• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

OH GOD! What the hell did the latest Firefox update do?!

Scrolling with the mouse wheel is sluggish as hell. Is there any way to fix this?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the option tucked away under Advanced>general. For some reason "Smooth scrolling" was turned on. *shudder*

Neo C.

I still got the flash player crash, even though the newest Firefox should fix the problem. Oh well, still waiting for an update (either Adobe or Firefox).

How well does NoScript actually protect you? It is the sole reason I've stayed with FireFox. If Chrome ever gets an addon like it I'll switch, but so far I've heard that they have been unsuccessful.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I believe there's an extension for Chrome called NotScript. I don't know how well it compares to NoScript, however.

JavaScript can be used to do a lot of things people don't even realize, such as setting and getting tracking cookies and identifying other user information -- practically everything about your browser.

protonion

WTF! I just found by luck that firefox can display all your usernames and passwords in plain text (privacy tab). Why such a feature even exists?

neoanarch

WTF! I just found by luck that firefox can display all your usernames and passwords in plain text (privacy tab). Why such a feature even exists?

You mean in the options menu? All the browsers do that. Just setup a master password or use a password manager.

After sticking with an OLD version I recently got the newest. The look is much more efficient like I had to tweak with the old.

1 thing I still hate it no warning when I close out during a download. It really should ask like it does if you press X when multiple tabs are open. And there is no Download status info on the screen or direct spot on the interface to click like there was or am I miss remembering?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning

nearly all browsers do this. as someone else mentioned, set up a master password if you want to encrypt your data and block it from prying eyes.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Has anyone else's Firefox been freezing on them lately? I open it up, and try to pull up my Gmail in a new tab and it froze. Last night was trying to watch some YouTube videos and it kept freezing then too.

Dany

Banned
Nightly doesn't work at all anymore. I delete it and eveythig but it can't DL new updates. Firefox though crashed a few times because of flash. :/

magawolaz

So... When I highlight a word by double-left-clicking on it and, without leaving the left button, I try to select other words, Firefox stops highlighting when I reach the bottom of the window.
I mean, it does not scroll the page automatically.

This doesn't happen if I start highlighting without double-clicking, but I find easier to highlight a word by double-clicking on it rather than select it manually.
Does anyone know how to fix this?
I'm on Firefox 11, Windows 7.

Road

So... When I highlight a word by double-left-clicking on it and, without leaving the left button, I try to select other words, Firefox stops highlighting when I reach the bottom of the window.
I mean, it does not scroll the page automatically.

This doesn't happen if I start highlighting without double-clicking, but I find easier to highlight a word by double-clicking on it rather than select it manually.
Does anyone know how to fix this?
I'm on Firefox 11, Windows 7.

It's a known issue: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=157456

Has anyone else's Firefox been freezing on them lately? I open it up, and try to pull up my Gmail in a new tab and it froze. Last night was trying to watch some YouTube videos and it kept freezing then too.

Not here, but going by the pages, it might be a Flash issue.

Kareha

This should sort it out for you, it's Adobe Flash causing the problems:

http://techlogon.com/2012/06/10/early-problems-with-flash-player-protected-mode-in-firefox-13/

Even upgrading to the latest version as suggested at the bottom of that article didn't help, so still have Protected Mode switched off.

Thanks, it's working for me now.

What they really need is tab animation like Chrome, that would make it feel a lot smoother.
well speak of the devil it's in UX now.

uR6Jl.png
and a new error page.

Waku

I've been having this issue for a long time now, but does anyone else encounter issues when opening links to twitter pages? Either in the same tab, or in a new tab.

They never seem to work first time for me. Eg, if you open a link in a new tab, the address will show up in the navigation bar for that tab, but it won't actually go there (the tab will still say 'New Tab'). To get to the page you then need to select the nav bar and hit enter.

I have adblock and noscript, but both are disabled for all twitter pages, if that helps.

Same Problem here for a week now except that they just won't really load most of the time at all. Really weird and just seemed to stop for no reason, as nothing got updated or changed.

Is there a Firefox addon that works like iOS' Reader function (focuses on and reformats only the article temporarily, blocking all other panes/distractions)?

Have you been trying it out? I'm a fan of the tabs, but I really need to have tab animations in there to make it feel as nice as Chrome's UI, as I said earlier.

Yeah the tabs slide like chrome now when moved.
Is there a Firefox addon that works like iOS' Reader function (focuses on and reformats only the article temporarily, blocking all other panes/distractions)?
There's a couple, I think readability or firefox is the best one.

Sagitario

New Fiferox mobile is freaking nice so far. What a change! Let's see how ii holds up (previous version was horrible on my SII).

Flash Player is pissing me of since the latest FF version.

• It crashes a lot! Luckily FF handles it well and restarts the plugin immediately.
  • A Flash video fucking always is "active" the moment it plays. I like to browse through pages using the space bar, but when a video is playing on that page the space bar always just plays/pauses the video. Even when I specifically click next to the video so that the flash player shouldn't be active/in the foreground. Your whole keyboard and its functions are dedicated to the player. WTF...

Anyone else having problems with Flash?

Kisaya

So uh, none of my addons have been working since updating to 13.1 :( Like... they're all disabled or something. Was this a problem for anyone else?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Spent a few minutes sniffing FF's DOM and tweaked the CSS for the bookmarks toolbar on both OSX and Windows. Besides being, like, totally better looking (IMHO), i've also added the ability for the toolbar to autohide when the mouse is away. Bring your mouse back to the navbar and your bookmarks will slide over your content without pushing down the page down. You'll need Stylish to use either -

Bookmark Toolbar Autohide and Restyle - Mac / Windows

Windows
68747_after.png

Mac
68749_after.png

edit: and while i'm at it, the greatest NeoGAF userstyle in the world (cough) - http://userstyles.org/styles/5341/neogaf-monochrome-and-compact-work-friendly

Diablos

So I just uninstalled Chrome after a good year or so, downloaded Firefox, and is it just me or does it perform better now? When I scroll through pages with lots of images, video, and... well, content-heavy websites I guess, it doesn't hang like Chrome did.

I dunno, overall it just seems to perform much better. Fonts look nicer too. It takes a little longer to start up, but who cares?

malfcn

Got a weird new bug.

HP laptop.
Firefox, whatever is current.

When I watch something on Youtube the touch bar with the volume doesn't work. (Or starts to half work). But say I go back to the YT homepage with no Flash videos, it works fine. Made sure all was update to date and even restart/rebooted.

What gives?

CREMSteve

New bug, I use a site called concursolutions.com for business expenses, but receipt images are no longer viewable in ff. It just happened yesterday, has worked fine all year. Jump into IE and it works fine, how annoying.

Blackhead

Redarse
I never get suggestions for misspelled words in the right-click menu in Firefox. What gives?
It was the Menu Edit extension.

Cipherr

Its definitely not an extension, I have disabled every addon and every plugin and its still giving me that damn error on youtube videos.

Youtube has been performing so bad for me lately as well, anytime I need to use it I just have to switch over the chrome, the video tears when scrolling and constant freezes.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Plays fine on Nightly, though I'm using my YT script.

It also plays fine in Fx 14, I didn't realize that they also put videos in "Original" format.

edit:

I watched it on the site, and do notice the player almost disappears for a few moments, when scrolling. But I watched the video (in original format :p) in full screen, it's fine.

There was a strange bug a while back where videos would just pause, but I thought that was a Flash issue.

Top Bottom