• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XV Active Time Report 8.0 [PAX Prime 2015]

What are you expecting from this ATR?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_castle

You'd probably have gotten less shitposting replies if you'd said "can tell which game i'm going to like better".

Just sayin'.

I can't really say that because while I think Persona 5 is almost undoubtedly going to be the better game, I'm still somehow looking forward to FFXV more. I'm weird like that. :p

raven777

BleakMaleEasternnewt.gif

wmlk

Persona 5 was always going to be the more stylish.
It's also probably going to be better.
The way the characters dress in FFXV just clashes so much with the roadtrip theme. It still amazes me that we haven't seen anything of them changing their clothes for it. In no world would teenage boys ever dress like that on a road trip.

The menus in FFXV also are really bland. Should be more colorful and/or have more pictures so that the submenus can stand out from each other more.

Of course there's a world where these guys wear those clothes. You're seeing that world in FFXV.

Menu can show a lot of things. It can show some of the game mechanics that will be present in the game. It can show how much care and love the developers put into their game when designing the interfaces and such. It can show the vibe and personality of the game, and subsequently the story and characters.

Final Fantasy menu's have always been simplistic, though. Seems like you just wanted a random chance to take a dig at the game.

ConceptX

Final Fantasy XV

CNpLwdVVAAASrTf.jpg

Persona 5

Persona-5_PV-Snap_02-05_007.jpg

Even from the menu alone we can tell which is going to be the better game.

See to me, that shows XV as being the "better game".

I'm more excited for driving, magic and summons and so on.

XV has a serious story, it has a clean serious menu, what's wrong with it? The series always has simple menu's.

Each to their own, P5 will be a great game, I don't really see the point of your post other than to provoke people.

Axass

Going to watch the youtube video now, looks like it went better than last time looking at the summary.

FFXV? Because it looks clean and classy instead of a huge mess?

You're confusing classy and clean with boring and empty.

Just my opinion.

wmlk

With firearms finally shown off for Noctis, this pretty much also confirms weapon switching in some capacity. It wouldn't make sense to switch to a sword by going through a menu.

raven777

With firearms finally shown off for Noctis, this pretty much also confirms weapon switching in some capacity. It wouldn't make sense to switch to a sword by going through a menu.

Tabata said the shield is sub-weapon. So firearm is probably also a sub-weapon.

Philippo

So for now we know Noctis can use:
-Sword
-Greatsword
-Spear
-Knives
-Katana (supposedly)
+ (Sub-weapons)
-Shield
-Gun

Already makes the combat more interesting.

KupoNut

I mean, I really do think that P5 will be the better game, but now it's gotten to the point of judging WIP UI to compare games. Don't you think that's silly?

Yeah, that's why showing development progress updates is a bad thing, a lot of the things are unfinished and people draw conclusions.

sappyday

The game is looking really good. A 2016 date seems like it will definitely be hit. I know they confirmed it but there a lot naysayers that love to say they won't reach it.

NullKaze

Looks much nicer than running around empty-handed and magically materialize a weapon out of thin air at the split second before attacking.

Oh I don't know, if I was carrying around a sword, I'd definitely prefer to materialise it a second before attacking, if just for running efficiency and weight-bearing. Not to mention it would allow you to do some badass surprise attacks.

But I think Cor's sword is actually physically there and not part of Noctis' arsenal. That's why he runs with it.

-Sword
-Greatsword
-Spear
-Knives
-Katana (supposedly)
+ (Sub-weapons)
-Shield
-Gun

I have a feeling there are going to be some cool combo videos made on youtube when this game comes out.

Some delicious new info have arrived, and more to come in TGS :0!!

Ohh, they finally showed Cor's weapon - he looks absolutely badass!!

Akiller

-Sword
-Greatsword
-Spear
-Knives
-Katana (supposedly)
+ (Sub-weapons)
-Shield
-Gun

Cool weapon list, that sounds good but i don't know, i hope it won't turn into a button smashing without deepness.

Kikujiro

Does Persona fans have an inferiority complex that they need to shit every thread by making stupid comparisons?

A flashy designed menu doesn't make a game better. Good god.

Yes, it is a role-playing game, and part of the role you will be playing is of a person on a road trip with friends. If Square wants to really build this the right way and it looks like it does, it will include a large world with positive and negative spaces. The same type of set-up you would find going on an actual road-trip.

Do you know why a lot of games that don't necessarily need to include a jump mechanic, include one? It is because the possibility of doing something is really important to players even if they have no intention of ever going through with it. If Square built all these roads with invisible walls around them people would complain they were only hallways. By having this world be open, even though most players won't explore these areas, it gives a sense of freedom and place.

I don't consider it meaningful content, but the drive to fill everything with something absolutely leads in that direction. There is a fear of negative space in gaming. We can't just have a world, it needs to be filled with something or people start calling for it to get cut. The first thing you thought to call a game with negative space was a "walking simulator." We can't just enjoy the existing in the space it must entertain us like we are the center of its universe. This mentality leads to a lot of shallowness in design. It leads to wanting the player to save the entire world even if it is just one small issue at a time. Every problem, becomes the player's problem.

Nobody would be talking about SotC today with out its use of negative space, nobody. If shadow had the player teleport to each arena it would have been forgotten years ago. The game's significance is its negative space -the brilliant thought to not include additional npcs or enemies in the field. You cannot achieve the overwhelming sense of loneliness that game conveys if everything were small arenas or random quests. It would completely lose what made the world feel forgotten, and without that? The sense of violation being perpetrated by the player against the few inhabitants of that world would have disappeared. The game would be forgettable.

Thumbs up. Most modern open world games are paradoxically claustrophobic, stumbling on a new forgotten temple or mercenary camp every 100 yards. Good road trips are all about punctuation, and, in SEs glory days this was something they used to nail.

zoukka

Does Persona fans have an inferiority complex that they need to shit every thread by making stupid comparisons?

A flashy designed menu doesn't make a game better. Good god.

Also pointing out a dull menu design doesn't mean you have an inferiority complex. Grow up.

Rosur

Just finished watching alot better than the E3 one (didn't watch gamscom's one).

So definitely 2016 now and as announcing in march it will be a November/ October game.

Thoraxes

If the travelling experience is just going to mostly be an on-rails affair, it'd be nice to just skip it if I don't want to explore (which is looking that way for 90% of this game for me, judging by the way the world looks).

Otherwise I am going to get fat from all the sandwich-making breaks.

Philippo

Cool weapon list, that sounds good but i don't know, i hope it won't turn into a button smashing without deepness.

Well to that list you probably have to add other weapon and sub-weapon types, then consider:
-weapon abilities
-magic
-summon
-phantom swords
-weapon deck system
-cross-combo
-monster-climbing

The battle system will probably still end up being a little mashy on the input side of things, but it should be supported by side systems like ai management, noctis and party customization, it could end up with an incredible depth.

Go_Ly_Dow

I can't really say that because while I think Persona 5 is almost undoubtedly going to be the better game, I'm still somehow looking forward to FFXV more. I'm weird like that. :p

Both Square and Atlus excel in their respective field of design and artistry. They are each capable of things that the other can't do and therefore we get different experiences.

I've never really understood direct 1:1 comparisons with such different games.

They are both JRPGs, but will resonate with me in different ways. Just as Persona 4 and FFX are in my top 5 games for different reasons.

Dark_castle

Well to that list you probably have to add other weapon and sub-weapon types, then consider:
-weapon abilities
-magic
-summon
-phantom swords
-weapon deck system
-cross-combo
-monster-climbing

The battle system will probably still end up being a little mashy on the input side of things, but it should be supported by side systems like ai management, noctis and party customization, it could end up with an incredible depth.

We still don't know if there really will be monster climbing mechanics in FFXV. It was only briefly mentioned in one of the earlier ATR many months ago, never to be talked about or ever featured in gameplay footage again.

Also pointing out a dull menu design doesn't mean you have an inferiority complex. Grow up.

The comparison was childish and unnecessary though. The UI is no simpler than previous FF games and is no way representative of how the game actually plays or how good the story is. It was a stupid comment, end of story.

I'd say this is a case of apples and oranges aesthetically. Neither are bad. They fit their style, and the FFXV UI is still incomplete.

But overall you mostly come across as desperate to defend the game against FFXV and honestly going by how strong the Persona fanbase is, it isn't really necessary :p

CSI ENHANCE.

VDlkFzo.jpg

If that's not the "black haired woman" next to Luna then I'm going to eat my imaginary hat.

PL4JMB5.png

I assume she's a Niflheim knight / officer who is tasked on guarding Luna or something.

Luna's right hand girl......I like it.

Final Fantasy XV

CNpLwdVVAAASrTf.jpg

Persona 5

Persona-5_PV-Snap_02-05_007.jpg

While your deduction is hilarious, 2D art for menu's is far superior. Get that Nomura art Tabata!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom