• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor fight finalized for Aug. 26 - It's on!

This is ridiculous but people are so desperate to see someone beat Floyd Mayweather they are actually willing to live the plot to a fictional sequel to the movie Great White Hype. This will go just like James Toney's MMA fight vs Randy Couture. No one can cross over into someone else's sport and beat an all-time great at their sport especially on such short notice. This is like Neymar challenging Lebron James to a basketball game.

Maoyama

Banned
Under no rules. 1 on 1.

I also assume you're talking about no weapons? In a relatively flat open space with no obstructions? Are we using handwraps? Are we wearing shirts?

If we are talking about a fully dressed fight, with no handwraps, one v one with no weapons... then grappling is the only thing resembling a real fight. No one can throw strikes because that will lead to broken hands, so we devolve into a pure jiu jitsu fight... Can I berimbolo then? Can I start my worm guard attacks by using their shirt instead of the lapel?

Keylow415

This is going to be the biggest scam in the history of sports. It's going to be so one sided it won't be even funny just sad and boring.

Chumley

Banned
I also assume you're talking about no weapons? In a relatively flat open space with no obstructions? Are we using handwraps? Are we wearing shirts?

If we are talking about a fully dressed fight, with no handwraps, one v one with no weapons... then grappling is the only thing resembling a real fight. No one can throw strikes because that will lead to broken hands, so we devolve into a pure jiu jitsu fight... Can I berimbolo then? Can I start my worm guard attacks by using their shirt instead of the lapel?

Floyd can wield whatever kind of weapon he wants, Conor would still kick his head off and break his arms. Doesn't matter if he's wearing a shirt or handwraps either.

Maoyama

Banned
If someone punched you in the face in the street and you started getting into a fight, that is what constitutes a "real" fight.

You tell me what rules there are then.

MMA is closer to this real life situation than boxing.

You walk up to Anthony Joshua and punch him in the face. In what universe what happens next devolve into an MMA fight? He will just punch you right back and dismantle your whole existence

Tom_Cody

Can't lie I'm excited.

Any news who else is on the card?
Floyd has said that two of his champions are likely to be on the card, Badou Jack and Gervonta Davis:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-davis-badou-jack-on-conor-mcgregor-undercard

Here's some background if you don't know who they are:

Badou Jack vs George Groves highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic-CRxuP1XI

Gervonta Davis Defeats Jose Pedraza with a Vicious Right Hook | SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOvaB6PktsM

Gervonta Davis TKOs Liam Walsh | SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRk1TlTKXtY

Jerm411

Until they're in the ring throwing punches at each other.....

I-dont-believe-you.gif

Still refuse to believe this will come off lol....

PR_rambo

Banned
You walk up to Anthony Joshua and punch him in the face. In what universe what happens next devolve into an MMA fight? He will just punch you right back and dismantle your whole existence
Joshua would obliterate your physical being and knock your spirit into the shadow realm.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
This is ridiculous but people are so desperate to see someone beat Floyd Mayweather they are actually willing to live the plot to a fictional sequel to the movie Great White Hype. This will go just like James Toney's MMA fight vs Randy Couture. No one can cross over into someone else's sport and beat an all-time great at their sport especially on such short notice. This is like Neymar challenging Lebron James to a basketball game.

It really is, but like another poster said, they wanna see if Floyd will get his first loss to a non-boxer.

I didn't want this. But now that it's happening I'm excited.

dem

Conor got boxed up by Nate Diaz...

This is going to be ugly

But I'm sure he knows that. Opportunity to make life changing money.

v1oz

Youre delusional... MMA is not more real fighting than boxing is. They are both sports determined by the rule set that have been adopted to regulate them. How is having a cage and rounds and making kicks to a grounded opponent a "real" fight in any possible way
Lol MMA is derived from bare knuckle no rules fighting (NHB/Vale Tudo). It's a lot closer to a real fight than boxing is.

Chumley

Banned

No MMA fighter would stand and bang with that guy, they'd just leg sweep him and then submit him. That's the entire point of utilizing the tools of a real fight, you exploit weaknesses. And someone who can only box has a fuck ton of weaknesses.

But go on believing your fantasy world that boxers are real fighters.

Tom_Cody

No MMA fighter would stand and bang with that guy, they'd just leg sweep him and then submit him. That's the entire point of utilizing the tools of a real fight, you exploit weaknesses. And someone who can only box has a fuck ton of weaknesses.

LOL

Since this is clearly sarcasm.. do you really want to go there? Making people who actually think Floyd is a monster out to be drama queens? I don't think you want to go there.

I already know where your views are. You've made it very clear in every thread that Mayweather is mentioned.

I'm making fun of how every single fighter that steps up, the same thing is said. Including now, by you.

But it's ok, you just gotta believe.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!

I will, thanks!

Nameless

The UFC is attached to this so there's no less than a 75℅ chance someone gets hurt in camp. Not getting hyped before August 23rd.

Farsi

Lol MMA is derived from bare knuckle no rules fighting (NHB/Vale Tudo). It's a lot closer to a real fight than boxing is.

You really need to catch up on your boxing history. I recommend googling James Figg if you're interested.

Maoyama

Banned
Floyd can wield whatever kind of weapon he wants, Conor would still kick his head off and break his arms. Doesn't matter if he's wearing a shirt or handwraps either.

My point is this, and I dont think going in circles is totally productive anymore, MMA and boxing have both developed strategies to fight within their own limited set of rules.

In a "street fight" the most important aspect is to control as much as you can the factors that a ring and a comission take care for you. If you are about to get into a street fight the most important aspects to winning are how to defuse the situation, being aware of where you are standing and what happens if you hit the floor, how big the person in front of you is, how many friends your possible opponent has, how you are gonna run away when the time comes.

Consider MMA wrestling... cage wrestling is one of the most important aspects of the game. How to do a wall walk, how to pin oponents into the cage and beat them, how to use the cage to avoid a guard user from turning their hips. None of this are relevant in a Pride-era rule set. But under Pride rules, hitting the ground is vastly different because of the use of head kicks.

These are both sports. They do not emulate real fights, they are not meant to give an accurate representation of who is the best fighter in an abstract manner.

Ohhh... this discusision makes a whole lot of sense now

So you're making fun of the sentiment that domestic abuse is monstrous? Just want to clear that up.

Sure, I'll help clear it up.

You think Conor Mcgregor can beat Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match. I find that notion funny. His morals and/or criminality bears no weight in this assessment.

Anything else?

Eanan

The first square off is going to be so good. McGregor might dwarf Floyd going by what others have said.

Chumley

Banned
Sure, I'll help clear it up.

You think Conor Mcgregor can beat Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match. I find that notion funny. His morals and/or criminality bears no weight in this assessment.

Anything else?

That's a complete dodge, you said you were making fun of how people call Floyd a monster every time he's up against someone.

"I'm making fun of how every single fighter that steps up, the same thing is said."

Tom_Cody

The first square off is going to be so good. McGregor might dwarf Floyd going by what others have said.
They are virtually the same size. There won't be a visible size difference when they're on stage, though McGregor will probably be slightly (but distinctly) taller when they do the face-off.

Eanan

They are virtually the same size. There won't be a visible size difference when they're on stage, though McGregor will probably be slightly (but distinctly) taller when they do the face-off.

Joe Rogan has said that Conor is much broader than Floyd.

That's a complete dodge, you said you were making fun of how people call Floyd a monster every time he's up against someone.

"I'm making fun of how every single fighter that steps up, the same thing is said."

Every time they say what you said before:

Chumley said:
I don't give a shit what anyone says, I believe in Pacquaio, Cotto, Canelo, Conor.

Again, I made it as clear as possible in my last post. Anything else means you are seeing what you want to get in an argument about how much a dipshit Mayweather is.

Can't blame him tbh. I'd happily get knocked the fuck out in humiliating fashion for the amount of money he's going to make.

Would be absolutely hilarious if Mayweather somehow lost though.
There are no losers in this fight. Conor will make an attempt to win but gladly take the L and laugh all the way to the bank.

zewone

Are you being obtuse on purpose?

Let me rephrase that.

If I were to punch you in the face, we would get into a street fight.

MMA rules are much closer to a "real" street fight than boxing rules. No one intelligent would say otherwise.

Top Bottom