• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Final Fantasy 5 (smartphones) screenshots

jaxword

It's not the fact that they are mainstreamed, it's the way they are, if you understood my problem :)

And FFVI is reallly not the average "great" rpg/game or whatsoever.. It's something pretty special and unique in game history.

That's fine that you enjoy and love it so much, but honestly, yet another re-release doesn't change your original experience. Why would it?

You could just ignore any release beyond your original SNES.

See, if this brings in new gamers who are pretty much phone-only, then I say more power to them; they need all the profit and audiences they can get. It changes nothing about the original. In fact, it's rather elitist to imply that the "original" experiences are somehow superior to anyone's who just played the remakes; you must agree there.

Two things. What the hell have they done to my ffv.

Why is Faris' sprite looking like a girl. She's supposed to look like a man. Feminine hair, long eyelashes?? Red Scarlet is rolling in her grave.

You really think so? Sometimes I wonder if Amano and Sakaguchi were having a meta-joke about feminine characters all along.

Mael

ff6 on touch controls.

fighting game motions gonna suck.

probably will be replaced by fruit ninja minigame.

That's probably the worst part with the whole ports nonsense from SquareEnix.
They have enough resources to make a really good game that use the platform well and all but instead they go the lazy route.
It's even worse now because the level of effort put into it is having negative effects on the final products.
I don't care anymore though I mostly don't buy their product anyway.
Before they got my money on anything they released, now I nearly didn't even buy Theatrythm and KH (and I have them all till now).
They can go butcher FFVI for all I care, I still got my working versions anyway.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Amano draws everyone as a girl though except for GILGAMESH and villain people unless said villain people are girls.

orioto

Good Art™
That's fine that you enjoy and love it so much, but honestly, yet another re-release doesn't change your original experience. Why would it?

You could just ignore any release beyond your original SNES.

See, if this brings in new gamers who are pretty much phone-only, then I say more power to them; they need all the profit and audiences they can get. It changes nothing about the original. In fact, I think it's rather elitist to imply that the "original" experiences are somehow superior to anyone who plays the remakes; you must agree there.

No i don't.
Are we doing that for movies ?
Why are we discussing that.. Porting, making the game available for new audiences, of course why not. But why should it be done with no respect regarding the original content ? Is that something inevitable that we have to accept with no complains ?

Mael

See, if this brings in new gamers who are pretty much phone-only, then I say more power to them; they need all the profit and audiences they can get. It changes nothing about the original. In fact, it's rather elitist to imply that the "original" experiences are somehow superior to anyone's who just played the remakes; you must agree there.

We'll make an analogy here, are you ok with George Lucas's treatment of Star Wars?

jaxword

No i don't.
Are we doing that for movies ?
Why are we discussing that.. Porting, making the game available for new audiences, of course why not. But why should it be done with no respect regarding the original content ? Is that something inevitable that we have to accept with no complains ?

You don't have to accept it, though. That's the point; you can ignore it and not buy it, as could all old-school gamers, right? Why does it bother you that new gamers would be playing the remade versions?

leadbelly

Banned
lol

I was just talking about Square-Enix's newly released mobile titles. What gets me is they charge like 10X the price of most games on Google Play. Looking at those screenshots I don't know how they can justify it. Gameloft may only make clones of popular console titles, but in terms of production values, they shit all over Square-Enix's attempts. Gameloft make some of the best looking games on mobile. They do make a lot of clones, but you have to say, they have become rather good at it.

Final Fantasy 3 is £11 on Google Play.

orioto

Good Art™
You don't have to accept it, though. That's the point; you can ignore it and not buy it, as could all old-school gamers, right? Why does it bother you that new gamers would be playing the remade versions?

See that's the thing.
You can consider videogames are some kind of consumer product that can be changed and translated endlessly. They are just something you play, and other people will play it later and why bother if the game changed..

It's not like some cultural product. It's not like if we changed Mona Lisa to have a random cool chicks face to show it to kids, cause it's not really high art you know. Or like if we edited Coppola's godfather with i don't know, facebook references to modernize it. Of course THAT would be pretty shocking to people, and would be perceived as some historical pillage. But not games. Games are something you just play right. They have an object value, they don't matter as some kind of artistic statement at some point in history.

Well maybe i don't agree..

jaxword

See that's the thing.
You can consider videogames are some kind of consumer product that can be changed and translated endlessly. They are just something you play, and other people will play it later and why bother if the game changed..

It's not like some cultural product. It's not like if we changed Mona Lisa to have a random cool chicks face to show it to kids, cause it's not really high art you know. Or like if we edited Coppola's godfather with i don't know, facebook references to modernize it. Of course THAT would be pretty shocking to people, and would be perceived as some historical pillage. But not games. Games are something you just play right. They have an object value, they don't matter as some kind of artistic statement at some point in history.

Well maybe i don't agree..

Well, I do think that video games are an artform onto themselves, and indeed deserve respect in that sense. And in that same sense, they are not quite the same as the aforementioned examples; games get constantly updated and tweaked and fixed and retranslated and rewritten. That's why I asked you about the psx and gba versions: did they REALLY affect your FF6 love? Because honestly, no remakes in future will either--the original will still be there. It's not lost.

To put that in perspective, have you ever encountered the elitist gamer attitudes about the original Japanese versions? "You have to play it as they originally designed it, the original translation, the original intentions, the original cultural references, etc."

Do you ever think those people are a little extreme?

orioto

Good Art™
Well, I do think that video games are an artform onto themselves, and indeed deserve respect in that sense. And in that same sense, they are not quite the same as the aforementioned examples; games get constantly updated and tweaked and fixed and retranslated and rewritten. That's why I asked you about the psx and gba versions: did they REALLY affect your FF6 love? Because honestly, no remakes in future will either--the original will still be there.

To put that in perspective, have you ever encountered the elitist gamer attitudes about the original Japanese? "You have to play it as they originally designed it, the original translation, the original intentions, the original cultural references, etc."

Do you ever think those people are a little extreme?

No, i mean people need translations, but they should be faithfull. You know people prefer to see original subtitled versions of movies in some places. This is not some snobbish things to think the original version of a piece of art should be respected.
And the ports you mention are pretty accurate, and have mainly technical differences (loading for the psx and sound for the gba). That's unfortunate and i wouldn't advise to play them, but that's not the same as simply changing the art direction of a game like it never existed in first place. It's basically forgetting what the game was.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I expected vitriol when I saw this thread, and that's what I got. Personally I like FF Dimensions' style, and like this one too. Seeing how they up-res VI will be interesting...

Effect

Wow. The character art just pulls my attention away from everything else. They look bad though and so out of place.

.la1n

As much as I adore FF V I can't bring myself to say anything positive about this, GBA version remains definitive to me. Please don't do this to FF VI.

I expected vitriol when I saw this thread, and that's what I got. Personally I like FF Dimensions' style, and like this one too. Seeing how they up-res VI will be interesting...

I'm 60 hours into FFD and the only things that bother me graphically are the lack of character portraits and the small amount of NPC types. Although the original FFV sprites have their charm, I don't find it insulting that they've done the update. The original FFV is nowhere close to FFVI graphically and even some parts of FFIV look better. With that said, SE will need to use FFIV:CC level visuals if they want to satisfy FFVI fans when it inevitably arrives. Anything less would be an injustice to the original.

Auto battle worked great in FFD and I expect it to improve FFV as well. Anyone who has neglected FFD because they're under the impression it's just standard SE iPhone garbage is missing out. It has one of the best systems of the whole series and has many features that fans of the series complain SE has abandoned in more recent years. It honors the spirit of the Super Famicom titles but has its own innovations as well.

Pyrrhus

Anyone who has neglected FFD because they're under the impression it's just standard SE iPhone garbage is missing out. It has one of the best systems of the whole series and has many features that fans of the series complain SE has abandoned in more recent years. It honors the spirit of the Super Famicom titles but has its own innovations as well.

I've neglected FFD because the music pops like crazy on my Nexus 7. The problem is that their stuff just isn't made well anymore. Artistically or technically. They need to make quality a focus again.

I think Faris's styled, feminine hair and soft, pretty girl eyes are more of a problem.

Eh, Bartz has the same thing going for him.

Anyway, I have mixed feelings about this one. It's more FF5, so they'll probably get me to pay their ridiculous price, but if they were going to redo the sprites, they should have looked harder at what they did for the remakes of 1, 2, and 4.

nasty contrast with the game visuals, sprites and the classic FF artwork portraits going on there, sometimes the hair colors are not even matching!

I've neglected FFD because the music pops like crazy on my Nexus 7. The problem is that their stuff just isn't made well anymore. Artistically or technically. They need to make quality a focus again.

I noticed the 1st battle start music would cracks loudly whenever I restart the game on my gs3. i usually play it mute.

FFD is the only FF i enjoyed in the last 10 years, that's how much I like it. Mostly likely due to the nostalgia of ffv and ffvi.

I'm 60 hours into FFD and the only things that bother me graphically are the lack of character portraits and the small amount of NPC types. Although the original FFV sprites have their charm, I don't find it insulting that they've done the update. The original FFV is nowhere close to FFVI graphically and even some parts of FFIV look better. With that said, SE will need to use FFIV:CC level visuals if they want to satisfy FFVI fans when it inevitably arrives. Anything less would be an injustice to the original.

Auto battle worked great in FFD and I expect it to improve FFV as well. Anyone who has neglected FFD because they're under the impression it's just standard SE iPhone garbage is missing out. It has one of the best systems of the whole series and has many features that fans of the series complain SE has abandoned in more recent years. It honors the spirit of the Super Famicom titles but has its own innovations as well.

the auto-battle is a nice touch for grinding, i wish they would implement a auto-repeat last command. I hate the onscreen direction button, it's not very good. What's the point of that middle circle area?

KtSlime

I noticed the 1st battle start music would cracks loudly whenever I restart the game on my gs3. i usually play it mute.

FFD is the only FF i enjoyed in the last 10 years, that's how much I like it. Mostly likely due to the nostalgia of ffv and ffvi.

FFD sounds fine on my iP4.

I don't think these FFV screenshots are terrible, I do wish they would clean up the character sprites in FFD/V, but most of it looks fine (but sterile). I just wish they had gone out of there way to do something more like they did with III/IV (which I think also control much better than their I/II/FFD ports on the touchscreen). I'd be willing to give SE more money had they put in more effort. I guess I shouldn't have high expectations for VI either.

KiTA

Two things. What the hell have they done to my ffv.

Why is Faris' sprite looking like a girl. She's supposed to look like a man. Feminine hair, long eyelashes?? Red Scarlet is rolling in her grave.

The "Bishonen" (pretty boy) trope is still alive in Japan.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Apart from WayForward, ASW and SNK, did everyone all of a sudden forget how to make attractive 2D sprites?

KiTA

The ATB bars look like FFD's -- so レナ there is ... about to do a physical attack, and ガラフ is about to finish casting a spell? That about right?

Pyrrhus

Apart from WayForward, ASW and SNK, did everyone all of a sudden forget how to make attractive 2D sprites?

Essentially, yeah. It's something of a lost art now. The wizards of the '80s and '90s have largely retired, left the industry, or moved up into management. It's analogous to 2D animation in that it's skill and time intensive and most companies aren't willing to pay for it anymore even if they do have somebody who can do it. Still, I don't see who it benefits to do it badly. If you're going to do something, do it right, you know?

KiTA

Essentially, yeah. It's something of a lost art now. The wizards of the '80s and '90s have largely retired, left the industry, or moved up into management. It's analogous to 2D animation in that it's skill and time intensive and most companies aren't willing to pay for it anymore even if they do have somebody who can do it. Still, I don't see who it benefits to do it badly. If you're going to do something, do it right, you know?

I believe you guys are mistaking "something I don't like" with "wrong."

FFD looks fine, especially on an actual device.

Kyuur

The style could work if it was full of animation and life. If the characters move a little bit while standing and the attack animations are fluid I bet it will look very nice. Not likely though, they'll probably use the standard animation affair and it will look horrendous like the screens.

Pyrrhus

I believe you guys are mistaking "something I don't like" with "wrong."

FFD looks fine, especially on an actual device.

A lot of people here clearly disagree that it looks fine. But for the purposes of conversation, let's say it's "fine." Final Fantasy used to be able to muster quite a bit more that "fine." FFD is like the third cup of tea from one teabag.

KtSlime

The style could work if it was full of animation and life. If the characters move a little bit while standing and the attack animations are fluid I bet it will look very nice. Not likely though, they'll probably use the standard animation affair and it will look horrendous like the screens.

I like this idea. It would be pretty neat if the trees swayed a bit in the wind, if there were the occasional bird that flies about, but if it is like FFD it will just be stagnant.

Goli

the auto-battle is a nice touch for grinding, i wish they would implement a auto-repeat last command. I hate the onscreen direction button, it's not very good. What's the point of that middle circle area?
Auto-battle IS "auto-repeat last command" in FFIVCC and FFD, probably in FFV too.

nasty contrast with the game visuals, sprites and the classic FF artwork portraits going on there, sometimes the hair colors are not even matching!
Welcome to Final Fantasy.

Well, their games do work on the platforms they were developed for in the first place, iOS, and considering how many different Android devices there are it is no surprise it doesn't run well in every one of them. They probably could put more effort in their Android releases but I think they don't sell nearly as well as their iOS versions so it's probably not worth it to their eyes.

KiTA

Auto-battle IS "auto-repeat last command" in FFIVCC and FFD, probably in FFV too.

Only if you enable that option.

And I believe what he was looking for was a way to simulate the old method of remember-last-command, where you could just hit B over and over again and you'd do whatever you last did, no automation required.

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
I for one will not ask for remakes anymore. I shall simply cherish the great games we had. This is becoming like the Star Wars remakes with more special effects. There is really no sense to these.

Nilaul

evkzLWD.jpg

was this made in RPG maker

NO: Rpg maker would be sharper.. this is all blurry.

Goli

I for one will not ask for remakes anymore. I shall simply cherish the great games we had. This is becoming like the Star Wars remakes with more special effects. There is really no sense to these.
To me the whole point of this is having a classic JRPG masterpiece in my pocket. It could look like FFI and I wouldn't care as long as it plays fine.

-__________________________-
Gilgamesh.png

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait for the release of VI on iOS and the following GAF meltdown!

On how awful it will look. >:D

randomkid

I'm still curious who's responsible for the redone Amano portraits, was it some random Square Enix toiler? Lenna in particular looks different, even if it's clear this is the base. Still quite nice though, a very good job adapting for a high resolution screen. Would be nice to be able to say that for the rest of the game!

KiTA

Hey guys, never fear, using teh MAGIC OF PHOTOSHOP I am able to give you what you want:

y9j3CHu.png

Day one purchase?

Top Bottom