• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia |OT|

Wilsongt

Started on Hard casual. Decent so far. It's so weird to have so much character interaction in a Fire Emblem.

Gray -> Mercenary
Kliff -> Cav, but might change to Mage since he has best spells
Tobin -> Archer
Faye -> mage

Rutger

Banned
I don't really understand how the different classes will interact with the weapon triangle removed though. The Polygon reviewer seemed very confused by this (
lol polygon
).

Things don't change much really. The weapon triangle could be a nice bonus in some situations, but it has never been something you should build your strategy around(it would be too limiting if it ever was).

Derkon

Lolz. Yes it did.

Having played through Awakening recently(and working through Conquest now) I've mostly not paid attention to the triangle, rarely has it changed my strategy at a given moment.

Loving the dialogue in this one, and the music and art are fantastic. Too bad the maps are such a chore. Chasing enemies who are running away to healing tiles is a pain.

Rodin

Doesn't matter eventually you faceroll with Robin (and his/her kids)/Corrin/Ryoma/Camilla/Xander/etc. anyway.

Faceroll on Conquest Lunatic/Classic? I must be pretty bad at these games, because it's incredibly easy to get a unit killed, and it's basically a given when it has the triangle disadvantage. I plan every move to avoid getting units killed, even more so in Conquest, but it was like this even in Awakening and other Fates routes (although obviously much less). I also talked with a friend to find the best pairings for the units in order to have the strongest sons possible, which is why i always make the argument that the marriage system is more than just "waifus".

Either way, this game on hard is much easier than both Awakening and Fates for now. Compared to Conquest it's easier even than the standard difficulty.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I don't understand the amount of shit Awakening and Fates get around here for optional stuff..

Eh, the story gets rightfully shit on and the gameplay gets rightfully praised in Fates case. The marriage and children aspects are weird as they're optional but offer a lot to the gameplay. They're good in Awakening, but children shouldn't have been in Fates at the very least.
Other than that I don't see many complaints about them other than Awakening being too easy and the waifu shite.

Lolz. Yes it did
Not really. You can beat the games without giving a single thought to it. Maybe not Conquest though.
I think people make a bigger deal out of it than need be. Its a neat mechanic but not essential.

Ninferno

The only FE where weapon triangle is a thing is Heroes, in which it is too much a thing that you pretty much have to base your strategy and team comp on it. Outside of heroes, WTA is a nice little thing players can make use of to make things a bit easier, but has never been a critical factor. Some FE games even remove it at higher difficulty.

Rutger

Banned
Faceroll on Conquest Lunatic/Classic? I must be pretty bad at these games, because it's incredibly easy to get a unit killed, and it's basically a given when it has the triangle disadvantage. I plan every move to avoid getting units killed, even more so in Conquest, but it was like this even in Awakening and other Fates routes (although obviously much less). I also talked with a friend to find the best pairings for the units in order to have the strongest sons possible, which is why i always make the argument that the marriage system is more than just "waifus".

Either way, this game on hard is much easier than both Awakening and Fates for now. Compared to Conquest it's easier even than the standard difficulty.

Good units don't care about a small hit accuracy and an even smaller hit to damage.

It's a nice bonus if you can get it, but not a big enough penalty that you need to fill certain roles to get through things. And that's as it should be, it's a strategy game, not a puzzle game.

PK Gaming

The weapon triangle might not have made a huge difference in practice, but it added personality to combat. And that's not even getting into the Reverse Weapon Triangle weapons which actually made a huge difference in FE14.

Taruranto

The weapon triangle might not made a huge difference in practice, but it added personality to combat. And that's not even getting into the Reverse Weapon Triangle weapons which actually made a huge difference in FE14.

Pretty much, I'd rather have a weak weapon triangle mechanic than Echoes' really flat battle mechanics.

Rodin

Eh, the story gets rightfully shit on and the gameplay gets rightfully praised in Fates case. The marriage and children aspects are weird as they're optional but offer a lot to the gameplay. They're good in Awakening, but children shouldn't have been in Fates at the very least.
Other than that I don't see many complaints about them other than Awakening being too easy and the waifu shite.

Not really. You can beat the games without giving a single thought to it. Maybe not Conquest though.
I think people make a bigger deal out of it than need be. Its a neat mechanic but not essential.
I agree that Conquest/Birthright story isn't the best, but playing Revelations and the DLC (aka the true story) makes it much better (it still doesn't rank high on the FE list, but it's not "shit" "offensive" "pathetic" and other adjectives i've read here). I'd argue that it's not as good as it could've been considering the interesting premise, but i think that the real problem in those games is the writing, particularly Iago/Garon's dialogues about Corrin. I still don't see a problem with Awakening's story/gameplay though.

About the marriage system, i already explained why i like it in the post above. I also like the revamped support conversations, because they help you feel like you're actually part of an army, especially in Awakening, and if you don't like them you can always skip the dialogues. I'm loving SoV but it feels like a huge step down in this regard.

Good units don't care about a small hit accuracy and an even smaller hit to damage.

It's a nice bonus if you can get it, but not a big enough penalty that you need to fill certain roles to get through things. And that's as it should be, it's a strategy game, not a puzzle game.
Yeah but there's also the part where the enemies attack you, and they do deal more damage, other than taking less from the counter.
it added personality to combat. And that's not even getting into the Reverse Weapon Triangle weapons which actually made a huge difference in FE14.

Also this.

I agree that Conquest/Birthright story isn't the best, but playing Revelations and the DLC (aka the true story) makes it much better (it still doesn't rank high on the FE list, but it's not "shit" "offensive" "pathetic" and other adjectives i've read here). Also i think that the real problem is the writing, particularly with Iago/Garon's dialogues about Corrin. I still don't see a problem with Awakening's story/gameplay though.

About the marriage system, i already explained why i like it in the post above. I also like the revamped support conversations, because they help you feel like you're actually part of an army, especially in Awakening, and if you don't like them you can always skip the dialogues. I'm loving SoV but it feels like a huge step down in this regard.

Yeah but there's also the part where the enemies attack you, and they do deal more damage, other than taking less from the counter.

Also this.
The story in Revelations is equally as bad as Conquest and worse than Birthright. The 'reveals' and 'true story' are beyond stupid, and the level of plot contrivance to even attempt to make things sort of make sense is insane. Don't bother trying to defend the story in Fates, it's all bad.

Shadows of Valentia is great so far in the story department, well-written and the characters have a lot of personality despite the plot being fairly cliche.

Rodin

The story in Revelations is equally as bad as Conquest and worse than Birthright. The 'reveals' and 'true story' are beyond stupid, and the level of plot contrivance to even attempt to make things sort of make sense is insane. Don't bother trying to defend the story in Fates, it's all bad.

Shadows of Valentia is great so far in the story department, well-written and the characters have a lot of personality despite the plot being fairly cliche.

Birthright is the worst story wise though. Especially what happens around chapter 25-26 doesn't make any sense. I can't believe people argue against this.

But yeah, SoV seems better in the story/dialogue departments.

Rutger

Banned
The weapon triangle might not made a huge difference in practice, but it added personality to combat. And that's not even getting into the Reverse Weapon Triangle weapons which actually made a huge difference in FE14.
Fates did a lot of really cool things with its gameplay.

I do like having the weapon triangle around, especially if the series decides to follow Fate's use of it, but that also means that there always needs to be ways to just outright ignore it if we want.

Good units also don't care about that either, haha.

Birthright is the worst story wise though. Especially what happens around chapter 25-26 doesn't make any sense. I can't believe people argue against this.

But yeah, SoV seems better in the story/dialogue departments.
I mean, I'm not gonna try and argue with you about which one is better, because they are all awful and not worth defending. I found Conquest and Revelations to be worse, but the difference is marginal and all 3 paths feature the worst story in any FE game. Fates is a train wreck when it comes to narrative, hopefully that never happens again.

kromeo

Does the game have the casual option? I like the harder difficulty but don't really want to go back to permadeath

MechaX

There are two things that have been bugging me about this game's story so far (still on Act I).

First, it's that everyone has been telling me about how awesome of a dude Alm is without actually showing me how awesome of a dude he supposedly is. I mean, Chrom played second fiddle to Robin, Robin at least worked for his fame through strategies, Corrin had dragon powers, and Ike definitely had to work for his fame after taking over the Greil Mercenaries (fuck, some of his longest allies straight up ditch him at first because of his inexperience). So Alm's been taught by some awesome dude... Okay, I guess. Still seems like Lukas is really calling all the shots still.

Second, Faye is... disturbing. She's not nearly as endearing as Tharja who had a some very similar personality flaws, and comes across as borderline psychotic due to her obsession with Alm in all things. At least the other three villagers have actually displayed personalities.

But overall, it seems better than whatever in the fuck Fates tried to do.

Anteo

Does the game have the casual option? I like the harder difficulty but don't really want to go back to permadeath

Yes it does, it also has an item called Mila's Turnwheel that allows you to turn back time into a earlier turn in case you want to redo some action or redo a turn after someone dies. This item is availible in both classic and casual.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I agree that Conquest/Birthright story isn't the best, but playing Revelations and the DLC (aka the true story) makes it much better (it still doesn't rank high on the FE list, but it's not "shit" "offensive" "pathetic" and other adjectives i've read here). I'd argue that it's not as good as it could've been considering the interesting premise, but i think that the real problem in those games is the writing, particularly Iago/Garon's dialogues about Corrin. I still don't see a problem with Awakening's story/gameplay though.
Power to you if you didn't mind Revelations story. To me at least, Fates botched up the plot big time in all routes and insulted my intelligence. FE stories aren't the king of all, but they are immersive and laced with political intrigue and grey moralities. Fates chucked most of that out of the window as it scope was too big and too rushed, resulting in plot holes and plot induced stupidity to carry it along. It was an interesting concept, just developed poorly.

I don't mind the marriage system when's there's a place for it, such as Awakening. However I believe Echoes has it beat in the Support system, as though there may be few, the characters play a larger role in the story making them feel even more important, and aren't whittled down to one defining trope. The base conversations, memories, and larger role in the story is easily a better pay off. I'll take a character like Gray over one like Gaius any day. Gray feels real while Gaius doesn't.

As for the avatar, personally I don't even class them as avatars. They have pre defined personalities, back stories, and relationships. They're like every other character except slightly more customizable. I never related to Corrin or Robin, so I didn't feel a part of that army. They handled thibgs differnetly than I would thus failed at being a self insert. I relate way more to Python, hence my Gaf avatar.

Awakening story wasn't bad, just a bit generic. I know it comes off like I'm slandering Awakening and Fates but I do enjoy them based on their merits. Awakening is simply a damn good game, and while I disagree with a number of Fates concepts, the stellar gameplay will be very very hard to top. Every game in the series has good and bad after all.

Taruranto

Yes it does, it also has an item called Mila's Turnwheel that allows you to turn back time into a earlier turn in case you want to redo some action or redo a turn after someone dies. This item is availible in both classic and casual.

You can also use Mila's turnwheel to erase bad levels ups, it becomes very handy when you are grinding in dungeons. :p (level ups are decided per battle however, so you'll have to wait until next one to try again.)

Overall this is probably the most welcoming FE for new players.

You can also use Mila's turnwheel to erase bad levels ups, it becomes very handy when you are grinding in dungeons. :p (level ups are decided per battle however, so you'll have to wait until next one to try again.)

Overall this is probably the most welcoming FE for new players.
Hm, not sure if I agree with that, Awakening is THE game for people to start the series with. I could see this game being easy to get into if you are new to the series, but I'd still recommend Awakening over it to a newcomer.

Safe bet you'll never see a Fire Emblem game without the Casual option again.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that, either. I'll never use it, but it's a nice feature for people who wouldn't enjoy the game otherwise. I do feel like the turnwheel makes it unnecessary here though.

Man I was just playing Gaiden last night on my hacked NES Classic and it is INSANE how much they kept in from that old NES game. Personally I think they should have changed up the map layouts.

Well, it is a remake of the same game. The map layouts really the most disappointing part. They really should have dumped a lot of those.

Draxal

Hm, not sure if I agree with that, Awakening is THE game for people to start the series with. I could see this game being easy to get into if you are new to the series, but I'd still recommend Awakening over it to a newcomer.

Awakenings difficulty curve is what makes me hold back on recommending it to new players.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm with you on Fates' story, the only one I didn't like was Conquest and that was only concerning the line-to-line writing - the idea and atmosphere were really cool. I don't think it's a good story, but Birthright and Revelations were inoffensive at worst, and certainly entertaining enough for me to enjoy the whole way through. Conquest had me rolling my eyes a few times during the main plot but it was not entirely bereft of good moments either - the supports were the best of the three. Minority opinion though.

Oh, by the way... when you see a roaming enemy team up with a story battle enemy, be ready for a rough time. (Talking about Valentia again now)

Bought the standard edition from Best Buy yesterday but then saw the limited edition on sale at Amazon yesterday so ordered that. I already opened the standard edition so I will have to sell one of the game cards after it arrives. Is there anything different about the game card that comes with the limited edition?

I know the limited edition case has a reversible cover so I want that. But can I start playing on the standard edition card and just swap cases and sell the card that comes with the limited edition without losing anything unique either on the sticker or content?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Oh, that reminds me, what do the revival shrines do in casual mode?

I'm not playing Casual but I read somewhere that they bring back dead characters. So maybe they don't do anything in Casual since you don't perma-die anyway? I'm not sure. I'm still in the first Act. I let someone die, in Classic Mode, then went back to the very first shrine in the game, and didn't see an option to Revive anyone.

So maybe I'm just not far enough in the game.

Well, it is a remake of the same game. The map layouts really the most disappointing part. They really should have dumped a lot of those.

I've only played Awakening -> Conquest, but I'm finding the maps pretty challenging in a different way. They're so open that there's nowhere to hide your weaker units. You want to keep them out of danger zones, but then they're too far enough to away to be helpful in battle. And you need to protect and surround them with your other units... It's engaging. I'm enjoying it. Feels different than in Conquest where there were a lot of choke points and places to sit units to take defense.

I'm playing on Hard/Classic. It's well balanced so far. Except for that lightning sword thats so much better than everything else,

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Is it recommended to start on Normal or Hard for this one?

Usually I go Normal but if it's too easy then Hard may be better.

Definitely Hard. The Turnwheel (go back to a previous turn) makes everything so much nicer. You pretty much will not find yourself soft resetting like you do in previous FE games on Classic. You can do Turnwheel three times per battle, it's really awesome! It's just a time saver, since you're soft resetting anyway when playing Classic, it's just a time saver rather than a "cheat". You can just pretend it's not there and simply not use it, if you really prefer soft resetting when someone dies.

That's how I viewed it anyway!

Somnid

All my Fire Emblem knowledge out the window. I have no idea when or how to promote (I just did it as it became available), I hope I don't screw myself. This game feels more like Shining Force.

All my Fire Emblem knowledge out the window. I have no idea when or how to promote (I just did it as it became available), I hope I don't screw myself. This game feels more like Shining Force.
Promotion early is better in this game due to how promotion gains work

This game gives some serious shining force nostalgia vibes.Also, why is Isabelle from Animal Crossing in the game and called Genny?

Gameplay is rather boring. Finished act 2, play a bit of act 3, but the game is really easy so far. Hoping it gets better towards the end at least. Also is it just me or is the AI kinda dumb?

I don't like how skirmishes work. My only game over came because I didn't know you get attacked first. Plus don't know how order works.

I'm liking the Story so far. Nothing spectacular, but well written and structured. Kinda taking things slow building up certain aspects, Which bugged me about Fates. Good protagonists so far as well. I like Celica and Alm.

Top Bottom