• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor fight finalized for Aug. 26 - It's on!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Ahh I see we are at the point where people are arguing over what a real fight is and what martial art is better/more real world.

Chumley

Banned
Again, I made it as clear as possible in my last post. Anything else you are seeing what you want to get in an argument about how much a dipshit Mayweather is.

I think making light of people calling him a monster and continuing that typical Mayweather fan line of "his morals and crimes are irrelevant" is telling enough. I already said I realized the odds are against Conor, but I want him to win because I don't like domestic abusers. I don't understand why that's such a difficult thing to just accept without becoming condescending.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Someone explain to me how this is not going the distance. Not because they are even boxers, but Connor and take a punch and when was the last time Mayweather knocked out anybody?

9SZqDVz.jpg

OK, who is going to play him in the film? because it has to happen.

A nobody to a probable Forbes top 5 earning sport star in how many years?

Maoyama

Banned
Are you being obtuse on purpose?

Let me rephrase that.

If I were to punch you in the face, we would get into a street fight.

MMA rules are much closer to a "real" street fight than boxing rules. No one intelligent would say otherwise.

There is no such thing as MMA rules. There are the unified rules of MMA, the new unified rules of MMA, the east asian style rules of MMA, Japanese style mixed rules, etc. But I get your point.

But again, I disagree with what premise. As I have said before, street fights are not clean. MMA fights look clean because of the rule set and the referee. That is the most defining characteristic of a street fight. Chaos, randomness, unfarily attacking others. Anything else you build on after that is secondary. Street fights are not defined by punchng, or grappling or kicking or anything else. They are defined by surprise and cheating and getting away.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Pro Tip: the best way to win a real fight is to kick the other guy in the balls first thing.

Tekniqs

I wonder how much Conor is training for this.

Like, what weight gloves are they using? Straight boxing gloves? If so, I bet it would take MONTHS to get used to throwing punches with a different weight of glove.

I don't know. I really am worried this is gonna turn into the CM Punk thing.

Which, ultimately, may be good. I think the only way he goes back to UFC is if he just absolutely embarrasses himself and needs to find redemption by being the two time champ again.

they'll wear 8oz or 10oz gloves on fight night. and AFAIK, they usually spar in 16oz gloves. I'm sure Conor does the same when he's sharpening up his boxing skills heading into an MMA fight. he won't have to get used to the gloves at all.

The fight will look similar to the Mayweather/Gatti fight and end within 6. Not saying the McGregor is anywhere near the boxer that Gatti was but Mayweather is 40, doesn't have the speed he used to and hasn't fought in nearly 2 years.

kinggroin

Banned
I feel like this is all fixed. Mayweather will throw the first fight and it'll "shock the world". Yet all it will do is make him more money for the second and third fights against Connor. He is all about the money after all and him going down in the first fight makes the most financial sense.

So would have a rematch with Pacman. It didn't happen.

Maoyama

Banned
they'll wear 8oz or 10oz gloves on fight night. and AFAIK, they usually spar in 16oz gloves. I'm sure Conor does the same when he's sharpening up his boxing skills heading into an MMA fight. he won't have to get used to the gloves at all.

Made some math, in the UFC McGregor has thrown an average of 6.5 strikes per minute and has never really been in an extended wrestling match. So we can assume that he can pull that number a bit higher. He also used to kick a lot, so maybe we can assume he is able to strike at around 9-10 punches per minute. And that is using 6 oz gloves. Floyd throws an average of 13 punches per minute using 8 oz gloves.

I dont see how this difference will make a massive impact in the fight, specially after it goes past round 4-5-6

BadAss2961

Someone explain to me how this is not going the distance. Not because they are even boxers, but Connor and take a punch and when was the last time Mayweather knocked out anybody?
Because Conor will be thoroughly outclassed and probably dead tired after a few rounds of boxing. Doesn't really matter how good his chin is.

Shadybiz

Because Conor will be thoroughly outclassed and probably dead tired after a few rounds of boxing. Doesn't really matter how good his chin is.

Right. Not sure how many rounds this is. Let's say 8 (maybe 12??). If it's 8, that's 24 minutes of boxing, assuming we're going by standard pro round length. UFC is what, 3 five minute rounds? 9 minutes is a lot more of an increase than some people may think. Especially if Conor ACTUALLY decides to go for it and try to win....against one of the greatest defenders in history.

Congrats to both guys for scoring a payday, but real talk, there's no way he beats Mayweather in a real throwdown (in boxing).

zewone

Right. Not sure how many rounds this is. Let's say 8 (maybe 12??). If it's 8, that's 24 minutes of boxing, assuming we're going by standard pro round length. UFC is what, 3 five minute rounds? 9 minutes is a lot more of an increase than some people may think. Especially if Conor ACTUALLY decides to go for it and try to win....against one of the greatest defenders in history.

Congrats to both guys for scoring a payday, but real talk, there's no way he beats Mayweather in a real throwdown (in boxing).

UFC title fights are five 5 minute rounds = 25 minutes

LosDaddie

Banned
Awesome! I'm sure like the last Mayweather fight, I'll be pitching in 💵 with a couple coworkers to watch it. And I'll probably bet $50 on one of the boxers

Top Bottom