• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flower (PSN)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
AndyD said:
Play bloxorz on PC. Its an older flash version of Cuboid from the same developers. If you like the mechanics there, then you will enjoy Cuboid which is better.

Yeah, bloxorz was recommended to me. I probably will check it out.

And I understand the no demo required policy. We have already had two small devs say they would not be able to release a PSN game at all if they had to take the time to make a demo, namely Novastrike and Everyday Shooter devs.

When its a small developer working out of his garage or in his spare time, if the concept is good enough, let them skip the demo and focus on the game. There is no magic "create demo" button. This was said by even more seasoned developers like the Pixeljunk guys.

Well, I totally get why developers would shy away from creating a demo, and as a programmer myself I know it's not as simple as just flipping the demo switch, but 100% of all XBLA games including the stuff made by single people, garage makers, etc all have demos.

And I'm saying that whether it's fair or not fair, I'm not apt to buy a lot of the borderline "well, maybe" games without a demo. Maybe a demo would turn me off or maybe it'd make me want to buy the game, but as-is they're losing a sale by not having a demo.

I see a lot of buzz for this game but i've never seen a gameplay vid, just screens so I know what it looks like, but I have no idea how it plays. I decided to blind buy and go in completely unaware.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Almost a month away, not too bad. I was going to create a thread about this as it seems not many people know about it, even though it was posted on GAF previously back in late '05 or early '06, but I figured I'd just do it here.

p3_2.jpg

There was an indie game created by a group of under-grads at the University of Southern California and partially funded by EA. The game was called Cloud and the staff involved consisted of people who would eventually find themselves at various parts of the gaming industry spectrum; the creator of Cloud would end up creating another game called flOw and would later co-found thatgamecompany with another Cloud co-designer.

I remember loading up the game and being floored by it. At only a small relative size, the scope of things were enormous in a way that is different from your normal "epic!" definition in gaming today. It was as if I was playing a minimalistic Hayao Miyazaki creation that had been inspired by Keita Takahashi's Katamari Damacy, complete with sweeping music. The gameplay was relatively simple, it was easily controlled, no issues with the camera system, and your grandmothers PC could run it with ease.

screenshot_00009.jpg

So why this post? When I watched videos of Flower and read impressions, it seemed to scream to me that it was a spiritual successor of sorts to Cloud. Since not many people seem to remember the game, nor have they heard of it, I figured it'd be nice to reflect back on one of the stepping stones of what thatgamecompany evolved from. This post is for those who enjoyed what flOw was and/or anticipating the release of Flower - do yourself a favour by investing 15-20 mins into trying this indie game.

Here is the official website on USC to download it.
And thatgamecompany's website section with articles

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow, that's like, tomorrow! Day one!

speedpop said:
Almost a month away, not too bad. I was going to create a thread about this as it seems not many people know about it, even though it was posted on GAF previously back in late '05 or early '06, but I figured I'd just do it here.

p3_2.jpg

There was an indie game created by a group of under-grads at the University of Southern California and partially funded by EA. The game was called Cloud and the staff involved consisted of people who would eventually find themselves at various parts of the gaming industry spectrum; the creator of Cloud would end up creating another game called flOw and would later co-found thatgamecompany with another Cloud co-designer.

I remember loading up the game and being floored by it. At only a small relative size, the scope of things were enormous in a way that is different from your normal "epic!" definition in gaming today. It was as if I was playing a minimalistic Hayao Miyazaki creation that had been inspired by Keita Takahashi's Katamari Damacy, complete with sweeping music. The gameplay was relatively simple, it was easily controlled, no issues with the camera system, and your grandmothers PC could run it with ease.

screenshot_00009.jpg

So why this post? When I watched videos of Flower and read impressions, it seemed to scream to me that it was a spiritual successor of sorts to Cloud. Since not many people seem to remember the game, nor have they heard of it, I figured it'd be nice to reflect back on one of the stepping stones of what thatgamecompany evolved from. This post is for those who enjoyed what flOw was and/or anticipating the release of Flower - do yourself a favour by investing 15-20 mins into trying this indie game.

Here is the official website on USC to download it.
And thatgamecompany's website section with articles

i remember playing cloud a few years back.

i wish they would consider making a PSN version of cloud

AndyD said:
Play bloxorz on PC. Its an older flash version of Cuboid from the same developers. If you like the mechanics there, then you will enjoy Cuboid which is better.

And I understand the no demo required policy. We have already had two small devs say they would not be able to release a PSN game at all if they had to take the time to make a demo, namely Novastrike and Everyday Shooter devs.

When its a small developer working out of his garage or in his spare time, if the concept is good enough, let them skip the demo and focus on the game. There is no magic "create demo" button. This was said by even more seasoned developers like the Pixeljunk guys.

Actually there is a magic demo button to push. It's called making them all timed. Just make the game time out after 8 minutes. Even all the XBL community games made by teenagers in their garage have this option. You don't have to make a special demo, just make the game time out after 8 minutes.

If every XBL community game can do this, there is no excuse for full fledged PSN games to not have the same option.

Dragon

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
If every XBL community game can do this, there is no excuse for full fledged PSN games to not have the same option.

Perhaps Sony doesn't want to directly copy XBL? I know I know, some of their 'improvements' to their firmware go against that philosophy, but I don't think adding a timed option universally would fix the problem.

I understand the people bitching about not having a demo, I agree that I don't buy some games because of this very reason. But I also understand the other side.

AndyD

aka andydumi
OldJadedGamer said:
Actually there is a magic demo button to push. It's called making them all timed. Just make the game time out after 8 minutes. Even all the XBL community games made by teenagers in their garage have this option. You don't have to make a special demo, just make the game time out after 8 minutes.

One of the devs spoke on this. Some games run matches that can last 2-5 minutes. Super Acrobatic Cars is one. Crash Commando is another. In that situation, giving a timer would essentially allow you to play the regular game in full with the inconvenience of restarting all the time. Adding a timer on those would be one of two things, either too short so you dont even play a game (30 seconds to 2 minutes) or too long and you dont even need to pay for the game.
A timer works for a single player type linear game, where you see the beginning but not anything else.
If devs say this is not what they want, then I would rather let the developer not do it.
Trophies are forced upon them now, but at least there's and SDK for it. Unless Sony provides an SDK for a button press demo mode, I doubt they will require demos.
And I was a software developer as well, we I know that a demo is not easy to make, and adding a timer is not always a good demo.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think this would be an extremely tricky game to make a demo for, even if it's a timed demo or any other kind. I mean demo that wouldn't completely ruin it's sales potential.

So here's the reason Kellee gave on the PSblog for why there won't be a demo

That’s fair, and I can’t answer for Sony on that, but personally I think the prices of downloadable games are so small that they kind of make demos unnecessary (this is my super short statement on this subject - email me if you want the long answer). Yes, our (the downloadable development community) teams are smaller, and our dev time is shorter, but our games make less money, and statistically they make a LOT less money when part of it is given away for free.

I know you’re taking a small financial risk by choosing to buy one of our games, but I hope you think it’s worth it.

dfyb

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:

every chance you get

We blitzed through the three-level preview and there was a sincere feeling of disappointment when, upon trying to access the fourth level, we were greeted with a simple message; "To be continued." Flower is simply a joy to play, which is funny because there isn't even much of a game in there. Not in comparison to a Final Fantasy title or Killzone 2, at least. If you've played ThatGameCompany's first PS3 outing, flOw, you'll be familiar with this sort of ludological whimsy.

Before anyone gets worried, I'll make it clear that Flower definitely has more gameplay than flOw did. The premise is simple. You are a gust of wind inside a flower's dream and you must carry petals to other flowers in order to progress to the end of the level. There's no time limit, no hazards, no points system and, really, no way to fail.

Controls involve little more than tilting the controller. Back and forth to alter the pitch, left and right for the yaw. Pressing any button will speed you up, just like in flOw, allowing you to get from point A to B much faster and allowing you to chain together flowers much more speedily. When you reach a flower it will make a sound, which differs depending on the color, so passing by a number in quick succession will reward you with a short tune. Flower is full of these personal rewards, as opposed to anything that affects gameplay.

Each flower will offer up a petal to you so while you start off carrying a single petal along, by the end of a level you'll have a billowing mass of them, all of differing colors. The aim of the game, in case you're not aware, is to heal the environments by collecting these petals. Some flowers will only appear after others have been gathered, which will in turn spark a "healing burst" animation, which colors in the graying landscapes, similar to healing a Fertile Ground in Prince of Persia. Doing so will allow you to progress further into new areas.

29p9pj8.jpg

2n81v7r.jpg

qyinae.jpg

o8rm2c.jpg

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2009/01/19/ps3-fanboy-hands-on-flower/

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
That’s fair, and I can’t answer for Sony on that, but personally I think the prices of downloadable games are so small that they kind of make demos unnecessary (this is my super short statement on this subject - email me if you want the long answer). Yes, our (the downloadable development community) teams are smaller, and our dev time is shorter, but our games make less money, and statistically they make a LOT less money when part of it is given away for free.

I know you’re taking a small financial risk by choosing to buy one of our games, but I hope you think it’s worth it.
So if that's true why don't we see devs abandoning XBLA in droves to go PSN exclusive? That way they don't have to make a demo and make "a LOT less money".

RpgN

Private Hoffman said:
Definitely getting this. Soothing game and seems like a cool tech demo if nothing else.

Gives me an FF8 vibe for some reason :)

Yes, day 1 here too.

In what way does it give you a FFVIII vibe?

RpgN

Private Hoffman said:
The flower scene in the game (flower CG)

part of the intro or ending, I believe

I can see now *thanks to sykoex* :D

I wonder if there is custom soundtrack too?

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
just in time for valentines day... now only if the ps3 wasnt so expensive id get my gf this flower.

RpgN

navii said:
just in time for valentines day... now only if the ps3 wasnt so expensive id get my gf this flower.

That's such a romantic thought, your GF must be very lucky :D Perhaps next year?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
sykoex said:
So if that's true why don't we see devs abandoning XBLA in droves to go PSN exclusive? That way they don't have to make a demo and make "a LOT less money".

Because, right now, there's a larger userbase on Xbox Live to try to recover the cost of a demo.

AndyD

aka andydumi
sykoex said:

Maybe because they are used to programming for XBLA already? Remember, only small garage developers would be affected greatly here, and I dont think they would be eager to just up and change their ways.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
When I saw "Feb 12th" my face was literally this: :D

DeadGzuz

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Me too, I have a no demo = no buy rule. There really is no excuse to not have one considering that even every single community game on XBL have them.

So I guess you don't buy full games without a demo, say Gears 2 or Fable 2? Oh you are just pissing in another PS3 thread?

KTallguy

Banned
Mifune said:
I'm buying this the second it hits the PSN, but no demo is a heaping load of bullshit.

Unfortunately, that's kind of the PSN mantra.
And the problem with games like flOw and Flower is that a demo would basically sum up the entire game.

Top Bottom