• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First DMC4 review

Xater

sprocket said:
or none at all ala ME. Id rather install and have faster load times.

I wouldn't count on that. Maye the installing is way around long load times because of the BD use? Have we actually ever seen or heard anything about the length of 360 load times? They were not even mentioned in the Gamepro review so I guess it's a non issue.

Piper Az

Pug said:
Installation is required on the PS3.

OK. So installation is required for PS3. It's not required for the 360 (or is there not even an option to install for the 360?). I wonder why the PS3 requires it.

RavenFox

Banned
You people are actually complaining about HDD space on PS3? Your posting so I assume your using a PC. What do you do when you need more space on your PC? Its the same fucking thing on PS3. Talk about cry babies. Your guys don't derserve to play this game.

dionysus said:
Looks like I will be upgrading my 20G ps3!

Good man.

Borys said:
25 minutes to install 5GB?

Seems kinda... long?

Do your remember COD2 if you didn't have a DVD drive? Or any other huge game for that matter that requires chunks of HDD space.

Xater said:
I wouldn't count on that. Maye the installing is way around long load times because of the BD use? Have we actually ever seen or heard anything about the length of 360 load times? They were not even mentioned in the Gamepro review so I guess it's a non issue.

"Long load times because of the BD" use is a non issue as well. This is just another case of devs using the easier/faster route with HDD caching.

Belgorim

85 is only a good score for a multiplatform game.

Looks like I will definately pick this up when I can get it for a good price (ie. not 699 sek
*more than 100 USD*
)

Dave1988

Piper Az said:
OK. So installation is required for PS3. It's not required for the 360 (or is there not even an option to install for the 360?). I wonder why the PS3 requires it.

Again, PS3 - NO load times, Xbox360 - 4-5 seconds.

Pug

No option on the 360, it will use the HD to cache. The BR drive is probably to slow to do this or it required as massive rewrite of the code for it work effectively.

angelfly

Piper Az said:

The is no install option on the 360 version.

Xater

Metalmurphy said:
"Long load times because of the BD" use is a non issue as well. This is just another case of devs using the easier/faster route with HDD caching.

I know. It's just the all the people saying that the 360 will of cours enow have horrendous loding times which I guess will be totally wrong or it woulf have been mentionend in the review. The gamepro guys usually mention something like that.

Foil

Danne-Danger said:
Wha? Are we hating on devs for using the HDD now? :/

No, we're hating on them for forcing you to waste 5GB of HDD space just to play the fucking game. That's ridiculous. Install should be optional, not required.

kassatsu

Banned
Piper Az said:
Because every PS3 is guaranteed to have a hard drive?

Ryu1999

Pug said:
No option on the 360, it will use the HD to cache. The BR drive is probably to slow to do this or it required as massive rewrite of the code for it work effectively.

OR maybe its because hard drives are standard on the PS3? :rolleyes:

h3ro

I can't believe people are complaining about installing this game on their HD! Delete some old Demos or something...

Also, If I were a 360 only owner (I own both), I would hate not being able to get rid of load times, at least give us the OPTION Capcom!

Its always a double edged sword.. either we bitch about the load times (see Portal for PS3, which doesn't use the HD and people bitch about not being able to install the game and long load times) or now here with DMC where people complain about having to deal with a one time install and having to delete their Kane and Lynch demo to install this game...

Xater said:
I know. It's just the all the people saying that the 360 will of cours enow have horrendous loding times which I guess will be totally wrong or it woulf have been mentionend in the review. The gamepro guys usually mention something like that.

Well maybe it hadn't finished loading by the time they had finished the review of the PS3 version!!?!??!?!?!?!!!

Dave1988

Xater said:
FYI they ay that there ar eno real optical differences but the PS3 version has more flockering shados and less anti aliasing.

Well guess I'm gonna get the 360 version now it's also 8€ cheaper. :D

Where did you read this? I've read the whole article and didn't see this mentioned.

Jeff-DSA

I'm so sick of the PS3 install bull. Even after "installing" Uncharted it still has a longer than average boot up time. I hate waiting forever while a game installs. I swear, it took me about 10 minutes to get into Heavenly Sword when I rented it after it updated, installed, and finally got through the startup screens.

What's the deal with this? Is this developer laziness, or is it something inherit in the PS3 that requires this install runaround? I'm genuinely curious, so take it as a real question, not a trolling attempt.

RavenFox

Banned
Foil said:
No, we're hating on them for forcing you to waste 5GB of HDD space just to play the fucking game. That's ridiculous. Install should be optional, not required.
Then go cry a river. Welcome to proper gaming. The HDD is faster than your optical drive for these things. Why not use a great feature when it is standard in EVERY system?

Jeff-DSA said:
I'm so sick of the PS3 install bull. Even after "installing" Uncharted it still has a longer than average boot up time. I hate waiting forever while a game installs. I swear, it took me about 10 minutes to get into Heavenly Sword when I rented it after it updated, installed, and finally got through the startup screens.

What's the deal with this? Is this developer laziness, or is it something inherit in the PS3 that requires this install runaround? I'm genuinely curious, so take it as a real question, not a trolling attempt.
Streaming vs Non Streaming. DMC4 back track game..yes? HDD install- the devs wanted to use a systems strength for no loads? We are now crying about this? A one time install for a better gameplay experience? Troll or not this argument is ridiculous when anyone here with a PC has endured this if they have been gaming as long as I have.

Pug

Ryu1999, I was trying to explain why the option isn't available. I'm not laying into an install.

Piper Az

kassatsu said:
Because every PS3 is guaranteed to have a hard drive?

If that's the case, there should at least be an installation option for the 360s (premiums, elites, arcades with HDDs). The installation need is a non-issue for the PS3; I don't see the hate for this.

tanod

when is my burrito
Jeff-DSA said:

Uncharted doesn't have any installation.

Oblivion on PS3 has a 4.4GB install that takes between 10 and 15 minutes.

Also, the OS for PS3 is Linux-based so there is some moving around of files that sometimes needs to happen before it can install/move/copy data. Linux doesn't fragment its files like the Windows OS does.

Ganondorfo

How come that the german gamepro has a review of dmc4 and 1up/ign/egm/game informer/gamespot don't?

The game isn't out yet...

FFChris

Jeff-DSA said:

I think it has something to do with the slow reading speed of the Blu-ray.

sinnergy

I also would rather have seen a option not to install. Some won't have enough space and need to delete stuff, and want to play without deleting right out of the box, but you have to wait for the install to en 18 mins...
Not that I am against installs.. but I like options.

Kinda lame imo.
I played RR7 for the first time without install and installed when I was eating. At least I could check out the game, without install.

Banned
Dave1988 said:
Again, PS3 - NO load times, Xbox360 - 4-5 seconds.
I shall be counting the load screens on the 360 version - if there are less than 300 of them (going by the longer 5 seconds/load) then it isn't worth it, assuming it takes 25 mins to install.

h3ro said:
I can't believe people are complaining about installing this game on their HD! Delete some old Demos or something...
What if all games start requiring 5GB installs on PS3? If you've got a 20GB machine, that means you can only have 3 games on at any one time, and playing something else means you have to wait another 25 minutes or so.

ZeroTolerance

Piper Az said:

Because there is no loading ?

Xater

Dave1988 said:
Where did you read this? I've read the whole article and didn't see this mentioned.

Dude it's on the last page:

Die Schatten der Umgebungsobjekte und Hauptdarsteller wirken im Vergleich zur Restoptik grob aufgelöst und flimmern (besonders auf der PS3) recht stark. Abgesehen vom stärkeren Kantenflimmern bei der PS3-Version gibt es in optischer Hinsicht keine nennenswerten Unterschiede zwischen den beiden Fassungen.

Kantenflimmer = Aliasing

->the PS3 version has less anti aliasing.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Well after seeing the dmc3 review i guess this score is fair enough. Didn't see any comments about game length, did they comment on that?

Piper Az

FFChris said:
I think it has something to do with the slow reading speed of the Blu-ray.

I see. I would have liked to have options to install or not install for both the PS3 and 360.

Jeff-DSA said:

Yes, goddamn those often occurring and horribly annoying load-times in Uncharted. I remember when... actually, I don't remember that.

andrewfee said:
I shall be counting the load screens on the 360 version - if there are less than 300 of them (going by the longer 5 seconds/load) then it isn't worth it, assuming it takes 25 mins to install.

Yeah, that's how this should be counted. There isn't a rolleyes.gif large enough to do this justice.

Jeff-DSA said:
I'm so sick of the PS3 install bull. Even after "installing" Uncharted it still has a longer than average boot up time. I hate waiting forever while a game installs.

It might have this longer than average boot up time (are we counting that as installs now?), but that's all you're going to see of that for the rest of the game. Of all the games to bitch about.

Jeff-DSA

RavenFox said:
Streaming vs Non Streaming. DMC4 back track game..yes? HDD install- the devs wanted to use a systems strength for no loads? We are now crying about this? A one time install for a better gameplay experience? Troll or not this argument is ridiculous when anyone here with a PC has endured this if they have been gaming as long as I have.

Uh, but the PS3 is a console, right? That's why it irks me. We've never had to deal with install times on consoles before, and it's really jarring. With Heavenly Sword I was blown away by the process. It was fine after the fact, but kinda silly all the same.

EDIT: And what happens when the hard drive is full? 5GB is a huge chunk for 20GB owners...heck, it's a big dent for us 60GB owners too.

Xater

FootNinja said:
Well after seeing the dmc3 review i guess this score is fair enough. Didn't see any comments about game length, did they comment on that?

It should be about 12 hours long, basically standard DMC length.

Top Bottom