• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Multiplayer Expansion - First Look + Closed Beta August 3rd

Do you think we will be able to play as female characters in multiplayer?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I know this thread is about the mp beta right now, but did they ever add a hard mode to the game? I wouldn't mind replaying it from start to finish with harder fights. And how is the challenge of the beta? Haven't gotten to try it yet.

Slaythe

The main game absolutely needs an item limit.

Max 5 healing items. Stock all your items in the car, replenish inventory whenever you use the car rest.

But during exploration dungeon etc... it should be 5 max.

6a70fjd.gif

I know this thread is about the mp beta right now, but did they ever add a hard mode to the game? I wouldn't mind replaying it from start to finish with harder fights. And how is the challenge of the beta? Haven't gotten to try it yet.

No hard mode in the main game yet.

The Online Test is actually a challenge, very easy to get decimated.

The main game absolutely needs an item limit.

Max 5 healing items. Stock all your items in the car, replenish inventory whenever you use the car rest.

But during exploration dungeon etc... it should be 5 max.

Or an item cooldown of sorts. Either one would work I think.

ASaiyan

Banned
So, I'm out of the loop...what is this exactly? Is this online multiplayer added into the main game, or a new map a la GTA/MGS Online? Are there new multiplayer focused quests and areas?

I've played through XV, I just don't entirely understand how you can add online multi to a singleplayer RPG, lol.

BadWolf

So, I'm out of the loop...what is this exactly? Is this online multiplayer added into the main game, or a new map a la GTA/MGS Online? Are there new multiplayer focused quests and areas?

I've played through XV, I just don't entirely understand how you can add online multi to a singleplayer RPG, lol.

It's a separate online multiplayer mode.

Sorry does this beta end or will it be up until release?

Yah... I think this mode will be popular.
This is also fun in the way that in the place it takes in the story
since basically all of civilization has fallen, there are no more big nations, cities or governments. It's basically just a bunch of people fighting for themselves in a world taken over by daemons. I could see how that type of setting would make people a little crazy and go around slashing up monsters in a chocobo costume :D And this goes on for 10 years, until Noctis comes back and ends the daemon scourge so people can start rebuilding again.

Really? wow... I didn't expect that. I guess it will just drop suddenly, like the other DLCs.

Season Pass

There's a 6 month gap between Episode Prompto and Episode Ignis. It could land somewhere in between that. I say no rush though. This beta showed me that they've actually put in a lot of thought and new systems into this mode. I just want it to have a good amount of content right from the start. They will definitely keep updating it after release though.

So how the hell do make a private group?

How do you cancel a countdown once it's started?

How to you return to the main menu, without restarting the game?

How to you return to Cor once you're at a camp?

Caim

So how the hell do make a private group?

How do you cancel a countdown once it's started?

How to you return to the main menu, without restarting the game?

How to you return to Cor once you're at a camp?

1. Quest Select > Custom > New > Code

2/3/4. You can't. Once you pick start a mission you just go through the whole thing until it ends and takes you back to title screen.

1. Quest Select > Custom > New > Code

2/3/4. You can't. Once you pick start a mission you just go through the whole thing until it ends and takes you back to title screen.

I did one but My friend can't see it. Must be the servers :/

2/3/4/ wow that sucks...

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Take Lightning away!

Although, this really does go to show how powerful XV's graphic engine is that they could make real-time graphics on par with CG. :D
Final fantasy XV's graphics are nowhere near CGI level...

Ended up having a pretty dismal time with this, unfortunately. Trying to pair up with a friend was a nightmare and there were rampant issues that prevented me from joining parties with actual people. Even when forming a party of my own and looking for players or trying to join a premade party, the game started tossing me into the same party with the same AI characters over and over again, no matter how many times I reloaded or tried to switch servers, and no matter how many times I beat said mission.

The lack of an ability that I could see to leave a party, go to the title screen or otherwise quit the game without closing it is pretty unacceptable, even for a test. That's basic functionality. Moving you on automatically to more missions and erasing all of your progress when you beat them is also taking a lot of fun out of it, I see zero reason for there not to be a persistent example of your character.

They made a lot of decent improvements to the combat, such as the addition of curative magic and offensive magic tied to MP rather than to grenades, but this is sort of undermined by what the game devolved into when I actually did manage to group with players for a mission. Essentially, you just mob a bunch of damage-sponge enemies until an enemy with a great deal of health appears. There aren't really a lot of interesting tactical options here, it's basically just swarm, hit, and run and then repeat. The new weapons have excellent style in a lot of cases, but Comrades suffers from a lot of the combat shortcomings XV itself has that prevent melee combat from feeling as good as the painstaking animations. While magic was a big improvement, its effects surprisingly felt pretty limp.

It has potential for sure, and I probably had more fun with the combat in Comrades than in XV's base game thanks to a lot of excellent and mindful changes (tying magic to MP this way should be a no-brainer, as well as removing friendly fire and long windups) but the server issues, the questionable decision to wipe all beta progress and some of the lackluster elements from XV's base game kept it from being a positive experience overall. They've got a lot of time to make improvements, but I'm not as worried about the technical side of things as I am about the quests providing meaningful and interesting gameplay.

Keinning

Ended up having a pretty dismal time with this, unfortunately. Trying to pair up with a friend was a nightmare and there were rampant issues that prevented me from joining parties with actual people. Even when forming a party of my own and looking for players or trying to join a premade party, the game started tossing me into the same party with the same AI characters over and over again, no matter how many times I reloaded or tried to switch servers, and no matter how many times I beat said mission.

The lack of an ability that I could see to leave a party, go to the title screen or otherwise quit the game without closing it is pretty unacceptable, even for a test. That's basic functionality. Moving you on automatically to more missions and erasing all of your progress when you beat them is also taking a lot of fun out of it, I see zero reason for there not to be a persistent example of your character.

They made a lot of decent improvements to the combat, such as the addition of curative magic and offensive magic tied to MP rather than to grenades, but this is sort of undermined by what the game devolved into when I actually did manage to group with players for a mission. Essentially, you just mob a bunch of damage-sponge enemies until an enemy with a great deal of health appears. There aren't really a lot of interesting tactical options here, it's basically just swarm, hit, and run and then repeat. The new weapons have excellent style in a lot of cases, but Comrades suffers from a lot of the combat shortcomings XV itself has that prevent melee combat from feeling as good as the painstaking animations. While magic was a big improvement, its effects surprisingly felt pretty limp.

It has potential for sure, and I probably had more fun with the combat in Comrades than in XV's base game thanks to a lot of excellent and mindful changes (tying magic to MP this way should be a no-brainer, as well as removing friendly fire and long windups) but the server issues, the questionable decision to wipe all beta progress and some of the lackluster elements from XV's base game kept it from being a positive experience overall. They've got a lot of time to make improvements, but I'm not as worried about the technical side of things as I am about the quests providing meaningful and interesting gameplay.

This is a beta slash online test, not early access
It's not meant for you to grind and hoard weapons before everyone else. You're there to help them test their servers. That's the sole reason of this test.

Your complain about not having an option to leave a party is totally valid - i got stuck in the camp when someone else logged off and i spent a few minutes admiring the absurd reality of not having a single "quit to menu" option anywhere and having to close the game entirely. The rest is kinda irrelevant to the test and more an issue you have with your own expectations for something that was never advertised as what you wanted it to be.

This is a beta slash online test, not early access
It's not meant for you to grind and hoard weapons before everyone else. You're there to help them test their servers. That's the sole reason of this test.

Your complain about not having an option to leave a party is totally valid - i got stuck in the camp when someone else logged off and i spent a few minutes admiring the absurd reality of not having a single "quit to menu" option anywhere and having to close the game entirely. The rest is kinda irrelevant to the test and more an issue you have with your own expectations for something that was never advertised as what you wanted it to be.

What expectations do you think I had that were out of line, out of curiosity? I conceded that it was a beta, and I didn't expect to keep my weapons into the primary game- just keep them to toy around with in the beta. Seriously, what's the justification for taking them away when you can already carry them into missions and test them out, but they get deleted when you finish? It's just... inconvenient. You can even go back and earn them again, why not make them persistent for the beta?

Beyond that, I don't think any of my criticisms are irrelevant, but valid and thought out. What do you think I thought this was advertised as? I'm judging the product sent before me based on its merits, making no suppositions on the final product (outright mentioning they have lots of time to improve), and pointing out a lot of positive change. You seem strangely defensive about that, and I take exception to you needing to link my criticism to some sort of naivete or missing of the point.

LordKasual

Banned

Here's praying that the longer hairstyles are as glorious as this.

Final fantasy XV's graphics are nowhere near CGI level...

As far as image quality goes, there isn't enough GPU to spare.

Everything else? You trippin, this game rivals and flat-out beats AC in some areas, particularly in skin texture, surfaces, lighting.

Hell, there are cutscenes in the game recorded from realtime engine visuals. They look more realistically detailed than Advent Children does.

Even in that screenshot up there. Noctis' hair is almost more believable in-game than Cloud's is pre-rendered.

Keinning

What expectations do you think I had that were out of line, out of curiosity? I conceded that it was a beta, and I didn't expect to keep my weapons into the primary game- just keep them to toy around with in the beta. Seriously, what's the justification for taking them away when you can already carry them into missions and test them out, but they get deleted when you finish? It's just... inconvenient. You can even go back and earn them again, why not make them persistent for the beta?

Beyond that, I don't think any of my criticisms are irrelevant, but valid and thought out. What do you think I thought this was advertised as? I'm judging the product sent before me based on its merits, making no suppositions on the final product (outright mentioning they have lots of time to improve), and pointing out a lot of positive change. You seem strangely defensive about that, and I take exception to you needing to link my criticism to some sort of naivete or missing of the point.

You don't get to use any of the second mission weapon rewards. For all that its worth they might not even be implemented in the game yet. You can test all the other first mission weapons anyway, why don't you keep them? Who knows, but it was never the point. This is a beta made to test the servers, not the weapons - if you thought they wanted you to fool around forever and gain levels then yes, you had false expectations, the decision of booting you out after two missions proves that, they want to test the servers, not the game, and thus you are required to start over/log to another party. It's even called "closed online test" as someone else pointed out. I'm not being defensive about anything, i'm being realistic - perhaps the word "irrelevant" was misused and i apologize for that, english is not my first language

The product was also not "sent" to you in any sense - you downloaded it. This is a closed beta, with optional participation. Saying "but I'm not as worried about the technical side of things as I am about the quests providing meaningful and interesting gameplay" does sound like you're judging the multiplayer mode for three small quests avaliable for the beta alright. You might even be right about that and all the 3000 quests in the finished product end up being variations of the three quests we had in the beta, but it's way too early to judge. Mode doesn't even have a release date yet.

Slaythe

The IQ of FFXV is pure vomit, but that's because of the hardware. The engine itself is super impressive.

This thing on 4K and all options maxed out is going to certainly be reaaaaally close to those CG examples.

Haven't seen any screens/gifs of a black character yet. Has anyone made one?

Options are very limited, nothing really fits black characters currently.

I'll try to make some for you.

You don't get to use any of the second mission weapon rewards. For all that its worth they might not even be implemented in the game yet. You can test all the other first mission weapons anyway, why don't you keep them? Who knows, but it was never the point. This is a beta made to test the servers, not the weapons - if you thought they wanted you to fool around forever and gain levels then yes, you had false expectations, the decision of booting you out after two missions proves that, they want to test the servers, not the game, and thus you are required to start over/log to another party. It's even called "closed online test" as someone else pointed out. I'm not being defensive about anything, i'm being realistic - perhaps the word "irrelevant" was misused and i apologize for that, english is not my first language

The product was also not "sent" to you in any sense - you downloaded it. This is a closed beta, with optional participation. Saying "but I'm not as worried about the technical side of things as I am about the quests providing meaningful and interesting gameplay" does sound like you're judging the multiplayer mode for three small quests avaliable for the beta alright. You might even be right about that and all the 3000 quests in the finished product end up being variations of the three quests we had in the beta, but it's way too early to judge. Mode doesn't even have a release date yet.

I didn't expect them to let me fool around and gain levels, losing your weapons wasn't even the center of my criticism here. It's just an annoyance in an unfortunately extensive list of strange decisions for this test, the most relevant of which is probably having no option to even quit.

Also, this argument about whether it was "sent" to me or not is extremely pedantic, they put this test out there with an open invitation to everyone with the season pass. It's not like they didn't want me or anyone else to actually accept. On that note, if they didn't want any sort of feedback or impressions, they really shouldn't have put this out there. There are ways to stress test a server without doing something like this, I think it goes without saying that it's also supposed to serve as our first sample of what they want Comrades to be like and that we can draw plenty of good impressions about the mode even without a complete picture.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but you seem to be implying that this is all about servers and if that's the sole criteria by which we judge this beta it's a much worse picture than looking at the beta as a whole. As I said, though, I think this is meant to give an impression of Comrades would expect this to be a pretty decent cross-section of what Comrades is shooting for in the same way Duscae ended up being a pretty decent representation of FFXV itself. I don't think discussing the actual content beyond the servers is all that crazy, but respect your assertion that it may be too early to tell. It is entirely possible that it is too early to tell, but most XV demos have been pretty representative and until we see more this is the best we have to go on. So, my thoughts will probably stem primarily from it. Try not to see too much negative in them, I actually think Comrades has a lot of potential.

LordKasual

Banned
What expectations do you think I had that were out of line, out of curiosity?

I thought it was a fair criticism. The options for controlling the network experience were quite dismal, actually. Before you learn whats happening you can easily waste an hour or two with the game having you desync from the servers and be stuck in limbo forever.

As for the "horde" aspect of the current missions, i'm not too worried about them. With no Elixirs or Phoenix Downs to use, the game may become alot more interesting when early survival becomes paramount for surviving the mission, since your Max HP decreases as you continuously take damage, and it's clearly intended for some players to prioritize healing over attacking.

On the other hand, yeah some of the same issues from XV still persist. Mainly the problem of you being able to easily escape any encounter with the point-warp feature, or simply by running away. The only time in the game that none of this is an option is during Costlemark Menace, where the room you're fighting in locks until the encounter is over and there are no places to Point Warp to. Now, there are some enemies in the game (Hecteyes, Iron Giant, Midgardsormr to some extent, flying enemies with projectiles) who provide long-rage or AoE hazards to contend with during battle. The game needs more of those.

The biggest issue though is that combat in the Open World is FAR too easy to disengage from. Even the dungeons in FFXV have this issue. The only dungeons that actually FORCE you to fight encounters are the Menace dungeons. Most action games don't give you tons of space when they want to challenge you, they lock you in close so you're forced to fight with the enemy.

This is especially needed in FFXV, since the game gives you the ability to escape during Danger. And super especially in Comrades, since the game allows you to use the Defend ability even when you're dying.

Iron Giant is a really well-designed enemy in this game IMO. He has short range attacks, long range attacks, self-buffs, and a global pull-in. They should tweak enemy AI to be more like them.

HeeHo

They made a lot of decent improvements to the combat, such as the addition of curative magic and offensive magic tied to MP rather than to grenades, but this is sort of undermined by what the game devolved into when I actually did manage to group with players for a mission. Essentially, you just mob a bunch of damage-sponge enemies until an enemy with a great deal of health appears. There aren't really a lot of interesting tactical options here, it's basically just swarm, hit, and run and then repeat. The new weapons have excellent style in a lot of cases, but Comrades suffers from a lot of the combat shortcomings XV itself has that prevent melee combat from feeling as good as the painstaking animations. While magic was a big improvement, its effects surprisingly felt pretty limp.\

I am feeling similarly and even posted about it a page before this. It felt like I was taking crazy pills or something because I was practically the only person in this thread that mentioned that it wasn't that fun to actually play.

The character creator seems like it'll be fun and I personally can't wait to get new gear and level up, but I had the exact same problem as you mentioned in the bold. It feels like a sloppy mess as is.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I wouldn't use the word "Nowhere"
Looking at that last Gif SunhiLegend just posted - I'd day is getting really close.
It's really not. Still huge gaps in terms of what a CGI film is doing and what not just FFXV but any game is doing.

DFkI7VAUQAAp8J2.jpg:large

Nowhere is a stretch. At worst it's really close. :p
Not really no. There's a jarring difference between the CGI of the game and the in-game visuals. The older builds looked much closer to CGI. Or better yet, Kingslaive.
Here's praying that the longer hairstyles are as glorious as this.

As far as image quality goes, there isn't enough GPU to spare.

Everything else? You trippin, this game rivals and flat-out beats AC in some areas, particularly in skin texture, surfaces, lighting.

Hell, there are cutscenes in the game recorded from realtime engine visuals. They look more realistically detailed than Advent Children does.

Even in that screenshot up there. Noctis' hair is almost more believable in-game than Cloud's is pre-rendered.
In terms of pretty much everything. Advent Children looks much better.

And then there's KG:

come on brehs. It's a pretty looking game with really good art direction. But it's not CGI level.

2014 FFXV emulated the look of CGI a lot better.

Top Bottom