes of Yuna and Lulu each other's magic is a godsend.

This is awesome..I have actually never tried the expert sphere grid.

I would love to customize the characters as I fit.And yes yuna getting lulu's magic is insane.

I am even more excited for the gameplay possibilities.

ubercheez

Seymour Flux is well known to be a hard fight but the rest of his fights are easy enough. Yunalesca is definitely harder though

That's odd for me to hear. I got stuck on Seymour Flux for days on my original playthrough, and I don't even remember fighting Yunalesca so I must have beaten her in one or two tries.

Top Bottom