• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster has been delayed to 2014 according to SE reps @ PAX

Zephyx

Project cancellations, large focus on mobile, social, browser games now.

Ah right. Most JP pubs and devs are going mobile, social or browser now so they are not alone on that one. It's really a shame that they've gone so low. :( They were the second best dev in JP behind Atlus in my list.

Regardless, I think they should not focus on developing more Western games and play to their strengths. Their IPs still have appeal to the hardcore gamer as long as it's not any of the genres mentioned above.

Still, excited for FFX. The delay is certain, the question now is how long.

HeelPower

They canceled FF0 for the english people. The portable flagship FF title.

------------------

When they said TGS they didn't say what year. Details people. Ask about them.

Cancellation of Numbered FF title would probably mean the end of square enix.That's not happened as of yet(hopefully won't ever come to that)

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Cancellation of Numbered FF title would probably mean the end of square enix.That's not happened as of yet(hopefully won't ever come to that)

Square Enix might live on mobile games and subscription fees garnered from PtP and buy things to make this playable business models.

MMO's such as XIV, and mobile games such as All The Bravest.

Squire

Banned
They canceled FF0 for the english people. The portable flagship FF title.

Oxymoronic.

If they were that hard up for everyone to play Type-0 it wouldn't have been on a handheld. That game doesn't have a place as a flagship title any more than something like Tactics does.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Oxymoronic.

If they were that hard up for everyone to play Type-0 it wouldn't have been on a handheld. That game doesn't have a place as a flagship title any more than something like Tactics does.

The funny thing about Tactics though is it's creation predates FFXII. Something to think about.

Type 0 is that special case where they released it at the wrong time and on a dead platform.(Even if said platform was strong in Japan)

Well at least it still gets merchandise. In japan.

Squire

Banned
The funny thing about Tactics though is it's creation predates FFXII. Something to think about.

Type 0 is that special case where they released it at the wrong time and on a dead platform.(Even if said platform was strong in Japan)

Well at least it still gets merchandise. In japan.

I understand that, but it changes nothing. Tactics and Type-0 are still both spin-offs.

I do wish Matsuno had stuck around to direct another mainline game though.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
You're not following that Type-0 isn't a mainline entry like FFX, XI, XII, or XIII are?

Okay. I can't make it any simpler.

You said FF. Logic dictates any game after Final Fantasy within the series is a spinoff of Final Fantasy.

It's a contradictory cycle.

Now if you said subseries along the lines of Crystal Chronicles you might have an argument.

But all I am doing is simply arguing semantics. And if Type 0 is a spinoff, it's a damn good one.

btkadams

Yeah I'm not following but whatever floats your boat.

what are you not following about what he's saying? tactics and type 0 are not mainline final fantasy games. they are spinoff franchises, like persona (shin megami tensei). type 0 was even supposed to be the beginning of a new line of games.

spinoff is not a negative thing. lots of times, spinoffs turn out better than the original series and become their own franchise.

Duxxy3

Seriously?

Wow, squeenix is just god awful. Bluepoint would have finished this thing in 6 months, tops.

Amneisac

Seriously?

Wow, squeenix is just god awful. Bluepoint would have finished this thing in 6 months, tops.

Don't they have a team of like two people, an intern and a night janitor working on this, though? I guess they just don't care when it comes out as long as it doesn't cost them a lot of money.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
what are you not following about what he's saying? tactics and type 0 are not mainline final fantasy games. they are spinoff franchises, like persona (shin megami tensei). type 0 was even supposed to be the beginning of a new line of games.

spinoff is not a negative thing. lots of times, spinoffs turn out better than the original series and become their own franchise.

I suppose you are right. I'm just still bitter on the treatment Type 0 received. Just like how I am bitter on the treatment FF5 received with an iOS port that simply looks bad.

And the fact it doesn't matter how good a "spinoff" is, a perceived console mainline entry will always have more presence. Regardless of actual quality.

RalchAC

You said FF. Logic dictates any game after Final Fantasy within the series is a spinoff of Final Fantasy.

It's a contradictory cycle.

Now if you said subseries along the lines of Crystal Chronicles you might have an argument.

But all I am doing is simply arguing semantics. And if Type 0 is a spinoff, it's a damn good one.

It's a spin-off, but it has some impact in that Fabula Nova Cristalis thing SE has with FFXIII. Remember that their original plan was developing XIII, Versus and Agito? Agito is Type-0.

So is a spin-off, like Versus was originally. But it's not a trivial spin-off like, i don't know, Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology or Dragon Quest Monster.

I hope you get it now.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's a spin-off, but it has some impact in that Fabula Nova Cristalis thing SE has with FFXIII. Remember that their original plan was developing XIII, Versus and Agito? Agito is Type-0.

So is a spin-off, like Versus was originally. But it's not a trivial spin-off like, i don't know, Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology or Dragon Quest Monster.

I hope you get it now.

That makes more sense. Whenever someone says spinoff I assume they mean the trivial kind.

For them releasing FFXV and KH3 then defaulting would be a whole lot of good for us all. They reached their peaked and they're now a joke and shadow of their former selves.

RaikuHebi

Banned
No way will they cancel a flagship FF game.
I meant in terms of the development being as drawn out as XIII. After the E3 resurrection I (and many others) had some hope restored that things were picking up pace.

They haven't, but what does that have to do with FFXV?
I was only talking about XV.

It's not on their TGS lineup page, so...
How unfortunate. I thought the hide n seek was over.

That makes more sense. Whenever someone says spinoff I assume they mean the trivial kind.
Think of like a numbered FF.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
FFX development began in 1999 and the game released in 2001.

It is going to take them longer to make the HD port then it took to make the actual game.

TheContact

It is going to take them longer to make the HD port then it took to make the actual game.

FFX had over 100 people working on the game. I don't know the numbers for the HD port but I bet it's significantly less

Valnen

Seriously?

Would Bluepoint update the textures, localize content that previously wasn't localized, give us new character models, or even half the love Square-Enix has given this?

SirNinja

Obviously new game+ would blow my mind and wouldn't be too difficult to implement, but I don't expect to see it.

A full-fledged NG+ won't ever happen (at least not outside the realm of emulators and save editors), but I could definitely see them making it so that you can save after completing the game, allowing you to go back to Luca and buy all the CG movies past the point of no return.

It would also be nice if the Monster Arena let you re-fight story bosses, the Dark Aeons, and Penance. That would be a near-effortless to implement, and we'd be able to do things like farm endless No Encounter weapons from Geosgaeno (assuming they don't consider that a bug and take it out).

A full-fledged NG+ won't ever happen (at least not outside the realm of emulators and save editors), but I could definitely see them making it so that you can save after completing the game, allowing you to go back to Luca and buy all the CG movies past the point of no return.

It would also be nice if the Monster Arena let you re-fight story bosses, the Dark Aeons, and Penance. That would be a near-effortless to implement, and we'd be able to do things like farm endless No Encounter weapons from Geosgaeno (assuming they don't consider that a bug and take it out).
I don't know what you mean by "full-fledged" but NG+ really isn't that hard to implement at all in most cases.

Squire

Banned
I realized today they might just fix the lip-synching in the western version. I'm not sure how that's any less important than redone models, remastered music, and cropped CG scenes, so they certainly should. Here's hoping. That's one of the first boxes I would tick, myself.

Tagg9

Wow, is this true? I can't imagine any SE game taking two years to develop nowadays. It's not as if the jump from PSX to PS2 was insignificant either. Only TWO YEARS!?! Jesus, I can't believe it. They used to be so efficient.

How many years these have been in developement?

Announced in September 2011, so probably in development since summer 2011. So at this point it's been in development (hell?) for at least two years.

jackdoe

I realized today they might just fix the lip-synching in the western version. I'm not sure how that's any less important than redone models, remastered music, and cropped CG scenes, so they certainly should. Here's hoping. That's one of the first boxes I would tick, myself.
If they do that, then they'd need to re-record a bunch of lines. The first time round, they had the voice actors sync to the Japanese mouth movements ala anime, and there were tons of those awkward pauses in the middle of the sentence.

Squire

Banned
If they do that, then they'd need to re-record a bunch of lines. The first time round, they had the voice actors sync to the Japanese mouth movements ala anime, and there were tons of those awkward pauses in the middle of the sentence.

I had always heard they simply sped up the dialogue to make it fit.

If they actually attempted to sync to anything... wow. It did not work.

jackdoe

I had always heard they simply sped up the dialogue to make it fit.

If they actually attempted to sync to anything... wow. It did not work.
Yeah. I remember that Square had video interviews to promote the release and the voice actors talked about it. I think it's this one in fact:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MurmenCSIOI

One of the stand out awkward pause lines was Wakka's "You mind showing me that.................... one more time?"

Top Bottom