• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Warriors DLC fully revealed

TCTF Agent

Neo Member
I'm still getting the game for a Warriors title to see how it goes but the DLC is certainly not enticing. As so many others have said the willingness to go for clone characters is right there. To be fair even Fates has variety they could have tapped into with Ninjas - Kaze would have fit pretty darned well as a character and would be unique. Not to mention Hector... we'll see how the DLC cast look and play but it's not a day 1 for sure.

From what I've seen, it seems that this game had a tighter budget than Hyrule Warriors. If resources were limited, it makes sense you'd triage it and make characters from the games people actually bought rather than the ones the two dozen or so hard core fans played

SuperBudgie1582

Neo Member
Have some of you ever played a warriors game!?

Seriously, unique NPC's with generic movesets get a totally new moveset when they become playable. Its been like that since Samurai Warriors 1 back in 2004.

suprised they just revealed it like that.
knew the dlc would focus on the 3 games so. i had little hope for something good.
still. despite the focus. they could of chosen some more unique characters of those games

Tharja and azura dlc was easy to predict.
the fact tthe npc are paid dlc is disappointing

only Linde and Minerva are somewhat nice choices... but they might just be clones too...
needless to say. an easy skip

Kinsei

Banned

Seriously, unique NPC's with generic movesets get a totally new moveset when they become playable. Its been like that since Samurai Warriors 1 back in 2004.

The game is already filled with clones. What makes you think they'd bother to change that for the DLC?

Xbro

From what I've seen, it seems that this game had a tighter budget than Hyrule Warriors. If resources were limited, it makes sense you'd triage it and make characters from the games people actually bought rather than the ones the two dozen or so hard core fans played

This game will probably have trouble outselling the lowest selling game in the series in Japan.

Fire Emblem didn't exist before Awakening apparently. I get why they cater to this crowd but it really irks me. You know what characters are popular. There is no excuse for some of the more popular ones to not make it in as fan service DLC. Holding it back for the sequel I guess, which is awful. I will play and enjoy the game but the decision making process behind this is baffling to me.

For what is, I suspect the majority of the fanbase now, Fire Emblem pre-Awakening might as well not have existed

NeonZ

They aren't "generic" movesets though, aside from maybe Oboro, they're movesets from other main cast members, and in Owain's case he even has an unique stance already, just reusing the standard attacks. Those four npcs also already had voice clips for them being used as the player character (and even two supports in Niles' case) in the game data (the 3 unique villains that aren't included in that DLC pack lack that).

For what is, I suspect the majority of the fanbase now, Fire Emblem pre-Awakening might as well not have existed

In the sense that most people only jumped on board with Awakening? Yeah. But this isn't Persona. Awakening itself had strong ties to previous games and Heroes often pushes them to the forefront. Then you've got Ike's popularity, even if a lot of it likely comes from Smash. Ignoring the previous titles in this case is a mistake even if the series used to sell less back then because IS itself doesn't ignore the previous titles.

Fire Emblem didn't exist before Awakening apparently. I get why they cater to this crowd but it really irks me. You know what characters are popular. There is no excuse for some of the more popular ones to not make it in as fan service DLC. Holding it back for the sequel I guess, which is awful. I will play and enjoy the game but the decision making process behind this is baffling to me.

Hey it could be worse. You could be a Persona 2 fan.

SuperBudgie1582

Neo Member
They aren't "generic" movesets though, aside from maybe Oboro, they're movesets from other main cast members, and in Owain's case he even has an unique stance already, just reusing the standard attacks.

That doesnt mean they'll remain clones when they become playable. I dont think, in the history of Warriors games, Omega Force has ever made an NPC playable and had them keep the same moveset.

Zubz

Banned
l7YGfod.png

Wait, Ike's not in this already? I was going to wait for a "Complete" Edition so I haven't been keeping up.

No Ike, No Buy....-ke.

Not putting Tharja in the base roster because they got greedy and knew people would buy her as DLC is going to bite them in the ass.

Glad Tharja is in (obviously) but it's is a major bummer to see nearly everything pre-Awakening getting handwaved. Àaaa

Cheeky posts here.

where the fuck is groose

I wasn't ready for salt in that wound again...

Nope, that's an overexaggeration. People know Ike and Roy from Smash, Lyn as well since she's an assist trophy and is very popular in general. The franchise sold modest, but not awful numbers over here on the GBA, both those games are popular with the fanbase in the west. Tellius games and Shadow Dragon underperformed, but Ike is popular as hell and Shadow Dragon is in this game. Decisions weren't made based on popularity, clearly

Kinsei

Banned
Wait, Ike's not in this already? I was going to wait for a "Complete" Edition so I haven't been keeping up.

No Ike, No Buy....-ke.

Nope. With the exception of Lyn and Celica (Who were clearly last minute additions as Lyn has Navarre's moveset and Celica has Marth's moveset) all of the characters in the game come from Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates.

NeonZ

That doesnt mean they'll remain clones when they become playable. I dont think, in the history of Warriors games, Omega Force has ever made an NPC playable and had them keep the same moveset.

Like I said above, unlike other npcs, those 4 already have some data in the game indicating that they are intended to be playable, so I doubt we'll see playable versions that are completely different. They even mistakenly left two of Niles' localized supports in the game data.

Also, although it's not quite the same (since in base DW7 he only had a generic model), when Pang De was added as a playable character in 7XL he returned with Zhang Liao's Twin Axes, rather than an unique moveset.

If there's one thing that the limited focus is kind of cool for here, it's getting those smaller fan favourites in who wouldn't cut the mustard in a more series wide roster.
On the other hand Effie and Arthur weren't part of the Fates DLC pack which is just criminal. No Virion for Awakening either, boo

Hopefully an unlikely sequel will be able to pull some similar deep cuts from the Tellius saga, I need my playable Shinon.

Unironic yays for me; it'd have been so easy for them to go the Smash route and reduce young Link to a clone of his adult counterpart, but nope, it came with that awesome Fierce Deity Mask mechanic that turned him in one of my favorites in the roster in very little time. Midna's other form was entirely unlike her original in both looks and attacks, not to mention fun as sin to play. Tingle's moveset was delightfully whimsical, offing enemies with popped balloons and a wallet? It's the sort of madness I loved HW for!

Now if you didn't care much for the characters that's understandable. I personally think they were all deserving of an inclusion (with the possible exception of humanoid Midna, but damned if they didn't make her work) and that none was a clone was already reason enough to look forward to them, but to each their own.

Oh don't get me wrong, the movesets are very well done and they are good additions.
But at the time mystery DLC could've been the big hitters that would turn up later like Skull Kid, King of Hyrule and so on which is where my disappointment stemmed from.
Legends DLC meanwhile was dope for me, Marin and Yuga!

hzsn724

Where the hell is Ike, Roy, Alm, and Titania? At least we get Tharja and Azura. But come on Nintendo!!!! I'd buy every character from Path of Radiance 2x. And they aren't even in the game?!? What gives?!

kewlmyc

Nope. With the exception of Lyn and Celica (Who were clearly last minute additions as Lyn has Navarre's moveset and Celica has Marth's moveset) all of the characters in the game come from Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates.

You say that as if half the cast aren't clones of each other.

ryseing

Hopefully an unlikely sequel will be able to pull some similar deep cuts from the Tellius saga, I need my playable Shinon.

If the sequel has playable Shinon, Haar and Volke all will be forgiven.

Those three were my Radiance MVPs. I just wish Volke showed up in Part 3 of RD instead of 4.

Cryxok

Nope, that's an overexaggeration. People know Ike and Roy from Smash, Lyn as well since she's an assist trophy and is very popular in general. The franchise sold modest, but not awful numbers over here on the GBA, both those games are popular with the fanbase in the west. Tellius games and Shadow Dragon underperformed, but Ike is popular as hell and Shadow Dragon is in this game. Decisions weren't made based on popularity, clearly

Playing devil's advocate here, but FE3, Marth's SNES game, is the best selling game in Japan. If you're gonna add Marth and co, it makes sense to label them as from their latest localized installment. Specially considering it is still playable thanks to 3DS BC.

With that said, really glad to see Linde and Minerva. Was hoping for Jeorge as well, but that'll do. Olivia was a nice surprise IMO, the other NPCs->DLC characters are nice too but it's definitely scummy to charge for them as DLC if they were already in.

I learned of the whole archetype/clone thing a bit earlier and that's my biggest dissappointment in the game.

What really ? If Celica doesn't use magic what's even the point

DylanEno

SuperBudgie1582

Neo Member
Like I said above, unlike other npcs, those 4 already have some data in the game indicating that they are intended to be playable, so I doubt we'll see playable versions that are completely different. They even mistakenly left two of Niles' localized supports in the game data.

Also, although it's not quite the same (since in base DW7 he only had a generic model), when Pang De was added as a playable character in 7XL he returned with Zhang Liao's Twin Axes, rather than an unique moveset.

In Koei's defense(not really), the mace moveset that he got in Next was separate DLC for Dynasty Warriors 7. Also, all 5 new characters in Dynasty Warriors 8XL had new movesets.

Kinsei

Banned
You say that as if half the cast aren't clones of each other.

Yeah, but for them to give Lyn the Myrmidon moveset and Celica a moveset that doesn't incorporate her magic outside of the supers is really odd. Celica especially. It would be like making Robin a Marth clone.

Lunar15

That's slightly disingenuous. FE1/3 remain the most identifiable and popular games in the series in Japan. Mystery of the Emblem is the highest selling game in the series, with Fates, Genealogy, and Awakening following close behind. (Based on japanese sales numbers)

While not having Genealogy characters is a crime, it's pretty obvious they didn't include that game since it was never released in the west. So that leaves Mystery, Fates, and Awakening as the top three games in the series, all of which are the main games represented here. This is fundamentally why they chose the games they did.

Lyn and Celica are a pleasant surprise, most likely late additions. That said, I feel that this game was in production before the character poll was released and they were going off of game popularity more than character popularity.

EDIT: With more research, it looks like those numbers are outdated and Fates eventually outsold Mystery. Doesn't change my point one bit though, just interesting that Fates is the highest selling game in Japan.

Sterok

They're not exactly pretending the pre-3DS games don't exist. Shadow Dragon is technically a focus game (though with a laughable number of characters in the base game) + Lyn. Celica too if you want to count her as pre-3DS. That's 5 games, 6 if you throw in New Mystery with Marth's crew. Yeah it's a bummer that Ike isn't in, but considering the amount of clones it's probably better for him to wait for a later date.

Now the lack of armors or lance cavaliers, that's criminal. Camus would've doubled up on SD/Gaiden representation, and one of the more iconic classes should not be absent like this.

Playing devil's advocate here, but FE3, Marth's SNES game, is the best selling game in Japan. If you're gonna add Marth and co, it makes sense to label them as from their latest localized installment. Specially considering it is still playable thanks to 3DS BC.

With that said, really glad to see Linde and Minerva. Was hoping for Jeorge as well, but that'll do. Olivia was a nice surprise IMO, the other NPCs->DLC characters are nice too but it's definitely scummy to charge for them as DLC if they were already in.

I learned of the whole archetype/clone thing a bit earlier and that's my biggest dissappointment in the game.

That's slightly disingenuous. FE1/3 remain the most identifiable and popular games in the series in Japan. Mystery of the Emblem is the highest selling game in the series, with Fates, Genealogy, and Awakening following close behind.

While not having Genealogy characters is a crime, it's pretty obvious they didn't include that game since it was never released in the west. So that leaves Mystery, Fates, and Awakening as the top three games in the series, all of which are the main games represented here. This is fundamentally why they chose the games they did.

Lyn and Celica are a pleasant surprise, most likely late additions. That said, I feel that this game was in production before the character poll was released and they were going off of game popularity more than character popularity.
Sorry, just to be clear I was only referencing western popularity, as the poster I was responding to was clearly only talking about western popularity as well. I know that FE1 and FE3 are popular in Japan, and I do think that Shadow Dragon's inclusion makes sense, both for that reason and for series tradition.

Cryxok

Well, that cemented my decision to not buy this game (well, definitely not at full price, anyway). So many clones... Maybe we have been spoiled with Hyrule Warriors, but after the standards that one set up, I am expecting just as much or more from new "(spin-off) Warriors" games, not less.

FEW has many more characters compared to HW. IIRC, HW had originally 10 unique characters + a couple of moveset variations.

FEW may have a handful of clones, but even then I think it has over 10 unique movesets: Samurai (Ryoma/Navarre?), Blade Lord (Lyn, Owain), Archer (Takumi, Sakura, Niles), Mage (Robin, Linde/Tharja(?)), Mage Knight (Leo, Elise), Pegasus (Hinoka, Caeda, Cordelia), Wyvern (Camilla, Minerva(?)), Fencer (Marth, Celica), Cavalier (Xander, Frederick?), the Twins, Chrom, Lucina, Lissa, Oboro/Azura, Tiki. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it seems about 15 or more movesets. And even then they all have unique specials.

While I can understand the dissappointment with FEW (I'm pretty dissappointed myself), FEW simply has more stuff than HW (wether or not we like that stuff it is a different tune).

Kinsei

Banned
FEW has many more characters compared to HW. IIRC, HW had originally 10 unique characters + a couple of moveset variations.

FEW may have a handful of clones, but even then I think it has over 10 unique movesets: Samurai (Ryoma/Navarre?), Blade Lord (Lyn, Owain), Archer (Takumi, Sakura, Niles), Mage (Robin, Linde/Tharja(?)), Mage Knight (Leo, Elise), Pegasus (Hinoka, Caeda, Cordelia), Wyvern (Camilla, Minerva(?)), Fencer (Marth, Celica), Cavalier (Xander, Frederick?), the Twins, Chrom, Lucina, Lissa, Oboro/Azura, Tiki. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it seems about 15 or more movesets. And even then they all have unique specials.

While I can understand the dissappointment with FEW (I'm pretty dissappointed myself), but FEW simply has more stuff (wether or not we like it is a different tune).

Hyrule Warriors had 20 unique movesets at launch. That's more than FE:W. I certainly would have taken fewer characters (Did we really need so many Fates royals?) if it meant having as many movesets as HW.

Top Bottom