• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV: Episode Prompto |OT|

Vashetti

Banned
Twice I've had the game freeze for about 6-10 seconds and then suddenly continue on as though everything was fine.
The first time was the moment I was hit by a missile from a mech armor, and the other was the moment I started getting off the snowmobile to fight some of those wolf things.

Then, just now, I got knocked into danger status, the game randomly gave me a tutorial pop-up on how to use items, as though I hadn't already done that multiple times in this very DLC, and the no matter how many times I re-opened the menu or waited just a little longer, Prompto was never a "valid" target for any items, so it forced a Game Over.

Yup, optimisation was very lacking in this DLC.

When Aranea joins your party about midway through, after the cutscene, she and the snowmobile sort of spawned a few feet above the ground and landed.

After finishing Episode Gladiolus I found myself not too happy with it. Combat lost all of the interesting aspects - warping and magic and replaced it with boring greatsword combat. Story lacked any punch and the interactions with Cor weren't very interesting.

Episode Prompto however was fantastic. Took me about 2 hours and included a refreshing new environment with really good character interactions and story. I also really liked the gun combat in this and started getting into it when I tried out the 1 on 1 fight with Aranea. I hope they keep to this standard with any DLC offerings in the future like Episode Ignis because this was fun and worth my time.

Also Ardyn's killin' it as usual.

Yup. I just love that
everything is going to plan and he hums the Victory Theme at the end. Just such a perfect asshole.

Socivol

What are the changes of having all characters playable in the main game next year?

After playing the game i see why they cut that from the final game. Noctis can do everything the other guys can do plus can warp. Playing Episode Gladio was so weird because I wanted to warp strike and I couldn't.

Socivol

Yup. I just love that
everything is going to plan and he hums the Victory Theme at the end. Just such a perfect asshole.

This DLC made him even better. He is just such an asshole and what makes it great is he is so confident about it. It's the first game in the series where everything goes just as planned for the villain and I really like that different take on the antagonist.

This DLC made him even better. He is just such an asshole and what makes it great is he is so confident about it. It's the first game in the series where everything goes just as planned for the villain and I really like that different take on the antagonist.

Agreed. So good at being a villain. Can't help but like him.

"Oh Ardyn you motherFUCKER, I love you."

Ultimately he won.

Bad ass dude.

If that happened and all playable from start to finish would push FFXV international version to my most wanted game ever.

Honestly, it's the positive buzz around this DLC that's having me hold out for a complete package a la an International Version, if they decide to make one.

Ricker

If it wasnt for the sidequests in the snow area,this DLC is actually about the same lenght as Gladio...with a better story though and Areana thrown in,she is awesome.Overall I liked it a lot,might mess around to upgrade the snowmobile and try the Behemoth now that I finished the main story.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Just finished - waaaaay better than Gladio's. The environment, music, story, gameplay, literally everything was better. The new outfits for Prompto and Aranea are better than anything from the main game. I also like how it references Kingsglaive and Brotherhood, making them not feel like weirdly disconnected tie-ins. I missed quite a few documents though. Are they hidden in tents or something? The open world seemed small, but very easy to miss things in. I never found the ski mask or the goggles, either.

The final boss was so cool. Sure, it was an on-rails set piece, but fighting a giant mechanical daemon worm in the snow was freaking awesome.

Did anyone do the sidequest where
you go all the way back up to the top of the base and snowmobile down the slope again?
The title was Crazy Motorsleigh. Nod to the title of the chase music in FFVII's bike chase, Crazy Motorcycle -
which may have inspired that segment based on how similar they are.

I truly wonder what they have planned for episode ignis 6 months is a long time
I dunno, but the teaser looked cool as hell.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I found that episode just ok. Story wise better than Gladiolus, but I liked the gamplay better in that one. I just mainline the story in 2:01, I'm not into the game enough to bother with more side quests. Gave the snowmobile races one go each, see no reason to work on 3 starring those either.

I also played through Episode 13 Verse 2 that I'd not noticed came out before (with?) the last episode. That was ok and reaffirmed that I liked that combat better than the shooting in this.

Turin

Banned
Aranea and Prompto are an endearing team.

Probably one of the top 3 or 4 most enjoyable characters in XV along with Ardyn.

0pEJB8p.gif

theofficefan99

After playing the game i see why they cut that from the final game. Noctis can do everything the other guys can do plus can warp. Playing Episode Gladio was so weird because I wanted to warp strike and I couldn't.

This is why I was always really annoyed when people kept bitching about it pre-release. Like, hello guys, there's a reason why Noctis is the only playable character. Noctis can do everything they can and more. Let them focus on more important things. But no. Fans wanted the guys to be playable, and airships!!!!1111!!!!111!!!1!!

Lakuza

finished it last night. I felt the battle system was better in episode Gladiolus but the story was way better in Prompto's. I haven't played ff15 since episode Gladio and since I've been playing paragon a lot lately it took me a while to re learn the controls, my muscle memory is tuned to press R2 for attack so I kept opening the item menu lol.

The gun placements in a lot of the side quest battles are bizzare. Like having no hut to collect a secondary weapon in the Magitech armor side quest, so enemies felt really spongey since the pistol was scratch damage. Not having trigger happy on 1st playthrough didn't help the situation either. Upgrading the snowmobile felt pointless too.

I do agree that this felt like it should have been in the main game (I still wish they had worked the dlc into the main game rather than using the main menu).

Intensive training boss battle was definitely easier than Cor's boss battle. I completed this one on my 2nd try in 4mins after I realised that secondary weapons are useless and that I could prevent her from entering her second phase by melee attacking her (she kept staggering after the 3rd or 4th hit when she was waiting to upgrade/fix her lance). Just like the cor boss mode, this one was a great way to highlight prompto's battle system. Just a shame there was nothing like that in the main campaign of the dlc.

Aranea is awesome as always too. :D

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I truly wonder what they have planned for episode ignis 6 months is a long time

Hopefully a bigger world than Episode Prompto + side quests, and... More story
that will hopefully flesh out Luna and Ravus
?

The gun placements in a lot of the side quest battles are bizzare. Like having no hut to collect a secondary weapon in the Magitech armor side quest, so enemies felt really spongey since the pistol was scratch damage. Not having trigger happy on 1st playthrough didn't help the situation either. Upgrading the snowmobile felt pointless too.

There is a hut. It's towards the camp fire cave.

for me, the closest hut was outside the battle radius, so going there would reset the Magitech's hp.

There's one where you can reach the Sniper Rifle without resetting anything. I played that battle as running around shooting, then using Aranea's technique, then crackshotting a few times followed by sniper rifling the disk thing (it's weak point), then running back to the hut to grab another one and repeat.

Koozek

Ah, finally managed to get 3 stars at the last race after probably 30 tries :D Often it's less risky to avoid jumping over some of the mounds to avoid losing control of the vehicle on landing.

edgefusion

I'm watching Aranea jump around and flip about the place doing all this cool stuff while I'm stuck playing as this feeble-ass Prompto pinging off his peashooter guns while he gets the shit kicked into him two ways from Sunday. They set an incredibly low bar with the piss-poor Episode Gladiolus and they are really striving to reach it with Episode Prompto. At least they attempt to tell a story in this one but the gameplay is just as unsatisfying as Gladio. I'm hoping Episode Ignis will be of decent quality but after these two disasters I don't hold out any hope.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm watching Aranea jump around and flip about the place doing all this cool stuff while I'm stuck playing as this feeble-ass Prompto pinging off his peashooter guns while he gets the shit kicked into him two ways from Sunday. They set an incredibly low bar with the piss-poor Episode Gladiolus and they are really striving to reach it with Episode Prompto. At least they attempt to tell a story in this one but the gameplay is just as unsatisfying as Gladio. I'm hoping Episode Ignis will be of decent quality but after these two disasters I don't hold out any hope.

Pretty much my take.

At least this has finally taught me to stop buying season passes until all the content is out and I can assess whether it's worth it and whether I truly care to play more of the game at that point.

Ferr986

It's certainly feels like Im getting carried by Aranea in the open world part lol

But still, Prompto gameplay is kinda fun, albeit a little clunky. Having fun with it, I'm doing all the side quest I can before finishing it.

Didn't saw yet this Aranea animation. I saw the Prompto half dancing one though lol

Thought the gameplay was pretty boring, but the story stuff was really good.

The ending with
Ardyn doing the victory fanfare
was worth the $5 alone.

Ferr986

Just finished it. Not sure if it was a good idea having Aranea in the section after the open world, she trivialized everything lol Also, the final boss was disapointing, both mechanic and design wise.

But overall enjoyed it, took me 2:50h (did some sidequests but not all of them) so for 5€ it's a steal.

Ultimadrago

Ran into The Snow Walking-Dead side quest. All of the enemy soldiers are stuck in idle mode. I kill them. Another wave of soldiers follow suit. I kill them. This happens for six waves or so (except the Swordsman, who actually had their AI active).

The shooting doesn't feel good, dodging doesn't feel good, the snowmobile physics are all over the place and it feels like crap to drive. And all to top off the dreadfully dull corridor run that starts it all off.

Glad to see they're keeping the DLC quality consistently shite (beginning with the Gladios package). I'm still in the middle of this one, but things aren't looking good.

Edit: I've completed it. See above comment. Though Aranea is still pretty cool.

Meowster

Okay.. now that I have beaten the thing after doing Gladio's earlier.. huge improvement from Episode Gladiolus but that just comes naturally. Cor is alright but he's nowhere near as interesting as Aranea and I just didn't like Gladio's new gameplay. On the other hand, Prompto was a lot of fun and fighting side by side with Aranea against Behemoth's in the snow is incredible. It added a lot to the empty gaps of the story and really succeeded in making Prompto the most developed character not named Noctis. Lots of interesting lore too and that final boss was on-the-rails fun.

Also secured Ardyn as one of the greatest villains in Final Fantasy history.

After playing it twice, the best thing about this DLC is that Promto's character arc got time and a production compared to the crap he got in the main game.

This makes him the best of the four and of all the Final Fantasy XV UNIVERSE!

The gameplay is manageable but still suffers from the same issues as the main game. That last boss is garbage.
Verstael wanted to surpass the Gods by putting his essence in a robo-Sandworm that can be taken down by a turret gun despite making things like a Diamond Weapon?

And was there any reason a Lucian
took Promto specifically from the labs?

Ardyn is still ok, but I don't see much reason for his motivations here.What other reason
is there to kidnap Promto than to mess with Noct, since he was heading to the Empire place anyway?

Aranea is still great and like Promto got some decent cutscene direction and a better outfit than in the main game, but she mentioned
how much everyone is worried about Promto. Specifically having to calm Noctis down. Things that we never saw in the main game. What we did see was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y6Gq4VzazE&feature=youtu.be&t=6m49s
She could be trying to make Promto feel better or there's some disconnect here.

So anyway, it's better than the previous DLC and hopefully the next one is even better.

A Promto out if 10

Koozek

help with getting a 3 star rank on the second trial
Disclaimer : I don't feel like upgrading the snowmobile either :(
The upgrades don't carry over to the time trial mode. Try not always jumping over every small mound because it's easy to lose control while landing from even small jumps. And if you jump try not to move or accelerate while in the air until you landed. At least I feel like that helped^^

Top Bottom