• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First DMC4 review

cedric69 said:
:lol No, seriously :lol

What the fuck is this shit? Now being forced to sit in front of the TV is proper console gaming?

Does Dante jump out your TV and stick a gun to your head whenever this is installing? Otherwise i'm pretty sure you aren't forced to sit in front of your TV as it installs.

Kyoufu

besada said:
Hmm, which version to buy. PS3 L1/R1 buttons are perfect for this, but the L2/R2 buttons are an abomination. No load times, versus flickering shadows (assuming this is correct), versus a 5 gig install, versus Achievements/achievements...

What do the L2/R2 buttons do?

Same as DMC3, melee weapon/gun switch.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
andrewfee said:
Unless you have a 20GB PS3 and more than three games that require installs, then you could be going through a 25 minute install more than once.

Requiring you to have 5GB installed is ridiculous. I just want to stick in my game and play it.

You were never buying the PS3 version so don't kid yourself. Its like there isn't an otpion to DELETE the data after you finish the game and if you need more space you can buy a very cheap bigger harddrive.

MoxManiac

Laptop drives ain't that cheap. If you want a drive that's worth it (= 100GB or over) it's going to be anywhere from $80-$150. Not worth it to me to shave a few seconds of load time, at least not right now.

Skilletor

cedric69 said:

What the fuck is this shit? Now being forced to sit in front of the TV is proper console gaming?

I can't go do something else while it installs? Good to know...

Banned
neojubei said:
You were never buying the PS3 version so don't kid yourself. Its like there isn't an otpion to DELETE the data after you finish the game and if you need more space you can buy a very cheap bigger harddrive.
If it didn't have a 25 minute load time, didn't require me to buy a new controller for rumble and looked the same, I probably would be buying the PS3 one.

I'm still tempted though - doesn't it have uncompressed audio?

Xater

andrewfee said:
If it didn't have a 25 minute load time, didn't require me to buy a new controller for rumble and looked the same, I probably would be buying the PS3 one.

Yes that's the case. More space on BD therefor they use uncompessed soud. If you have the sound system you should take that into consideration.

Yasser

Skilletor said:
I can't go do something else while it installs? Good to know...
isn't there supposed to be some recap cutscene of the previous dmc games while it installs? you can just watch that

RavenFox

Banned
cedric69 said:

No seriously stop posting those dumb ass emoticons. Any game with NO or hardly any load times is proper gaming. The closer that we are to that day I'll take it.

andrewfee said:

Of course it does.

Jeff-DSA

Kyoufu said:
I'm beginning to think you're just trolling now.

PS3 version has Achievements, Rumble and the controller is better than the 360's for this type of game

I'm questioning your motives here. You claimed Uncharted has an install and bitched about the loading times, when there isn't any.

Whatever. Quit being such an oversensitive defender.

I just read up a little bit on the controls and now I'm thinking that the bumpers might suck on the 360 controller as they're used for lock-on combat. PS3 Achievements don't mean much now, however, and I don't think many would argue in favor of them. I don't have a DS3, just a Sixaxis, so I'd still need to go to the 360 for rumble. The bumpers for lock on might kill my inclination for the 360 version though.

I already retracted the Uncharted comment, I was confused on that. It was Heavenly Sword with the long install.

GAF is arguing some weird shit nowadays. I can't imagine what it was like for you people to switch from cartridges to CDs.

Also, the game's still going to be amazing and, unless you have a really old RF-only TV, you can do other things while it installs. I'd imagine they did this install because it's based off of the PC architecture.

Banned
Xater said:
Yes that's the case. More space on BD therefor they use uncompessed soud. If you have the sound system you should take that into consideration.
Stupid question, but will I still be getting the uncompressed audio if I'm running in stereo? I know that I do with BluRay (PCM over analogue) but don't know if that applies to games or not.

I don't plan on playing in 7.1, I'd be using my GS1000s.

h3ro

andrewfee said:

Your acting like you have to wait 25 minutes EVERYTIME you start the game... Its a one time thing!! Jeez, stick the game in your PS3 and go make a few calls or something...

and yes, it does have uncompressed sound... :D

neojubei

andrewfee said:

Here are the DMC4 (PS3) details from famitsu

DETAILS
Devil May Cry 4 (PS3)
* HDD install is 4900MB.
* Save files are 3392KB.
* Some variety of PSN support.
* 5.1 LPCM audio.

I don't know if this means uncompressed.

edit: cool it does.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is ridiculous :lol

Put the fucking disk in the console and go eat a goddamn sandwich. Installs are great. Would you rather 25 minutes in one chunk at the beginning of the game where you can just do something else significant or would you rather have the 25 minute load dispersed into annoying 20 second chunks where the only thing you can do is twiddle your thumbs or touch yourself?

McLovin

No_Style said:
:( @ GAF for letting HDD "complaints" go on for 4 pages
When its the frame rate its a huge insane problem but when its not an issue on the ps3 version it has to be something else :(

Xater

andrewfee said:
Stupid question, but will I still be getting the uncompressed audio if I'm running in stereo? I know that I do with BluRay (PCM over analogue) but don't know if that applies to games or not.

I don't plan on playing in 7.1, I'd be using my GS1000s.

Ugh don#t ask me about those audio details. I am not that savy in that department. Maybe someone else knows this stuff.

ZeroTolerance

Y2Kev said:

Put the fucking disk in the console and go eat a goddamn sandwich. Installs are great. Would you rather 25 minutes in one chunk at the beginning of the game where you can just do something else significant or would you rather have the 25 minute load dispersed into annoying 20 second chunks where the only thing you can do is twiddle your thumbs or touch yourself?

This man speaks the truth.

Jeff-DSA

Y2Kev said:

The time is an issue, yes, but I think a lot of people are also upset by the 5GB of space used.

v0yce

Jeff-DSA said:
Whatever. Quit being such an oversensitive defender.

I just read up a little bit on the controls and now I'm thinking that the bumpers might suck on the 360 controller as they're used for lock-on combat. PS3 Achievements don't mean much now, however, and I don't think many would argue in favor of them. I don't have a DS3, just a Sixaxis, so I'd still need to go to the 360 for rumble. The bumpers for lock on might kill my inclination for the 360 version though.

I already retracted the Uncharted comment, I was confused on that. It was Heavenly Sword with the long install.

...what?

neojubei

FFChris said:
Well everyone gets to plan an awesome game, so we all win in the end!

Yea I want to plan this game too.. oh wait....j/k yea everyone gets to play this awesome game, I just wish there was a demo right now!!!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
One thing's for certain: don't bother trying totally awesome PC gaming, for the people whining about an install. We don't want you.

Assuming the PS3 version doesn't have screen tearing and I therefore buy it, I'll press "source" on my remote and use my PC while it's installing. Oh noes, world ending. On the X360 side, 5 second loads sound pretty damn short to me. Either way seems like a non-issue.

RavenFox

Banned
neojubei said:
Here are the DMC4 (PS3) details from famitsu

DETAILS
Devil May Cry 4 (PS3)
* HDD install is 4900MB.
* Save files are 3392KB.
* Some variety of PSN support.
* 5.1 LPCM audio.

I don't know if this means uncompressed.

edit: cool it does.

Uhmm yes Uncompressed.

edit: lol didnt see your edit.

ZeroTolerance said:
Another fucking pointless comments about this HDD install bullshit. Man will ya all just let it go ? Damn!
Why?

So we should then in future let go of "just putting the game disc into the console", and instead wait 20 minutes to play an game which we didnt play a while ago (and which had to be deleted from the disc for other games...)

Installing Games should be optional...

Y2Kev

Jeff-DSA said:
The time is an issue, yes, but I think a lot of people are also upset by the 5GB of space used.

The space concern is a legitimate one. If you don't have the space, I can only imagine how annoying it would be to come home and have to manage install partitions.

However, the PS3 does make this really, really easy and I can actually only think of like two other games that have installs at all. So, in the unfortunate event that you own a 20 GB PS3 and are playing Oblivion (I think this installs....maybe), Virtua Fighter 5, Heavenly Sword, and you import RGG Kenzan, and Devil May Cry at the same time, then I could see a problem.

Pug

It isn't 5s, no one knows the times, they weren't mentioned in the review so it suggest that they are not instrusive at all.

ZeroTolerance

Livin_Lovin said:
GAF is arguing some weird shit nowadays. I can't imagine what it was like for you people to switch from cartridges to CDs.

Also, the game's still going to be amazing and, unless you have a really old RF-only TV, you can do other things while it installs. I'd imagine they did this install because it's based off of the PC architecture.

Word Son.

FFChris

neojubei said:
Yea I want to plan this game too.. oh wait....j/k yea everyone gets to play this awesome game, I just wish there was a demo right now!!!

Dammit, too quick for my edit.

I won't be able to play the demo unfortunately, I expect loads of in depth impressions!

h3ro

Hellraizer said:
Why?

So we should then in future let go of "just putting the game disc into the console", and instead wait 20 minutes to play an game which we didnt play a while ago (and which had to be deleted from the disc for other games...)

IT'S A ONE TIME WAIT!! Go rub one out while it install for god's sake! :lol

Hellraizer said:
Why?

Don't ever PC game. Ever. Your little heart will break.

Maggot9

Banned
Y2Kev said:
The space concern is a legitimate one. If you don't have the space, I can only imagine how annoying it would be to come home and have to manage install partitions.

However, the PS3 does make this really, really easy and I can actually only think of like two other games that have installs at all. So, in the unfortunate event that you own a 20 GB PS3 and are playing Oblivion (I think this installs....maybe), Virtua Fighter 5, Heavenly Sword, and you import RGG Kenzan, and Devil May Cry at the same time, then I could see a problem.
Oblivion had a 4.5GB install

ps..do you ever log into your PSN?

h3ro said:
IT'S A ONE TIME WAIT!! Go rub one out while it install for god's sake! :lol
Damn, is reading such a problem?

As I said, should we accept this becoming a standard feature in the FUTURE? When I run out of space and get the desire to play an old game, then I should accept to wait about 20 minutes to play it?

Don't ever PC game. Ever. Your little heart will break.

One of the reasons I have stopped playing on a PC...

715tu2p.jpg

I have the complete booklet for both version, if someone want something...

Hellraizer said:

As I said, should we accept this becoming a standard feature in the FUTURE? When I run out of space and get the desire to play an old game, then I should accept to wait about 20 minutes to play it?

Just wondering, do you rip CDs into mp3s? Or download anything off of the internet? 20 minutes isn't even a proper episode of Scrubs.

RavenFox

Banned
Hellraizer said:

what do you think the next machine from Microsoft is going to do?

rockman zx said:
http://i3.tinypic.com/715tu2p.jpg[/MG]

I have the complete booklet for both version, if someone want something...[/QUOTE]
Hmm thats not bad at all.

Y2Kev

Maggot9 said:
Oblivion had a 4.5GB install

ps..do you ever log into your PSN?

I'm away from school for break and I didn't lug home the ps3. But I do when there's something to check out on PS3.

....yeah.

Half of this thread is insane or grasping at anything to undermine the obvious advantage of the PS3 version. A one-time installation that eliminates loading times is excellent. I would rather one long wait before I start teh game than put up with several shorter ones that break the flow of the game.

Livin_Lovin said:
Just wondering, do you rip CDs into mp3s? Or download anything off of the internet? 20 minutes isn't even a proper episode of Scrubs.
Yes and yes, however you cant compare a CD rip with a complete installation of a game, and my big concern is as I said, if this becomes a standard, then you will keep reinstalling a lot of games, when you run out of space (never had that problem with my music...)

I'm just concerned and absolutely not happy about such "features" on consoles and how this will look like in the future... ;)

what do you think the next machine from Microsoft is going to do?
Probably the same...unfortunately

Top Bottom