• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firewatch | Spoiler Discussion

Okay, I found the game satisfying but also the final reveal was kind of disappointing. At first I thought they were doing a Shutter Island kind of set-up, some kind of therapy or something to help with his coping with his wife. Then of course there was the conspiracy/experiment angle. And the conversation Delilah had early in the game that you could listen in and not comment.

But it turned out to be a small intimate finale.

But I feel like I missed something. I mean, there has to be something more to the story, right? The mysterious station, the high tech gear, the reports about how much Henry and Delilah can be manipulated. Those things don't fit in with the simple story of Ned and his son and all that. One guy set all that up?

That's exactly how I felt. I was feeling like this can't be the finale? It's over? What about...

Crash331

- For those underwhelmed or let down by the ending, I wonder how much current trends in video games and television have trained you to expect something grandiose. In other words, I know Nathan Drake would have discovered Nazi zombies in the cave and Alan Wake would have at least tracked down the serial killer and the cast of Lost would REALLY have uncovered some overarching shit. Considering a big pantomime story is the norm, it may be very hard indeed to pull off what is ultimately an intimate ending to something that, at times, alludes to bigger events or even a conspiracy.

The thing is, I would have been perfectly fine if it was just an exploration of the relationship between H and D over the summer. Make it like a callback to summer love you used to experience as a kid. Make it all build up, you start hoping and wishing for things to happen, and then the summer comes to an end and you realize it was all just based on location and convenience and now you both have to go back to your real life. That would be fine, and plenty of stories are told in that fashion.

But the whole x-files-esque plot line that goes nowhere and had tons of plotholes was poorly done (why did ned put the key on a backpack for you to find? Just to lock you in the cave?). They either needed to go all in with the conspiracy theory stuff or go all in with the relationship stuff, and I feel like they didn't do either one that well.

Just finished it. I was really happy with it. The ending was different than what I was expecting and I found it satisfying to see two people go forward with their lives.

-Are there any endings where Delilah follows through with her idea about getting together with Henry at the end of summer? Maybe in that final conversation she is for going with Henry to Boulder.

I'd like to know the answer to this too

ultron87

So is the implication that the research site was a real science thing studying nothing plot related that Ned snuck into ahead of Henry to plant the documents with his observations? Because one guy obviously couldn't have set up the huge fences and all that junk.

Overall loved the game. I had my hangups with the ending, too, but it didn't sour the overall experience.

I think I would have liked an approach that switched the father & son's roles (and possibly taken place a few years later). Have the dad die in the fall, and the son living in seclusion. I feel like that would have provided better reasoning behind the obsession with Delilah & Henry's relationship. She was so kind to him as a kid, and his only friend in that environment, so he could have gotten jealous of Henry. Or something. I've also been watching a lot of Bates Motel lately, so that might've had some influence :D

Still though - my favorite game experience so far in 2016. Hats off to Campo Santo!

TTG

I see people getting all worked up about D and H's relationship while I feel that it's only there as a metaphor for Henry's and Julia's relationship.

In a way, the game materializes how Henry feels towards Julia, he can't reach her, very much like how he can't reach Delilah's tower, he wants to, but can't.
In the end, even when he reached her hut, when a promise was made, when you are sure you're going to finally meet her, she's gone, Henry will never see Delilah, and he will never see Jules again, she's like Delilah, locked in her own hut, and Henry in his.

When I think about it this way it makes much more sense to me as to why we never meet Delilah, I mean, the only gripe I had with the game is the fact we never get to see her, we want the happy ending, but the truth is that this is a sad story, about sickness and guilt, about loving someone and letting them go, Delilah is very much Julia, they both party, they love to draw, both call Henry a big dummy, and in the end, both of them leave, Julia Mentally, and Delilah physically.

I think you've hit on the most interesting thing about the ending: Henry never meets Delilah. I like your theory. Also, maybe that decision reinforces that Henry's entire relationship with Delilah is much like Ned's hiatus from civilization, an escape from his problems/grief. Maybe it wouldn't have seemed to crumple so easily if that last, unsatisfying conversation was face to face.

Crash331

So is the implication that the research site was a real science thing studying nothing plot related that Ned snuck into ahead of Henry to plant the documents with his observations? Because one guy obviously couldn't have set up the huge fences and all that junk.

I'm not 100% sure, I'd have to go back and look, but I think one of the notes in Ned's bunker mentioned that it was a college research station.

Why they would leave behind all their equipment, beds, generators, etc. it's a pretty big plothole and mystery.

That doesn't coincide with detailed psychiatric reports there about them.

Those are all completely fabricated very recently. You can see the drafts in Ned's cave.

Another thing is, are we supposed to believe the huge gap in days and Ned just decided not to fuck with them for up to 30 days ,etc.Then suddenly start again? Why?

You can pick up Ned's logs in his cave and get the time line. After he severed the phone line he felt like he was safe. However he panicks when Henry stumbles upon his notes at the lake and that's when he kicks into gear. He actually picks up on the whole conspiracy angle from H&D's conversation. It was never his idea- he just took it and ran with it.

The only thing I can't figure out is why Ned even fucked with Henry to begin with and then pinned it on the asshole campers? Maybe he was desperate for supplies because he was migrating? I'm not sure on that one.

They were camped right near Ned's hideout. I think he was just trying to scare them off.

Alan Wake would have at least tracked down the serial killer

Alan Wake is a poor choice for your argument considering,
it ends in abruptly and with more questions than answers in much the same way that FireWatch ends. It's, "I think I'm about to get a big climax?" and then suddenly "Oh, It's not a lake, it's an ocean"I love it.

I'm on board with your argument otherwise however. I stated something semi-similar on the previous page, I assume it shall remained buried there.

I'm not 100% sure, I'd have to go back and look, but I think one of the notes in Ned's bunker mentioned that it was a college research station.

Why they would leave behind all their equipment, beds, generators, etc. it's a pretty big plothole and mystery.

They were coming back in August. Ned even notes that he was going to have to sneak the equipment he stole back before they arrived.

It makes more sense that he was trying to scare Henry by that point. After all, he did leave Henry's sheets at the campsite.

Ah, that does make more sense.

I do wish we had gotten to seen Delilah and gotten to learn more of her story, such as why she thinks Henry shouldn't want her to move to Boulder with him at the end. To me, it seems that she's insecure about something. I wonder if that could be related to her appearance in any way? Maybe she's overweight or ugly or such. Or maybe... Not knowing just means you have to think of your own reasons, come up with your own story, and continue on the theme of the game with allowing you to make your own choices.

At any rate, I enjoyed it!

I think she is definitely insecure though I kind of doubt it's about her appearance.

TTG

They were camped right near Ned's hideout. I think he was just trying to scare them off.

It makes more sense that he was trying to scare Henry by that point. After all, he did leave Henry's sheets at the campsite.

Alan Wake is a poor choice for your argument considering,
it ends in abruptly and with more questions than answers in much the same way that FireWatch ends. It's, "I think I'm about to get a big climax?" and then suddenly "Oh, It's not a lake, it's an ocean"I love it.

I'm on board with your argument otherwise however. I stated something semi-similar on the previous page, I assume it shall remained buried there.

I never finished Alan Wake, I've been exposed! What's a popular video game protagonist that has to catch a serial killer, the Heavy Rain guy?

I just finished the game and have briefly skimmed through some people's thoughts here. It seems a lot of people don't understand just what was going up with the monitoring station, and I have to wonder if those people found the dead elk after you get the tracking gear. If you head right towards the cave again you won't find it, you have to head north just a bit and your wave finder will start beeping. It's pretty clear then that the monitoring station was to track the movement of elk (though I actually suspected that right away on seeing the tracking device at the station), of course I remained confused about the notes about Henry and Delilah until you get to Ned's hideout and find his drafts.

Does seem that a lot of people were expecting the game to be more than it was meant to be, I had mentioned in a thread before that I see it as an Exploration Adventure/Walking Simulator in the vein of Gone Home and that's pretty much what it was. Going into the game with that mindset, I rather enjoyed it! Not too surprised that it went with a mundane ending too and not anything supernatural or conspiracy. Though ever since when you're first knocked out I kept expecting it to happen again at any moment...

Anyway, this feels like the perfect game for a small novel to continue it, telling what happens with Henry, Julia, and Delilah after all this. Of course, the issue with that is it may not be the same for everyone. Some people would want Henry to stay with Julia, others would want him to hook up with Delilah, so having something that cements which of this is "right"... I suppose that goes against the spirit of the game in the first place. Unless it would be a choose your own adventure novel, of course!

I do wish we had gotten to seen Delilah and gotten to learn more of her story, such as why she thinks Henry shouldn't want her to move to Boulder with him at the end. To me, it seems that she's insecure about something. I wonder if that could be related to her appearance in any way? Maybe she's overweight or ugly or such. Or maybe... Not knowing just means you have to think of your own reasons, come up with your own story, and continue on the theme of the game with allowing you to make your own choices.

I don't think you can start a game so poignant and personal, and then end it with a final hour like what we got. I didn't need the dead body, secret hi-tech base, exaggerated character mystery and all the paranoia etc. I definitely enjoyed my time with firewatch but it felt a bit thematically confused.

tkato

Banned
I think you've hit on the most interesting thing about the ending: Henry never meets Delilah. I like your theory. Also, maybe that decision reinforces that Henry's entire relationship with Delilah is much like Ned's hiatus from civilization, an escape from his problems/grief. Maybe it wouldn't have seemed to crumple so easily if that last, unsatisfying conversation was face to face.

You can definitely say Ned's way to deal with death of his son is quite similar to how Henry deals with Julia's sickness.
Personally I feel that meeting face to face with Delilah would ruin the story completely, unless the story is just boy meets girl and they fall in love, which I think is not the case here.

DigtialT

A couple of thoughts after watching(I know, I'm sorry) this game and reading some of the reactions here:

- For those underwhelmed or let down by the ending, I wonder how much current trends in video games and television have trained you to expect something grandiose. In other words, I know Nathan Drake would have discovered Nazi zombies in the cave and Alan Wake would have at least tracked down the serial killer and the cast of Lost would REALLY have uncovered some overarching shit. Considering a big pantomime story is the norm, it may be very hard indeed to pull off what is ultimately an intimate ending to something that, at times, alludes to bigger events or even a conspiracy.

Or maybe you felt genuinely misled and that's indictment enough, who cares if the current milieu compounded an expectation of something different. Anyway, I felt the writers at least tried to tie that plot arch to the general theme of taking responsibility and facing problems, so maybe that makes you feel better? It wasn't just a ploy to wind the player up.

Personally, the intrigue I was thinking of in the moment was an outside chance that Delilah would abandon Henry in an attempt to cover up the mess she'd made. But that makes no sense.

-I really want to ask the developers this, maybe they're reading, I wonder if The Crying of Lot 49 was on their minds at all when writing this game? Did anyone else think of it while playing/watching?

-Are there any endings where Delilah follows through with her idea about getting together with Henry at the end of summer? Maybe in that final conversation she is for going with Henry to Boulder.

They tried to do way to much at once, and failed in both. The beginning was great when it was just Delilah and Henry and it should have just stuck with them, gave us more character development for just those two. Instead they decided to add some conspiracy stuff at the end for "conflict" and that was really weak and acted mainly as a block to character development as the conversations would just be dominated with them freaking out. Then we got to the end and they had to wrap it up quick so they hand waved everything away with a "guy had PTSD, went crazy after son died" and then the game ended.

I can understand what they were trying to go for, not everything is complicated, sometimes things have simple answers. But it doesn't feel like the creators earned the right to make that message when for the whole second part of the game they go directly against it and add unneeded conflict to the game.

As for the characters, Ned, Delilah, and Henry all represent various forms of avoidance towards their problems, and the park represented the place they could run away too. Ned couldn't face his problems and thus will forever be running from them, Delilah has learned she can't run forever and is returning to face what she doesn't want to, and Henry is up to the players decision (between facing his own problems or running away again). But all of this could have been done in a more satisfying way.

Piggus

Just finished it. I understand the people that were disappointed, and I see what you mean, but for me this just... worked.
It felt real. You don't always "get the girl". Yeah after fleeing from your life for a summer you might have to just go back to the same shitty life you left. That's what usually happens. I loved that this wasn't some... fairy tale.

D clearly wasn't ready to meet. Talking over the radio and dreaming about meeting is one thing. Actually meeting someone is... yeah, it can be hard. I've been there. Being almost intimate on the phone, refusing to meet up, being scared because meeting will change the relationship. It always changes one way or another. You can never go back to what it was before. Henry also had his problems and my Henry just didn't want to meet. He wasn't ready at all. But he liked D as a friend, loved talking to her. And I'm so happy that's all it was.

So Ned and his... things. He had PTSD before going there, and then he caused the death of his young son. Seems he just lost it. Imagine causing that death, fleeing it and then not manage to even think about going back there... seeing the body and having to confront what you did. But he still "guards" the place. Both against people finding out what he did, but also to let Brian rest in peace or something. Then here comes a new fire lookout that happens to "snoop around" in the area. And boom, Ned is even seeeen! WHAT TO DO!? Everything he does after that can be explained by "Well he has PTSD and then he managed to cause the death of his son on top of that. Oh and also he lived alone in the wilderness for 3 years!".

I dunno if it was my lack of sleep and me playing it during the wee hours but the game really managed to grab me and pin me down under all that paranoia. I really felt like I wanted to run away screaming but I was so nailed to the game. I had to know what was around the next corner. Then it was nothing and I felt confused and... relieved.

Also, the art is wonderful, all the audio is great (awesome VAs!) and the humour was just my style. Great game and I'm so happy I played it!

You summed up my thoughts perfectly. This had me hooked from start to finish.

A couple of thoughts after watching(I know, I'm sorry) this game and reading some of the reactions here:

Or maybe you felt genuinely misled and that's indictment enough, who cares if the current milieu compounded an expectation of something different. Anyway, I felt the writers at least tried to tie that plot arch to the general theme of taking responsibility and facing problems, so maybe that makes you feel better? It wasn't just a ploy to wind the player up.

Personally, the intrigue I was thinking of in the moment was an outside chance that Delilah would abandon Henry in an attempt to cover up the mess she'd made. But that makes no sense.

-I really want to ask the developers this, maybe they're reading, I wonder if The Crying of Lot 49 was on their minds at all when writing this game? Did anyone else think of it while playing/watching?

Man, you pretty much wrote what I wanted to say. It's totally symptomatic of video games, and they have sort of fucked up folks perceptions of always needing to build to a 'satisfying' climatic conclusion where the teenz are murdered and it's a crazy science experiment where Delilah is a figment of Henry's imagination and he's actually in a psychiatric ward or some bullshit.

I feel - and this might be a bit hand-wavy - this is partly due to the fact that the industry and a majority of it's audience still draw from such a narrow pool of inspiration for narrative driven experiences (aka other video games). Other forms of media never seem to suffer from this issue about wanting to tell an intimate tale about two characters. The story is just about some weird, dark, and regrettably sad shit that Henry comes to experience and learn over the course of his summer. He then probably gets on with his life.

Conspiracies often develop when one can't accept reality, so it's a very interesting thing to have in a story that is generally about running away from reality.

Granjinha

I rather enjoyed the ending. It was the mundane, but uh, so was the entire game? Sure, there was the paranoia filled parts of it, but everything was rather "common". Everything had a plausible explanation, and a "OMG WHAT A TWIST" ending wouldn't really fit.

I really, really, really liked the game. It actually surprised me, especially thanks to the excellent dialogue.

I just finished the game and have briefly skimmed through some people's thoughts here. It seems a lot of people don't understand just what was going up with the monitoring station, and I have to wonder if those people found the dead elk after you get the tracking gear. If you head right towards the cave again you won't find it, you have to head north just a bit and your wave finder will start beeping. It's pretty clear then that the monitoring station was to track the movement of elk (though I actually suspected that right away on seeing the tracking device at the station), of course I remained confused about the notes about Henry and Delilah until you get to Ned's hideout and find his drafts.

Does seem that a lot of people were expecting the game to be more than it was meant to be, I had mentioned in a thread before that I see it as an Exploration Adventure/Walking Simulator in the vein of Gone Home and that's pretty much what it was. Going into the game with that mindset, I rather enjoyed it! Not too surprised that it went with a mundane ending too and not anything supernatural or conspiracy. Though ever since when you're first knocked out I kept expecting it to happen again at any moment...

Anyway, this feels like the perfect game for a small novel to continue it, telling what happens with Henry, Julia, and Delilah after all this. Of course, the issue with that is it may not be the same for everyone. Some people would want Henry to stay with Julia, others would want him to hook up with Delilah, so having something that cements which of this is "right"... I suppose that goes against the spirit of the game in the first place. Unless it would be a choose your own adventure novel, of course!

I don't think you can start a game so poignant and personal, and then end it with a final hour like what we got. I didn't need the dead body, secret hi-tech base, exaggerated character mystery and all the paranoia etc. I definitely enjoyed my time with firewatch but it felt a bit thematically confused.

Just finished the game. I think D had something to do with Brian's death in someway shape or form. There was a hint that Brian was attracted to her and when you finally get to her tower there's a book on her bed that talks about "leading someone on and betraying them". In the big climax of the story that's pretty much the only thing you find in her tower.

She creates false police reports about the girls and doesn't tell anyone about Brian. She has an interest in keeping things silent and then she bails right away the first second she can.

She tells Henry she snuck in the middle of the night to plant the private two way radio so she could do the same for starting the fire during the radio technology.

I don't have it all planned out and the whole thing is all red herrings. I don't know if the game is interesting enough to even figure out but I think I'm on to something with D being the antagonist. What do you think gaf? Do you inspect the book at the tower?

As far as Ned is concerned, this is what I got from him:
  1. Son dies climbing- either intentionally or unintentionally
  2. Ned never leaves the park. His own way of running away from his problems, namely his dead son.
  3. Ned makes his own bunker and scavenges electronics and gear
  4. Ned finds an abandoned research site, looking at weather patterns and earth samples
  5. Ned co-opts the electronics from there and builds/retrofits the stuff into surveillance gear
  6. He fucks with Henry/Delilah because he panics after Henry spots him and tells Delilah

Ned's been watching her year in and year out. Delilah herself never tells Henry they broke up. I mean they might not be seeing each other, but it is a possibility.

That opening though was fucking amazing.

It's like they took the beginning of Up into a game.

It's pretty clear that she was calling in the fact that your watchtower was broken into.

Regarding people dissatisfied with the ending, I understand something that gives you a bunch of answers is desirable, it's easy. A story that leaves you questioning and thinking is harder, it's more interesting because of the inherent demand of the audience. I'll have many long and interesting conversations regarding the game and where I personally see it going from there in the coming weeks. If there was this Animal House "and Turt Reynolds became a successful lawyer three years later", I would be far less interested in what the game has to say. Your Henry develops throughout the game based on what you choose and thus the ending changes outside of the game. My Henry was fiercely loyal and loved his wife, he's swallowing his pain and will most likely be heading to Melbourne shortly after returning home. I'm satisfied by the lack of explicit closure, not everything needs to be spelled out.

Finished it. Need to think on it.

One thing I will say is that the tension in the middle section where things get the most paranoid and conspiratorial caused me to have a physical reaction I hadn't really had before to a game. Something about the particular way they built the tension caused me to feel a little short of breath and almost like I was on the edge of a panic attack. I think it was the particular scenario of being spied on and followed and the degree to which the game has you embody the character that really got to me. So kudos on that part.

It becoming clear that that wasn't the truth was almost a relief in a way. Which was an odd feeling given the context of the reveal.

Lot of great points here, I agree with just everything here.

Overall I enjoyed the game very much. If nothing else the absolutely beautiful art style and soundtrack. The dialogue was top notch too.

Qblivion

I liked what they were going for, but not totally sold on how they did it. Discovering the body being the dramatic climax didn't feel totally earned. Despite a number of conversations about Ned and his son, they never seemed all that important, and by the end I couldn't even remember most of them. Putting more emphasis on that stuff would have made the discovery a little more impactful.

I still enjoyed the game though, and would recommend it.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
My problem is that there are too many similar games where you do not meet anyone and experience the world around you. Flasbacks of events as ghosts or the like. So I wanted something different this time. After Ethan,Rapture, etc I just needed this to be something more than this. Really nice build up with the right setting for that solitude feeling. Where it fails is that it builds up into something and reveals into a disappointment.

And I do understand if people like this a lot. It just wasn't for me

IMACOMPUTA

Maybe I was way more immersed in the game while playing it than some of you, but some of you guys missed a lot of stuff!
I see now that most of it has been explained in this thread, so i won't go into it. (research base, tracker, etc.)

I absolutely loved this game. It's interesting, too -- because I can definitely see the similarities with Gone Home (which i didn't care for at all). The big difference is in the voice acting and writing. This game has probably the best dialogue of any game I've ever played.
I've never been anywhere close to being attracted to a videogame character before, but Delilah is amazing. And you never even see her.

Bravo, Camposanto.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I thought the conspiracy stuff was perfectly fine as a distraction from the real nemesis force in the plot, especially with how much it totally fucked with both Delilah and Henry. They sold it almost too well though, and makes the comedown with the final revelations about Ned and his son a steep shale incline to fall from. I can draw comparisons from a few other games in recent years that have approached the 'human' angle in their finales, which I think is fantastic and more games should follow suit. My main hangup is - does Firewatch earn the emotional payoff it wants to give players by the end?

We're given details about Brian's life, and his death obviously affects Delilah in a big way, but to the player/Henry, it means very little. The opening Interactive Fiction segment which sets up Julia's downfall and the bulk of Henry's personal drama was really fantastic. But once Henry is in the park proper, she only comes up as a way to hint at a relationship developing between Delilah and Henry, which may or may not grow into something meaningful. Exploring further interpersonal conflict within Henry over her may have provided additional investment as the story moved on.

Above all else, Firewatch wants to use grand movements to trick players into thinking one thing, while playing for a more subtle delivery on the parts of the story that actually matter. It's difficult to say if it failed, but I think it needed a little bit more time to endear the idea of Brian and his father to the player and to give the split between choosing Delilah or Julia more weight. The more I think about the game, the better I feel towards it. But I'm still feeling unfulfilled by certain things, and I think it may ultimately come down to what Firewatch was able to say and do in its time more than 'did it do the things I expected it to?', which is an important distinction I try to make these days.

On a side note, I'm a bit disappointed the extra photos in the roll don't seem to be included in the print outs. Having the mementos of Henry's accidental selfie and the photos of Brian and Ned as part of the print set would work further towards the game's goal of wanting to establish a bond with those characters. Plus, it'd be a cool way to give fans some official art prints that don't break the bank!

IMACOMPUTA

We're given details about Brian's life, and his death obviously affects Delilah in a big way, but to the player/Henry, it means very little.
I was really bummed out when Delilah stopped being funny and talkative. It affected me in that way. I missed the funny banter between Henry and Delilah.

The opening Interactive Fiction segment which sets up Julia's downfall and the bulk of Henry's personal drama was really fantastic. But once Henry is in the park proper, she only comes up as a way to hint at a relationship developing between Delilah and Henry, which may or may not grow into something meaningful. Exploring further interpersonal conflict within Henry over her may have provided additional investment as the story moved on.
I felt incredibly guilty about some of the responses/conversations I had with Delilah, and I don't think I would have had it not been for the set up at the beginning. I agree that it could have been interesting to explore H + J's relationship more, but this kind of felt like a summer fling. I didn't really want to talk about "my wife".

Jake

On a side note, I'm a bit disappointed the extra photos in the roll don't seem to be included in the print outs. Having the mementos of Henry's accidental selfie and the photos of Brian and Ned as part of the print set would work further towards the game's goal of wanting to establish a bond with those characters. Plus, it'd be a cool way to give fans some official art prints that don't break the bank!

We don't display them on the camera roll webpage because they'd be ultimate spoilers for people who visited otherwise spoiler-free rolls, but when you order the photo pack you definitely get the entire roll as it appears in the credits, including Henry's selfie, and Brian's vacation snaps, and like the credits its sent a Fotodome envelope. (We found a place that actually prints proper custom drug store photomat envelopes and mailers and had them print it all up to be in-world matching with the Fotodome branding etc. It's pretty nice when you get it.)

Glad I can finally get this out. Played for review last weekend, and I've been eager to get out my grievances. I think that in theory, Firewatch is an astounding accomplishment. I love its' visuals, I love how it handles dialogue, the vocal performances are top of the line, there's so much detail in the world (I'm waiting on my camera prints right now, I might get them framed.).

But it is dramatically hampered by the simple fact that it isn't long enough to pull off what it attempts.

Delilah and Henry's story is this sort of slow-brewing romance, two damaged people who can carefully construct what the other one sees of them. Your options as Henry to shape how much you reveal are a simple gameplay mechanic overall, but breed a truly one-of-a-kind relationship with Delilah. Unfortunately, the game is too eager to make large forward jumps in time - and accelerate that relationship without any further input from the player. I'm not saying I need to control every day of the summer, but I wanted more moments like the first day with the teens. Tiny problems that need solving, where you can define Henry by doing. Then have Delilah react to those choices. Instead you have that first interaction with the campers, the resulting crisis, and then it spirals into the paranoia angle that dominates the latter half.
Which for the record, I think works as a dramatic pull. As mentioned, Henry & Delilah are damaged. Both use this job, and each other, as a vice. It's escape from the real problems and stakes of the world. That would also make them susceptible to delusion, and accellerating into the realm of conspiracy. When they find the camp and believe that a rather banal soil analysis lab could be a government tracking program - it feels genuine. There's just enough uncertainty to their lives that the impossible seems to be in the cards.
As for the final hour, that might be Firewatch's most damning problem of pace. Simply enough, you don't get to know Brian until the last possible minute. The storyline takes you directly from his santuary to his tomb. It attempts to build up sentiment so heavyhandedly that learning his death seems downright inevitable. That failure ends up dampening the effect of finding Ned's hideout, resulting in the underwhelming conclusion.
Ideally, Henry should've been learning more about Brian as the paranoia built more slowly, and maybe found more evidence to Ned's existence as well.

Also, the beeping radar device can go straight to hell. What a pain.

I also have some comparisons to Gone Home, which I will put in spoilers for that game's sake.

Overall, the ending really made me appreciate Gone Home even more. That game does a lot of the same things, and hits many of the same beats in about half the runtime. You build a meaningful understanding of both characters and their relationship, uncover airs of an (ultimately bunk) conspiracy, and have a last minute reveal that tears away any notion of the supernatural - in favor of something strictly realist. But unlike Firewatch, Gone Home lets your connection to that character slowly build naturally, rather than largely clumping it into the final moments.

Still, I like a lot of Firewatch and will recommend it to any fan of this genre. But it really bums me out, knowing that with a few tweaks and a bit more to it - the experience would be THAT much better.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I felt incredibly guilty about some of the responses/conversations I had with Delilah, and I don't think I would have had it not been for the set up at the beginning. I agree that it could have been interesting to explore H + J's relationship more, but this kind of felt like a summer fling. I didn't really want to talk about "my wife".

I'll say this is a fair point. They did address the implication that Henry was considering moving on by placing his ring on the desk by the typewriter, which gets right to the point, but I still felt like there could have been more events like the late night radio dream, rather than internalizing his emotions on the subject off screen.

We don't display them on the camera roll webpage because they'd be ultimate spoilers for people who visited otherwise spoiler-free rolls, but when you order the photo pack you definitely get the entire roll as it appears in the credits, including Henry's selfie, and Brian's vacation snaps, and like the credits its sent a Fotodome envelope. (We found a place that actually prints proper custom drug store photomat envelopes and mailers and had them print it all up to be in-world matching with the Fotodome branding etc. It's pretty nice when you get it.)

I saw the Fotodome branded envelope on an article published on Monday, which I thought was a great little touch! Understandably, the spoilery pictures wouldn't have shown up in those promo shots of the print set, and I can see why you'd leave them out in case someone wished to share their photo reel even with the spoiler warning. But it also means players can't view/download those photos themselves either. Mostly just confusion on my part I suppose, but good to know!

Really cool to see folks in here unpacking the specific events and timeline of Ned's involvement in the plot, including some of the very small details we worked out. I will cop to some of that stuff probably not being as well surfaced as it could have been to ensure most players basically get it, but it's still gratifying to see people talk it over and put together the pieces.

IMACOMPUTA

I'll say this is a fair point. They did address the implication that Henry was considering moving on by placing his ring on the desk by the typewriter, which gets right to the point, but I still felt like there could have been more events like the late night radio dream, rather than internalizing his emotions on the subject off screen.

Also the picture of Henry and Julia was always face down on the desk every new day. I always put it back up. And grabbed my wedding ring.

I also cleaned up all of the trash, and put all of my belongings back in place after my tower was trashed.

I was hoping the game would keep track of these things somehow. It'd be interesting.

Jake

When the wedding ring first went in to the game, I threw my wedding ring in the desk drawer and closed the drawer and didn't expect that to work or to impact me but both happened.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Also the picture of Henry and Julia was always face down on the desk every new day. I always put it back up. And grabbed my wedding ring.

I also cleaned up all of the trash, and put all of my belongings back in place after my tower was trashed.

I was hoping the game would keep track of these things somehow. It'd be interesting.

Hmm. My photo never ended up face down, which might be due to me dropping the picture in place after I lost the sweet spot for putting it back where it originally was and couldn't get it to trigger that specific action again. It sat angled towards the side of the typewriter the entire game.

I did put all of the books back, at least. If there's one thing civilization needs to leave behind, it's that books were the most important of all things. I also grabbed Shelly to go on adventures with me. She was my partner in crime, and we had to cheese it the hell out of there when the going was tough.

When the wedding ring first went in to the game, I threw my wedding ring in the desk drawer and closed the drawer and didn't expect that to work or to impact me but both happened.

I never even thought about doing that.

Damn, Henry.

elguero

Couldn't shake the feeling that the guy from the missing persons poster was going to pop up in the plot at some point. Pretty good red herring in a game full of them.

SRTtoZ

I was 100% sure this was the dev that made Gone Home after I beat this tonight. Its fucking Gone Home set in the woods. Halfway through I realized I wasn't
going to actually meet anyone and the story would go nowhere and I was right. And WTF is up with the story? They have you thinking some crazy shit is going on only for it to be a crazy father?? Whats all the expensive equipment for? Why write reports on them? Huh? Did they run out of time and budget and decided crazy father would be easier to write? And WHAT THE FUCK with that finale? The whole game, especially the night scene with the fire she acts like she loves you and wants to be with you and I ask her to wait for me and shes like nah cya have fun. Uhhh ok. All that relationship building only for her to never meet you or try to become a friend/more than friends. The first half of the game was good because you thought you were walking into some crazy shit but then you realize nope the game is that shallow and its going to go nowhere like Gone Home did. Not a bad way to spend 4-5 hours but I guess I expected way more from the trailers and the lead up until the end.

6/10
Bleh, very disappointed. I don't think I ever went from "Wow amazing game so far, buy this shit!" 4-5 hours ago in the PS4 performance thread to "Is that it? Is that really fucking it??" so fast.

I just got Gone Home'd.

Extremely disappointed with the conclusion. Good setup, no payoff.

Yep. Gone fucking Home'd.

Cajun

Neo Member
Just finished the game, and I quite enjoyed it. I honestly didn't care for the mystery which is really the meat of the plot, but I think Campo Santo pulled off the human element extremely well, especially in the ending imo.

So here's my two cents regarding the "flat" ending.

Henry and Delilah's characters are both pretty well established by the end of the game. They're both afraid of the unknown, of change, hence their reason to escape to the wilderness when their lives take unexpected turns. The events of the game certainly wouldn't give the average person any reason to change that fact about themselves. I would honestly find it far less believable if Henry meets Delilah in the end and the relationship they've been fostering bloomed into something more.

As far as the mystery is concerned, to me, it doesn't feel like the driving force of the narrative, even though it takes up a large portion of the time you spend in the game. I think it served its purpose, which was to solidify that these two characters don't want to face potential heartbreak, fear, failure, etc. While this is less effective for Delilah because she's been in the mountains away from this for a decade, Henry wanted a break from his life, but still had to face fear, and a potentially bleak future.

In the end, it would be more bizarre if these two characters had some major personality revelations caused by the events of Firewatch, and somehow turned their life around at the end of the summer, whether it be a new romance between the two, or moving on to far better things in life (though it seems Delilah has a chance at moving in the path of the latter). What is written here is far more relatable and realistic.

MadD4mon

I read somewhere that the credits have some kind of extra scene at the end. Since I finished the game quite late last night, I didn't watch them. Could someone tell me if that's true and if yes what happens there?

Meneses

The game looked great and I kinda dig the idea of playing with paranoia and subverting that movie/game expectation of always having some grand scheme going on - and then at the end we find out that nothing particularly special happens. Conspiracy? More like con-spiracy!

I just don't think it was very fun to play; the idea was cool but it didn't really translate well. I was actually kinda bored most of the time and didn't really feel invested in the characters, but that was probably due to me thinking that Henry's acting was poor (Delilah was good), and the "snark-off" between them at the beginning felt super forced and kind of annoyed me for the rest of the game.

All things considered, I loved everything about this project (the concept, the art, the awesome press kits, the real photo stuff) except maybe the game itself? It's weird. I applaud the effort, though, and hope the team can keep on trying new stuff.

SRTtoZ

Perfect, except there was no uptick at the end for me :D

It can also be summed up like this...

tumblr_l9qoj2jEhY1qzzud0.gif

Spoo

Just finished the game, and I quite enjoyed it. I honestly didn't care for the mystery which is really the meat of the plot, but I think Campo Santo pulled off the human element extremely well, especially in the ending imo.

So here's my two cents regarding the "flat" ending.

Henry and Delilah's characters are both pretty well established by the end of the game. They're both afraid of the unknown, of change, hence their reason to escape to the wilderness when their lives take unexpected turns. The events of the game certainly wouldn't give the average person any reason to change that fact about themselves. I would honestly find it far less believable if Henry meets Delilah in the end and the relationship they've been fostering bloomed into something more.

As far as the mystery is concerned, to me, it doesn't feel like the driving force of the narrative, even though it takes up a large portion of the time you spend in the game. I think it served its purpose, which was to solidify that these two characters don't want to face potential heartbreak, fear, failure, etc. While this is less effective for Delilah because she's been in the mountains away from this for a decade, Henry wanted a break from his life, but still had to face fear, and a potentially bleak future.

In the end, it would be more bizarre if these two characters had some major personality revelations caused by the events of Firewatch, and somehow turned their life around at the end of the summer, whether it be a new romance between the two, or moving on to far better things in life (though it seems Delilah has a chance at moving in the path of the latter). What is written here is far more relatable and realistic.

I almost feel like it's kind of, I don't know, unrealistic in the way that it ended, specifically Delilah being unwilling to wait for Henry; I mean, both the logical and emotional perspective here almost demands that they meet -- not that they fall in love and run away together. You just spent months navigating your way through an instance of mystery, paranoia, and maybe (most probably) had a "thing" with each other, asked about each others lives, and (in theory) cared for the other person in some way that, even if it's not romantic, its respectful. Yet when the chips were down, Delilah up and leaves for what seems like no reason other than someone didn't model her character, or unfulfilling "reasons."

I expected more to be revealed about Delilah's character; her story seemed like it was only half there, waiting to be explored, and that Henry and her could connect a bit more instead of running around like chickens with their head cut off. I thought the mystery of the game was well done, but in hindsight, had the game been about nothing more than the two cleaning up trash and stomping out fires while exploring their fears of "real life" together, that probably would have elevated this game quite a bit for me. As it stands, the real star of the show gets cut unreasonably short, and the mystery steals the thunder to its uneventful end where characters magically forget the other existed.

Frankly, the most intimate moment (in my story, anyway) was cut short with a fade-to-black when Henry asks what she would do if she were with him. Maybe it was just a bunch of phone sex, or maybe it would have been an interesting conversation to sit in on. Either way, I feel like I missed out on something.

I don't dislike the game at all. In fact, I had fun, even though it was pretty short (~3 hours), but I do feel like most parts of it can be stamped "missed opportunity" -- it's not that there's a flat ending, it's that there's, well, no ending, and if Delilah really cared at all about Henry, as she inferred, she'd have been around until the end -- and I refuse to believe the answer is "Oh, well, Delilah is really just a selfish bitch who gets drunk and hits on dudes."

And if that is the answer, what a waste.

SRTtoZ

I almost feel like it's kind of, I don't know, unrealistic in the way that it ended, specifically Delilah being unwilling to wait for Henry; I mean, both the logical and emotional perspective here almost demands that they meet -- not that they fall in love and run away together. You just spent months navigating your way through an instance of mystery, paranoia, and maybe (most probably) had a "thing" with each other, asked about each others lives, and (in theory) cared for the other person in some way that, even if it's not romantic, its respectful. Yet when the chips were down, Delilah up and leaves for what seems like no reason other than someone didn't model her character, or unfulfilling "reasons."

I expected more to be revealed about Delilah's character; her story seemed like it was only half there, waiting to be explored, and that Henry and her could connect a bit more instead of running around like chickens with their head cut off. I thought the mystery of the game was well done, but in hindsight, had the game been about nothing more than the two cleaning up trash and stomping out fires while exploring their fears of "real life" together, that probably would have elevated this game quite a bit for me. As it stands, the real star of the show gets cut unreasonably short, and the mystery steals the thunder to its uneventful end where characters magically forget the other existed.

Frankly, the most intimate moment (in my story, anyway) was cut short with a fade-to-black when Henry asks what she would do if she were with him. Maybe it was just a bunch of phone sex, or maybe it would have been an interesting conversation to sit in on. Either way, I feel like I missed out on something.

I don't dislike the game at all. In fact, I had fun, even though it was pretty short (~3 hours), but I do feel like most parts of it can be stamped "missed opportunity" -- it's not that there's a flat ending, it's that there's, well, no ending, and if Delilah really cared at all about Henry, as she inferred, she'd have been around until the end -- and I refuse to believe the answer is "Oh, well, Delilah is really just a selfish bitch who gets drunk and hits on dudes."

And if that is the answer, what a waste.

Exactly. I thought there was even going to be a twist at the end after she doesn't show up because towards the end she started to seem almost emotionless compared to the sympathetic awesome personality she was for the first 96.544% of the game. Even her reaction when he asks her to wait (at least thats what I asked) was like, you really want me to wait? Like is it that crazy that he wants to meet the girl he's been talking to and divulging every bit of his personal life 24/7 for 2+ months? Seriously, the only thing I can think why its written that way is because they didnt want to go through the trouble of creating a character model and animating it and thinking of "okay now what happens after they meet?". What a flat unrealistic ending in every way.

Frologic

I was satisfied with the ending. It was nice to have it all grounded in reality. Would have been nice if the dad and son had more character development, it just sort of gets thrown at you at the end and felt slightly tacked on, but overall I enjoyed the journey.

I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed

TTG

So everything is just a big elaborate prank by Ned because why exactly?

He was trying to make it big as a youtuber. Didn't you watch the post credits reveal where he was running after Henry with a camera yelling, "it's just a prank bro"?

ultrazilla

Gold Member
PC version here.

What I found enjoyable is that it wasn't a "shoot everything in the face/murder everything" game.

I found the lack of violence refreshing. So nice seeing an elk and not harpooning the poor son of a bitch through the heart!

The beginning with the story, music, dialog branching....just amazing. Them feels! Someone mentioned "Up!" and I agree. It was really well done.

Kudos to Campo Santo for the experience you gave me. You were able to show that it is possible to break down the typical gaming conventions nowadays regarding characterization, not using graphic violence to "advance" the story or be the main "gameplay" element or using supernatural/otherworldly plot devices as the main story.

It's 3 am and I've been up all day so my thoughts may seem a bit wandering but I wanted to chime in since I know the developers are reading this thread(Chris Remo...Shacknews fame at one time, right?)

This 44 year old gamer appreciates what you've given us with "Firewatch". I look forward to future Campo Santo productions! :)

Matush

It was real reasearch experiment on deers by students iirc. You can find one dead deer with tracker in 4th/5th act.

akira28

ok good. now I don't have to spend money on this game.

I'm glad GAF played this, so I didn't have to!

walking around the woods, stumbling upon a murder mystery, and chatting with some girl and never getting to meet her? I would have been pissed. But this is art.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
It just occurred to me that there was a missed opportunity for a Windam Earle gag by having Ned show up in the background in a stitched together deer costume somewhere that the player couldn't reach him even if he tried.

I enjoyed the game, but the plotting in this was pretty messy. I honestly wish they had never bothered with the thriller and mystery stuff that was poorly executed. I would have enjoyed a less "eventful" story focused just on the two main characters more than this.

Matush

Also what was the reason behind skis and broken snowmobiles in the pond? Just for shit and giggles?

I have to say I was very dissapointed by the game, it was in my Top 10 most anticipaited games of 2016 but at the end, it was flat. I absolutly loved first 2/3 acts of the game, but as soon as they starting with Ned and his son mystery it went to shit. I couldnt care less about any of them, even though I've read every letter from caches.

Top Bottom