• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Multiplayer Expansion - First Look + Closed Beta August 3rd

Do you think we will be able to play as female characters in multiplayer?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Slaythe

Haven't seen any screens/gifs of a black character yet. Has anyone made one?

I tried.

PRRpFCp.jpg

6SvQNM3.jpg

ViciousDS

Banned
i just hope the update doesmt kick us back o title after the final mission and lets us keep the gear there to play with

First of all, the animations in these gifs on this page and the last are pretty amazing. Second, who knew that great hair physics would really add that much realism to the animations. Honestly, by someone who wasn't that impressed by FFXV, these beta animations are pretty amazing.

edgefusion

Simon Cowell would be proud of the high-waisted in pants on offer. I hope in the final build they have some more regular style pants to wear...like a belt that isn't practically around my guys nipples.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
First of all, the animations in these gifs on this page and the last are pretty amazing. Second, who knew that great hair physics would really add that much realism to the animations. Honestly, by someone who wasn't that impressed by FFXV, these beta animations are pretty amazing.
A lot of these are taken from the main game. Gotta say it's one of the awkward looking reskin jobs for MP that i've seen. So many games speed them up making them look unnatural but this one just seems to work just as well as it does in the game.

Man Eden it's like you can't be wrong or just can't concede can you? Hehe.
Did I not back up my claim?

Where did you even find those last three screenshots. I know for a fact one or two of those shots are press released shot from an in development build in early 2016. (Iris and Noctis ones)

If we would like to use current in-game screenshots...
I searched "final fantasy xv screenshots neogaf." But yea those screens you posted still prove the point. This is not simply a game that looks like close to CGI.
Older Noctis will forever be the most interesting looking design for a protagonist in this series.

A lot of these are taken from the main game. Gotta say it's one of the awkward looking reskin jobs for MP that i've seen. So many games speed them up making them look unnatural but this one just seems to work just as well as it does in the game.

Come on man.

First off, most of the animations are unique and new. Second, the dev team outright said they made new animations for the new avatars and that they are different from Noctis.

I searched "final fantasy xv screenshots neogaf." But yea those screens you posted still prove the point. This is not simply a game that looks like close to CGI.
Older Noctis will forever be the most interesting looking design for a protagonist in this series.

It does look close to CGI. ACC barely inches in out in some cases. Lighting and skin textures not being one of them.

Edit:
For example, the animation string that Benzy posted above is unique to Comrades. Noctis cannot do that string of animations.

benzy

Did I not back up my claim?

I mean, the XV press shots in your examples are from pretty old builds. The final game with that last stretch of optimization looks a lot better than any media SE had put out for the game. The Duscae area alone is pretty significantly improved.

dfrxht.png

xrbsft.png

abpchy.png

rinpig.png

But in terms of this CG talk comparisons, I have yet to see any game that really rivals it especially when looking at the complete scenery.

Lol.

Imagine how much funnier this will be when Kenny Crows and Chocobos are fighting all over the place. Lmao.

Geez Eden I thought it was kinda cool. You really need to relax sometimes.

He's fine. He's (she's? apologies if I am off.) making a well-reasoned argument. Probably better than I am. I just believe that the in-game graphics of XV have surpassed previous SE works of CGI in quite a few areas. Hell, I think KH3 in-game graphics look better than CGI of the most recent KH entries too.

cBRi4bf.jpg

Got this email a bit ago. I wonder what the "expanded field of play" means? They mentioned that a city hub will be available, but hopefully a part of the world as well. Also characters including Noctis and pals. Better make Aranea and Iris playable and patch them in to the main game as well
c6fD30Y.png

theofficefan99

These .gifs look great, the actual beta when you're playing, doesn't look all that great in my opinion.

I would say XV doesn't look too great most of the time either outside of pre-rendered scenes.

XV is a good looking game but the visuals are nothing special IMO... Absolutely doesn't rival CGI. Especially recent CGI. The opening for XV is like 100x better looking than the in-game visuals.

cBRi4bf.jpg

Got this email a bit ago. I wonder what the "expanded field of play" means? They mentioned that a city hub will be available, but hopefully a part of the world as well. Also characters including Noctis and pals. Better make Aranea and Iris playable and patch them in to the main game as well
c6fD30Y.png

Nitpicking here, but it should say "bring the Light back to Eos."

I mean technically Lucis is in Eos, but...yeah.

LordKasual

Banned
It's really not. Still huge gaps in terms of what a CGI film is doing and what not just FFXV but any game is doing.

Not really no. There's a jarring difference between the CGI of the game and the in-game visuals. The older builds looked much closer to CGI. Or better yet, Kingslaive.

In terms of pretty much everything. Advent Children looks much better.

And then there's KG:

come on brehs. It's a pretty looking game with really good art direction. But it's not CGI level.

2014 FFXV emulated the look of CGI a lot better.

Advent Children is mostly just a matter of image quality. No jaggies, smooth geometry, ect. Take a close look at cloud outside of his higher polygon count, and you'll see that he's not really as impressive in 2017 as he was back then.

The materials / skin is the most obvious difference. Look at Marlene, look at Cloud. Now, look at Noctis. Not only are his features more detailed, the lighting is obviously more sophisticated than whatever they were using during Advent Children.

FFXV actually makes use of subsurface scattering, giving his face a much more lively color than the washed out tones that Advent Children keeps. The shaders simulate the light bouncing under the skin, and it glows accordingly in direct light.

Advent Children didn't make use of such a technique. The skin looks overly smooth and somewhat flat, as if they're made out of textured plastic. The environmental lighting at no point seems as natural as a typical outdoor area in FFXV, and certainly not any of the indoor ones.

At worse? The hair quality is comparable between the two. Obviously FFXV can't brute force it, and the dithering shits all over its quality. But its technique holds up extremely well despite being real-time and dynamic. In the absence of jaggies, I honestly say it looks better than AC's huge hair strands.

As much as I fucking love Tifa's face, i'm going to say that this one kind of shows its age too.
This is a pre-rendered cutscene in FFXV, but it's clearly using the in-game engine, so any modern gaming PC could easily pull this fidelity off.

Again, her skin is EASILY more believable than Tifa's, as is the environmental lighting, which looks extremely flat by comparison no matter which scene you're looking at in Advent Children compared to FFXV.

When advent children isn't giving you closeups of the character's faces, it's shortcomings are much easier to see.

Now, FFXV in-game's image quality doesn't really allow it to ever reach the sharpness of Advent Children. But the graphical techniques in FFXV's engine are clearly generations ahead of the simplistic visuals Advent Children could produce. The lighting alone is a MASSIVE difference.

2b09834b7d83f3fb83a30faaf5faeeb5.gif

Now, i'm showing you mostly pre-rendered footage of FFXV's ingame engine. But considering how a PS4 can run the vast majority of FFXV at a steady framerate in real-time....a PC version of this game on only slightly higher settings (or just with a consistent AA method and slightly less aggressive shadow culling) would blow Advent Children out CLEAR out of the water.

I'm not even going to bother making Kingsglaive comparisons. Of course FFXV can't match such a level of CG. It's pre-rendering its footage using the exact same techniques that make FFXV look the way it does.

Nitpicking here, but it should say "bring the Light back to Eos."

I mean technically Lucis is in Eos, but...yeah.

Spoilers for the main game:

Accordo most likely got pretty decimaded by Leviathan (can't wait to see the aftermath in Episode Ignis) and Niflheim is a daemon infested wasteland of deserts and arctic terrain. So Lucis is the only place worth salvaging at that point :D

Spoilers for the main game:

Accordo most likely got pretty decimaded by Leviathan (can't wait to see the aftermath in Episode Ignis) and Niflheim is a daemon infested wasteland of deserts and arctic terrain. So Lucis is the only place worth salvaging at that point :D

I mean...yeah, sure...but the end goal is
to bring back the Light to the entire world and not just Lucis.
Right? :p

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Come on man.

First off, most of the animations are unique and new. Second, the dev team outright said they made new animations for the new avatars and that they are different from Noctis.
I actually wasn't aware of this. That's cool but it still looks like a very large amount of them are taken directly from Noctis right down to the walk and run cycle. I'm not saying that's a bad thing or anything as I wouldn't expect them to remake everything from scratch for an MP expansion.

It does look close to CGI. ACC barely inches in out in some cases. Lighting and skin textures not being one of them.
In terms of lighting Advent Children is straight up outclassing games in general. Are you serious?? This game doesn't look like CGI.

I mean, the XV press shots in your examples are from pretty old builds. The final game with that last stretch of optimization looks a lot better than any media SE had put out for the game. The Duscae area alone is pretty significantly improved.

But in terms of this CG talk comparisons, I have yet to see any game that really rivals it especially when looking at the complete scenery.
To name examples of games that do a much better job at emulating the look, The Order, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, Witcher 3 on PC, ACU sans the LOD glitch, Battlefront and BF1, and ME:A on PC.

Advent Children is mostly just a matter of image quality. No jaggies, smooth geometry, ect. Take a close look at cloud outside of his higher polygon count, and you'll see that he's not really as impressive in 2017 as he was back then.
I would contend that it was an ugly film compared to some others at the time and hasn't aged well at all but still. Video games aren't there yet. Let alone a game that isn't exactly an exemplary example of skin shading.
And seriously don't get me started on the way eyes look...

The skin is the most obvious difference. Look at Marlene, look at Cloud. Now, look at Noctis. Not only are his features more detailed, the lighting is obviously more sophisticated than whatever they were using during Advent Children.
It's more that they have a better workflow for real-time visuals compared to back then when they were testing the waters of what's feasible with CGI outside of small video game cutscenes. Still the CGI result is better looking. See the comparison above.

FFXV actually makes use of subsurface scattering, giving his face a much more lively color than the washed out tones that Advent Children keeps.

At worse? The hair quality is comparable between the two. Obviously FFXV can't brute force it, but its technique holds up extremely well despite being real-time and dynamic.
Not just the hair but also pretty much everything else. The textures on the outfits. Yes, skin. ABSOLUTELY lighting and PP as FFXV doesn't even have realtime GI...

As much as I fucking love Tifa's face, i'm going to say that this one kind of shows its age too.

This is a pre-rendered cutscene in FFXV, but it's clearly using the in-game engine, so any modern gaming PC could easily pull this fidelity off.

Again, her skin is EASILY more believable than Tifa's, as is the environmental lighting, which looks extremely flat by comparison no matter which scene you're looking at in Advent Children compared to FFXV.
Come on dude you know the game doesn't look like that. I even said above that the year that scene was shown was when the game had CGI like visuals.

When advent children isn't giving you closeups of the character's faces, it's shortcomings are much easier to see.
I'm 100% sure the lack of finite skin detail is a stylistic choice instead of a technical one. As the only time they deviated from that was with this game specifically. As they did, (and still do), the same for KH CGI every Final Fantasy. You look at Lightning and any character from FFXII and they still have very little realistic detail.

this is 2006 CGI:

Now, FFXV in-game's image quality doesn't really allow it to ever reach the sharpness of Advent Children. But the graphical techniques in FFXV's engine are clearly generations ahead of the simplistic visuals Advent Children could produce. The lighting alone is a MASSIVE difference.

2b09834b7d83f3fb83a30faaf5faeeb5.gif

Now, i'm showing you mostly pre-rendered footage of FFXV's ingame engine. But considering how a PS4 can run the vast majority of FFXV at a steady framerate in real-time....a PC version of this game on only slightly higher settings (or just with a consistent AA method and slightly less aggressive shadow culling) would blow Advent Children out CLEAR out of the water.
Any modern engine can produce CGI level visuals in incredibly limited scenarios. And that trailer was real time. And although it looked REALLY good. It still quite clearly was a video game. Now if FFXV still looked like that, we'd be having a different discussion.

I'm not even going to bother making Kingsglaive comparisons. Of course FFXV can't match such a level of CG. It's pre-rendering its footage using the exact same techniques that make FFXV look the way it does.
It's not even matching ten year old CGI....Davy Jones was shown a year after Advent Children. I should note, I'm definitely not saying the game is bad looking. Just that it doesn't look like CGI. A lot of what you guys are talking about is more down to preferring the art direction.

R3birthFl4me

Neo Member
Don't know if someone mentioned this but you can exit to the main menu when the missions start by holding the options button on the dualshock.

Sorry to butt in but I really like how the girl looks.

Man Eden it's like you can't be wrong or just can't concede can you? Hehe.

The game doesn't look anywhere near CGI. If you think it does then you may need to take a trip to your optometrist.

I'm surprised they bothered at all in replying to that post with seriousness.

The hunter catches the prey with much resistance.
When in doubt warp strike dagger combo is Op with its fire cast finisher
I probably should try that just to be safe.
The game doesn't look anywhere near CGI. If you think it does then you may need to take a trip to your optometrist.

I'm surprised they bothered at all in replying to that post with seriousness.
Oh hi Laharl. You want to discuss something with me or do you want to read the post afterwards saying that I liked how Eden found his sources when I would have just sent the web link?

Or the other posts?

Is there something you want to tell me that's hidden there?

The hunter catches the prey with much resistance.

I probably should try that just to be safe.

Oh hi Laharl. You want to discuss something with me or do you want to read the post afterwards saying that I liked how Eden found his sources when I would have just sent the web link?

Or the other posts?

Is there something you want to tell me that's hidden there?

Nah I'm just happy to know you're not going blind :)

Top Bottom