• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia |OT|

Nbz

Man Boey is soooooooooo bad. Both him and Tobin are getting dropped as soon as I need to make room for units

Reset

Yeah, Boey is straight up garbage. Which kinda sucks, since I liked his design. Tobin could at least double his enemies. :/

"Damn him and his blood! They may sing of him as hero, but no one knows what wench he sprang from!"

Ha ha wow this localization is great.

I'm a hundred times more invested in the story than I ever was fates, that's for sure. And the localisation is certainly part of that.

I suspect this will end up my favourite of the three 3DS games, but I should probably finish it before declaring that!

Are support attacks out? That's the one thing I'm really missing right now.

If you mean pair up, yes, and good riddance. Absolutely hate that more than any other addition to the 3DS games.

I really like the turnwheel as a game mechanic.

Me too. I hope it returns in future games. My only issue is it isn't an option if you get your main lord killed, you get booted to the last time you saved. I hope they fix that in the next game.

Nbz

Almost at the end of Act 2 and the game hasn't really been challenging at all (never had to even use the turnwheel, let alone lose someone), but I don't really mind. It's been fun just hopping from map to map and seeing the story (which is surprisingly engaging) play out.

Playing on Normal though, but Conquest on normal was pure insanity in comparison

jzbluz

I've gotten so used over the years to resetting when a character dies that that I keep forgetting to use the turnwheel.

Man Boey is soooooooooo bad. Both him and Tobin are getting dropped as soon as I need to make room for units

Yeah, Boey is straight up garbage. Which kinda sucks, since I liked his design. Tobin could at least double his enemies. :/

I'm still hoping he gets better, but he only gained hp when he promoted to sage and his attack and speed is still pitiful. On the bright side, Forsyth turned out okay and he's supposed to be bad.

Almost at the end of Act 2 and the game hasn't really been challenging at all (never had to even use the turnwheel, let alone lose someone), but I don't really mind. It's been fun just hopping from map to map and seeing the story (which is surprisingly engaging) play out.

Playing on Normal though, but Conquest on normal was pure insanity in comparison

Hard hasn't been that hard either even on the parts that seem to give people trouble, but I suspect I'm overleved even though I haven't really gone out of my way to grind.

wartama

Neo Member
I've been playing this game since yesterday and I'm at Act 2. Awakening was my first FE (and tactical RPG) ever, and I skipped Fates due to the asinine story and the repeat of the kids system. The story of this FE is so much better than Awakenings, but I'm finding combat slightly dull. I don't think it's because of the map since I like Awakening's, but I think it's because of the lack of the weapon triangle.

Now time for list (this will change after each act):
Best Party: Celica's
Best Design: Boey
Best Unit: Kliff
Best Character: Mae
Best Villain: Berkut
Worst Design: Mae
Worst Character: Boey
Worst Unit: Boey

Linkark07

Banned
I've been playing this game since yesterday and I'm at Act 2. Awakening was my first FE (and tactical RPG) ever, and I skipped Fates due to the asinine story and the repeat of the kids system. The story of this FE is so much better than Awakenings, but I'm finding combat slightly dull. I don't think it's because of the map since I like Awakening's, but I think it's because of the lack of the weapon triangle.

Agree on all the bolded. Boey is disappointing me greatly; perhaps expected more from him. Thankfully, Mae and Genny are carrying my entire team. Don't want to image when both parties become one. Mae and Kliff will become my main units.

You should play Conquest. Its the most fun Fire Emblem to play.

Naw, Weapon Triangle didn't matter at all in Awakening. The only time it really matters is early chapters since your stats are low, even then its not much.

Fates on the other hand did have a somewhat meaningful Weapon Triangle playing in the higher difficulties.

wartama

Neo Member
Agree on all the bolded. Boey is disappointing me greatly; perhaps expected more from him. Thankfully, Mae and Genny are carrying my entire team. Don't want to image when both parties become one. Mae and Kliff will become my main units.

Yep, Genny is an excellent unit too, but Mae destroys everything on her way. Compared to Kilff though, she's very fragile in terms of defense.

Bearded Guy on Celica's party has been pretty bad as well :/ I expected more from him, considering Celica had to go to great lengths to recruit him. Turns out, she's much more capable than he is.

By the way, I forgot to mention how great the presentation, sound and animation is in this game. If there's a game I have to call 'a labor of love', it's this game.

You should play Conquest. Its the most fun Fire Emblem to play.

Naw, Weapon Triangle didn't matter at all in Awakening. The only time it really matters is early chapters since your stats are low, even then its not much.

Fates on the other hand did have a somewhat meaningful Weapon Triangle playing in the higher difficulties.

To be honest, I used to think I'm the type that doesn't care about story in games as long as the gameplay is there. Until Fates came out late in Europe and instead we got Bravely Second early, and I needed something to play so I got it. I LOVED the gameplay, I never got into an RPG before like I did in that game, but the story was so utterly uninspired and the script was so bad that I couldn't finish it. Hearing the story and script in Fates were also bad, I thought I just couldn't make myself go through a similar experience again.

That being said, I love the strategy/tactical genre, so I guess I'll have to try Conquest one day.

-shadow-

Got my LE in today, man what the hell were they thinking with that boxsize!?

whatsappimage2017-056fkpe.jpeg

Linkark07

Banned
Yep, Genny is an excellent unit too, but Mae destroys everything on her way. Compared to Kilff though, she's very fragile in terms of defense.

Bearded Guy on Celica's party has been pretty bad as well :/ I expected more from him, considering Celica had to go to great lengths to recruit him. Turns out, she's much more capable than he is.

By the way, I forgot to mention how great the presentation, sound and animation is in this game. If there's a game I have to call 'a labor of love', it's this game.

That being said, I love the strategy/tactical genre, so I guess I'll have to try Conquest one day.

Indeed, the production values of this game are amazing. Gratz to IS for doing this remake. Of the three 3DS Fire Emblem, so far this is my favorite.

As for Conquest, it is an amazing ride in Lunatic/Classic. People say Radiant Dawn is hard, but personally, I consider Conquest to be even more harder. The music, those maps, all those resets. That was quite an experience... as long as you ignore the story.

Kraq

So what do you guys recommend i class change Atlas into?

I changed him into a Mercenary because he was so behind on speed (base speed of 3 if I recall), but it doesn't really matter. He's so far behind everyone else when he joins that he's going nowhere unless you grind him up.

I'm currently in Chapter 4 and man.. Celica's party is annihilating Alm's at this point. The two Falcon Knights you get in the former's route obliterate everything.

Game is really good so far.

I'm liking the beginnings of the story.

Just changed

Tobin to Archer

Kliff to Mage

Faye to Pegasus Knight

Gray to Mercenary.

Same except I turned Faye to a cleric, only to save and then immediately recruit another cleric in the same damn room.

Whoops. I'll get a Pegasus knight eventually...

ryseing

Mage Kliff is my MVP thus far. Because I didn't know how the world map worked, I ended up with a skirmish with a shitton of both sorcerers and cavaliers. I gave Kliff a shield and he cleaned them all up. Once he got Excalibur, dude became a critting machine.

I've been trying to feed Boey because I like his design, but Mae is way better.

jackal27

Banned
So uh... my Tobin has 11 speed as a lvl 9 villager lol.

Should I make him or Kliff my mage? I saw someone mentioning earlier that Tobin makes a better mage, but I also really want an archer.

Edit: Also, people keep mentioning Cleric for Faye, but I've already got Silque?? Why should Faye be a Cleric as well?

ryseing

So uh... my Tobin has 11 speed as a lvl 9 villager lol.

Should I make him or Kliff my mage? I saw someone mentioning earlier that Tobin makes a better mage, but I also really want an archer.

Edit: Also, people keep mentioning Cleric for Faye, but I've already got Silque?? Why should Faye be a Cleric as well?

Kliff has better spells. Faye gets Physic as a Cleric, while Silque gets Warp. With how big the maps are, you want Physic.

suzu

I went with the class clues around Ram Village for the male villagers and cleric for Faye. Seems fine so far.

1upsuper

If I wanna play Permadeath + hard mode, do I need to be really thoughtful about my promotions and class changes? Trying to get a feel for how hard "hard" is here. Normal is typically way too easy, but I would rather not have to plan the progression of my units too far in advance. Thanks!

Awesome, thanks for the help. Been a while since I played Gaiden and I don't think I even upgraded my units well when I played that haha.

EDIT: Oh and I SHOULD upgrade Lukas at lvl 7??

Yeah I just got the message that I could change his class.

Should I change it ASAP?

I know it's recommended for villagers but I don't know about non-villagers.

I also have no idea how many promotions this game has. Does it have one upgraded class or two like Radiant Dawn?

Yeah I just got the message that I could change his class.

Should I change it ASAP?

I know it's recommended for villagers but I don't know about non-villagers.

I also have no idea how many promotions this game has. Does it have one upgraded class or two like Radiant Dawn?

According to Serenes, it seems the magic classes can promote once and the physical classes promote twice

_h8bit

Banned
Really enjoying this game so far, especially cause of the story like others have mentioned. I feel like I've hit a bit of a wall in Act 3 though which is frustrating.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So that 'boss' at the end of Act I
with the Draco Shield standing on a Healing Point... did anyone manage to defeat him before he ran away? He's not supposed to be defeatable... right?
?

with the Draco Shield standing on a Healing Point... did anyone manage to defeat him before he ran away? He's not supposed to be defeatable... right?
?

You can beat him. the game hints what made him flee in case you wanted to be bold

Erheller

?

You can cheese him.
If you get Slayde to under half health, he'll run towards the nearest supply point. And you can manipulate your unit's positions so that he'll go towards the supply point by taking a lap around the eastern half of the castle. And then you can change your unit's positions so once he almost finishes making the lap he'll run the other way. Repeat, and you'll have an infinite amount of time to kill the boss.

CazTGG

?

See my previous post:

Short version: Yes, but it requires the following:

-Two units with a minimum of 30 HP/8 DEF (Normal, I haven't tried hard). You should have a leather shield by this point so have it equipped to whichever unit has the highest defense.
-The Levin Sword (Best to equip Alm with it since he should have a high HP stat by this point)
-At least two units who can hit enemies from a distance. I recommend making Faye and Kliff mages and turning Tobin into an archer for this task if you haven't promoted either already.
-At least one cleric. Two is recommended but I was able to succeed with just Silque.

The strategy is to warp Alm to the gap between the two walls. This should trigger Desaix
's doppelganger
to move in and attack Alm. Make sure all the ranged enemies are taken out before you proceed (it's advised you use Python to take out the archers). From there, move Alm one space backward, then four spaces backwards. From here, you can do one of the two strategies:
1. Move Alm down four and then have your allies pin him. Slowly wear him down by attacking him from a distance with your archers, Alm's Lightning Sword and mages while locking him like this :
O
ODesaixO
O

If you choose this method, make sure each unit surrounding them can take a hit and that your healer(s) can recover the damage that unit was dealt.

2. Have your highest defensive unit within Desaix's range and move Alm out of it. Desaix should go after them. From there, slowly move your unit to the right into the castle wall to the right and corner him (Clair is the best unit for this since she can stay right on the wall and move once he's in the corner). If done correctly, it should look like this:
|
|DesaixO
O

This is the strategy I used, it gives you some breathing room if you only have one healer since he'll likely just keep plucking away at the same unit while you heal back any damage deal short of a critical hit. Give it enough time and the dracoshield should be yours!*

*If you try to wall Desaix on the right sight of the map via the castle without pinning him, Desaix will run away when his HP runs low. DO NOT DO THIS! You want to pin him so he can't run away and you can safely heal your units. If he escapes, simply rewind a few turns and try to pin him.

ryseing

Really enjoying this game so far, especially cause of the story like others have mentioned. I feel like I've hit a bit of a wall in Act 3 though which is frustrating.

I'm in a similar position. At the
Desert Stronghold
on Celica's route and at the
Sylvan Shrine
on Alm's. While I really like the story there's long stretches in Act 3 where there isn't much of it.

Delio

Faye as a Pegasus Knight is doing okay for me. I love sending her and Clair off to bully some enemies for me. Meanwhile Valbar is a champ. I love when their arent any magic units around he can just live forever. btw did i miss actually recruiting the other two sisters? Can i go back and get them?

Golnei

I love how DLC is just hidden in the menus.

No elaborate idea to explain it this time. Although I'm sad that about no Anna

I kind of like that they kept in line with the original game in terms of not including Anna - this is probably the last time there'll be a game in the series without her.

Top Bottom