• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia |OT|

ryseing

So if I understand correctly, whichever one of
Deen/Sonia
you don't kill you get to recruit, correct? In that case, which one is a better fit? Looking at the spell list,
Sonia
is the only one in Celica's party that gets Rewarp/Entrap, so it seems like she would be the better fit since I have Jesse/Saber/Kamui already as Myrmirdons. But
Deen
has a Brave Sword. Help me choose.

Taruranto

At least it's not the Act 4 Celica swamp maps

Celica has literally the worst maps, ships + swamp + desert.

Deen/Sonia
you don't kill you get to recruit, correct? In that case, which one is a better fit? Looking at the spell list,
Sonia
is the only one in Celica's party that gets Rewarp/Entrap, so it seems like she would be the better fit since I have Jesse/Saber/Kamui already as Myrmirdons. But
Deen

Yes.
I got Deen and so far he's sitting ducks, since as you said Celica's party is not lacking Myrmidons. I actually wanted to get Sonya because my mages are lacking, but I killed her. :(

Golnei

Deen/Sonia
Sonia
Deen

Can't you take
the Brave Sword even if you kill him
?

ryseing

Can't you take
the Brave Sword even if you kill him
?

Is it a drop? I dunno. I didn't go into the maps yet.

Celica has literally the worst maps, ships + swamp + desert.

Yes.
I got Deen and so far he's sitting ducks, since as you said Celica's party is not lacking Myrmidons. I actually wanted to get Sonya because my mages are lacking, but I killed her. :(

In addition, my Saber and Kamui have turned out fairly well.
Sonya
it is.

And fuck that stronghold desert map. There's a dozen archers, so you can't rush with your pegasus knights, and everyone else obviously has their movement restricted. What a horrendous map. Not looking forward to the future maps on Celica's route.

I really wish there was more to the Map objectives and Map themselves.
Would've been fun to "defend" a couple times or something else.

Kinda wish Marth's game get this type of remake (too late now). Although Mystery of the Emblem was actually pretty damn good gameplay wise. Don't know about story since I can't read Japanese.

spiritfox

Kinda wish Marth's game get this type of remake (too late now). Although Mystery of the Emblem was actually pretty damn good gameplay wise. Don't know about story since I can't read Japanese.

Shadow Dragon?

ASaiyan

Banned
Trying hard to avoid spoilers, so apologies if someone's already asked this, but would someone be able to tell me:

1. Are there child units in this game?
2. If so, the names of the units who have kids.

Thanks!

I'm reading that it's apparently best to get classes that aren't Villager to around 10 before promoting.

So I have Gray ready to go up to Myrmidon and Tobin to Sniper so I'll get them a couple levels so they are close to 10 then promote.

Xenoflare

Some of the maps are quite there in the BS department.

Greith's and Desaix's fortress in ch 3 is almost impossible for me on Hard without retreat spamming.

Strings

There's a pretty great fan translation for New Mystery of the Emblem. I dunno if I'd call it my favourite game in the series (although it's very, very close), but it's definitely a phenomenal title overall, and it really sucks Nintendo didn't officially bring it over.

Is this game good for someone that sucks at FE? I played Birthright on easy/casual because I was getting frustrated at restarts otherwise.

The dungeon gameplay looks cool.

nubbe

Even for the last promotion tier?

sSvH2El.gif

Ninferno

Is this game good for someone that sucks at FE? I played Birthright on easy/casual because I was getting frustrated at restarts otherwise.

The dungeon gameplay looks cool.

I think SoV is as new comer friendly as it can get. It even has a mechanism for player to rewind bad moves so the need of resetting is truly gone now.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Are stat increases on level up random like in other FEs? That is the one feature I loathe with white hot intensity and hope with each new game that they ditch it.

Xenoflare

Are stat increases on level up random like in other FEs? That is the one feature I loathe with white hot intensity and hope with each new game that they ditch it.

Yes, with the resistance growth of every one in the single % range.

This is the case for every single FE game in history and it won't change any time soon

I think there's a good chance.

FE4 should presumably be up next. It's the old-school fans baby, and will also appeal to the pairing crowd, never mind the beast of a story it has, so it should be a pretty big hit.

FE5 should then ride on it's coat tails being a smashing game in its own right, and FE6 has everyone's boy, Roy, who alone will sell copies. I could even see it being released as a double pack with FE7, as they share the same world and generations, which would just bolster it's numbers even higher thanks to FE7 being the Wests first official taste of the series, the nostalgia bomb, Lyn and Hectors popularity, and being one of the best games in the series.

Hopefully FE8 and 9 will follow. I'd shit the bed if I ever got Path of Radiance in HD with updated aesthetics.

There's so much potential in the Echoes title. I can understand people's worries about whether or not they'll resume the remakes thanks to Gaiden being the blacksheep (even though I love it), but once Genealogy gets it's due it'll carry on for sure.

I bet anyway.

I definitely hope you're right for the exact reasons you mention. I wouldn't mind terribly if they skipped the newer titles as long as they make them available via VC (FE7 is still perfectly playable) but 4-6 would be a blessing.

vkrili

If it bothers you that much, you can just install a 0% growth patch and you don't have to deal with random levelups at all!

ryseing

But cursing the RNG gods when you get a 1 stat level is part of the charm of the series!

Makes every playthrough a little bit different.

Golnei

Just overall how's the plot
Fates was trash

I've barely started, but it seems like they're fleshing out Gaiden's structure with a fair bit of additional worldbuilding and characterisation; with the pacing also being a dramatic improvement from Fates. I wouldn't expect anything hugely ambitious, but so far it's been pretty well executed.

Galactic Fork

But cursing the RNG gods when you get a 1 stat level is part of the charm of the series!

Makes every playthrough a little bit different.
So would giving you points to spread around. And at least that way I won't be disappointed a character leveled up.

It also accentuates the poor character balance. Some are incredibly useless as they are given very poor stat growth percentage. You end up ditching those characters for someone of the same class that grows beter. Playing the same characters each playthrough because even a poor roll with them will be better than the best roll of others.

And no, I don't find it charming. I find it tedeous. There are many things I like about the series which keep me playing in spite of it though. I just hope they change it some day in a main game.

So would giving you points to spread around. And at least that way I won't be disappointed a character leveled up.

It also accentuates the poor character balance. Some are incredibly useless as they are given very poor stat growth percentage. You end up ditching those characters for someone of the same class that grows beter. Playing the same characters each playthrough because even a poor roll with them will be better than the best roll of others.

And no, I don't find it charming. I find it tedeous. There are many things I like about the series which keep me playing in spite of it though. I just hope they change it some day in a main game.

They will never be giving you points to spread around manually on level up. That would break the games balance hilariously. Even if they did, you'd still end up with the same problem you complained about where some characters get more than others and so are preferable to use.

Yeah I've noticed that. Kind of sad really when you consider there's no real reason to not recruit some of them - I don't think they needed to be optional, I'd rather have them just been mandatory so we got dialogue from them. Genny is a good example of that really, like why wouldn't you recruit her, and it's not like she's a challenge to get or anything.

Yes, the optional characters you can get from the start by just talking to them should have been mandatory and part of the story sequences. Maybe they just wanted to be faithfull to Gaiden ?

Perona

God I'm so glad they decided to remake my favorite Fire Emblem. I love this remake so much. Also ^ if you don't recruit those two in the beginning with Alm, you can do it Celica later.

Galactic Fork

They will never be giving you points to spread around manually on level up. That would break the games balance hilariously. Even if they did, you'd still end up with the same problem you complained about where some characters get more than others and so are preferable to use.
How would it break the balance? Each character gets a fixed amount of points each level, you choose where they go. Then you can get fancy. Some have affinity to one stat, so it costs fewer points to raise a stat. And front loading one stat to high will raise the cost.

This would allow you to choose any character and still grow them.

Just overall how's the plot
Fates was trash

Way better than Fates which I found convoluted and slooow as hell after the first chapters. Also the characters felt like some kind of parody most of the time. In Echoes, it is more straight forward, really old-school but well structured and engaging. Story moves at a fast pace and charcaters don't have to talk much to efficiently convey what's going on. Speaking of the characters : they are really your typicall jrpg characters but well written and never too over the top (save for 1 or 2 characters).

How would it break the balance? Each character gets a fixed amount of points each level, you choose where they go. Then you can get fancy. Some have affinity to one stat, so it costs fewer points to raise a stat. And front loading one stat to high will raise the cost.

This would allow you to choose any character and still grow them.

Because you could(and would) front load a stat or two instead of having an even distribution. It's incredibly easy to make unkillable walls by just dropping 100% points in to defense stats, while your archers/mages get 100% in to the attack and speed stats, ensuring they one hit kill everything from right near the start.

The entire stat system as it is wouldn't work if you could place them as you wish. They'd either need to rebalance everything assuming you've done the overpowered choice or let you steamroll everything. Neither sounds like a better option than the way it is now to me.

vkrili

Could you give an example of when this is actually ever an issue?

Roman

Because you could(and would) front load a stat or two instead of having an even distribution. It's incredibly easy to make unkillable walls by just dropping 100% points in to defense stats, while your archers/mages get 100% in to the attack and speed stats, ensuring they one hit kill everything from right near the start.

The entire stat system as it is wouldn't work if you could place them as you wish. They'd either need to rebalance everything assuming you've done the overpowered choice or learnt you steamroll everything. Neither sounds like a better option than the way it is now to me.

In addition, Resistance being low on physical units is a deliberate aspect of this game.

Top Bottom