• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First DMC4 review

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
as long as there is some dramatic orchestral music and profound quotes from world war 2 generals during install i'm cool with it

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
andrewfee said:
How can you say that? Have you even played the game?

You're part of the problem. It's not like 85 is even close to a low score.

*sigh*

you did see the part where I said It isn't even out yet...also I do care for scores like most people so thats why I asked if that was good. now the part saying it should be higher is me talking out my ass for the love of the DMC4 after all the footage we saw. lol. so sir you are the problem.

Jeff-DSA said:
Uh, but the PS3 is a console, right? That's why it irks me. We've never had to deal with install times on consoles before, and it's really jarring. With Heavenly Sword I was blown away by the process. It was fine after the fact, but kinda silly all the same.

EDIT: And what happens when the hard drive is full? 5GB is a huge chunk for 20GB owners...heck, it's a big dent for us 60GB owners too.

But you are talking about boot-up times as installs, so no wonder it "irks" you. There's a longer initial boot-up for the sake of never having to present another load screen throughout the entire game. Did you expect that to just happen, at no cost?

NekoFever

I really don't know which one to get. It sounds like the PS3 version is going to be marginally better but it's £10-12 more (depending on whether I go for standard or special edition) for no apparent reason...

Jeff-DSA

AltogetherAndrews said:
But you are talking about boot-up times as installs, so no wonder it "irks" you. There's a longer initial boot-up for the sake of never having to present another load screen throughout the entire game. Did you expect that to just happen, at no cost?

No, I was just confused about Uncharted. Never mind that comment. I was sure about Heavenly Sword taking a while, but now I'm remembering that Uncharted didn't have an install.

FFChris

NekoFever said:
I really don't know which one to get. It sounds like the PS3 version is going to be marginally better but it's £10-12 more (depending on whether I go for standard or special edition) for no apparent reason...

Huh?

Surely there is a UK store that does them the same price as the 360 version?

Pug

It depends if worried about short load time or AA. If your worried about neither the 360 version is £10 cheaper.

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Yeah, that's how this should be counted. There isn't a rolleyes.gif large enough to do this justice.
Why should there be a required 25 minute install if you're not going to hit 25 minutes of load times without it? That's exactly what should be counted.

Steroyd said:
I'm reading this thread again.

Is Neogaf REALLY bitchin about the initial install...REALLY?

REALLY?!

Bitching about the install OR the 360 having 5 second load times is equally retarded. Should really expect that by now though.

Pug

Because the 25 minutes doesn't affect the game when palying. Saying that we have yet to find out how long the laods times are, if they are 1-2 secs its not problem on the 306 either.

Obaid

Banned
Steroyd said:

REALLY?!

pc gaming is dead as you can see :D how much did stranglehold installed on your hdd ???

andrewfee said:
Why should there be a required 25 minute install if you're not going to hit 25 minutes of load times without it? That's exactly what should be counted.

People were joking about someone doing this in another thread, I really can't believe someone is actually going to do it though. It's a DMC game in the long run, a game that's built for replayability so even if it doesn't equal up to 25m of install on 1 run it will on the runs afterwards. Along with that when you're doing those speed runs or just playing around with combos, not having any loadtimes when you exit an area will be a good thing.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jeff-DSA said:
No, I was just confused about Uncharted. Never mind that comment. I was sure about Heavenly Sword taking a while, but now I'm remembering that Uncharted didn't have an install.
Uncharted does something more clever that no other game has done yet on PS3, or maybe anywhere else. They have a 2GB swap file there and use it all the time, but creation of it is completely transparent, there are no install times ever, and it exists only while the game is running. How do they do it, I have no clue, though.

In any case, are any of you who are bothered by 20-30min install time (to get a load free game that you will play for hours) also bothered that you have to spend time to go to the store and buy the game, and then get back home? Is eating a lunch or posting on GAF while the game is installing an option for any of you?

Steroyd said:

REALLY?!

Well, to be fair, what else is there to bitch about? It's not an exclusive, looks the same on both platforms (this will be fetured in future threads with zoomed-in screenshots of pillars in the distance), it's on PC as well, soon to be released, 60FPS, good score etc.

We NEED something goddamnit.

Xater

angelfly said:
People are saying the 360 version is cheaper will that be the in all regions?

It is here in Germany and apprently the UK too. For once we Euros don't get fucked. :lol

NekoFever

FFChris said:
Huh?

Surely there is a UK store that does them the same price as the 360 version?
Just going on special edition pricing:

Amazon - £32.99 vs £39.99
Game - £34.99 vs £44.99
Gameplay - £32.99 vs £44.99
Play - £29.99 vs £39.99

(Gamestation and Shopto only have standard editions with placeholder art at the moment)

Seems like it's a standard thing...

andrewfee said:

Except during the load times in game in between areas, you have to sit there and wait. For this 15-25 min initial install you can either switch your video input back to TV or go do something else.

Kyoufu

NekoFever said:

Its all about the controller preference. Personally, Dualshock 3 is perfect for action games.

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
People were joking about someone doing this in another thread, I really can't believe someone is actually going to do it though. It's a DMC game in the long run, a game that's built for replayability so even if it doesn't equal up to 25m of install on 1 run it will on the runs afterwards. Along with that when you're doing those speed runs or just playing around with combos, not having any loadtimes when you exit an area will be a good thing.
Unless you have a 20GB PS3 and more than three games that require installs, then you could be going through a 25 minute install more than once.

Requiring you to have 5GB installed is ridiculous. I just want to stick in my game and play it.

why do people always have to find some reason to knock the ps3 version of a game?

from the 1up show preview, they thought the ps3 version played smoother and combat was easier because of the controller.

Jeff-DSA

I guess it's a non-issue for me in the end because I'll be going with the 360 version. The better controller (tighter sticks, rumble, and more solid buttons) and, I'll admit it, Achievements push it over the top for me. I would have liked to have seen an even experience on both platforms, however.

Minsc

Gold Member
Is there any ACTUAL confirmation of the load times?

I mean, PC games have had HD install for years, and that doesn't mean there aren't load times, infact, load times can still be 20 seconds long with a hard drive install.

Just saying, I haven't seen any confirmation of load times being nil on the PS3 and 5 seconds on the 360.

If the above is true, that should mean there's no load times on the PC either, and I'm happy with that.

RE4's load times on the Gamecube & Wii were very fast (under 3 seconds) and didn't bother me the slightest, and it had no installing.

andrewfee said:
Requiring you to have 5GB installed is ridiculous. I just want to stick in my game and play it.

Then get the 360 version if you're that hard up to just stick in your game and play it. But 25m to most people isn't a big deal. You get it done and then don't have to worry about load times whenever you play the game from then on. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

h3ro

Jeff-DSA said:
I guess it's a non-issue for me in the end because I'll be going with the 360 version. The better controller (tighter sticks, rumble, and more solid buttons) and, I'll admit it, Achievements push it over the top for me. I would have liked to have seen an even experience on both platforms, however.

I've read that DMC is difficult/uncomfortable with the 360 controller due to using the Bumper buttons for enemy lock-on... also, I believe this game supports DualShock 3 out of the box...

I think multi-plat releases are pretty much going to be even from now on.. that won't stop GAF from turning them into mountains though...

Kyoufu

Jeff-DSA said:

I'm beginning to think you're just trolling now.

PS3 version has Achievements, Rumble and the controller is better than the 360's for this type of game

I'm questioning your motives here. You claimed Uncharted has an install and bitched about the loading times, when there isn't any.

FFChris

NekoFever said:
Just going on special edition pricing:

Amazon - £32.99 vs £39.99
Game - £34.99 vs £44.99
Gameplay - £32.99 vs £44.99
Play - £29.99 vs £39.99

(Gamestation and Shopto only have standard editions with placeholder art at the moment)

Seems like it's a standard thing...

That's strange.

Thanks for the links though, just pre-ordered the limited edition from Play.

Steroyd said:
Of course they don't, that'll just condemn the Core owners.

REALLY Neogaf...REALLY!?

Not for that reason, as it could have been optional. But there is probably something in their 306 policy about it.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Francias Castiglione said:
4-5 load times are really that unbearable? Did I miss an ADHD epidemic?

nope not unbearable, but if the alternative is no load times, I'll take that instead.

edit: So the Ps3 will online achievements? sweet, not that important to me, but i guess this will sway some people. So i guess the PS3 achievements will be the same as those on the 360. Now this is how you do multi-platform games :D

Ps3 version for me, no loadtimes and better controller.

RavenFox

Banned
andrewfee said:
Unless you have a 20GB PS3 and more than three games that require installs, then you could be going through a 25 minute install more than once.

Then get a job or stop being cheap then think about it and realize...hey I can upgrade my drive to a much bigger size for cheap no hassle. You have alot of choices with PS3. Thank goodness your voice holds no weight in the halls of capcom.

Steroyd

Jeff-DSA said:

There's achievements in the PS3 version both versions ARE even... did you just copy and paste that reply?

tanod

when is my burrito
Marconelly said:
Uncharted does something more clever that no other game has done yet on PS3, or maybe anywhere else. They have a 2GB swap file there and use it all the time, but creation of it is completely transparent, there are no install times ever, and it exists only while the game is running. How do they do it, I have no clue, though.

In any case, are any of you who are bothered by 20-30min install time (to get a load free game that you will play for hours) also bothered that you have to spend time to go to the store and buy the game, and then get back home? Is eating a lunch or posting on GAF while the game is installing an option for any of you?

FYI: That's 2 MB.

Xater

Steroyd said:
There's achievements in the PS3 version both versions ARE even... did you just copy and paste that reply?

No ther is more aliasing and flickering shadows on the PS3. So they are not equal. :lol

cedric69

RavenFox said:
Then go cry a river. Welcome to proper gaming. The HDD is faster than your optical drive for these things. Why not use a great feature when it is standard in EVERY system?
:lol No, seriously :lol

What the fuck is this shit? Now being forced to sit in front of the TV is proper console gaming?

McLovin

Wait.. I was gonna rent this game. So... does this mean I have it until I delete the data? Or are they gonna require you to put the disc in to play?
edit- who the hell cares if it has a 25 minute install. You waited a year + to play this game you're gonna tell me you cant wait 25 minutes?! Install and change inputs on your tv.. watch Chowder or something. Hell go on neogaf for 25 minutes. Its not that big a deal. Its a good trade off considering your getting no load times, a better frame rate, and better controls(compared to the 360)

besada

Banned
Hmm, which version to buy. PS3 L1/R1 buttons are perfect for this, but the L2/R2 buttons are an abomination. No load times, versus flickering shadows (assuming this is correct), versus a 5 gig install, versus Achievements/achievements...

What do the L2/R2 buttons do?

Xater

McLovin said:
Wait.. I was gonna rent this game. So... does this mean I have it until I delete the data? Or are they gonna require you to put the disc in to play?

Of course you need the disc. As if those 4,8 gig are the whole game. :lol

@Besada: I am not pulling those graphical differences out of my ass they are mentioned in the review. I am german so I should know the language. :lol

tanod

when is my burrito
Minsc said:
If the above is true, that should mean there's no load times on the PC either, and I'm happy with that.

That's not necessarily true. Variations in processor speed (decompression), hard drive speed and cache size and available memory can all have an effect on PC load times.

The potential for no load times is there but it would depend on your system.

FFChris

neojubei said:
Ps3 version for me, no loadtimes and better controller.

Who would have thought. :lol

I'll take £10 cheaper, better AA, playing the game as soon as I put it in my console and the better controller.

But then again, I don't have a choice. =(

womfalcs3

Banned
Here I thought the installation was an optional feature. 5 GB is a lot... even if you have a 60-GB HDD as I do. After the OS, formatting, and the files I have stored now, I have about 40-GB left.

I figured it would be optional, and I could weather through the loading as I did the two last generations. I guess I could delete it after I'm done.

Top Bottom