• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor fight finalized for Aug. 26 - It's on!

I'm not a gambler and never done this before. So i'm not sure how this works.
On oddshark.com, they have Floyd at -800 and Conor at +500. If you bet $800 on Floyd, you'll get $100 when he wins. If you bet $100 on Conor, you will get $500, if Conor wins.

You said $10,000, should it not be $1000? Or do different gambling sites offer different odds and payouts?

Sorry. Try Bet365. Odds are 51:1 for Conor.

b7KZ49Xl.jpg

Lev

Lmao, is this a joke? I lost it looking at the promotional fight card picture.

This is going to be Mayweather's easiest payday.

Why should he? He beat Conor the first time and Conor barely won the second time to a guy who has boxing experience no where mayweathers level. If Conors boxing training videos are any indication of his ability in the ring then Nate is right.

Nate has had the opportunity to go on to bigger and better things. He is instead just hanging around waiting for Conor.

For a guy who talks a lot of shit about Conor, he seems like he is relying on him an awful lot

gogogow

Sorry. Try Bet365. Odds are 51:1 for Conor.

Ah, thanks!

Nate has had the opportunity to go on to bigger and better things. He is instead just hanging around waiting for Conor.

For a guy who talks a lot of shit about Conor, he seems like he is relying on him an awful lot
Nate wants that money fight. Fighting someone else and he would only make a fraction of the money he made fighting against Conor.
He would probably make more than the $20,000 he was getting per fight, but he isn't going to make millions.

Floyd is going to make Connor look silly, all of the casuals who bought the fight will complain about Floyd being boring, and Floyd goes home laughing cause he just got a free win for 50-0 and got a cool $100 million to do it.

THere is no "bigger and better" than fighting Conor. He's the biggest money fight in the sport. Nate could probably buy an entire block in Stockton with what he made from the first two Conor fights, he can probably afford to wait rather than taking some other fight for shit UFC pay and risk taking an L and falling off the radar.

TheTurboFD

How can he when Dana won't give him the time of day due to not being a big PPV draw?

THere is no "bigger and better" than fighting Conor. He's the biggest money fight in the sport. Nate could probably buy an entire block in Stockton with what he made from the first two Conor fights, he can probably afford to wait rather than taking some other fight for shit UFC pay and risk taking an L and falling off the radar.

And he's performed great against the biggest in the MMA but it doesn't matter to Dana.

Floyd is going to make Connor look silly, all of the casuals who bought the fight will complain about Floyd being boring, and Floyd goes home laughing cause he just got a free win for 50-0 and got a cool $100 million to do it.
I remember WWE fans thinking CM Punk had a chance against Mickey Gall, ahahaha.
I see a similar outcome, just not as brutal.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Lmao, is this a joke? I lost it looking at the promotional fight card picture.

This is going to be Mayweather's easiest payday.

Honestly? Yeah, it is a joke.

Granted, in the end this is simply an exhibition fight. It means nothing even if Floyd loses, because I doubt that this would even be something that would go on his record, having retired professionally. But I can think of several fighters who would give Mayweather a better fight, and would probably make it a better show. But that's not what is going to put butts in seats.

This is just a King Kong vs. Godzilla scenario.

Honestly? Yeah, it is a joke.

Granted, in the end this is simply an exhibition fight. It means nothing even if Floyd loses, because I doubt that this would even be something that would go on his record, having retired professionally.
The utter embarrassment would go on his record.

First of all, I never said Connor was a bigger draw (although that is debatable), I said your suggestion that Floyd was "by far" a bigger draw is absolutely wrong. In their last four fights:

Mayweather vs Maidana- 900k
Mayweather vs Maidana II- 925k
Mayweather vs Pacquiao- 4.6m
Mayweather vs Berto- 400k

McGregor vs Aldo- 1.2m
McGregor vs. Diaz- 1.5m
McGregor vs Diaz II- 1.65m
McGregor vs Alvarez- 1.3m

Floyd needed a fight people wanted for years (and a guy who sold PPV's on his own) to break a million buys. Floyd wants Connor BECAUSE he sells fights on his own. Connor cutting promos against and fighting a trash can would get a million buys.

First of all I call bs on this
I said your suggestion that Floyd was "by far" a bigger draw is absolutely wrong.
All you said was Nope. Second I am not wrong Connor needs this fight. Which is why its in Floyd's sport on his term's Mayweather promotions is the promoter and is getting the bigger cut of the money. I also like how you selective choose Floyd's last four fights. Floyd has cracked a million buys 9 or 10 times in his career and has passed 2 million buys 3 times. McGregor has not even cracked 2 million buys in his career. You can try to diminish Mayweather's drawing power all you want but McGregor has not done 2.2, 2.4, or 4.4 million buys in his career.

zewone

McGregor vs Diaz 3 for the belt on NYE card.

Bet.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
The utter embarrassment would go on his record.

He might be embarrassed, yes. But I'm pretty sure that the payday would help towards healing his bruised ego.

But like I said, McGregor isn't a professional boxer. This won't mean anything when it comes to Floyd Mayweather's boxing record. Even when he beats Conor, he'll still be at 49/0. This is for the "what if" curiosity crowd who are willing to pay to see Wolverine fight Batman.

gogogow

But like I said, McGregor isn't a professional boxer. This won't mean anything when it comes to Floyd Mayweather's boxing record. Even when he beats Conor, he'll still be at 49/0. This is for the "what if" curiosity crowd who are willing to pay to see Wolverine fight Batman.

Uhm....about that.....

In December, Brett Okamoto of ESPN.com reported McGregor received a professional boxing license from the state of California. His being granted the same status in Nevada would open the door for the bout to take place in the boxing mecca of Las Vegas.

clemenx

Banned
I feel bad for the lame people who's going to buy this shit hoping Connor clocks Floyd.

Then I will have to spend next morning at the office rolling my eyes hearing coworkers complain at how boring Floyd is and it's stupid that he can win while running away.

He might be embarrassed, yes. But I'm pretty sure that the payday would help towards healing his bruised ego.

That's wrong. McGregor is getting a boxing license. If he didn't this would be sanctioned and they'd have to go to Russia or some shit.

Turtle defense
Turtle defense
Turtle defense
Last 30 seconds - fight

Rinse and repeat until the last round where Floyd goes all out

I'll watch but Conor ain't winning

FUME5

I'm going to have to put up with two months of people who don't know shit asking me dumb questions about this, aren't I.

Floyd via any method he wants. Only way this goes more than a few rounds is if there was some kind of secret agreement for Floyd to let it go that long, or if Floyd wants to punish Conor over multiple rounds, forcing Conor to quit on his stool. Peeps expecting Floyd to run away from Conor the entire fight are going to be very surprised.

Lol. Conor in a fight vs. Floyd is like Barry Bonds in a HR derby against Steph Curry.

Edit:

Floyd is the greatest boxer in the world, ever. It's going to take more than a loud mouth MMA fighter to beat him in a 12 fight.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Not wasting time or money on this shitshow. The real fight will be canelo vs ggg in September.

Basically my thoughts though there have been a string of excellent fights lately which has been great. Lot of talent out there now. I still think GGG is gonna eat Canelo.

puebla

Basically my thoughts though there have been a string of excellent fights lately which has been great. Lot of talent out there now. I still think GGG is gonna eat Canelo.
Yes boxing is pretty healthy right now. It will be a dangerous fight for both but I got my money on Canelo ;)

So....part of the deal was Mayweather had to fight McGregor in the Octogon at a later date....right? I don't see how this does McGregor or MMA any benefit.

So....part of the deal was Mayweather had to fight McGregor in the Octogon at a later date....right? I don't see how this does McGregor or MMA any benefit.

The benefit to McGregor is that he will make more in one night than he would have in 10 years in the UFC. The benefit to MMA is why the fuck should Conor care about the benefit to MMA he's about to make more in one night than he would have in 10 years in the UFC.

Top Bottom