• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster has been delayed to 2014 according to SE reps @ PAX

I wish I could say this surprises me, but this is Square Enix and so here we are.

I wonder which game's sales would make that hinder the most?

An hd remake of a game a lot of people really like(but have also played) vs the 3rd game in the "masterpiece" ff13 line

Whichever game comes out on top will be both a surprise and a disappointment

Clarificication: Masterpiece is in quotes because that is the joke.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
coming out on feb 2014 seems unlikely. They are probably gonna spread these games out. They have got nothing else coming west on consoles that I know of that year.(SEJapan)

Unless SE has decided to write off fiscal 2014 basically and that's why they're bum rushing everything towards the end of fiscal 2013. Hence why Thief is coming out in March.

HeelPower

Unless SE has decided to write off fiscal 2014 basically and that's why they're bum rushing everything towards the end of fiscal 2013. Hence why Thief is coming out in March.

what could that possibly mean ? can they afford to write off fiscal 2014 ? Any word about murdered soul suspect ?(yeah that mega hit)

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
what could that possibly mean ? can they afford to write off fiscal 2014 ? Any word about murdered soul suspect ?(yeah that mega hit)

It means they want to make 2013 look as the best as they can and just sacrifice 2014 pretty much. And it's not like they can really afford to write off fiscal 2014. They basically have nothing for that year anyway. They pretty much decided to write it off.

Gskyace

Good.
I've said it on my personal weibo( which is something like twitter in China)...
The pre-oreder has been postponed for resellers on 7/8.

just want a PS4 version (at least on PS3 + 4)
but i guess that would remove the need for a vita version, since there's remote play..
but honestly, mabye it could even be 60fps on ps4.

Arthea

It can't be good for their profits, surely. I mean, the remaster takes longer time than developing the game? Something is seriously wrong with SE and their planning and executing and developing and running the company, well, you get a gist.

That sucks. I've actually been putting off replaying some old RPGs because I was expecting this to come out in a few months. I guess I'll go ahead and get back on that train.

Lol at people defending this. Even with the small changes they are making beyond the increase in resolution a small team should be able to deliver this within 6 months. I get the impression that nobody in that company is even trying anymore because they can mess up left and right and never suffer the consequences.
They just have one of the higher ups take a bow in front of shareholders/the press/their audience while saying "please understand" and then go back to slacking off.

Squire

Banned
Lol at people defending this. Even with the small changes they are making beyond the increase in resolution a small team should be able to deliver this within 6 months. I get the impression that nobody in that company is even trying anymore because they can mess up left and right and never suffer the consequences.
They just have one of the higher ups take a bow in front of shareholders/the press/their audience while saying "please understand" and then go back to sacking off.

Pretty much. You've got people doing that at every occasion that isn't the release of an iOS/browser game. Look at FFXIV.

"It's the best FF in years!" Right. Great. Never mind the fact half the people who own it can't even play it. Doesn't end there, either.

Jennipeg

I'm dissapointed but not at all suprised. The trailer from Gamescom had no release date at the end, alarm bells were ringing then. I feel like i'm waiting for a lot of games (i'm in the UK) Dragon's Crown, Muramasa, Rayman Legends (Vita), now this, if Broken Sword gets delayed I will lose it.

RalchAC

It means they want to make 2013 look as the best as they can and just sacrifice 2014 pretty much. And it's not like they can really afford to write off fiscal 2014. They basically have nothing for that year anyway. They pretty much decided to write it off.

Versus announcement Christmas 2014?
No, it's Square after all

So they will probably release the game after Lightning Returns, right? January doesn't have any releases, so I suppose mid March is the best spot.

Well, at least Vita has a big game for the March-May period. I suppose Freedom Wars will be there, maybe BL2. It could be worse...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its probably for the best, releasing this holiday season with the new system launches and all the annual heavy hitters (plus GTA5) coming out... not great timing.

Mario007

Given the improvements in LR trailers (still looks awful though) I would imagine the FF X HD team got called to help out with LR to get it out in Japan in 2013.

Meia

I actually prefer this. Gives me more time to enjoy KH HD. Was always weird for me to see plans of two HD collections in a short period of time .

Holmes

just want a PS4 version (at least on PS3 + 4)
but i guess that would remove the need for a vita version, since there's remote play..
but honestly, mabye it could even be 60fps on ps4.
Erm, just because a game is available on PS4 doesn't mean there shouldn't be a Vita version because of remote play.

jackdoe

It can't be good for their profits, surely. I mean, the remaster takes longer time than developing the game? Something is seriously wrong with SE and their planning and executing and developing and running the company, well, you get a gist.
This is definitely the insane part. FFX was developed in two years. The HD remaster will be released more than two years after its announcement. Seriously, if S-E doesn't have the internal resources to do an HD remaster in a year, they need to outsource it. Redoing some textures and character models off of existing assets shouldn't take this long either.

Huh? Why? It's a damn HD remake not a new game.
It was supposed to be one of their biggest upcoming games for the year. Which says a lot about their production pipeline.

I wonder if 2.5 will release before this. 1.5 was march this year. I could see 2.5 getting announced next month with a march 2014 release.

This is definitely the insane part. FFX was developed in two years. The HD remaster will be released more than two years after its announcement. Seriously, if S-E doesn't have the internal resources to do an HD remaster in a year, they need to outsource it. Redoing some textures and character models off of existing assets shouldn't take this long either...

square was so good for so long. but that was then, this's now, & their inability to simply focus on projects & release them in timely fashion is mind-boggling. so weird...

Arsenic13

So do we know yet how the Vita version(s) are gonna be sold? I don't plan to pay more for two separate Vita retail copies than I would on one PS3 package.

Banned
Dammit. I was hoping to play this before I traded in my ps3 towards the ps4. Looks like beyond will be my last game for ps3. Unless Xillia 2 gets localized in 2014, then I might hang on to play this and Lightning returns.

SE would soon be the next THQ. I don't blame them though, those games would be overshadowed by next gen releases and other better games.

Edit: why are Japanese devs and pubs so inefficient? Pubs like ubisoft and EA churn out games so fast but it takes ages for japan to pit out something decent.

Aurizen

we might be lucky! it might be released December. last time they had a lot done... may was like 85/65 right? well its been a great deal of months so maybe X is 90-95 done or completely done just some tweaking... and X-2 may be 85-90 done.... I still have hope till TGS which so we'll see...

Squire

Banned
we might be lucky! it might be released December. last time they had a lot done... may was like 85/65 right? well its been a great deal of months so maybe X is 90-95 done or completely done just some tweaking... and X-2 may be 85-90 done.... I still have hope till TGS which so we'll see...

It's not coming this year, Aurizen. Sorry, man. :'(

Top Bottom