• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - New Screenshots

FlyFaster

I wish I could get into the damn beta. I signed up the moment it went live. T_T

I played it at a friends house for hours a couple times, he's a legacy member or whatever title they give to the masochists who keep paying Square to play their games.

Khrno

I played the beta and it played like shit.

Worse then vanilla 14, which is not a good thing. Global cool down for all moves is terribly stupid. Only thing this game has going for it is it looks pretty. Combat is boring as hell.

Did you play last weekend? Or did you play over a month ago when they were doing server stress tests and lag was up through the roof, nothing like that at the moment. Also combat has received many changes.

It plays nothing like v1, it plays nothing like 11.

FlyFaster

Did you play last weekend? Or did you play over a month ago when they were doing server stress tests and lag was up through the roof, nothing like that at the moment. Also combat has received many changes.

It plays nothing like v1, it plays nothing like 11.

ya, I played it a while ago. Granted. But, nothing I've read about the game has changed my mind on it. I think the entire project is doomed to failure. It's just not a fun game. It wasn't the lag either, I didn't experience much lag, it was the game itself. The combat is boring and the global cool down means there is little incentive to do anything but hit the key that is going to give you the best return on damage over time.

For instance, there was a spell that knocks an enemy back to give you time to do something else, but since all the abilities are on a global cooldown, but the time you can act again, the monster is back, making the whole point of the spell useless. It's better to just keep slamming on that 1 key that allows you the best DPS, strategy be damned.

From what I've read they aren't changing global cool downs, among other things, and it just doesn't seem appealing. They are trying to make it more like other MMOs but they should learn by now that it doesn't work.

oh well, just my 2 cents from my time withthe game. I really don'tcare that much, as I'll never play the game.

Cornbread78

So any idea on monthly fee, or have I missed that this turned into F2P? Were't the PS3 BETA sign-ups like 6 months ago?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The idea of a console MMO that maintains traditional elements of the MMO genre has always seemed really interesting to me, never got around to trying FF11 on the ps2 so im curious about this thing.

Really hope it doesn't turn out to be FFXIV: A Realm Stillborn.

Try to take everything you hear about this game with a grain of salt. Especially from people who admit they aren't even testers. That's all I really have to say.

RK9039

Combat is only one of the things I care about the overall design in an MMO. Still... this makes me wary....

Yeah I understand. I still have the beta on my PC, it is somewhat enjoyable don't get me wrong, but my problem is I don't know how long I'll be able to firm that outdated combat system.

The overall design and the atmosphere I think is honestly really well done. Or at least from what I've played of it anyway (level 17 Lancer).

Mandoric

Banned
Yeah I understand. I still have the beta on my PC, it is somewhat enjoyable don't get me wrong, but my problem is I don't know how long I'll be able to firm that outdated combat system.

The overall design and the atmosphere I think is honestly really well done. Or at least from what I've played of it anyway (level 17 Lancer).

IMO, tabtarget/methodical has its place--just because something's always been the only way and is now one of many doesn't make it outdated. I'm more worried that in attempts to be actiony it'll degenerate to a flaily, limited mess rather than embracing the things like skillchains that a more measured pace makes possible.

Clipping drives me crazy.

0m6e9Gq.jpg

Damn I'm invited to the beta but totally forgot to play it. Well I remembered here and there but have been busy.

Is it still going on?

ya, I played it a while ago. Granted. But, nothing I've read about the game has changed my mind on it. I think the entire project is doomed to failure. It's just not a fun game. It wasn't the lag either, I didn't experience much lag, it was the game itself. The combat is boring and the global cool down means there is little incentive to do anything but hit the key that is going to give you the best return on damage over time.

For instance, there was a spell that knocks an enemy back to give you time to do something else, but since all the abilities are on a global cooldown, but the time you can act again, the monster is back, making the whole point of the spell useless. It's better to just keep slamming on that 1 key that allows you the best DPS, strategy be damned.

From what I've read they aren't changing global cool downs, among other things, and it just doesn't seem appealing. They are trying to make it more like other MMOs but they should learn by now that it doesn't work.

oh well, just my 2 cents from my time withthe game. I really don'tcare that much, as I'll never play the game.

I don't think this is inherently a problem with the GCD, as it works fine in plenty of other games, I think it's a problem with a lack of interesting and diverse skills. That problem is easily fixable with some tuning and introduction of new skills, so I don't see this as really the end of the world, but rather just "combat isn't tuned appropriately yet"

Midou

I think the combat plays fine, and the 'global' cooldown has its benefits. It's also not like EVERY skill has the same cooldown, it's mostly skills that combo together of the same type that do.

N.A

Banned
There is a big overhaul to all class skills coming in phase 3 + the limit breaks. It will be fairer to judge it then. Currently it works fine (I'm amazed by how well it controls on a gamepad), it just lacks variety and a reason for much movement.

ARR is never going to have the best combat in the genre though. It can excel elsewhere. The graphics, music, lore, quests, storylines, player housing, golden saucer, update schedule and the focus on party content are what can set it apart and justify the subscription.

RK9039

I think the combat plays fine, and the 'global' cooldown has its benefits. It's also not like EVERY skill has the same cooldown, it's mostly skills that combo together of the same type that do.

The problem is all you have to do is spam your strongest move over and over again, there's literally no reason or any incentives to use your other skills. Maybe it's because of the beta, I'm sure they'll implement a better cool down system, but right now that's one of the main problems with the combat.

N.A

Banned
Standard > $9.99 > 30 Days > 8 characters per server > 40 across all worlds
Entry > $12.99 > 30 Days > 1 character per server > 8 across all worlds

Those subs should read:

Legacy (players who paid for at least 3 cumulative months of 1.0) > $9.99 > 30 Days > 8 characters per server > 40 across all worlds
Entry > $12.99 > 30 Days > 1 character per server > 8 across all worlds
Standard > $14.99 > 30 Days > 8 characters per server > 40 across all worlds

N.A

Banned
dttPtiB.jpg

Looks amazing. Very glad they added such prominent spell effects for mages.

The engine's lighting is incredible. The technical director and other key staff of the Luminous Engine (Agni's Philosophy Tech Demo) were involved in making the new engine.

Baleoce

The engine's lighting is incredible. The technical director and other key staff of the Luminous Engine (Agni's Philosophy Tech Demo) were involved in making the new engine.

Yeah the lighting is fantastic. So many subtle things that are impressive about it in-game.

N.A

Banned
What's the difference between a class and a job?

Classes can use a wide variety of skills from other classes. Jobs are more specialized versions of classes (e.g. Gladiator's job is Paladin). They cannot use as many skills from other classes but have unique and usually the most powerful abilities.

Basically classes are more rounded and meant for solo play. Jobs are specialized and meant for party play.

They have spoken about adding more jobs for each class in the future such as Dark Knight for Gladiator.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Have some EU keys if anyone wants. NA people can make an EU account for the beta and play with NA players.

Clipping drives me crazy.

I think selectable cloth physics was a casualty of the transition.
Most of what's there is still great, but big sleeves, hats, and flared clothing is gonna clip in all sorts of animations.
I was pretty annoyed that, on Miqo'te, the Bard hat ALWAYS clipped through a stowed bow.

N.A

Banned
This game should really be ported to PS4 as well, as the PC version looks fantastic. The Ps3 version looks pretty bad in comparison... Plus It could be FF on PS4 at launch.

They already said that whilst they are currently only working on PS3 & PC, as soon as they are done they will be looking at other platforms. It would work out well with the DirectX 11 client and higher res textures they plan to release after launch.

Top Bottom