• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV: Episode Prompto |OT|

KgJ2DIU.gif

Sidon

Used the XBox sale to pick up that FFXV edition with season pass, can't wait to jump in tonight. After Zelda, I promise. :)

jugann

Neo Member
Just got around to finishing it. The music was stellar (as it always is :D), but the episode in general was a tad bit underwhelming sadly. Though Aranea was AWESOME!

how to spawn the monster for "An Emperor Deposed" trophy? Do I need to the side missions and complete it right before the 15:00 mark or can I just wait it out?

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
how to spawn the monster for "An Emperor Deposed" trophy? Do I need to the side missions and complete it right before the 15:00 mark or can I just wait it out?

Wait it out. The level 99 Magitek Armor quest spawns at around 13:00. You're unlikely to defeat it before the Behemoth despawns sometime before 18:00. Just wait anywhere other than in the "Conservation Order No. 128" quest area, and at around 15:00, that quest will despawn and Emperor of Angoris will appear.

Here's the quest schedule I made. Quests won't despawn if you are in them, and only 1 quest will spawn at a time. If you finish a quest while another quest's window is still up it'll immediately appear.

Ghost in the Snow - Goblins and Bombs - 5 CPU - Night (2)
Law of the Wild - Treant, Bandersnatch, and Couerl. - 3 CPU - Morning (5)
My Little Garulet - Rescue Baby Garula - 5 CPU - Morning (7)
The Snow-walking Dead - Magitek soldiers at the top of the hill - 3 CPU - Day (9)
Crazy Motorsleigh - Race down the hill - 3 CPU - Day (11)
Conservation Order No. 128 - Level 99 Magitek Armor and some soldiers. - 10 CPU - Day (13)
Emperor of Angoris - Kaiser Behemoth - 10 CPU - Day (15)
Buried in the Snow - Collect CPUs at the top of the hill. - 5 CPU + 7 collected - Dusk (18)
Blinded by White - Goblins, Bombs, and Deathclaw. - 5 CPU - Night (22)

Wait it out. The level 99 Magitek Armor quest spawns at around 13:00. You're unlikely to defeat it before the Behemoth despawns sometime before 18:00. Just wait anywhere other than in the "Conservation Order No. 128" quest area, and at around 15:00, that quest will despawn and Emperor of Angoris will appear.

Here's the quest schedule I made. Quests won't despawn if you are in them, and only 1 quest will spawn at a time. If you finish a quest while another quest's window is still up it'll immediately appear.

Ghost in the Snow - Goblins and Bombs - 5 CPU - Night (2)
Law of the Wild - Treant, Bandersnatch, and Couerl. - 3 CPU - Morning (5)
My Little Garulet - Rescue Baby Garula - 5 CPU - Morning (7)
The Snow-walking Dead - Magitek soldiers at the top of the hill - 3 CPU - Day (9)
Crazy Motorsleigh - Race down the hill - 3 CPU - Day (11)
Conservation Order No. 128 - Level 99 Magitek Armor and some soldiers. - 10 CPU - Day (13)
Emperor of Angoris - Kaiser Behemoth - 10 CPU - Day (15)
Buried in the Snow - Collect CPUs at the top of the hill. - 5 CPU + 7 collected - Dusk (18)
Blinded by White - Goblins, Bombs, and Deathclaw. - 5 CPU - Night (22)

Gonna be super helpful for my 100% run next week. Thanks!

Geg

Finally got around to playing this and damn, that was a hell of a lot more involved than Episode Gladiolus. Took me about twice as long to finish too. It took me a while to get used to the combat as Prompto but I thought the penultimate boss fight was really good.

I seem to be missing a bunch of documents after Researcher's Writings V though. Are those hidden somewhere?

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Finally got around to playing this and damn, that was a hell of a lot more involved than Episode Gladiolus. Took me about twice as long to finish too. It took me a while to get used to the combat as Prompto but I thought the penultimate boss fight was really good.

I seem to be missing a bunch of documents after Researcher's Writings V though. Are those hidden somewhere?

They're in a cabin on the north end of the map. Go north, into the woods, instead of into the area with the vending machine that leads into the last indoor area. The Goggles + mask outfit is also in there.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Finished this the other day, definitely more interesting than Gladio episode but once more a "game" filled up with clunky horrible gameplay, a mark of every Tabata's game with probably the exception of CC. Plus I don't get why they had to create new ways of playing instead of improving the base battle system. Instead we go from one clunky thing to the next clunky thing. We're not talking of some budget game here, still it feels like so (and I mean the whole FFXV, eps included). Bah.

That said at least the new locations and story bits here were nice.

Makeda

I'm currently working my way through this at the moment. Whilst the new environment is nice, music is fantastic as expected... but yet despite that I can't help shake the feeling that this DLC would have been better served (for both it and FFXV's near end game chapters) sitting in the maingame.

Damn modern game design & dlc plans -_-

Reset

Just beat the DLC, and I enjoyed my time with it. It's way better than Gladio's DLC, and I didn't have problem with Prompto's gameplay either. Actually preferred playing as him over Gladio.

Just beat this on the base PS4.

What a mess.

First of all this runs like complete shit, worse than normal FF15. The frame rate is all over the place and you spend the majority of the time in dull grey corridors. They replaced the okay combat with awful, clunky over the shoulder gun play. The story beats were nice to flesh out the empire's motivations, but apart form that I could not care less for Prompto and his annoying bullshit.

I liked how much more of an episode this was compared to Gladio, but everything here is half baked and buggy. At least in episode Gladio it offered a bit of a challenge for the final boss. The final boss here was "hold R1 to win".

R1/10

Ugh. The Time Trials were kicking my butt this last night. I was able to get three stars on the first one but the last two are super difficult.

This is the only trophy preventing my 100% completion. I need to get them all...

Slater

Banned
Okay do we know who was in charge of the cutscene direction for this? Cause it's way better then both the base game and Gladio's dlc.

Is it the new sub-director who came on I should thank?

Koozek

Ugh. The Time Trials were kicking my butt this last night. I was able to get three stars on the first one but the last two are super difficult.

This is the only trophy preventing my 100% completion. I need to get them all...
I was struggling with the third one mostly. Sometimes it's better to avoid smaller mounds and just drive around them. Also while you're jumping don't steer until you landed, that way you don't lose control so much when you're back on ground. The driving physics are hilariously bad, lol. This is just something you have to try over and over again, and hope you get as many of the turbo crystals without getting stuck anywhere.

Okay do we know who was in charge of the cutscene direction for this? Cause it's way better then both the base game and Gladio's dlc.

Is it the new sub-director who came on I should thank?
The DLC have different directors, but I assume the cutscene directors are different too, so every DLC can be basically worked on simultaneously.

Slater

Banned
The DLC have different directors, but I assume the cutscene directors are different too, so every DLC can be basically worked on simultaneously.

Well whoever it was should be put in charge for all of the updates in the future, because this DLC and the Visual Works CGI from the main game, along with like that one scene with Shiva and Ardyn on the train is the only competent cutscene direction the game has had.

Well whoever it was should be put in charge for all of the updates in the future, because this DLC and the Visual Works CGI from the main game, along with like that one scene with Shiva and Ardyn on the train is the only competent cutscene direction the game has had.

Episode Gladio had some well-directed cutscenes also. Episode Prompto definitely had a step up. Shida-san and Toya-san are basically the directors on Ep Gladio (Shida-san) and Ep Prompto (Shida-san and Toya-san) so I would give them the credit.

And while there are a few wonky cutscenes in the game in terms of direction. There are a lot of well-directed cutscenes in the game. Almost any scene with Ardyn is done well. All the CG scenes are a marvel.

Slater

Banned
Episode Gladio had some well-directed cutscenes also. Episode Prompto definitely had a step up. Shida-san and Toya-san are basically the directors on Ep Gladio (Shida-san) and Ep Prompto (Shida-san and Toya-san) so I would give them the credit.

And while there are a few wonky cutscenes in the game in terms of direction. There are a lot of well-directed cutscenes in the game. Almost any scene with Ardyn is done well. All the CG scenes are a marvel.

Not being able to hear Ardyns dramatic reveal because of shitty sound mixing making Noctis have an orgasm through the speakers is pretty far from being well done. And Visual works is always great, but them only have 3 scenes hurts the game badly.

Not like this is something new for Tabata, Type 0 had shit cutscene direction too, besides again the Visual work stuff.

Zakalwe

Banned
Finished this the other day, definitely more interesting than Gladio episode but once more a "game" filled up with clunky horrible gameplay, a mark of every Tabata's game with probably the exception of CC. Plus I don't get why they had to create new ways of playing instead of improving the base battle system. Instead we go from one clunky thing to the next clunky thing. We're not talking of some budget game here, still it feels like so (and I mean the whole FFXV, eps included). Bah.

That said at least the new locations and story bits here were nice.

FFXV battle system really isn't clunky. A few camera issues every now and then, but the rest of the time it's very smooth, especially after you unlock higher level skills like Airstep. I'll never get these complaints...

Ruff

Weird how Aranea has a disappearing lance in her introduction. I thought that was only something Noctis and his boys could do because of his magic.

Arkeband

Banned
Weird how Aranea has a disappearing lance in her introduction. I thought that was only something Noctis and his boys could do because of his magic.

Started playing through this yesterday.

I noticed this too. I also noticed that they're still talking over each other. It's crazy how this still hasn't been addressed. Had to finally turn on subtitles.

I'm past the snowmobile section which started off good (although they absolutely dumped an entire control scheme on you with 3-4 windows worth of controls) and then you realize shooting enemies out on the field is pointless because you don't do enough damage to them before you zoom by them to actually impede them in any way.

And god forbid if the homing missiles knock you off your snowmobile in a bad place - it took me about ten minutes to dislodge myself because the second I'd get back on the snowmobile I'd just get hit with another barrage of missiles. At one point I went to jump a ledge and I flew backwards at full speed. Did no one playtest this section??? What a clusterfuck.

Hoping these poorly scripted sections are behind me.

FFXV battle system really isn't clunky. A few camera issues every now and then, but the rest of the time it's very smooth, especially after you unlock higher level skills like Airstep. I'll never get these complaints...

Here, let me help you "get them" - many of these abilities cost so much AP that most players will never unlock them until well into the post-game, far beyond the point that they'd matter. The team approached the skill tree with the mindset that people need something to unlock during their endless MMO-like post-game grind that they "priced" most of the good mechanics in a nonsensical way. I still have tons of things to unlock and I played during the timed quest period where they were throwing 999 AP per hunt at the player.

wmlk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4MoPRHDrdU

Aranea can do it. I don't know if it's something she could always do. If it's the sword summoning thing Noctis can do, then it was possibly passed down to her after they became allies. It's not like she needs to be a Lucian to do it. Prompto can do it after all.

Whatever it is, it's not an inconsistency. That video makes it look very intentional and it has some of the crystal effects Noctis and his gang have too.

How's is this move done,
or is it trigger happy edited into a context prompt move I have yet to discover?

When Aranea is up in the air you can shoot her out of the sky. If you activate Trigger Happy while she is in the air you are almost guaranteed to have her come crashing down in that animation.

Here, let me help you "get them" - many of these abilities cost so much AP that most players will never unlock them until well into the post-game, far beyond the point that they'd matter. The team approached the skill tree with the mindset that people need something to unlock during their endless MMO-like post-game grind that they "priced" most of the good mechanics in a nonsensical way. I still have tons of things to unlock and I played during the timed quest period where they were throwing 999 AP per hunt at the player.

Yeah, the actual RPG elements of the game are immensely bad (the ability system is a total mess, especially considering how many abilities in it are just openly a waste of your AP; the equipment system is serviceable at best but communicates the unique qualities of most of the weapons very badly). Outside of the combat design (which is pretty alright as long as you don't compare it to real ARPGs), the only real mechanical strength of the game is in the food bonuses/rest system (which *is* pretty cool and adds a lot of flavor to the game, no pun intended).

You still didn't address the "clunky gameplay" complaint and just addressed the ability system. Something he wasn't talking about.

And grinding to get every node is not something new to FF. To acquire every node in FFX or everything on the license board in FFXII you needed to grind in order to unlock everything. In all three games, it is meant to make you chose between what you want to strengthen your characters with.

Yeah, the actual RPG elements of the game are immensely bad (the ability system is a total mess, especially considering how many abilities in it are just openly a waste of your AP;

Read above. You're supposed to make tough decisions of what you want to invest in. What may seem like a waste of AP to you may prove to be an ability another person really needs for their gameplay needs and style.

the equipment system is serviceable at best but communicates the unique qualities of most of the weapons very badly).

Ultima-Blade-900x506.jpg

Tells you exactly the kind of qualities each weapon has. Both the bottom areas on the UI tell you exactly what the weapon improves and how that will differ from the weapon you are replacing it with. Heck, there's even a button you can press that directly compares weapons with one another.

nueva-informacin-sobre-final-fantasy-xv-1470837528.jpg

Read above. You're supposed to make tough decisions of what you want to invest in. What may seem like a waste of AP to you may prove to be an ability another person really needs for their gameplay needs and style.
The 333 AP (that's the AP gained from 27 out of an available 99-eventually-120 level-ups of your entire party, for the record) ability that lets you gain a tiny bit of experience when you fish is silly and indefensible, my dude. The game's AP economy is completely and unnecessarily broken. I have no problem with grinding and I've done extremely completionist playthroughs of every FF since 4.

Maxing out FF15's license grid using the Shield of the Just warp strike didnt take *longer* than maxing things out in most FF games, it was just far more tedious and unfun. That's a problem!

MrBS

Finished off the DLC tonight. Way more fun than the last one. I would love a larger chunk of XV in this style.

Lnds500

I agree that the "AP economy" was absolutely broken and awful. They should have kept something like the KH system.

I have finished the game, platinumed it, completed all optional dungeons and I still don't have A TON of stuff.

Koozek

I agree that the "AP economy" was absolutely broken and awful. They should have kept something like the KH system.

I have finished the game, platinumed it, completed all optional dungeons and I still don't have A TON of stuff.
I recently spent easily 15-20 hours grinding AP to unlock all nodes by warp-striking thousands of Sabertusks and I needed ~25k even after already having platinumed it last year. Had the Holiday Pack items equipped, which give you extra AP per warp-strike kill for each monster.

Don't ask me why I did that 😂 Suddenly had the urge and warping in and out still is weirdly satisfying. Used the occasion to go through all the podcasts I wanted to listen to during it so it at least wasn't that boring. It's very strange because I'm usually not the type to return to and keep playing games for dozens of hours, but FFXV has become my comfort food somehow, where I still want to just play an hour or so every once in a while to mindlessly grind stuff while listening to something before going to bed. Just got the Afrojack sword the other day too by grinding the current Cactuars Timed Quests.

Top Bottom