• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT2| Use a security token. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, as I get closer to Lv 50 with my Dragoon, I start running out of room to place abilites on my PS3 hotbar.
Should I start using macros to combine combos to a single button? What are your setups? Any hints?

The only macro that sorta works for DRG is macroing power surge to jump. No wait in between, just power surge first and jump second, with the /micon set to power surge. Be prepared for jump to shoot off first anyway sometimes though even when power surge is up.

Like someone else just mentioned, macroing gcd skills sucks because the wait command is garbage. Only thought it worked with MNK because some of their skills have hard set requirements for when a skill can be used so thought you could just put a bunch in a row and it would only use the one that could be used at that time.

Mairu

I love how much shit brd gets when you could easily play a blm with the face buttons on a PS3 pad :lol

Fire is hard

Considering the long GCD you can play pretty much anything with a ps3 pad without issue. I was watching a friend play Titan HM on his DRG with a controller and he wasn't having any problems avoiding anything.

Think its the being able the have complete freedom of movement while doing max dps that people hate on BRD for.

Yep. Considering how much every end game fight seems to involve aoe/movement of some kind, this is why BRD is so much better than any other class. There's no penalties for moving. No special positioning you need against the target and the only abilities you need to stand still for are the songs.

LaneDS

I ran over and popped Unchained, Internal Release, Berserk, and dropped a Storm's Eye combo, Butcher's Block combo, Inner Beast, Infuriate, Inner Beast on that wave 3 dreadnaught. Even with the large head start I'm not sure there's a tank alive that could keep that aggro off me at that point. I poke fun at Lane, but he does a great job. As a tank I have just learned to accept that if someone really, really wants to take aggro off me they are probably going to be able to do it. Especially those damn white mages!

In Turn 2 we should both pull the first mini-boss going all-out with whatever we think would be max threat (short of using provoke)... I'm curious how close I'd be in Sword Oath since that seems to be the best way to keep threat, although ultimately really stupid to use in any progression raiding where you're actually supposed to tank things.

Ultimately though, I think WAR threat is better when similarly geared and the bursts are suitably bursty.

For those curious, here are our character sheets:
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1875282/ (me)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1638891/ (Bisonian)

Ferr986

So, as I get closer to Lv 50 with my Dragoon, I start running out of room to place abilites on my PS3 hotbar.
Should I start using macros to combine combos to a single button? What are your setups? Any hints?

I just have a 2nd hotbar with the buffs in (1st hotbar for the combos).
It may take some time to get used, but its fast to swap between hotbars 1 and 2 with just pushing L2 (disable any non-drg hotbars in fighting stance, theres an option in the menus for that).

Ultrabum

The only macro that sorta works for DRG is macroing power surge to jump. No wait in between, just power surge first and jump second, with the /micon set to power surge. Be prepared for jump to shoot off first anyway sometimes though even when power surge is up.

Like someone else just mentioned, macroing gcd skills sucks because the wait command is garbage. Only thought it worked with MNK because some of their skills have hard set requirements for when a skill can be used so thought you could just put a bunch in a row and it would only use the one that could be used at that time.

I also thought this would work, but in practice, I noticed the wrong skill going off every once in a while, which led to me dropping stacks.

It works really well on paper, sucks in practice lol

LaneDS

The gaf fc already has four groups or so working through coil and were hardly hardcore. That excuse for a lack luster end game and short sighted plans for the future should end.

Sad but true. Our FC cleared Turn 4 the first week we saw it, on only our second week of running Binding Coil. We raid two nights a week for 2-3 hours and that was all it took.

Great, engaging, challenging fights... but now at Turn 5 we're essentially done with available content for a long while.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
The gaf fc already has four groups or so working through coil and were hardly hardcore. That excuse for a lack luster end game and short sighted plans for the future should end.

Yeah, I am in one of those coil running groups and I am far from hardcore. Take tons of time off for the wife and family along with other things and working 60 hours a week. I maybe get a few hours per day to game, yet I am on turn 4 of coil.

Time management is a hell of a thing and working towards goals instead of lollygagging around town begging for optimal groups gets a person pretty far in this game.

Don't use macros for combos. What I do is set off-gcd skills or buff inside gcd skills, for example:

/ac "Internal Release"
/ac "Fracture"

So in the middle of the GCD you can start pressing the macro, will do IR before the GCD is UP and then will do Fracture.

Alucrid

Banned
Don't use macros for combos. What I do is set off-gcd skills or buff inside gcd skills, for example:

/ac "Internal Release"
/ac "Fracture"

So in the middle of the GCD you can start pressing the macro, will do IR before the GCD is UP and then will do Fracture.
I buffer cds in between gcds too but I'd rather have control over when I use then

Shouldn't the OT be put in community by now?

And where are my transfers damnit, already losing guild mates who wouldn't wait and got sick of playing alone.

Bisonian

In Turn 2 we should both pull the first mini-boss going all-out with whatever we think would be max threat (short of using provoke)... I'm curious how close I'd be in Sword Oath since that seems to be the best way to keep threat, although ultimately really stupid to use in any progression raiding where you're actually supposed to tank things.

This is not a fight you want! :x

Let me have my one victory and go face tank 2 dreadnaughts at the same time you sick freak.

gatti-man

I wasn't making excuses. I play almost every day and am not even on coil yet. Gaf by nature is hardcore. The fact that you can't see that means you should take a step back.

gatti-man

Yeah, I am in one of those coil running groups and I am far from hardcore. Take tons of time off for the wife and family along with other things and working 60 hours a week. I maybe get a few hours per day to game, yet I am on turn 4 of coil.

Time management is a hell of a thing and working towards goals instead of lollygagging around town begging for optimal groups gets a person pretty far in this game.

Gaming 14 hours a week is A LOT. Also qualify that. Did you start at lvl 50 at the launch of ARR?

So does that mean I'm hxc or that you just have too much idle time?

I work 50 hours a week and have a gf so I probably game 10-13 hours a week. I started at 0 and am currently working on my relic. You guys either started at a high lvl or are pushing a ton of hours into the game and should be honest with yourselves and others especially when jumping all over me about making excuses over endgame content. This game has a ton of content in it. If you can't see that I can't help it.

Kokonoe

Banned
This is not a fight you want! :x

Let me have my one victory and go face tank 2 dreadnaughts at the same time you sick freak.

Here.

PzJp71s.png

Alucrid

Banned
Gaming 14 hours a week is A LOT. Also qualify that. Did you start at lvl 50 at the launch of ARR?
When you have to create artifical barriers to stop people from completing the highest content you have and the first update to the game is filling in content that should have been there at launch its hardly the players fault for playing too much or going too fast

Ah yes, the "unlike you I have a life" argument. Good job.

aceface

Sad but true. Our FC cleared Turn 4 the first week we saw it, on only our second week of running Binding Coil. We raid two nights a week for 2-3 hours and that was all it took.

Great, engaging, challenging fights... but now at Turn 5 we're essentially done with available content for a long while.

What's the deal with Turn 5? Too hard for the gear they supply, or is it just not available yet?

I buffer cds in between gcds too but I'd rather have control over when I use then

Yeah, is a compromise but an acceptable one, given that you want to save the most time possible to get the most of your DRG dmg boost. Even if you're really fast changing hot bars is not really an option.

mr2t

Banned
Do any of the GAF coil groups have any openings? I'm Gustavain in the fc and have a geared whm and bard. I've done turn 1 and 2 but I think my current group is splitting up.

Alucrid

Banned
How is it impossible?

Just because it hasn't been legitimately cleared yet doesn't mean it can't be done.
Random elements that no one thus far has been able to figure out that kills you. Considering the nature of the previous battles ot makes no sense and when you have hardcore reading guilds going at it for weeks you know something is up.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Random elements that no one thus far has been able to figure out that kills you. Considering the nature of the previous battles ot makes no sense and when you have hardcore reading guilds going at it for weeks you know something is up.

Along with all the buffs/debuffs not being translated.

gatti-man

When you have to create artifical barriers to stop people from completing the highest content you have and the first update to the game is filling in content that should have been there at launch its hardly the players fault for playing too much or going too fast

Ah yes, the "unlike you I have a life" argument. Good job.

I see you didn't take my advice of taking a step back. I wasn't saying you have no life. I was quantifying my statement that I'm a normal gamer who is spending a normal to normal/heavy amount of time on the game.

Look you seem like you expect a ridiculous amount of endgame launch content which is something that iirc never happens. You also never said if you started ARR as a lvl 50 or not.

Alucrid

Banned
I see you didn't take my advice of taking a step back. I wasn't saying you have no life. I was quantifying my statement that I'm a normal gamer who is spending a normal to normal/heavy amount of time on the game.

Look you seem like you expect a ridiculous amount of endgame launch content which is something that iirc never happens. You also never said if you started ARR as a lvl 50 or not.
What I'm saying is that the end game content isn't enough to last 5 months until patch 2.2

Mairu

And where are my transfers damnit, already losing guild mates who wouldn't wait and got sick of playing alone.

I have a feeling we won't see it this week. Getting pretty impatient though, it'd be nice if my friends could finally transfer over so we could start coil :|
How is it impossible?

Just because it hasn't been legitimately cleared yet doesn't mean it can't be done.

The nature of MMO endgame suggests it's overtuned on purpose to not be complet-able rather than people just missing something about the fight (and I say this without any knowledge of anything in turn 5 - just done a lot of mmo raiding in other games)

Alucrid

Banned
5 months? I thought we were getting new content in November D:

No, the 'new content' is the content that's meant to bridge the gap between AK/whatever and Coil, which probably should have been in there at launch.

And yes Gatti man, I started at 0.

Right now the end game consists of

2 8 man story dungeons
1 4 man dungeon
1 missing 24 man dungeon
1 8 man dungeon
3 hard primals

so basically HM titan and coil. which is supposed to last until 2.2. sure.

gatti-man

What I'm saying is that the end game content isn't enough to last 5 months until patch 2.2

You said its lack luster and SE is being short sighted and accused me of making excuses about it when all I said was non hardcore will be fine. You are aware that there are tons of players still not at cap right? Then you go on to say turn 5 is broken because you haven't and others haven't beat it yet. That says you are basically right with the most hardcore of all players. If it hasn't been beaten in another month or two then maybe it's broken. Don't you think SE did that to slow people like you down? So that would be SE having foresight and not being short sighted lol.

Alucrid

Banned
You said its lack luster and SE is being short sighted and accused me of making excuses about it when all I said was non hardcore will be fine. You are aware that there are tons of players still not at cap right? Then you go on to say turn 5 is broken because you haven't and others haven't beat it yet. That says you are basically right with the most hardcore of all players. If it hasn't been beaten in another month or two then maybe it's broken. Don't you think SE did that to slow people like you down? So that would be SE having foresight and not being short sighted lol.

hard core got there on the first week. i got there last week. also slow us down from what? it's the last thing in the game.

so you're saying they had foresight of their short shortsightedness? yeah, i agree with that.

patch 2.1, which is two months off give or take, contains no new content past coil. it's only filler content that should have been in the game originally. considering how many gaps in questlines there are, i'd say they have a lot of filling to do. there's also no player housing coming then, just fc housing, so they're not even padding it by giving us non-raid content.

daveo42

Banned
5 months? I thought we were getting new content in November D:

This content is supposed to be the gap between HM primals and BC. CT was supposed to be in the game originally to help people get geared for BC, but it's being re-tuned. SE should have made sure that BC was ready at launch or just left it out, since players can and do go farther than devs ever think they will.

Torquill

I use all 4 "right" hot bars ("left" is reserved for shared skills).

Come up with a list of "roles" you are in at any given time: single target DPS (with optional stun/slow duties), AE DPS, ranged DPS, defensive/healing, movement utility (creating/closing gaps with jumps).

Determine which skills belong in each role. There may be overlap, ie, life surge is both healing and single target damage.
Organize your skills across the 4 bars as you wish.

For me, this mitigates needing to hunt for skills. I know which bars have which roles so I can quickly switch to what I need.

studyguy

Someone in our FC got hacked, they managed to clear out most of our FC chest's shards. Oh well, not much else, but serves us right for making it open. Though everyone was authenticated though.

Reishiki

Banned
Can't be bothered with the end game gear grind, went to level other stuff.

Monk is kinda fun, but I feel I should level a tank or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom