• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flower (PSN)

Ranger X

Just thought about this...

Is the game controlled by both joysticks or by the dreaded Sixaxis? I won't buy this if i'm forced to use the damn motion controls.

Ranger X said:
Just thought about this...

Is the game controlled by both joysticks or by the dreaded Sixaxis? I won't buy this if i'm forced to use the damn motion controls.

Did you get a chance to check out fl0w? Game aside, its one of the few titles that seem precise and smooth enough to get away with sixaxis based control. Granted it's more of a challenge on a 3D plane, but I'd give TGC a shot just based on that.

Ranger X

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Did you get a chance to check out fl0w? Game aside, its one of the few titles that seem precise and smooth enough to get away with sixaxis based control. Granted it's more of a challenge on a 3D plane, but I'd give TGC a shot just based on that.

I own Flow. It's good but would probably be more precise with joysticks imo. I don't remember any game in my entire life on any console where I truly felt in control with movement recognition. Your input simply isn't as fast recognised as with joysticks and button presses and it's because of the very nature of the tech. I'm not a huge fan. :/

Ranger X said:
I own Flow. It's good but would probably be more precise with joysticks imo. I don't remember any game in my entire life on any console where I truly felt in control with movement recognition. Your input simply isn't as fast recognised as with joysticks and button presses and it's because of the very nature of the tech. I'm not a huge fan. :/

Agreed with all that in general, but for the kind of experience TGC is going for I think its one of the unique cases where it really works.

Ranger X

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Agreed with all that in general, but for the kind of experience TGC is going for I think its one of the unique cases where it really works.

I doubt it will work effectively and If I can I certainly won't use it. I'm interested alot in the game anyways since it's so original and beautiful.

Haunted

dk_ said:
I fucking hope so.
Remind me to give you the money one of these days so you can get it for us. PAL really needs some PSN cards or something, then I wouldn't have to impose on you so much. :)

Ranger X said:
I own Flow. It's good but would probably be more precise with joysticks imo.
Maybe, but sometimes precision isn't the highest priority for a control scheme. This is one such case, imo.

flower-20090204001740105.jpg

flower-20090204001743340.jpg

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/867/867593/imgs_1.html

Kaako

Felium Defensor
SiegfriedFM said:
I just finished the game. There's only one word that can describe this:

Whoah.
I'm a sucker for "artsy, relaxing zen games" kinda...will I be satisfied?
My mind is 99% made up on this already, day 1 most likely.

Also, how does the game play when you're floating away on clouds?
Thanks.

Jim

SiegfriedFM said:
I just finished the game. There's only one word that can describe this:

Whoah.

I've been playing it since yesterday... I agree, completely, totally, 100%.
Game gave me chills, and it's kinda stuck in my head now.

deepbrown

Jim said:
I've been playing it since yesterday... I agree, completely, totally, 100%.
Game gave me chills, and it's kinda stuck in my head now.
Aren't many games that give you goosebumps. The soundtrack just takes it to another level.

Jim

Shurs said:
How does it compare to flOw?

flOw taken to the next level, and I loved flOw.

Warm Machine said:
is this a 720p game or 1080p?
Didn't even think to check (I'll look tonight). It could be 480p and still be awesome. Most likely 720p.

But yeah, embargo, so can't really divulge much yet.

Jim

so yeah 1080p native and it looks (and sounds) glorious
the game is a piece of art.. so damn good

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Anything you can say about the controls? I'm always weary of Sixaxis stuff, I didn't like fl0w's controls and fought with them more than, well, flowed with them.

Getting it regardless, but still would love to hear your guys' takes.

jiggle

these new screens don't look as sharp and saturated as before
looks beautiful nevertheless though

can't wait ><

Jim said:
darn you, I noticed last night. I really can't wait to try this out. makes me want a better TV.

Jim

SnakeXs said:
Anything you can say about the controls? I'm always weary of Sixaxis stuff, I didn't like fl0w's controls and fought with them more than, well, flowed with them.

Getting it regardless, but still would love to hear your guys' takes.

very simple and super smooth. much better than flow... 3d helps a lot. works great.
I said ¨wow¨ out loud more times in flower than I have in kz2 (demo at least).. you'll see it when you play it. looks much sharper in person on a 1080p set

SnakeXs

Jim said:
very simple and super smooth. much better than flow... 3d helps a lot. works great.
I said ¨wow¨ out loud more times in flower than I have in kz2 (demo at least).. you'll see it when you play it. looks much sharper in person on a 1080p set

Awesome. Purchase was guaranteed, but that's good to hear. Loved everything else about fl0w, but it was a damn chore.

Thursday can't come soon enough.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Jim said:
*man-hugs Jim*
You and the other one are awesome. Thanks for kick ass info. :D

Shearie

I've been sick for the past few weeks and in the height of my delirium, I made the decision to get Flow based on that I heard it was more of a toy that you mess with than anything close to a brain stimulating game, which was exactly what I needed at the time.

The one thing I hear people who like Flow say about the game is that the motion controls are wonderful and just simply steering the little terminator fish is a joy in itself; couple this with it's passive gameplay of leisurely eating little organisms whenever you feel like it and the game is supposed to make you reach Zen faster than eating a bowl of mushrooms. Sadly, like most toys I've ever played with, it was interesting for a few minutes and then I figuratively threw it to the side, never feeling compelled to get back to it. The motion controls were neither relaxing or fun, nor did I feel more at one with my terminator fish because I was "physically steering" it with my motions. The controls just were; they were fine and all and got the job done, but were not all that engaging. Equally unengaging was the main task of eating everything in plain sight. It got passive right; entertaining, not so much.

I felt like it was a waste of $8 and as a frugal man, it left enough of an impression on me to be extremely hesitant on the purchase of Flower, which is giving me a tug-of-war beween hype and the fear of money-burning disappointment.

Flower actually has levels and pretty decent replay value for searching for hidden flowers. You're gonna get at least a bunch of hours from just a single run of doing everything, and you'll want to do it again. No hesitation. February 12. Go. Flow. Flower.

(I went back to level 1, 2 and 6 again last night, still loving it. Level 6 is pure orgasm all the way through.)

djkimothy

Jim said:

Damn nation! Me and my stupid 720p TV. :/

The video from the OP was absolutely breathtaking. And the trophy list is so inspiring.

What the heck is the flOw trophy?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Hero of Canton said:
At one point - one of many in the game where the only natural reaction is 'ohhhh, man' - yes.
I never though hearing about rain in a game would get me all hot and bothered.

I want this game, now.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I heard this game is actually all about
"destruction."
That isn't a spoiler is it?

Also Day 1 for me too. Based on the impressions so far I'm soo pumped for this.

SnakeXs

Jim said:
*sniff sniff* what a game. potential goty (psn at least) material for me.

Seeing shit like this is making me go nuts with anticipation. On the one hand I say it's a game about flying in the wind and chilling, but for it to get so much praise it has to fucking knock your boots of with delivery.

Be Thursday already!

Top Bottom