• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First wolf pack found in California in nearly a century

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that if we follow your argument, one of the conclusions is that people should be running away from vending machines because many, many more people die due to them than wolves.

Yes, they can hurt people. But not nearly as much as people think. You are much, much more likely to die due to numerous things in your house.

Yeah none of this is news to me and that is not my argument.

I'm simply saying I don't quite get why you'd be jealous that they aren't in your area seeing how little you'd get to see them and you most certainly do not want to interact with them.

Also thinking they never killed a person ever is painfully ignorant to me. Like yeah they have all the tools to do it and kill big prey but hey they never hurt people because reasons.

Penetrated my world

mcia7LR.jpg

Parch

As stated above, they are simply a family with a parent pairing, with younger members looking to breed wandering off instead of fighting for the right.
The parent pairing are definitely dominant though. They will prevent others in the pack from breeding, which not only makes them the only breeding pair but prevents inbreeding because everybody in the pack is indeed family.

This show of dominance was once probably considered fighting to be the pack leader, but that isn't the case at all. That's just mom and dad with accepted and needed social behavior. Young wolf gotta go form his own pack when it's his time.

The parent pairing are definitely dominant though. They will prevent others in the pack from breeding, which not only makes them the only breeding pair but prevents inbreeding because everybody in the pack is indeed family.

This show of dominance was once probably considered fighting to be the pack leader, but that isn't the case at all. That's just mom and dad with accepted and needed social behavior. Young wolf gotta go form his own pack when it's his time.

Somehow this makes them even more awesome to me.

Pejo

Gold Member
Sounds like males grow up and then wander quite a bit before they encounter females. So odds are that some males from an Oregon (or other state) pack will wander down and mate with females from this pack.

Similarly, some of the males from this pack may wander back north.

I may be wrong, but from what I'm reading about OR7, he wandered across several states in search of a mate.

This is how most wolf packs form. They're made up of a breeding pair, a mother and father to rest of the group. Eventually a younger member from the group may wander off and encounter one from another, the two forming a pack of their own. Wolves are also territorial for miles, so yes, there's usually a pretty significant distance between the wandering member and its original family group.

And another tangentially related wolf fact: the idea of 'alpha pair' is old and misguided, not existing naturally. Wolves don't fight to become the breeding member in their pack. The exception is wolves kept in captivity, or in rare cases when several packs are tightly grouped. As stated above, they are simply a family with a parent pairing, with younger members looking to breed wandering off instead of fighting for the right.

Very cool, thanks for the info. This is all really great news.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Wolves are really beautiful creatures, but I wouldn't want them anywhere near me. I have so much respect for their deadliness that I don't want to even entertain the slight risk of me or my family coming across a hungry/rabid one.
It's California, we have plenty of room for wolves and other potentially dangerous animals. Bring them on, we can share with entirely minimal conflict.

Prepare for awesome things California

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa5OBhXz-Q
This is fist-pumpingly awesome.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'm from Lassen County, and I'm willing to bet my dad and the rest of my family are having an epic meltdown over this.

I really hope that pack manages to survive and doesn't get killed by some dumbass (which knowing some of the people in that area, could easily happen)

You are!? Susanville? (I live at Almanor)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wolves can have a massive impact on the environments they once flourished in to the point the changes are literally affecting the landscape

HStallion

I always wondered why there were never more attempts to reintroduce wolves in places on the East Coast where they once thrived like the North East. I feel they'd be incredibly beneficial but I realize farmers and I'm sure politicians would raise a stink even with all the benefits of having them returned to the ecosystem.

linkboy

I always wondered why there were never more attempts to reintroduce wolves in places on the East Coast where they once thrived like the North East. I feel they'd be incredibly beneficial but I realize farmers and I'm sure politicians would raise a stink even with all the benefits of having them returned to the ecosystem.

Because, like you said, people will bitch and whine about it.

I lived in Montana for 7 years and the amount of vitriol people had towards wolves was disgusting (even though the wolves were there first).

I'll be really surprised if this pack makes it, knowing some of the people who live in that area. You've got a lot of people who think that they should be the only ones who can kill deer and will do anything to protect that.

Coyotes and coyote/wolf hybrids are increasingly filling that niche. I regularly see red foxes and deer (too often for deer...) in DC suburbs, and coywolves/coyotes have a foothold in one of our major parks (that's within DC). I think it's only a matter of time.

HStallion

Coyotes and coyote/wolf hybrids are increasingly filling that niche. I regularly see red foxes and deer (too often for deer...) in DC suburbs, and coywolves/coyotes have a foothold in one of our major parks (that's within DC). I think it's only a matter of time.

I wasn't really referring to DC when I made that post. I meant more the very large wooded areas of New York, which is like the North half of the state and places like Maine, though I guess I wasn't super specific in my posts. There is a huge deer problem in New York even with hunting season and wolves would most certainly help alleviate that issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom