• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

Cipherr

I found out what it was, erased all Youtube.com cookies. Instant fix. Weird but whatevs, didnt want to have to switch to chrome

Guri

I was experiencing crashes with Gmail opened. I switched off Protected Mode on Flash to see what happens. So far, so good.

Teppic

For people like me who didn't like the new auto fill in the address bar, you can turn off in about:config by searching for browser.urlbar.autofill.

zou

I'm really getting fed up with Mozilla constantly fucking up Firefox to be more like Chrome. If I wanted Firefox to be more like Chrome, I'd just fucking dumb this POS browser. With every new version it seems I have to install yet another addon to revert their shitty changes. Currently more than half of my addons were added just to get back functionality that Mozilla decided to remove or "improve" upon.

old default image style
switch to tab no more
status 4 ever
favicon inserter
site identity button colors

And then there's all the config changes just to remove all the dumb shit they added or changed, like the about:tab page, the gimmicky download icon, the laggy smooth scrolling, domain highlighting, url bar completion, url bar word highlights, the hidden protocol and whatever else I may have forgotten.

What happened to "just" being a small, fast browser?

Woorloog

Banned
Is Flash crashing in FF for anyone else? I have latest official release version of FF (i assume, due to auto-update) and probably latest FLash as well. Everytime i first open a page using Flash, the Firefox crashes, or nearly so anyway. Kinda frustrating. This has been happening for ages now, i have no idea how many times i've updated Flash...

hirokazu

I'm really getting fed up with Mozilla constantly fucking up Firefox to be more like Chrome. If I wanted Firefox to be more like Chrome, I'd just fucking dumb this POS browser. With every new version it seems I have to install yet another addon to revert their shitty changes. Currently more than half of my addons were added just to get back functionality that Mozilla decided to remove or "improve" upon.

old default image style
switch to tab no more
status 4 ever
favicon inserter

And then there's all the config changes just to remove all the dumb shit they added or changed, like the about:tab page, the gimmicky download icon, the laggy smooth scrolling, domain highlighting, url bar completion, url bar word highlights, the hidden protocol and whatever else I may have forgotten.

Maybe you should just not update your browser any more, LOL.

Is Flash crashing in FF for anyone else? I have latest official release version of FF (i assume, due to auto-update) and probably latest FLash as well. Everytime i first open a page using Flash, the Firefox crashes, or nearly so anyway. Kinda frustrating. This has been happening for ages now, i have no idea how many times i've updated Flash...

Yep it does that to me too since the 14 release :/

I've been enjoying most of the changes they've been making, especially a centered image viewer with a darker background, easier on the eyes.

zou

Wasn't the whole point of Firefox that you can craft it into something that suits your needs?

..and isn't the whole point of Chrome that it's a small, fast browser?

No, not really. It might be now, but when they released Firebird, it was meant as a fast alternative to IE, adding some crucial features that IE 6 was badly missing such as tabs.

Mozilla Firebird is a speedy, full-featured browser that makes browsing more efficient than ever before.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
except Firefox was never 'fully-featured', which is why Firefox's extension community rose so quickly. Opera provides the kitchen-sink experience, Firefox was/is the leaner, extensible alternative, IE is IE.

beat

This so much. Especially when they fuck up long-established keybindings like Ctrl-E. It was briefly stolen to use for the Panorama feature, but user outcry got them to move that to another key... and then they didn't restore the previous functionality for Ctrl-E, so that just became a dead hotkey. Idiots.

Mr_Zombie

and then they didn't restore the previous functionality for Ctrl-E, so that just became a dead hotkey. Idiots.

I'm using Aurora (currently at version 16), so maybe it's different in the standard version, but here Ctrl+E moves the focus to the search bar.

beat

I'm using Aurora (currently at version 16), so maybe it's different in the standard version, but here Ctrl+E moves the focus to the search bar.

Maybe they finally fixed it then. I pretty clearly remember at the time that when they moved Panorama to Ctrl-Shift-E, they left Ctrl-E an unused keybinding.

Everyone having these Flash problems should follow the instructions on this page to disable Protected Mode.
It fixed the problem for me on all three of my computers:

http://techlogon.com/2012/06/10/early-problems-with-flash-player-protected-mode-in-firefox-13/

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

old default image style
switch to tab no more
status 4 ever
favicon inserter

Seems like you just don't like new things. :p

I used to care about the taskbar, but now I realize it does take away some viewing space. I don't know what switch to tab is. The new image viewer is fine, favicons are visible on tabs, though I don't really understand their removal. I don't know what the identity color thing is.

The only one that still makes me wonder is the removal of the window title. I know Windows hides it, but there's a huge area right next to the Firefox button where a title fits -- and yes, there is an extension for that.

Sagitario

The only one that still makes me wonder is the removal of the window title. I know Windows hides it, but there's a huge area right next to the Firefox button where a title fits -- and yes, there is an extension for that.

Yep. That bothers me so much.
Unless you like having tabs on top (which I don't), it's just wasted space that could be used for the titles (which I miss).

I use a script to make FF look like this:
ssKPU.png

Much better than the default options, IMO.

beat

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti..._updates?taxonomyName=Browsers&taxonomyId=211

When a former Mozilla employee knocked the company's accelerated release schedule as having "killed Firefox's reputation," he got more than he bargained for.

[...]

But things got lost in translation, Xia said.

"My point is that software developers and users come from very different perspectives, and that software developers always see an update as a good thing," said Xia last week in an email reply to Computerworld questions. "We're biased, because we have an emotional attachment to our own work, towards thinking that the next update is going to be the greatest thing ever. I wish developers throughout the industry would recognize the cost that we inflict upon users because of our obsession with constant change."

[...]

But Jono, whose surname was incorrectly identified as DiCarlo in most accounts -- he changed it to Xia in 2009 when he married -- had damned frequent updates by software in general, and by Firefox specifically.

"So many companies release updates which radically change the interface for no significant gain," he wrote in the July 5 post. "I've come to the extremely humbling realization that the single best thing most companies could do to improve usability is to stop changing the UI [user interface] so often. There's no UI better than one you already know, and no UI worse than one you thought you knew but now have to relearn."

Xia acknowledged that updates are necessary -- if for no other reason then to patch security vulnerabilities -- but criticized those that change the interface or add new features.

He also condemned Mozilla for its implementation of the new development tempo -- called "rapid release" by most -- that the company first deployed in June 2011 with Firefox 5.

"By doing rapid releases poorly, we just made Firefox look like an inferior version of Chrome," Xia said. "And by pushing a never-ending stream of updates on people who didn't want them, we drove a lot of those people to Chrome, exactly what we were trying to prevent."

Xia called out add-on incompatibilities and an intrusive upgrade process as the two major problems with frequent Firefox updates, with Mozilla's refusal to allow users to easily opt out of the every-six-week changes as a close third.

Tuck

Firefox's new update system is garbage. I used to look forward to updating Firefox to see whats new. But now updates come at random and disrupt my work. Never have that problem with Chrome - it always seems up to date, without me doing anything. EDIT: Oh this is coming soon. As far as I'm concerned, they should not have switched to a new release schedule until this was implemented.

I also can't believe it has been a year and they still don't support Lion scroll bars. Mountain Lion will be out in a week, and they don't fully support the last version of OS X.

Road

Firefox's new update system is garbage. I used to look forward to updating Firefox to see whats new. But now updates come at random and disrupt my work. Never have that problem with Chrome - it always seems up to date, without me doing anything. EDIT: Oh this is coming soon. As far as I'm concerned, they should not have switched to a new release schedule until this was implemented.

I also can't believe it has been a year and they still don't support Lion scroll bars. Mountain Lion will be out in a week, and they don't fully support the last version of OS X.

I think only Firefox 15 (currently Beta) will have a process running 24/7 like Chrome to allow updates while the browser is closed. (But both browsers still need to restart to update.)

ksdixon

I want all addons/userscripts to work without having to close FireFox. There are loads of times where I want to test out an addon/userscript but am also downloading at the same time. Contrary to FF's belief, downloads usually tend to stop/corrupt instead of restarting when the browser is opened again.

Izick

They're trying to make it more like Chrome because Chrome is the best browser on the market right now. You can't just give up and say "oh, well I guess we have to just stick to this way," because that shit will only make you lose more users.

Mozilla still has an advantage in extensions and privacy. Extensions like NoScript keep users on Firefox, and there are still a lot of people out there who are weird about Google's privacy stuff, even though it's not that intrusive if you tell them not to track you.

Mozilla needs to play catch-up for now. Catch up with the UI, with the responsiveness, and catch-up with a few other things. Things change all the time. The majority of people use Chrome now, but give it a few months, and everything could be completely different.

Madtown_

As far as I know, you can't tell Chrome to not track you.

But otherwise I agree, though I don't think Mozilla has a good chance at making up in the places they're behind.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Ehh, I would've kept the old nav buttons. Might get used to it tho

I think only Firefox 15 (currently Beta) will have a process running 24/7 like Chrome to allow updates while the browser is closed. (But both browsers still need to restart to update.)
Wait what? I don't like this... Don't want processes if I don't need em, and certainly not 24/7

Okay, FF is seriously starting to annoy me.

First of, even when I do a complete cleaning of my browsing history, URLs from websites I've visited earlier show up in the URL bar when I type anything (f.e.: if I type "n" it'll show neogaf.com as suggestion even after everything has been "deleted").

And more importantly, Flash has been a piece of shit in the recent FF versions. Lots of crashes, weird behavior, and slowing down general responsiveness of the browser.

Fuck this shit. I'm actually considering Chrome because of it (typing this in Chrome right now), even though I assume it's actually Adobe's fault and not Mozilla's.

hateradio

First of, even when I do a complete cleaning of my browsing history, URLs from websites I've visited earlier show up in the URL bar when I type anything (f.e.: if I type "n" it'll show neogaf.com as suggestion even after everything has been "deleted").

And more importantly, Flash has been a piece of shit in the recent FF versions. Lots of crashes, weird behavior, and slowing down general responsiveness of the browser.

Fuck this shit. I'm actually considering Chrome because of it (typing this in Chrome right now), even though I assume it's actually Adobe's fault and not Mozilla's.
That's odd, do you use anything like CCleaner to erase history or just Firefox's built in thing?

Someone posted this as a possible fix to the Flash problems.

Everyone having these Flash problems should follow the instructions on this page to disable Protected Mode.
It fixed the problem for me on all three of my computers:

http://techlogon.com/2012/06/10/earl...in-firefox-13/

neoanarch

You sure its not your bookmarks? You should try a clean install. Erase all the profile folders and left over program folders.

Road

Pay attention to "time range" you're deleting. If you're using the menu option, by default, it's only the last hour. You have to change to "everything".

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
For some reason FF15 seems to run way worse than FF14. It's slow, unresponsive, and seems to hog significantly more memory than FF14 did. Hadn't it been for all the extensions and scripts I regularly use in FF, I would've switched to Chrome already, because FF has frankly become a horribly slow piece of shit in comparison.

That's odd, do you use anything like CCleaner to erase history or just Firefox's built in thing?

Someone posted this as a possible fix to the Flash problems.
You sure its not your bookmarks? You should try a clean install. Erase all the profile folders and left over program folders.
Pay attention to "time range" you're deleting. If you're using the menu option, by default, it's only the last hour. You have to change to "everything".

I use CCleaner, and Click&Clean for FF itself, I even messed around in the profile folders of Firefox and deleted everything I have. I even did a clean install (by which I stupidly lost all my bookmarks), and yet it does this. I've disabled all my add-ons to see if it was one of those causing the problem. But to no avail. I can't get rid of my browsing history. I type "n" and neogaf.com appears, I type "j" and japanesewomanfucksoctopus.com appears. Very annoying... ;) And honestly really weird. Why did this suddenly start happening?

And I've also already tried to Flash fix that was suggested. Marathonfix was even kind enough to PM me with some suggestions. But this also doesn't have any effect at all. Flash keeps crashing, slowing down Firefox, and in general it just behaves weird. Like say, I have youtube open in a tab, and I go to another tab and then return to youtube, the place where the video should be playing keeps showing a segment of the other tab. It's only when I start scrolling and hoovering with my mouse over the video, that the actual video/player appears.

One other thing that was causing bad crashes for me on youtube was having the HTML5 beta activated by google. I never actually activated it mind you but I had to go and turn it off to get some youtube videos to work again.

One other thing that was causing bad crashes for me on youtube was having the HTML5 beta activated by google. I never actually activated it mind you but I had to go and turn it off to get some youtube videos to work again.

You need to log in to youtube to turn on/off this option. I'm never logged in, so for me personally that can't be the problem. And btw, it happens with everything flash related, not just youtube.

You need to log in to youtube to turn on/off this option. I'm never logged in, so for me personally that can't be the problem. And btw, it happens with everything flash related, not just youtube.

I actually wasn't logged into youtube! I don't even have an account! I just went to this page: http://www.youtube.com/html5 and the beta box was on! It must have set a cookie on my computer or something. Anyways, it's too bad that the protected mode thing didn't fix it for you since it worked on multiple computers for me... either way, it should have never come to having to do this.

Have you tried uninstalling the Flash plugin and installing an old version? Like version 10?

Road

I use CCleaner, and Click&Clean for FF itself, I even messed around in the profile folders of Firefox and deleted everything I have. I even did a clean install (by which I stupidly lost all my bookmarks), and yet it does this. I've disabled all my add-ons to see if it was one of those causing the problem. But to no avail. I can't get rid of my browsing history. I type "n" and neogaf.com appears, I type "j" and japanesewomanfucksoctopus.com appears. Very annoying... ;) And honestly really weird. Why did this suddenly start happening?

Have you tried ctrl+shif+del on Firefox to delete everything?

A new install still looks for your old profiles. If you want to delete all your profiles, open Fiefox with the command "firefox -p". Make sure to choose "delete files" (and that the folder isn't open on Explorer or else it can't be deleted)

If you go the brute force way, you need to make sure you're deleting stuff from the right profile folder (go to about:support and click the profile folder button, and close Firefox after).

hateradio

And so that you don't lose all your bookmarks, back them up before you erase anything.

Go to the bookmarks thing and click on Import and Backup.

Like say, I have youtube open in a tab, and I go to another tab and then return to youtube, the place where the video should be playing keeps showing a segment of the other tab. It's only when I start scrolling and hoovering with my mouse over the video, that the actual video/player appears.
That's most likely related to video acceleration.

Also you don't have to sing in to change HTML5 settings.

malfcn

Still using my NEWTAB page as my home page.
Oddly, Facebook stopped showing up as a thumb nail though. Just blank.

OH GOD! What the hell did the latest Firefox update do?!

Scrolling with the mouse wheel is sluggish as hell. Is there any way to fix this?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the option tucked away under Advanced>general. For some reason "Smooth scrolling" was turned on. *shudder*

I like smooth scrolling :(. (Using G500 here)

Top Bottom