• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just made it to Chapter 11 a couple nights ago. I haven't been able to play since, but want to make sure I have time when I finally jump in. Can't wait though. I've enjoyed the linear hell that was chapters 1-10.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Zoe said:
Are you talking in general, or for the turtles? Cause I was getting multiple items on other mobs (refilling TP) last night.

It's per enemy, not mob. So if you fight a group of five dudes, each of those dudes has a chance of dropping something.

The only time this isn't the case - I believe - is with enemy summons, but I could be wrong about that.

BeeDog

Just recalled something from the Chapter 11 introduction; that
BIG-ASS Titan-ish monster that swallows a whole turtle
. What the fuck is that, and do you get to fight it?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
BeeDog said:

You'll need to do the missions to get a Chocobo... then, you should be able to find the area you need to unlock to get to it.

Yoshichan said:
No.

Am I misremembering the cutscene probably? :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BeeDog said:
No.

desverger

Fuu said:
I was under the assumption that while having both Collector and Connoisseur equipped you get the two bonuses separately affecting your loot results (in the case of turtles, both chances of getting a ingot or a trap raising). I know that the Collector bonus doesn't raise Connoisseur but does Connoisseur simply overriders the effect of Collector?

You "roll" for rare loot first, if it drops you won't get the common drop. What this means is that if you want a rare, 5-star the encounter and have Connoisseur equipped. BUT if you want normal drops (say ingots), your best bet is to to just have the Collector equipped and get about 3-4 stars to not to boost the rare drop rate too much. In optimal circumstances that is.

Speaking of Adamantoises, assuming their base rate to drop a Trap is 1%, getting a 5-star rating boosts this rate to 5% without a Connoisseur. Not too much, mind you.

Gattsu25

Banned
leng jai said:
I went back to grind a bit and then tried your strategy. Worked straight away (thanks) but it still took me 20 minutes, and for some reason he never cast Doom on me. The strategy they teach you in the official guide is crap and makes you use Fang as a sentinel 80% of the time.
Yeah, the strategy guide has a major boner for fang, I've heard.

Ho well. The only time I really used the guide was to find our that I shouldn't bother with the item upgrading until I have more components (feeling kinda miffed about that, tbh...guide wasn't free)

Why do gamers use guides in the first place? Isn't a large portion of the fun factor in developing your own strategies and seeing them work? Not trolling; onestly curious about this, because I'd think that someone who plays a lot of games (enough to consider it a hobby and start a GAF account) would have a head for such things.

firehawk12 said:
A lot of people have, using the Death trick.

Right, I asked a question two pages back and got no response, perhaps you could if you've done it. I was able to kill him with death, but when the shrouds wore off, I was crushed by the minions. My question is how strong do you need to be to handle them. I was doing fine spamming firaga on them until the shrouds were off at which point I had to permanently stay in combat medic mode and sadly Fang did not counter enough for that to work. I'm hoping to avoid grinding more as I want the egg before doing so. Any suggestions? Did everyone grind out the rest of lvl 9's three main roles? I came straight here from defeating the Ch. 11 boss but had over 300k to spend on the lvl 9 grid before this battle.

jiggle

got my first trapz last night, after 73+ turtles :lol
at least i didn't have to farm gils though
made enough from all the plat ingots that i was able to grow it into 3 trapz
and fully upgraded light/fang/hope immediately after
i can finally move on to the rest of the missions XD

SquallASF said:
Right, I asked a question two pages back and got no response, perhaps you could if you've done it. I was able to kill him with death, but when the shrouds wore off, I was crushed by the minions. My question is how strong do you need to be to handle them. I was doing fine spamming firaga on them until the shrouds were off at which point I had to permanently stay in combat medic mode and sadly Fang did not counter enough for that to work. I'm hoping to avoid grinding more as I want the egg before doing so. Any suggestions? Did everyone grind out the rest of lvl 9's three main roles? I came straight here from defeating the Ch. 11 boss but had over 300k to spend on the lvl 9 grid before this battle.

Use Snow as Sentinel. He has the most HP, then load him up with all your physical resist accessories.

A COM/SEN/MED should work. It may take awhile, but you'll kill the minions eventually.

Gattsu25

Banned
DimmuBurgerKing said:
Why do gamers use guides in the first place? Isn't a large portion of the fun factor in developing your own strategies and seeing them work? Not trolling; onestly curious about this, because I'd think that someone who plays a lot of games (enough to consider it a hobby and start a GAF account) would have a head for such things.
The last guide I bought was for FFX and that was for Blitzball <3

I bought the strategy guide because I was stressing out about the weapon upgrade system more than I should have and was not advancing in the story until I 'figured it out'. When that didn't pan out I went to google and couldn't find anything that really explained it for me, checked gamefaqs and had the same result. I think I even asked a quick question here and waited an hour before I went out and bought it.

Opened it up, went to the chapter I was on, read their recommendation that I ignore the item upgrade system until late chapter 11/chapter 12 and then closed the book in disgust.

Such is life.

Edit: Why do other people buy strategy guides? Because square has a history of designing their games with shitty things that you would never know about unless you buy them. Because people care about unlocking ultramite weapons and min/maxing their characters. Because people are idiots.

:(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SquallASF said:

Fast boards move fast. :lol

You basically need Snow to be Sentinel and Hope to be Medic permanently. You can then switch Vanille between Ravager and Medic if Snow is close to death and just finish the other dudes one at a time.

You could also go the other way and have Vanille be Med, Snow be Sen and Hope be Syn and buff Snow first to make him more "survivable", but I don't think it's necessary.

It's long going, but that's a guaranteed (ie, safe) way to finish it.

jiggle

SquallASF said:

the fight is hard even if u have the latest crystarium capped

u should go in with van/snow/hope
sab/sen/med
with damage negating acc on snow in particular

cast death until it lands (and it needs to land early. retry if it doesn't)

then summon and do 100k to each babies
follow by 2 Quakes

but yes, most of the fight u'll be in med/sen/med mode
but when there is an opening
switch to med/sen/syn mode
if Hope casts protect on snow, it helps a LOT

after that, if there's a small opening
do med/sen/rav

or
med/com/rav (be ready to immediately switch back to 2xmed, since the babies will be attacking everyone)

you should be able to get 1 more TP from the rest of the fight
which lets u cast another Quake

and if u want to do it the REALLY easy way
upgrade doctor's code to max, then dismantle it for 1 elixir

go in with 5 TP
after death
do Summon, 2 x Quake
then use elixir
then do Summon, 2 x Quake again

elixirs are rare in the game though!

So Snow is that preferable to Fang? that's about the only difference in what I was already doing. Not sure how you got the COM SEN MED at this point, definitley didn't invest cp in other classes when I still haven't maxed out the main three.

Jiggle: The summon/quake sounds interesting, I didn't try that because I only had 3 TP going in and saved it for renew which I was able to use twice (from regaining one point during fight). I suppose I can try the immediate summon and two quakes after killling Neochu. My problem is that none of them will die from that correct? Once my shrouds wore off, I was forced to go into MED MED SEN...maybe I could spam Firaga and as soon as the shrouds wear off, do the summon and two quakes. I think I had one minion half way dead from firaga before the shrouds wore off (not sure how much splash damage the others took) and that was on a run that took several casts of death before it worked. If I could get death to work on the first cast, that would save A LOT of shroud time. Just sucks that it takes so many tries to get death to hit so if the strat doesn't work, takes forever to get to try something else :| I suppose I can consider Snow since he has a little bit more health than Fang and I won't be using anything but SEN anyway. It would be so easy if I didn't learn all the other SEN abilities. The problem is that most attempts, Fang was too stupid to cast steel guard or med guard to keep her alive long enough for Hope to heal.

Thrakier

OK, this question may seem strange: Is the title screen plain white for you guys or is there some sort of color hue to the borders? for me it's a bit reddish or pink, but it's not plain, clear white definitly. Or is my TV dieing? :D

jiggle

snow is always the preferred choice when sen is crucial to a win
with ALL Crystarium capped in endgame, he'll have
more hp than fang

summon took off around 100k HP
each quake did 20k
each of the babies had 260,000 HP iirc

so there's definitely more fighting to do afterward

try the elixir method if u're really having trouble

j-wood

If the description of the item says "can be sold for a premium" that means it's only use is to really sell it right?

Stuffy like platinum ingots, gold ingots, moogle puppet, perfume, ect.

I can't fucking beat
Cid
. When he's around half to a quarter of health he does a double combo of attacks on me even though Snow is a SEN and kills me. FFS, this game is beginning to get frustrating. >.>

jiggle said:
snow is always the preferred choice when sen is crucial to a win
with ALL Crystarium capped in endgame, he'll have
more hp than fang

summon took off around 100k HP
each quake did 20k
each of the babies had 260,000 HP iirc

so there's definitely more fighting to do afterward

ry the elixir method if u're really having trouble

Ok, I feel bad swaping the lady out but I can use every advantage I can get so the little bit extra HP should hopefully help. I did take half the life off of one using firaga so if I save your strat for after the shrouds, I can wipe out one for sure if not multiple. Like I said, I had to waste a lot of shroud time casting Death (I think it took until the 5th cast) so if I nail him with Death earlier, I have even more shroud time to blast him with Firaga. I think an earlier success rate with Death and the subbing of Snow will make the difference (with your strat). I hope. If not I can look at the elixir. I haven't even attempted to upgrade a single thing yet but I need to learn for the achievement anyway. Thanks for the suggestions!

Jrmint

j-wood said:
Also, what good does stagger lock do on a weapon? I can't see a reason for wanting that.
For a character like Fang this can be useful since she is never really a class who will be staggering someone (SEN/COM/SAB).

The tradeoff is you get much higher magic and strength than any of the other weapons.

j-wood said:
Also, what good does stagger lock do on a weapon? I can't see a reason for wanting that.

Weapons with Stagger Lock can't stagger an enemy, although they still build the stagger gauge, someone else has to actually hit the enemy to stagger them. Sure you wouldn't want that on every party member, but since weapons with Stagger Lock tend to have better stats if you have a character that you use mostly as a COM then they can be a better option, since COMs don't contribute much to staggering opponents anyway.

Also, anything that says 'can be sold for a premium', you can go ahead and sell. They don't really have any other uses.

IronFistedChampion said:
I can't fucking beat
Cid
. When he's around half to a quarter of health he does a double combo of attacks on me even though Snow is a SEN and kills me. FFS, this game is beginning to get frustrating. >.>
Well, I finally managed to beat him. Apparently, he's a pretty easy boss, I was just using the wrong set up which is why I kept losing.

I used this set up and it was a breeze: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNbkb5T-LrI

Beat him in 3 mins. :D

So I'm trying to 5 star the last boss using the Vanille death trick, is there anyway to up the odds of it working? I've got the Belladonna equipped, are there any accessories that'll boost its chances?

Himuro said:
How much of this monotony is left until I beat it? I beat what I suppose was the mid boss of chapter 11 and now I'm at Oerba after the extremely disappointing tower dungeon - you know your game design and level design is bad when that's the supposed best dungeon in the game - and I'm at the point where I'm just going to take it out of my ps3 and trade it in for Strange Journey already. I want to beat it but I completely lack the resolve to even play it.
What? No one said Taejin's Tower was the best dungeon in the game. I'd save that for the final dungeon, if anything. You still have a while.

I'm sorry it doesn't enthrall you so. Oerba is fucking amazing, and easily one of the best designs ever made in a Final Fantasy.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
j-wood said:
If the description of the item says "can be sold for a premium" that means it's only use is to really sell it right?

Stuffy like platinum ingots, gold ingots, moogle puppet, perfume, ect.
Yes. You can use them for xp but their purpose is providing you gil.

Edit: beaten.

desverger said:
You "roll" for rare loot first, if it drops you won't get the common drop. What this means is that if you want a rare, 5-star the encounter and have Connoisseur equipped. BUT if you want normal drops (say ingots), your best bet is to to just have the Collector equipped and get about 3-4 stars to not to boost the rare drop rate too much. In optimal circumstances that is.

Speaking of Adamantoises, assuming their base rate to drop a Trap is 1%, getting a 5-star rating boosts this rate to 5% without a Connoisseur. Not too much, mind you.
Thanks. :) I gave the gamefaqs link luxarific posted and now I understand how the drops works.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
desu said:
Not sure this was posted yet, some developer stuff: http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=5590
I was reading this and:

So now, for the first time in any Final Fantasy, the main character is a female. “For the first time in any Final Fantasy, we’re introducing a female main character; Lightning,” says Kitase.
Another groundbreaking turn in the Final Fantasy series is the introduction of a black main character; Sazh Katzroy
:/

Rpgmonkey

Himuro said:
How much of this monotony is left until I beat it? I beat what I suppose was the mid boss of chapter 11 and now I'm at Oerba after the extremely disappointing tower dungeon - you know your game design and level design is bad when that's the supposed best dungeon in the game - and I'm at the point where I'm just going to take it out of my ps3 and trade it in for Strange Journey already. I want to beat it but I completely lack the resolve to even play it.

Just dash through Oerba, beat the boss, run through Chapter 12 (takes about 1h to 1h30min), then do Ch. 13 (takes about 1h30min). You should have somewhere between 3h-3h30min left to go.

I found none of the "dungeons" in this to be particularly fascinating and memorable, though the last dungeon is sorta weird.

Himuro said:
Why suffer through it if you hate it so? Just to say you've played it?

Whats GAF's take on the healing between fights? Love it? Hate it?

Honestly I'm loving the full heal after a battle, makes the game pace much better instead of visiting the menu after every encounter to heal.

I thought there would be a lot of complaints about the healing between fights but i haven't seen much discussion about it.

Rpgmonkey

Himuro said:
Weird how?

It's like a weird...space place with blocks flying around into voids or something. These three Goddess things move the blocks around and send you to two or three random fights in some cathedral or something, and the background music is some kind of "space techno" stuff. And there's pink, lots and lots of pink. Then after that, you're teleported into a very simple white room, in which you continue to the final bosses.

Apparently the blocks are supposed to be data processed by a fal'Cie or something.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Well I guess i shouldve seen this coming since the FFXII battle system ended up pissing me off the same way after a while. I was hoping that this game would be different, and it would 'click' with me, but its just not meant to be i guess. Gonna be listing this game in the buy/sell/trade thread soon.

For the life of me i just cant beat the chapter 5 boss....cheap ass motherfucker that he is. I even stooped to looking at a youtube vid for how they do it, and when i try to do the exact same thing i cant stagger the son of a bitch, and i lose so much health from the physical attack, im literally having to heal every other move..losing what little stagger meter i have already built up.

I just dont have the patience for this shit...As it is i have little game time these days and i refuse to spend a ton of time each night not making any damn progress. Im probably going to stay away from future Final Fantasy games unless they go back to some sort of turn-based battle system again. This realtime, no time to wipe your ass combat system is just too much for me to handle!! :lol And its not like i suck at games either....ive been playing for 20+ years, and can hold my own in most games (just recently platinum'd GOW3 and im doing quite well in Demons Souls).

Im quite sad over this, but this game is just making me rage way too much, and just isnt fun for me. : (

Mock away!! :D

Himuro said:
Sounds like FF10's crappy final dungeon where you're sent these random places to square off against these enemies. Or am I thinking of Devil May Cry where you have to fight each and every boss again in a boss gauntlet? I don't remember.

First one.

Rpgmonkey

Himuro said:
Sounds like FF10's crappy final dungeon where you're sent these random places to square off against these enemies. Or am I thinking of Devil May Cry where you have to fight each and every boss again in a boss gauntlet? I don't remember.

Ah, that's the game it reminds me of.

It's sorta like 10's final dungeon, except the design feels a bit more coherent and it's titled slightly more in the direction of the pre-10 final dungeons. Besides the random forced fights, anyway.

Zoe said:
Didn't somebody say Long Gui is how you say turtle in Chinese?

Not in Mandarin, at any rate. It might be Cantonese.

Unless it's an unintentional mistaken usage. In Mandarin Chinese, long (pronounced like 'lone') means dragon, and the word gui is the second half of the compound word which means turtle. So it might intentionally be meant to mean 'dragon turtle' but you don't say it in Chinese like that, in much the same way nobody says 'dai katana' to mean 'big sword' in Japanese.

Was Nomura joking when he stated that Noctis is gay recently in a news article

i just want some confirmation that it was not an april fool's day joke

ZephyrFate said:
Was Nomura joking when he stated that Noctis is gay recently in a news article

i just want some confirmation that it was not an april fool's day joke

Why? Like what you see? ;D

I wonder how Stella will take this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom