• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Final Fantasy 5 (smartphones) screenshots

Goli

Font is terrible, the rounded corners make it look cheap, and to top it off the buttons still have that variable colour hue that you see on the Sega options (not sure what that's called exactly, but I hate it - makes it look like a 90s powerpoint presentation).

Just about the only thing they got right is the dialogue box.
It's a gradient. And it's probably done that way so that it doesn't look and feel "heavy", also probably why the corners are rounded. If you think about it that was probably done so people focus more on the actual happenings on the screen and not the menus when they aren't using it.

Why are they so bad at this? It's gonna be even worse when they translate it with that miserable font they use in all their updates.
Isn't the font they use the standard iOS font? I imagine they use it since almost all their releases have a lot of languages in it and that one is versatile enough to be able to used in all of them.

Not even the actual Amano stuff. But yeah, I like the old chibi style because it's nostalgic. This new stuff where the characters all look like they're standing forward on tiptoes and thrusting their chests as far forward as possible while thrusting their shoulders back as far as possible looks completely awful. It's just bizarre that they used that stance as the basis for their character model. Issues with color, shading, and form merely compound the problem.
FF sprites have pretty much always used that stance, it just wasn't as apparent back then because of their resolution.

I wasn't going to enter the thread to see the pics, but at the last second I shrugged and thought "how can they possibly mess up FFV?"

Trogdor1123

I actually dont think its that bad myself. I think it should have been moved to Vita, or maybe the 3DS, and actually done right but for the most part its not that bad.

The funniest thing is pixel art is (was) the hip fad among indie and smartphone game developers.

They probably could have had more support for doing zero work on the game and slapping an emulated version of the SFC game on the App Store.

Crap out some buzzwords like "Hey! Indie! Oldschool! Retro! Hip! Hipster! Chiptune! Buy This!"

Sure they'd strain a bit more to ask $20 for it, but it'd look less gross.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Yikes, everything clashes horribly. Don't do this to FFVI.

Hell, it'd probably have been better if they repurposed the Theatrhyhm style for this. At least that had some character to it.

Anyways, FFV looks gorgeous on a GB Micro.

KiTA

I like it, but then again, I really like FFD's style too. It looks great on my Nexus 7. Is this getting a simultaneous JP/US release, or are we going to have to wait a bit?

Edit:

Can't wait for FF6, but my question is: Why has Square Enix been ignoring Dragon Quest for the smartphone treatment? I'd do unholy things to small animals for an Android remake of DQ3, for example.

Eusis

It kinda pisses me off they never seem to get that people may like those old, pixelated visuals, and give a damn option to toggle. Actually no, they must acknowledge it on some level because All The Brave is basically a pixel art orgy, yet something like FF Dimensions gets a hideous RPGMaker overhaul and no toggle, and I'm betting this is the same.

Well, at least the portraits in dialogue look great, even if they'd mesh badly with a pixelated look. And it wouldn't be so bad if they put more of a budget into this, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll do a proper update for 3DS or Vita then port it back to mobile.

I think everything looks pretty nice. The character sprite though... should've done it like FFIV:CC. But I'd stick w emulator/gba. Save money and I dont like my thumb blocking half the screen.

What in the fuck!?

Not looking forward to Final Fantasy 6 now... What are they thinking?? Pixel art is hip, why wouldn't they capitalize on it. Oh right, because their head is in the sand. Seems like corporate decisions being made with no ear to the ground.

I think hi res, non-pixelated sprites are good but it looks like they just did one of those smoother filters that you can turn on in an emulator. And the sad thing is that they didnt. They put in some work and deliberately made those sprites look shitty.

bluemax

Banned
The only thing I don't really like is how much longer the characters arms than the rest of them. The proportions seem off. I had the same issue with Dimensions.

Zukuu

Banned
I still wonder how a company comes up with the idea to pay people to make their game worse. Why do they do that?

Mael

I like it, but then again, I really like FFD's style too. It looks great on my Nexus 7. Is this getting a simultaneous JP/US release, or are we going to have to wait a bit?

Edit:

Can't wait for FF6, but my question is: Why has Square Enix been ignoring Dragon Quest for the smartphone treatment? I'd do unholy things to small animals for an Android remake of DQ3, for example.

Horii cares about DQ way more than Square Enix who gives not a single fuck about any of their properties.

Tizoc

Eh Japan'll like it.

In that first screenshot on Tycoon Castle...can anyone else notice Leina's breasts?

Arthea

I wasn't going to enter the thread to see the pics, but at the last second I shrugged and thought "how can they possibly mess up FFV?".

Exactly my thoughts
We still underestimate SE :(

My last hope is that they'll treat FFVI better. Very tiny, little, practically invisible hope.

If they wanna ruin the art style, could they at the very least modernize the old silly 'whacking' animations too?

Not entirely sure how though.

TriAceJP

The Amano art is very nice.

The over world looks like a fan made RPG Maker game.

Otherwise, whatever. It's for phones, who cares?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Probably not remixed but definitely won't sound exactly the same as it's not the same sort of sound chip between the SNES and IoS.

We shall see if this version will add to my 140+ CotBB collection.

Otherwise, whatever. It's for phones, who cares?

Everyone hoping for a remake. Preferably for 3DS.

I'll take the sprites and artwork when they come up though so I still win.

Manu

This right here:

evkzLWD.jpg

Is the only screenshot that looks bad and cheap imo. The rest look fine.

This right here:

evkzLWD.jpg

Is the only screenshot that looks bad and cheap imo. The rest look fine.

If you told me that was an RPG Maker game made by a couple of amateurs, I would have completely believed you. It's just not cohesive in its design.

jaxword

Cause one of the highest cultural and artistic point of videogame history will be mainstreamed as a cheap rpg with photoshop buttons and facebook sprites.

"Mainstreamed"? Really? That's as bad as saying music is only good when you haven't heard about it, they're totally underground. We're seriously saying a 20 year old game, that is mainly replayed by older gamers, is going to be "mainstreamed" because it'll be ported to phones? Would you prefer it never get remade and fall to obscurity as gamers age and consoles die?

FF6 was rereleased poorly twice before. PSX was terrible, GBA had inferior music, etc. Did those ruin FF6 forever and mainstream it?

Mael

"Mainstreamed"? Really? That's as bad as saying music is only good when you haven't heard about it, they're totally underground. We're seriously saying a 20 year old game, that is mainly replayed by older gamers, is going to be "mainstreamed" because it'll be ported to phones? Would you prefer it never get remade and fall to obscurity as gamers age and consoles die?

FF6 was rereleased poorly twice before. PSX was terrible, GBA had inferior music, etc. Did those ruin FF6 forever and mainstream it?

I like how you compare what was basically ports made to run on the hardware that really kept pretty close to the original products to a total soul less facelift that does its best to transform whatever it touches into a mess of incoherent crap.
Next you'll tell us how the 1rst US dub of One Piece is really not that bad, right?

orioto

Good Art™

It's not the fact that they are mainstreamed, it's the way they are, if you understood my problem :)

And FFVI is reallly not the average "great" rpg/game or whatsoever.. It's something pretty special and unique in game history.

Ashodin

Two things. What the hell have they done to my ffv.

Why is Faris' sprite looking like a girl. She's supposed to look like a man. Feminine hair, long eyelashes?? Red Scarlet is rolling in her grave.

Top Bottom