• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flower (PSN)

marwan

Banned
timetokill said:
Well, if by point he means "objective" then it would need one to be a game.

exactly....which is an incentive to keep playing. And throw in challenge/difficulty to the mix.

diss

Banned
From Robert Ashley's twitter:

dr max chill said:
Who knew that Flower was a.) narrative, and b.) all about destruction?
wat?! now i'm interested. anyone got more info on these points?

sarcoa

diss said:
From Robert Ashley's twitter:

wat?! now i'm interested. anyone got more info on these points?
I would love to but it's embargoed until tomorrow morning. Bring your goggles because it's going to be a spooge fest.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I'll think about buying this, I'm so-so on it for now, but I'll see when I get my HDTV a few days after it releases :D

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
flowers have nightmares too...

Prezhulio

just read the 1up review. THANK YOU so much alice for not ruining the surprise in the game, i am officially self-embargoing the reviews so i don't have it ruined. can't wait for thursday!

deepbrown

Prezhulio said:
just read the 1up review. THANK YOU so much alice for not ruining the surprise in the game, i am officially self-embargoing the reviews so i don't have it ruined. can't wait for thursday!
First four don't reveal the twist.

Jim

The reviews are right on :) Dustin should have his ready today.

I need only 2 more trophies and have a Q for others who have been playing it:
"Pure" Trophy: Does that require you to ace the whole 4th level, or just that fast-moving end gauntlet area?
I've done nearly everything else in the game, but keep playing it. My kids are memorized (err... mesmerized) by it. Audio sounds oohh soo good output in PCM... crank it, there's so much audio detail.
be careful on level 5 though

Since the embargo is up, go ahead with the questions. The "twist" isn't that unexpected - it's just the way they build up to it. Also, unlike flOw, Flower does have more of a game-like structure and a more defined goal (even if they don't spell it out), so if that turned you off about flOw, don't worry.

deepbrown

Jim said:

"Pure" Trophy: Does that require you to ace the whole 4th level, or just that fast-moving end gauntlet area?
I've done nearly everything else in the game, but keep playing it. My kids are memorized by it. Audio sounds oohh soo good output in PCM... crank it, there's so much audio detail.

Since the embargo is up, go ahead with the questions. The "twist" isn't that unexpected - it's just the way they build up to it. Also, unlike flOw, Flower does have more of a game-like structure and a more defined goal (even if they don't spell it out), so if that turned you off about flOw, don't worry.

Mesmerised, though it might not be that hard to memorize it too :p

ampere

Looks like the perfect game for people to mix with hallucinogens
Maybe it'll be relaxing enough to be worth buying, but I don't know. I still don't get what you're supposed to 'do.'

Zeliard

timetokill said:
Is it the obvious twist that we're all probably expecting?

I wouldn't know what that is since I haven't paid a lot of attention to Flower's development, but I didn't know about the twist I did read beforehand.

It's no biggie - it's just that if anyone doesn't want to know anything, they should stay away from the PSU review.

sarcoa

ciaossu said:
I still don't get what you're supposed to 'do.'
It's actually quite instinctive. I was worried about whether or not people would 'get it,' so I asked my roommate (who plays maybe one or two games a year) to take a minute and try it out. I told her nothing about the controls or even what you're supposed to do, I just handed her the controller and said 'ok go!'

She "got it" in like a minute. Once it's in your hands Flower is completely intuitive. I really doubt it but I hope they wind up doing a demo.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I can't say that's much of a twist.
Well I mean, maybe if you haven't thought about it that much... but I just figured that had to be where it ended up going even if it was never really confirmed until now.

(audio spoilers)
"this time they don’t’ create a melody, but instead sound out a discord of notes that jar to the ear"

That's fucking awesome.

Autofokus

Jim said:

I've done nearly everything else in the game, but keep playing it. My kids are memorized by it. Audio sounds oohh soo good output in PCM... crank it, there's so much audio detail.

Just one thing: I´m totally pumped for this, but I didn´t "get" Flow - will I still enjoy Flower?

sarcoa said:
What are you expecting?

Well, my guess is: (just in case, spoiler tagged)
the city/industrialization/etc. is "evil" based on the opening premise ("a flower's dreams from the city") that you have to deal with some gloomier settings that involve taking nature back from some city elements or something. Probably some girders or electric poles or some such.

Jim

Autofokus said:
Just one thing: I´m totally pumped for this, but I didn´t "get" Flow - will I still enjoy Flower?

Depends on what you didn't "get". It's definitely easier to get, especially once you play through some of it. Flower has more structure, a goal and an overarching plot of sorts. It's not as abstract.

Edit: The game has an awesome
credits sequence
also

sarcoa

timetokill said:
Well, my guess is: (just in case, spoiler tagged)
the city/industrialization/etc. is "evil" based on the opening premise ("a flower's dreams from the city") that you have to deal with some gloomier settings that involve taking nature back from some city elements or something. Probably some girders or electric poles or some such.
From a narrative standpoint that guess has elements of what's going on, but I think the hook and what's appealing to people is really more about the interaction of that experience. I mean, you can know the ending of a book but still appreciate the circumstances that lead to it, right? Flower's hands off delivery of narrative through mood, music, and atmosphere is what makes it extraordinary, imo.

sarcoa said:
From a narrative standpoint that guess has elements of what's going on, but I think the hook and what's appealing to people is really more about the interaction of that experience. I mean, you can know the ending of a book but still appreciate the circumstances that lead to it, right? Flower's hands off delivery of narrative through mood, music, and atmosphere is what makes it extraordinary, imo.

That's cool. I'm mostly interested in the music, the composer for that game is awesome.

Caelestis

I wish I didn't read what PSU wrote earlier. Oh well I guess... =\

I wasn't that interested in this game before, but seeing how most reviews are positive I might give it a shot now.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
jett said:
Didn't even know there was a twist, thanks for spoiling that fact!
I admittedly haven't followed this game too closely, but the idea that the game is structured in a way that a twist could even EXIST (ie it has a plot at all) is news to me. :D

PatzCU

TheJollyCorner said:
I loved fl0w's music.

Is fl0wer's music from the same guy? How awesome/relaxing is it?

Unfortunately, the music in fl0wer is not from the same person as who did the music in fl0w. Which is quite disappointing because I LOVED the music from fl0w. Not to go off topic, but the fl0w music will be released on iTunes soon, I will definitely be picking it up.

Top Bottom