• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

Who plays through a game like FF15 and only does the main story?

Skyrim main story - 20ish hours
Skyrim with side quests - 100's of hours

I'd assume FF15 is somewhat closer to this mechanic

Not everyone has completion-itis. Like me.

If the side-quests are shit people will ignore. No idea if they are, I'm actually hoping they are good given lukewarm remarks about the main story.

So what I gather XV is pretty much Phantom Pain. Just with more interesting open world, better music and way worse gameplay.

Ni No Kuni continues to be the last true great FF until NNK2. Balee dat.

This is scarily on point. Ni no Kuni represents to me what I want Final Fantasy to be and what that franchise hasn't been since X came out. It was ambitious but not overly so, it had just the right amount of exploration/linearity and the sense of adventure was there in spades. It truly did capture that feeling that FF hasn't had in a long long time.

Audioboxer

This is scarily on point. Ni no Kuni represents to me what I want Final Fantasy to be and what that franchise hasn't been since X came out. It was ambitious but not overly so, it had just the right amount of exploration/linearity and the sense of adventure was there in spades. It truly did capture that feeling that FF hasn't had in a long long time.

Yup! Even with a crappy battle system the charm was off the charts. Something FF used to deliver. Then it became a sterile mess with FF13.

For the kind of budget Level 5 probably worked with for Ni No Kuni it just went to show Square mishandling projects, overspending and delaying forever doesn't mean shit.

Pachimari

I'm gonna skip out on launch and wait for Christmas to get this one. And I am getting a little excited, but mostly for the combat and to explore it, as I have always kind of liked it in the demos. Hopefully it comes with an okay story, even if there aren't many CGI cutscenes.

Can we summon our own summons (what are they called in XV?) , so for example call upon Behemoth or Leviathon in a random battle?

Sagely

Has anyone looked at post-game exploration or started a New Game + ?

I don't know anything about the ending and want to stay that way, am just curious about it from a completion perspective. I may play through a second time in English if there's a) New Game + content, and b) if any exploration stuff is locked off post-game.

Feel free to spoiler tag the response, and please, no ending details.

I'm really worried about being spoiled on plot details, since I probably won't reach the end before February if I take my time playing (foreign holiday for Christmas). I don't want to rush through it of course, but if a lot of content is still available from reloading the final save I can wait until playing the end before relaxing and exploring the world fully.

Thanks in advance, anyone who can answer this.

I mean, sort of I guess. I loved NNK and can't wait for the sequel, but damn the battle system was an absolute joke. I beat the super boss first try without the slightest bit of challenge. By extension, everything below him was just cannon fodder. IIRC the battle system had a number of major flaws too with team mates, but it's been so long I can't even remember what they were. It was a joy to explore, but for some reason that side of it felt more in line with Zelda to me than FF, couldn't really say why.

I'm gonna skip out on launch and wait for Christmas to get this one. And I am getting a little excited, but mostly for the combat and to explore it, as I have always kind of liked it in the demos. Hopefully it comes with an okay story, even if there aren't many CGI cutscenes.

Can we summon our own summons (what are they called in XV?) , so for example call upon Behemoth or Leviathon in a random battle?

You can summon
by holding the L2 button when the special music starts playing while battling.

The summon varies depending on the situation. For example, if you are near water, you can summon Leviathan to help you, but if you're in a cave, you'll have most chance to be aided by Titan.

The summon in the game are called Archeons ? They have a will on their own and are apparently part of the world, not just as a summon sidekick that you could just pick randomly as a materia like in FF7 for example.

silva1991

I liked NNK's battle system more than XV's based on Judgment demo personally, but I'm one of the werirdos who liked the battle system there so...

I'd take the "fake" FF13 over your real choice, as it at least has a fun battle-system, unlike the turgid, dull-as-dishwater effort that LO put up.

I like battle system in FF13 alot, but I much prefer LO's over it. It classic and controlling each member in the battle leads to more satisfying results more than changing tactics and "auto" half of the time for me.

also that GOAT battle theme and convenient camera angles "twitch kreygasm"

Not sure if this was known, but according to my friend:

The stronger monsters that spawn at night (stuff like
Iron Giant
) only spawns once. Once you've killed that specific monster, it stops spawning and have to go look for other spawn locations.

Thereby you can make night time easier as hes done and pretty much exterminated them. Can't just grind them out near the gas station.

Sounds pretty cool to me.

Gbraga

Just to share my view on the importance of story in the series, I think it's very important, I wouldn't say it's the only thing that matters, or gameplay isn't important, though, and I think I have a different view on how the story is so important in the series.

To me, it's about the journey, the likeable characters, the interesting and unique world they create for each title, with unique mechanics for you to interact with them. It's about visiting breathtaking locations that you just wouldn't see in an equivalent game (like, people are comparing this to MGS V all the time, just compare the landmarks and overall aesthetics of both of their empty worlds). It's about touching and/or memorable moments.

The plot itself is not that important. I couldn't care less about the dead body, but Stand by Me was still a great movie, and an amazing story.

This is what I hope FFXV achieves by relying on camp scenes, in-game dialogues and so on to convey their relationship.

I'm really excited to know more about Eos, so the radio stuff, the in-game banter, the different text you can get when interacting with the Cosmogony book in different locations, the setpieces, all of that, to me, is part of the story.

Their friendship is the main story to me, and that's what I'll be extremely disappointed if it's not done well. Fighting against the Empire is more of a backdrop to me than the main thing. I do hope there's more on the Plague of the Stars bit than I'm expecting, though, but I really really doubt that.

I've seen the ending already, I just want a journey that makes it as good as it has the potential of being.

And even if it doesn't, if they nail the hunts, dungeons and shit, it can still be my Game of the Year, without a doubt.

It wouldn't have a chance against Persona 5 or Bloodborne though, but even if it was perfectly executed it wouldn't. Hashino and Miyazaki are too good :p

silva1991

Not sure if this was known, but according to my friend:

The stronger monsters that spawn at night (stuff like
Iron Giant
) only spawns once. Once you've killed that specific monster, it stops spawning and have to go look for other spawn locations.

Thereby you can make night time easier as hes done and pretty much exterminated them. Can't just grind them out near the gas station.

Sounds pretty cool to me.

Interesting.

Yup! Even with a crappy battle system the charm was off the charts. Something FF used to deliver. Then it became a sterile mess with FF13.

For the kind of budget Level 5 probably worked with for Ni No Kuni it just went to show Square mishandling projects, overspending and delaying forever doesn't mean shit.

I mean, sort of I guess. I loved NNK and can't wait for the sequel, but damn the battle system was an absolute joke. I beat the super boss first try without the slightest bit of challenge. By extension, everything below him was just cannon fodder. IIRC the battle system had a number of major flaws too with team mates, but it's been so long I can't even remember what they were. It was a joy to explore, but for some reason that side of it felt more in line with Zelda to me than FF, couldn't really say why.

I won't deny that Ni no Kuni's battle system has its quirks, but they didn't hinder my playing experience to a substantial degree and I actually enjoyed fighting in the game for the most part (although it definitely would've benefitted from being turn-based). One of the most common complaints is that your AI companions drain up their MP in an instant, but as long as you give out commands, they'll stop doing so. It's just a bit fiddly when things get chaotic is all.

Just to share my view on the importance of story in the series, I think it's very important, I wouldn't say it's the only thing that matters, or gameplay isn't important, though, and I think I have a different view on how the story is so important in the series.

To me, it's about the journey, the likeable characters, the interesting and unique world they create for each title, with unique mechanics for you to interact with them. It's about visiting breathtaking locations that you just wouldn't see in an equivalent game (like, people are comparing this to MGS V all the time, just compare the landmarks and overall aesthetics of both of their empty worlds). It's about touching and/or memorable moments.

The plot itself is not that important. I couldn't care less about the dead body, but Stand by Me was still a great movie, and an amazing story.

This is what I hope FFXV achieves by relying on camp scenes, in-game dialogues and so on to convey their relationship.

I'm really excited to know more about Eos, so the radio stuff, the in-game banter, the different text you can get when interacting with the Cosmogony book in different locations, the setpieces, all of that, to me, is part of the story.

Their friendship is the main story to me, and that's what I'll be extremely disappointed if it's not done well. Fighting against the Empire is more of a backdrop to me than the main thing. I do hope there's more on the Plague of the Stars bit than I'm expecting, though, but I really really doubt that.

I've seen the ending already, I just want a journey that makes it as good as it has the potential of being.

And even if it doesn't, if they nail the hunts, dungeons and shit, it can still be my Game of the Year, without a doubt.

It wouldn't have a chance against Persona 5 or Bloodborne though, but even if it was perfectly executed it wouldn't. Hashino and Miyazaki are too good :p

Pretty much on point with my thoughts. Too many folks are focusing on just the delivered story here and not taking into the account the actually gameplay and world building aspects. I'm not very far enough in the game to talk about how the storyline goes or how good or bad it's presented but I can say this. I'm super into the characters already, the world is interesting, exploration has kept me very interested so far, and combat is super fun and keeps me on my toes. Game also has a very addicting feeling, one I never really got with prior FF games, not sure if it's a combination of being a fan of real time combat, exploration, or the hunts, but this game is hard to put down and it's constantly beckoning me to return to it.

Audioboxer

I won't deny that Ni no Kuni's battle system has its quirks, but they didn't hinder my playing experience to a substantial degree and I actually enjoyed fighting in the game for the most part (although it definitely would've benefitted from being turn-based). One of the most common complaints is that your AI companions drain up their MP in an instant, but as long as you give out commands, they'll stop doing so. It's just a bit fiddly when things get chaotic is all.

Some of the hyperbole around the battle system is exaggerated nonsense. It's just the weakest part of the overall package. The Pokemon like fighting system had more potential than realised because a lot of the designs of potential allies were awesome.

Games that go the opposite way and have good battle systems but utterly soulless, drab story telling be damned in this genre. Play Star Ocean or some Tales of games if you simply want good gameplay with absolutely shit-tastic story telling and characters.

The JRPG genre can do much better on the story front. I mean you can have both, see Persona, but by large I'd rather have serviceable combat and a good engaging story and characters over the opposite. That is why my expectations of FF15 are incredibly low. Square have totally lost it with story telling and FF, outside of FF14. They keep shitting out characters no one likes and convoluted garbage stories no one can be bothered to follow or care about.

such a diplomatic way of describing its 'quirks' :) ...

rhandino

Banned
Ni no Kuni is abhorrent garbage masked with an adorable layer of charm and I hate to play that game so much because your companions are so DUMB and the story felt really flat after a while.

Anyway, cannot seem to find anything about it but has anyone here toyed with the gambit system for your companions? Any info about customizable and/or deep it is? Do you have to buy them in store like in XII (lol)?

I've been playing about 7 hours now..

Still in chapter 3.. doing most of the side quests and hunts that I can find.. though I'm holding off on the hunts that need to be done at night.

At this point, I have one major complaint.. and it's related to the side quests.. well, 2.. really.

1. Most of them are fetch quests
2. There are some really stupid instances of UI issues when accepting and turning in quests in certain locations. Not an actual spoiler for anything important, but I'll cover it just in case -

In hammerhead, when doing the Takka's side quests (the dude @ the diner).. the quests seem to originate from the newspaper on the counter, but you're getting the quests from him. If you are in one position in front of the counter, it will continue/complete the quest, in the other you just talk to the npc for his normal functions. It would have made much more sense if you just talked to him let you choose to complete the quest you had instead of making it that picky in terms of where you have to stand and having the same npc talking to you in either case

Tyaren

You guys think ffxv has quality side quests? Or are boring mmo "collect x item" quests more important than your life goals?

From what people have shared so far, there are both kinds of side quests. The boring, mundane kind and the more interesting, rewarding kind. There are apparently quests that do reward you with nice optional cutscenes and character development that you would have missed otherwise.

Sagely

Nicely said, Gbraga! I'm mostly in agreement, but actually am expecting to enjoy Persona 5 less than this (although P5 will almost undoubtedly be a more polished and complete experience). It's entirely down to taste and how the game will resonate on a personal level, for me. I know P5 will be great but I don't think it will be so personal or touching an experience as XV, just due to my circumstances and priorities.

This is exactly why a weak plot is probably not going to dampen my enjoyment of this game, for many of the reasons you stated.

Finalow

can someone tell me at what point *big spoiler*
Lightning
appears? Looking forward to finally meet her and see Noctis' reaction.

Ni No Kuni was not good, lets not get crazy in this thread...
actually ... I'd say it was. it wasn't great, it had issues, but still an enjoyable jrpg with that dose of Ghibli flair added to it.

Ran rp

I've never been one to dive deep into an RPG's systems so it hurts when people say to not play the game for the story. That's what I'm here for!

Gbraga

Pretty much on point with my thoughts. Too many folks are focusing on just the delivered story here and not taking into the account the actually gameplay and world building aspects. I'm not very far enough in the game to talk about how the storyline goes or how good or bad it's presented but I can say this. I'm super into the characters already, the world is interesting, exploration has kept me very interested so far, and combat is super fun and keeps me on my toes. Game also has a very addicting feeling, one I never really got with prior FF games, not sure if it's a combination of being a fan of real time combat, exploration, or the hunts, but this game is hard to put down and it's constantly beckoning me to return to it.

Oh man, this will be one of those games that when you don't have access to your console, you'll do nothing but think about it, right?

I love when that happens.

Nicely said, Gbraga! I'm mostly in agreement, but actually am expecting to enjoy Persona 5 less than this (although P5 will almost undoubtedly be a more polished and complete experience). It's entirely down to taste and how the game will resonate on a personal level, for me. I know P5 will be great but I don't think it will be so personal or touching an experience as XV, just due to my circumstances and priorities.

This is exactly why a weak plot is probably not going to dampen my enjoyment of this game, for many of the reasons you stated.

Shut up. You'll enjoy Persona 5 more. End of story.

Ha, I was really hoping to give you guys some detailed impressions from my friend but he's all about that combat and still hasn't gotten past the demo area.

Good god, those
Iron and Red Giants
from the demo area never stood a chance.

I think he's actually wiped out all of them and is down to the last couple. Using daylight to damage them and grind out exp against level 42s. Brilliant.

Aight. AIGHT.

Chapter NINE, yo.

The story actually starts to move, and then
The Leviathan fight
instantly becomes one of my favorite set pieces of all time. Holy SHIT.

Finally someone agrees with me.

LOVED that set-piece. Fucking insane how they managed to pull if off in an open world game.

Nrocinu777

Neo Member
can someone tell me at what point *big spoiler*
Lightning
appears? Looking forward to finally meet her and see Noctis' reaction.

actually ... I'd say it was. it wasn't great, it had issues, but still an enjoyable jrpg with that dose of Ghibli flair added to it.

omg rofl that spoiler.

Gbraga

Ha, I was really hoping to give you guys some detailed impressions from my friend but he's all about that combat and still hasn't gotten past the demo area.

Good god, those
Iron and Red Giants
from the demo area never stood a chance.

I think he's actually wiped out all of them and is down to the last couple. Using daylight to damage them and grind out exp against level 42s. Brilliant.

Wait, they lose health if you drag the battle until dawn?

Alright, alright ;)

I just feel lucky to be getting one right after the other, you wait for 8-10 years and then two come at once (relatively speaking)! \o/

It's beautiful, isn't it?

We're finally playing our dreams from 8~10 years ago.

FFXV, The Last Guardian and Persona 5 in months? That's completely insane.

Alright, alright ;)

I just feel lucky to be getting one right after the other, you wait for 8-10 years and then two come at once (relatively speaking)! \o/

Just read this;

Persona 5 has just been released September 15th in Japan and China, and is expected to be released February 14th of next year in the U.S. And the rest of North America, as well as Europe.

My body is ready

Anyone have any ascension grid suggestions?

Are the skills that give you AP for doing stuff like driving and camping worthwhile? Should you get those early to fund other abilities faster or are they not all that worth it?

Seriously, it's a wonderful time for RPG fans. I'm also into Mass Effect and that's hopefully coming in March, so this is the best season ever haha

Yeah for real man. Yakuza too if you are that way inclined.

I loved Ni No Kuni for about 3 hours, played it for a further 10 hours, then gave up on it

Just wasn't having any fun playing it.

Exactly my experience. Loved the art style and soundtrack but that's it

Wait, they lose health if you drag the battle until dawn?

Yep, they despawn 2-3 minutes after dawn I'd they haven't been engaged. But if you've engaged them, they stay until you or they die and continuously tale damage from the sun.

My friends just been doing other stuff in the game after having found a spawn location, triggering their spawn later into the night so there's a short time before dawn and defeating them and making full use of the sun advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom