• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flower (PSN)

PatzCU said:
Unfortunately, the music in fl0wer is not from the same person as who did the music in fl0w. Which is quite disappointing because I LOVED the music from fl0w. Not to go off topic, but the fl0w music will be released on iTunes soon, I will definitely be picking it up.

It's from the same guy who did the music for Cloud, his name is Vincent Diamante. He's also done music for some other games. The guy is amazing and I definitely prefer his stuff to the guy from Flow (blanking on his name right now).

PatzCU

timetokill said:
It's from the same guy who did the music for Cloud, his name is Vincent Diamante. He's also done music for some other games. The guy is amazing and I definitely prefer his stuff to the guy from Flow (blanking on his name right now).

The fl0w composer's name is Austin Wintory. He does most of his work in film however.

KTallguy

Banned
I'm surprised about the review scores, they're pretty amazing.
Stupid spoilers in the Eurogamer review :(

I will buy this game the next time I get the chance.

roMonster

Slaylock said:

Hmm, I didn't think the game was going to be that long to being with but I was expecting more for lasting appeal since, as the review stated, you could just leave it on and watch the landscapes or just fly around aimlessly.

I can't wait to play.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
PatzCU said:
Unfortunately, the music in fl0wer is not from the same person as who did the music in fl0w. Which is quite disappointing because I LOVED the music from fl0w. Not to go off topic, but the fl0w music will be released on iTunes soon, I will definitely be picking it up.

Is there more than the two tracks he has on his website: http://www.austinwintory.com/listen.htm

I'd love for more tracks.

SamBishop

Banned
When this game hits, all you "games as art" fuckers had better buy that shit ASAP. You will never get a stronger contender for the whole movement than Flower. The game is gob-smackingly amazing, and I actually felt privileged to be able to experience it early. It's such an effortlessly emotional experience, and... arrghh, whydoIhavetobedownhereinLAabouttoseeGodofWarIIIinsteadofplayingmoreFlower?!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
SamBishop said:
When this game hits, all you "games as art" fuckers had better buy that shit ASAP. You will never get a stronger contender for the whole movement than Flower. The game is gob-smackingly amazing, and I actually felt privileged to be able to experience it early. It's such an effortlessly emotional experience, and... arrghh, whydoIhavetobedownhereinLAabouttoseeGodofWarIIIinsteadofplayingmoreFlower?!
Holy fuck as if I wasn't already sold on the game. So you're telling me that this game was just made for me? A "games as art" fuck type of guy?

sarcoa

Kaako said:
Holy fuck as if I wasn't already sold on the game. So you're telling me that this game was just made for me? A "games as art" fuck type of guy?
It's going to give you enough ammo for the games as art movement for quite some time.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
sarcoa said:
It's going to give you enough ammo for the games as art movement for quite some time.
Reading some of the reviews and the comments in this thread alone from you guys gave me the biggest fucking grin. :D
I made a bet with a friend that Flower will definitely deliver and he said that it would be another "boring interactive sequence" like fl0w. I can't wait to pick it up at launch cause I'm a sucker for these type of games. Thanks for the impressions everyone.

SamBishop said:
Why didn't you bring your PS3 and hook it up to the hotel TV.

SamBishop

Banned
Eh, it's a quick in/out trip, and I wanted to keep it light. Lugging around that monster -- not to mention what would happen if I lost my precious debug or 60GB system -- was just too much to think about. Plus, unless I'm missing something, I can't hook anything up in here; the TV is behind some kind of fancy mirrored screen when it's off.

Ah well, the review build we got doesn't have Trophies in it, so I can hold off until Thursday to play the final game again for most of 'em anyway.

[edit] Nevermind, there's an HDMI port and a bunch of other inputs on one side and what looks like a car DVD player on the other. Faaancy!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
SamBishop said:

Haha, nice tag change.

I'll believe in you Sam :O

My copy doesn't have trophies either, even though it plays on my retail machine. No idea whether they will unlock after the official release, or if I need to grab an actual copy off the store like everyone else.

I did find the
fl0w icon
which certainly would unlock a certain trophy but no go...

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
ChryZ said:
Flower this week, NobyNobyBoy next week ... good times ahead :D

Now we just need a Fat Princess date soon after and the trifecta will be complete.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
timetokill said:
Excellent. I adore the music from Cloud, and further proof that it seems like Flower is the spiritual successor to it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
ChryZ said:
Flower this week, NobyNobyBoy next week ... good times ahead :D
Both games are day one for me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
NobyNoby Boy is a maybe, for me. But this is most definitely a day one. I'm actually pretty excited for it.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Just to join the crew, it was a day one for me since the segment on the 1up show. Hope this hits the EU store as well this week.

just watched a couple of videos here, flower looks like a breath of fresh air, so much guns and violence in today's games then you see this and you're like wow.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Baha said:
Day 1 on Flower, same for Noby Noby Boy (it's $5!!).
wut? 5 bucks ?

dreamer3kx said:
just watched a couple of videos here, flower looks like a breath of fresh air, so much guns and violence in today's games then you see this and you're like wow.
Yeah, its a nice change.

Fersis

neight said:
Have you seen what the game looks like?
Yeah, it uses the FUN mapping rendering technique :lol

Baha

Fersis said:
Yeah, it uses the FUN mapping rendering technique :lol

:lol

Seriously though, I like the art style. How I miss the days when people played games based on how fun they are and not how they looked.

neight

Banned
Baha said:

Seriously though, I like the art style. How I miss the days when people played games based on how fun they are and not how they looked.
I am looking forward to the game. I'm just saying no one be shocked the game costs $5 because you can tell that's about right considering how much money went into the production of the game.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
F#A#Oo said:
Yes it does...

Nice! Should have read through the thread but I've kinda decided to go in the game with getting the least information. I loved Flow, seen the 1UP Show (RIP) segment and that's it till I have the game.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wish smellovision existed for this game, breezes blowing in your face etc. etc. :(

Or maybe I should just get out to the country more, lolz.

Jim

SiegfriedFM said:
My copy doesn't have trophies either, even though it plays on my retail machine. No idea whether they will unlock after the official release, or if I need to grab an actual copy off the store like everyone else.

I did find the
fl0w icon
which certainly would unlock a certain trophy but no go...

I have all but 1 trophy now
earned the "Bloom 10,000 flowers" last night
, so they are definitely working. SCEA sent out pre-release codes last week for the final game... no debug/review code needed.

I'm still playing the game too. It's just hard to put it down.

Baha said:

I used that same argument for stranglehold...it works much better here lol
Has it been confirmed 5$. I seems like this and Nobi Nobi boy are cheaper in the states because maybe they aren't sure it will sell as well to us yanks.

Crisis

Banned
BobTheFork said:
I used that same argument for stranglehold...it works much better here lol
Has it been confirmed 5$. I seems like this and Nobi Nobi boy are cheaper in the states because maybe they aren't sure it will sell as well to us yanks.

I'm certain I read it was going to be $9.99.

My short and slightly wanky review.

A select few games have the power to immerse you so completely in their world that reality seems to be nothing more than background noise, particularly when the lights are dimmed and you’ve got your sound system turned right up. Some games do this through the sheer force of their audiovisual presentation, others manage to make the outside world unimportant by virtue of their addictive gameplay. With others, it’s all about the experience – games where the mechanics aren’t as important as the emotions they invoke, simply by positing you within their universe and allowing you to explore according to your own personal whims. Flower is very much within that third group – transcending its medium to become something perhaps closer to art than any game has managed yet.

You play as the wind, believe it or not – a breeze which increases to a fierce gust the longer you hold down any of the controller’s buttons, with gentle tilts of the pad guiding its path through impossibly lush fields. Its dreamlike feel is entirely deliberate – beginning in a rundown city apartment, you see the clash between the hustle and bustle of urban life (illustrated by brief monochrome vignettes coloured with the neon streaks of accelerated traffic flow) and the natural world, with a wilting flower in a sad window display ‘dreaming’ perhaps of its afterlife in the elysian fields that make up the game’s levels.

The flower begins alone amid a sea of swaying grass, and as your breeze gently picks up a petal, it blooms, with life and colour flooding back to dry patches of yellowing blades as your collection increases. The singular objective is to collect enough flowers to open up the next area, eventually reaching a miniature whirlwind, where the petals spiral together, transporting you back to the apartment where your tired bloom has now sprung to life – opening wider if you’ve discovered any of the three groups of aqua-toned flowers which appear once you’ve collected all the petals within a given area.

And that’s all there is to be done, for six levels, and approximately two hours of content if you’re rushing through. But, assuming you’re in possession of a soul, you simply won’t want to. Flower not only offers PS3’s most beautiful environments, but a sensation of freedom and flight quite unlike any other videogame. Whether whispering between the millions of individually-animated blades of grass, or soaring high above these colourful fields, this is perhaps the most gorgeous digital world your eyes have ever been treated to. The sparse sound effects and musical flourishes as you add to your petal collection are a sufficiently lush audio accompaniment, and the additional gameplay tweaks added to each stage (which we won’t spoil here) mean you’ll simultaneously be reluctant to leave an area, but aching to move onto the next.

So intense is the experience that, once you’ve truly ‘completed’ Flower, return visits won’t have anything like the same impact as your first play, making it more of a one-shot deal than most other games. But at just £6.29, Flower’s very special kind of bliss represents an absolute bargain.

Autofokus

Jim said:
Depends on what you didn't "get". It's definitely easier to get, especially once you play through some of it. Flower has more structure, a goal and an overarching plot of sorts. It's not as abstract.

Edit: The game has an awesome
credits sequence
also
Good question. I normally like those "art games", but Flow just bored the hell out of me

Whatever, I´m always in to support this kind of stuff - Day 1 for Flower & Noby for me. :)

Top Bottom