• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia |OT|

L95

Dread Fighters promoting back to Villager as a bug in the original game wasn't it? Even that is in the game.

I have a feeling it was a bug in FE2's dev and was made a feature in the final release of FE2, as characters that are never mages and start in the merc line in FE2 have functioning non-generic spell learnsets.

Someone needs to ask about it in an interview some time...

Oxx

The release of this game has at least spurred me to go back to Fates.

Turns out it's quite difficult to remember exactly what I was up to.

Ashby

The release of this game has at least spurred me to go back to Fates.

Turns out it's quite difficult to remember exactly what I was up to.

I made my peace with never finishing any of the Fates campaigns by moving on to Echoes. I feel so much lighter.

B00TE

Almost done with Act 2. Really dig weapon arts and stuff. Certainly different to learn them/activate them yourself.

nubbe

reached Act 4 in 16 hours.
So far I'm liking it more than Awakening and Fates.
But I would have liked that the combat system was more like Fates, it gets rater monotonic.

All my Fire Emblem knowledge out the window. I have no idea when or how to promote (I just did it as it became available), I hope I don't screw myself. This game feels more like Shining Force.

The original game actually came out before Shining Force. I think they came out the same year as well.

You should promote ASAP. It's not like the other games. You promote by going into shrines and talking to Mila's statue.

Dread Fighters promoting back to Villager as a bug in the original game wasn't it? Even that is in the game.
I've heard a few people theory it being a bug but if that was the case you would expect things to get really buggy when it comes to the spells the looped mercenaries learn:
https://serenesforest.net/gaiden/characters/magic-levels/
I don't know how the data is stored in Gaiden but usually when you overflow data things get really weird for example Phantasy Star IV if you get your characters to level 99 where many stats were reduced or swapped between characters, and several attack skills could be wiped from your characters’ memory.

That does beg the question why only Dread Fighters loop back why not everyone else
yes I'm aware Villager's fork exists

This looks fun and neat. Can't decide whether to pick up this or Revelations next, just finishing up Conquest and while I'd like to finish up Fates full stop, it'd be nice to take a break from those characters for a while as well...

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Forsyth is my favorite character

What is the pink sparkle some units get when I attack?
Affection points. Get enough and you'll find the characters can talk to each other to gain support rank.

There are also some support bonuses that can't level up and have no indicator besides some in-battle stats being different when the characters in question are nearby.

gweemz

Affection points. Get enough and you'll find the characters can talk to each other to gain support rank.

There are also some support bonuses that can't level up.

Thanks I was wondering why some weren't working when they were standing next to each other so I thought maybe this game was different.

TheMoon

All my Fire Emblem knowledge out the window. I have no idea when or how to promote (I just did it as it became available), I hope I don't screw myself. This game feels more like Shining Force.

I propose adding "Promote ASAP" to the OT as a subtitle, also a nice way to make the OT title not look bland af.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I been meaning to ask, is the "# of day's" significant other than window dressing?

Is there a story or objective penalty if you backtrack, grind dungeons, and let the days pile up?

I'm with you on Fates' story, the only one I didn't like was Conquest and that was only concerning the line-to-line writing - the idea and atmosphere were really cool. I don't think it's a good story, but Birthright and Revelations were inoffensive at worst, and certainly entertaining enough for me to enjoy the whole way through. Conquest had me rolling my eyes a few times during the main plot but it was not entirely bereft of good moments either - the supports were the best of the three. Minority opinion though.

Oh, by the way... when you see a roaming enemy team up with a story battle enemy, be ready for a rough time. (Talking about Valentia again now)

I had that happen to me in Ch. 3 Alm's side, where you have to break through a tile-wide stairway and kill a bunch of archers, undead, and a summoner before an NPC gets killed. In the way was a bunch of armor knights as part of the standard encounter, then 10 additional cavaliers just to make that tile-wide stairway even more of a slog to get through.

Alm might've been taking nothing but 1's from all the enemies, but he couldn't cut them down quickly enough because not enough could even attack him. None of my own units could assist Alm either due to the 1-tile choke. Things slowed down to a crawl, but the NPC's blood loss wasn't. Needless to say, they died.

So I backed out of the fight, let the roamers come to me before engaging, then regretted it because letting them come to you means they get the first move on your low-def, low-spd cleric that you can't reposition. Needless to say, they died.

So then I fled all the way to the village, waited for the roamers to come near, then came out to attack them. Being able to keep my cleric from dying before I even get a chance to move them, I easily dispatched the roamers.--And then more roamers spawned from the same place I was trying to lure the previous roamers away from, forcing me to repeat everything all over again. Needless to say, I thought it was bullshit. >:|

-

I feel Echoes works against itself at times as a game meant for the more narrative-oriented side of the fanbase. The game part can just drag.

nubbe

two archers and two casters is the minimal requirement for the teams.
I haven't had any issues with chokepoints or timed events.
Pegasuses are great too for distraction and cleanup

PsionBolt

two archers and two casters is the minimal requirement for the teams.
I haven't had any issues with chokepoints or timed events.
Pegasuses are great too for distraction and cleanup

This game gives you all the tools in the world to break chokepoints, for sure. Mages and archers can hit at greater ranges than normal, magic hit rates ignore avo bonuses, one spell can eliminate a dozen monsters at once, and pegasus riders can not only fly over walls, but even attack while sitting on top of them. Actual impassable walls are far less common in this game than in the average FE.
You're also given a few strong tools to build your own chokepoints and protective formations, from summoning meatshields to shield skills that can turn even a pegasus rider into an immovable object.

Gaiden's maps and encounter design get a lot of flak (and I won't try to argue it's entirely undeserved), but a lot of the criticism is based in the expectations built up by other FEs. The vast differences in mechanics at play mean that you have to relearn how to read situations, and adapt accordingly. Old formations and tactics might not apply, but new ones can be found.

jzbluz

I miss having a map in the second screen; the maps are so big that I sometimes misplace units. I'm dreading the FE4 remake with the even bigger maps.

Ninferno

Something just came across my mind: why is it that Faye got lots of shit for being disturbingly obsessed with Alm (not trying to defend her, I find her weird in this regard as well), but no one seems to complain about Leon being disturbingly gay towards Valbar?

Not that these two bother me much; I actually find them amusing at times. Still, I have to wonder why people react to Faye so negatively but at the same time Leon seems to get a pass? Either way, it's not that big a deal; it just come across my mind, that's all.

Act 3 Celica spoiler/game logic silliness
Hey Atlas I'm going to take you to this shrine up north so you can become mercenary and have some fucking speed *en-route* "that's not the way to Grief's Fortress, bye" *Palla and Catra also leave :(*. After they were re-recruited instead Celica sailed across an ocean to a shrine that was even further away from the fortress with no protest from anyone

nubbe

Hey Atlas I'm going to take you to this shrine up north so you can become mercenary and have some fucking speed *en-route* "that's not the way to Grief's Fortress, bye" *Palla and Catra also leave :(*. After they were re-recruited instead Celica sailed across an ocean to a shrine that was even further away from the fortress with no protest from anyone

lulz
same thing happened to me
I just want to do a thing before the other thing

jzbluz

Something just came across my mind: why is it that Faye got lots of shit for being disturbingly obsessed with Alm (not trying to defend her, I find her weird in this regard as well), but no one seems to complain about Leon being disturbingly gay towards Valbar?

Not that these two bother me much; I actually find them amusing at times. Still, I have to wonder why people react to Faye so negatively but at the same time Leon seems to get a pass? Either way, it's not that big a deal; it just come across my mind, that's all.

I think Leon gets a pass because he's the first not totally offensive gay man that the series has had. In any case, I'm not sure if people were exaggerating or if localization fixed Faye, but she wasn't that bad?

That was so annoying because I had to backtrack and fight more skirmishes than I wanted to. I really wish extra battle were confined to the dungeons.

PsionBolt

People react negatively towards Faye? Huh. I think she's great.
I don't think Leon is particularly comparable, anyway. He's just a dude with a serious crush, compared to Faye's constant "please let me kill in your name!" shtick.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

They both creep me out IMO. Stalker vibes

Zafir

She's no Camilla or Tharja, but she can still be a bit annoying. Her supports with Silque for example, all Silque wants is to be her friend and she's like NOPE, I ONLY CARE ABOUT ALM. Felt kind of sorry for Silque...

I didn't see Leon being that mean to anyone else, I mean I saw him jest to Kamui that he's no Valbar but it wasn't that bad.

Course my opinions may change, not seen a massive amount of supports as I'm only on Act 3.

Taruranto

Leon is in love with him, but he totally respect Valbar's boundaries. In fact he doesn't come of as creepy at all. (I do find him kinda boring, but I'm giving it a pass because FE doesn't have super-deep writing anyway)

No idea what you are trying to say, I haven't seen many people complain about Faye too? People generally seem to like her if anything.

Characters who are not automaticaly recruited or do not have to be recruited have no dialogue at all during story bits. That's a bit weird. I just realised that because Genny was nowhere to be seen during story sequences ans it reminded me it was the same for Alm optional childhood friends.

So Sacred Stones also got some music from Gaiden? I could've sworn I heard the Arena Theme.

Edit: I'm stealing so much stuff. Food and wine everywhere

Zafir

Characters who are not automaticaly recruited or do not have to be recruited have no dialogue at all during story bits. That's a bit weird. I just realised that because Genny was nowhere to be seen during story sequences ans it reminded me it was the same for Alm optional childhood friends.

Yeah I've noticed that. Kind of sad really when you consider there's no real reason to not recruit some of them - I don't think they needed to be optional, I'd rather have them just been mandatory so we got dialogue from them. Genny is a good example of that really, like why wouldn't you recruit her, and it's not like she's a challenge to get or anything.

the arena theme from FE8 is indeed the regular battle theme from Gaiden/this remake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr3zK7FOE3Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZJMLa49F9s

The Binding Blade has some FE2 remixes as well (so does Radiant Dawn, though that song is unused...)

Knew it. Use to always spend hours in the Arena in Chapter 5 of Sacred Stones. Yeah, Sacred Stones did take some ideas from Gaiden. Pretty cool looking back

I heard about the Radiant Dawn one, think it was Alm's battle theme that was unused.

Yeah I've noticed that. Kind of sad really when you consider there's no real reason to not recruit some of them - I don't think they needed to be optional, I'd rather have them just been mandatory so we got dialogue from them. Genny is a good example of that really, like why wouldn't you recruit her, and it's not like she's a challenge to get or anything.
Honestly, yeah a bit disappointing, but at least we get some optional conversations that are a bit in-line with whats happening in the story. I'll take that

When I replay this game, Think I'm gonna avoid recruiting optional people. Should be the game fun or frustrating.

Ninferno

Yep. Understandable but sad. Though the amount of dialogues is already huge even without them. Also, at least these optional characters still have base (or Mila's shrines) conversations/monologues.

I miss having a map in the second screen; the maps are so big that I sometimes misplace units. I'm dreading the FE4 remake with the even bigger maps.

Worse still, there is a solid chance this is the last FE game where we even have a second screen.

I can live with it, but I'm not looking forward to that step backwards for FE or Pokemon.

Man, I just did Act 1 today. Ended up getting a few good levels on Faye as a villager, then I promoted her to Mage. She ended up getting a bunch more speed, attack and defense, so I gave her the Leather shield and suddenly she was tanking the world and doubling everything. She was rocking 15 attack, 11 speed and 9 defense +3 on the shield. Plus, I ended up giving her +3 hp from a fountain (didn't know how they worked, and Figured mages would want some more hp). I feel like tank mages break this game too hard unless higher res enemies show up.

Also, Lightning Sword is a nice early game bonus for keeping damage up.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Worse still, there is a solid chance this is the last FE game where we even have a second screen.

I can live with it, but I'm not looking forward to that step backwards for FE or Pokemon.

Of all the things I will miss with the series transitioning from 3DS to the NSW is the second screen to reduce the clutter of the first screen.

It will be hard to go back to walls of text on the main screen.

Kazerei

Banned
Wow. Is +7 even possible?

Also you'd think Alm would be a little more excited than that :lol

s7aMVGv.jpg

Wilsongt

Disturbingly gay is a running theme, and I like it. Forsythe does it towards Alm and Lukas.

Top Bottom