• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - 30 minutes of gameplay (Japanese)

jett

D-Member
I hate to say it because there are many, many genuine people out there, but you bet there's going to be reviews on either extreme just for the traffic it'll bring.

I believe FFXV reviews will be all over the map, and it'll hardly have anything to do with fishing for hits.. The overall vibe of the game will probably immediately put off several people.

.JayZii

Banned
I think it's interesting that Falk suggested that there will be some reviews for FFXV that will be to "either extreme" and everyone is reading it as meaning bad reviews and a low metacritic rating.

Voror

I think it's interesting that Falk suggested that there will be some reviews for FFXV that will be to "either extreme" and everyone is reading it as meaning bad reviews and a low metacritic rating.

I figured he meant we'd see people saying it's one of the best Final Fantasy games and others saying it's a train wreck.

I'd be surprised if anyone proclaimed it as their favorite.

"Absolutely amazing and wildly ambitious game, combining a mind-bogglingly huge and beautiful world with an epic tale about a young prince, who lost his father and kingdom, and is now forced to carry the burden of his destiny. At the core, however, it's a heart warming coming-of-age story and road-trip that had us smiling throughout the whole journey. A true return to glory for the series. Square Enix reclaimed their throne.

Score: 4/10"

I remember the absolute horror the FFXIII 4/10 score from Jim Sterling caused back in the day...and the Edge score of the same number

Ran rp

Falk
is our Jester

AIb6B0E.png

.JayZii

Banned
Shouldnt duckroll be the jester
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Duckroll, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Duckroll, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Actually... That sounds about right.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Sounds like a bunch of FF13 trilogy terms all jumbled together

Speaking of Lovecraft, I wonder if CthUltros is going to be in the game proper.
I'm still a little confused about his appearance in Kingsglaive. Was he a similar sort of demon to Cerberus?

Yeah, it seems like
Niflheim just has some straight up monster factory somewhere. Either that, or we'll find out in the game where they find/make these beasts. Ardyn makes a comment at one point about it being a waste to just dump all the Diamond Weapon things, so I assume they're not that simple to acquire.

Voror

Yeah, it seems like
Niflheim just has some straight up monster factory somewhere. Either that, or we'll find out in the game where they find/make these beasts. Ardyn makes a comment at one point about it being a waste to just dump all the Diamond Weapon things, so I assume they're not that simple to acquire.

Which does bring up the question of
where do these things come from? They don't seem like normal monsters or creatures from the wild. Perhaps related to whatever is behind the Plague of Stars?

.JayZii

Banned
Yeah, it seems like
I'd love to go through an area in XV like the Gelnika in FFVII with all the experimental abominations.

Gbraga

So you're saying duckroll is a blind idiot?

Which does bring up the question of
where do these things come from? They don't seem like normal monsters or creatures from the wild. Perhaps related to whatever is behind the Plague of Stars?

Hopefully. Kingsglaive wasn't amazing, but it was a good starter for this world, and I hope the final game makes good on some of the things KG alludes to.

Voror

Hopefully. Kingsglaive wasn't amazing, but it was a good starter for this world, and I hope the final game makes good on some of the things KG alludes to.

That's my hope as well. I actually hope stuff from this extra media gets brought up in the game like some of the character bits from Brotherhood or maybe seeing some enemies. Or
the stuff with Glauca becomes a thing.

Yeah, it seems like

Definitely --
they refer to them as "Demons," which made we think not so much a factory as some kind of summoning. But Niflheim has been presented as a mechanically oriented empire, not mystical, so I guess factory would make more sense. I thought Ardyn was also referring to the destruction of Insomnia. Boy he came off as creepy/unhinged in Kingsglaive, way less like a mysterious potential ally type than I thought he would.

Anyway, very excited to see some of the epic foes in the game -- poorly placed as Ch. 0 seems, fiery guy sure comes off as visually impressive.

Toth

Definitely --
they refer to them as "Demons," which made we think not so much a factory as some kind of summoning. But Niflheim has been presented as a mechanically oriented empire, not mystical, so I guess factory would make more sense. I thought Ardyn was also referring to the destruction of Insomnia. Boy he came off as creepy/unhinged in Kingsglaive, way less like a mysterious potential ally type than I thought he would.

Anyway, very excited to see some of the epic foes in the game -- poorly placed as Ch. 0 seems, fiery guy sure comes off as visually impressive.

I posted this in the Kingsglaive thread but I speculated that this is the serious threat of the Plague of Stars: longer and ultimately everlasting night means that the already powerful daemons will become even more powerful and have free reign over the darkened world. It would be the end of the world essentially.

I posted this in the Kingsglaive thread but I speculated that this is the serious threat of the Plague of Stars: longer and ultimately everlasting night means that the already powerful daemons will become even more powerful and have free reign over the darkened world. It would be the end of the world essentially.

I wonder if Niflheim is perhaps in perpetual darkness and thus can easily find and capture daemons for their use? I don't know anything about Niflheim outside of the random night scenes purported to be set there in one or two trailers though, so I could be off base completely.

Voror

Definitely --

Yeah, they've always been presented with a mechanical bent to them but maybe they've just found a way to bind Demons to their will at least temporarily to throw at their enemies. I believe Ardyn was told to make sure the DW was destroyed and their control seemed limited to pointing it at something.

Of course, that just makes me question what the hell is up with Glauca's armor because that certainly seems magic oriented in nature.

I can't say he ever struck me as a potential ally. Always seemed like someone shady playing everyone for his own ends.

These conjectures are getting me even more excited! The world descending into not just night but eldritch horror would be a pretty cool hook for FF.

Re the Kingsglaive spoilers
certainly true that the demons didn't seem at all controllable - it's like Niflheim just harvested them or something, and wherever they're dropped they just do their thing. Transport would seem a little dodgy though....

Arkeband

Banned

I mean, we know for a fact that the X1 version's visuals, if they end up as bad as what we've been shown so far, is going to get that one's review scores hammered. There's no escaping that.

As far as gameplay, it really depends if the ARPG angle works. If it's not a clunky mess, which remains to be proven, then you will probably get reviewers who aren't long-time fans of the series praising it for being a new entry point for converts to the series, and long-time fans giving it bonus points for exceeding their expectations and being proven wrong.

If the combat sucks, however, you'll get waves of "I-told-you-so's' from long-time fans who have always predicted that ARPG was the wrong way to go. It'll get raked over the coals. You can have as many anime spinoffs or photorealistic cutscenes of sandwiches as you want, but the jig is up if the combat isn't good.

It's too early to tell if the story will put people off. We've seen some good voice acting and we've seen some bad. We've seen good mocap work, we've also seen Iris flailing her arms around like a Sim. For something going for western-realism, the quality of the animation and the voice work is going to make or break the storytelling.

I can see why reviews will be extreme, but based on the pushed back release date and extremely dodgy promotional material, I'd expect more on the bad end. Though I'd love to be wrong.

I mean, we know for a fact that the X1 version's visuals, if they end up as bad as what we've been shown so far, is going to get that one's review scores hammered. There's no escaping that.

As far as gameplay, it really depends if the ARPG angle works. If it's not a clunky mess, which remains to be proven, then you will probably get reviewers who aren't long-time fans of the series praising it for being a new entry point for converts to the series, and long-time fans giving it bonus points for exceeding their expectations and being proven wrong.

If the combat sucks, however, you'll get waves of "I-told-you-so's' from long-time fans who have always predicted that ARPG was the wrong way to go. It'll get raked over the coals. You can have as many anime spinoffs or photorealistic cutscenes of sandwiches as you want, but the jig is up if the combat isn't good.

It's too early to tell if the story will put people off. We've seen some good voice acting and we've seen some bad. We've seen good mocap work, we've also seen Iris flailing her arms around like a Sim. For something going for western-realism, the quality of the animation and the voice work is going to make or break the storytelling.

I can see why reviews will be extreme, but based on the pushed back release date and extremely dodgy promotional material, I'd expect more on the bad end. Though I'd love to be wrong
What about all the positive previews? Pretty sure that matters more

Voror

These conjectures are getting me even more excited! The world descending into not just night but eldritch horror would be a pretty cool hook for FF.

Re the Kingsglaive spoilers
certainly true that the demons didn't seem at all controllable - it's like Niflheim just harvested them or something, and wherever they're dropped they just do their thing. Transport would seem a little dodgy though....

It's definitely a neat angle and sort of feels like it draws from WoR from FFVI which Tabata has often cited. It could make return trips to cities spooky if they're filled with Demons and otherwise empty except for maybe a few areas where people are hiding. Imagine you travel to Niflheim and it's utterly destroyed. Perhaps home to some incredibly powerful demons that can be super bosses. Then there's returning to Insomnia.

Yeah, I was surprised they were able to transport those DWs at all. Everything else just felt like dropping in dangerous creatures to devour their foes or slow them down. Have we ever confirmed if there are any actual human soldiers for Niflheim?

It's definitely a neat angle and sort of feels like it draws from WoR from FFVI which Tabata has often cited. It could make return trips to cities spooky if they're filled with Demons and otherwise empty except for maybe a few areas where people are hiding. Imagine you travel to Niflheim and it's utterly destroyed. Perhaps home to some incredibly powerful demons that can be super bosses. Then there's returning to Insomnia.

Yeah, I was surprised they were able to transport those DWs at all. Everything else just felt like dropping in dangerous creatures to devour their foes or slow them down. Have we ever confirmed if there are any actual human soldiers for Niflheim?

That would be an awesome endgame world setup.

Not that I'm aware of, which makes Ardyn and Iedolas even creepier in some ways. They're like these disconnected, disaffected tech heads, waited on by robots as they sit high above the human misery they cause.

Top Bottom