• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor fight finalized for Aug. 26 - It's on!

Farsi

Makes it bittersweet, knowing that we will unlikely ever see McGregor fight in the UFC again after this. Was a fun ride though, legendary stuff.

If this is the end, we're all in for one hell of a final ride. The build up for this is gonna be legendary.

zewone

I don't want to bet on the fight. That's too easy.

I want to bet that it get delayed due to injury.

Not going to be delayed.

Too big of a fight, too much money will be lost, they need to get the fight in before Canelo vs GGG, they need to put this fight on while the public is still interested.

sam777

Makes it bittersweet, knowing that we will unlikely ever see McGregor fight in the UFC again after this. Was a fun ride though, legendary stuff.

Conor wants to fight twice this year, so we should see him defend his UFC title later in the year, latest early 2018.

Tom_Cody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geCXKT0hhdI

Conor sparring with Boxrec #30 Welterweight.
And here's that #30 Welterweight getting blasted out by Errol Spence:

Spence Jr. vs Van Heerden: HIGHLIGHTS — September 11th 2015 — PBC on Spike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VooN72RtPk8

n4WrgQ4.jpg

Chumley

Banned
Yes, that one boxing match he didn't have was incredible, the way he has never thrown a professional boxing punch was to much to overcome for his no opponents, definitely deserving of his amazing flawless record of 0-0 and will easily beat a top 10 boxer of all time who has never lost.

It's going to be a long 2 months for you if posts like that are triggering you.

NYR

Conor wants to fight twice this year, so we should see him defend his UFC title later in the year, latest early 2018.
lol, are you on drugs. He is going to get paid $100 mill for this, you think he is going to put his health on the line for $250,000? He can make that on interest sitting on his ass.

This was 100% a ploy, he leveraged the media to get a massive pay day, he just got a fight with the biggest name in the game with zero experience. This is no different if it was The Rock running his mouth for a fight for $100 mill.

Maoyama

Banned
Since MMA is the superior martial arts form, you gotta respect Conor for lowering himself to boxing rules so Floyd can compete (and even have an advantage, bless him) :)

Youre delusional... MMA is not more real fighting than boxing is. They are both sports determined by the rule set that have been adopted to regulate them. How is having a cage and rounds and making kicks to a grounded opponent a "real" fight in any possible way

RangerX

Banned
As an Irishman whose mother comes from the same town as McGregor I'll be rooting for him. I still don't give him a chance in hell. It will be a fun spectacle anyway.

El Topo

Youre delusional... MMA is not more real fighting than boxing is. They are both sports determined by the rule set that have been adopted to regulate them. How is having a cage and rounds and making kicks to a grounded opponent a "real" fight in any possible way

He was sarcastic.

Then maybe that guy should check himself before saying "MMA kids".

Pretty sure is comment was about the attitude of some people that don't understand that boxing is completely different from MMA. Being good at striking in MMA means nothing for boxing (and vice versa).

Notice i never mentioned "real fight", whatever that is. I simply said MMA is the superior martial arts system, which is obviously true. They're both sports.

DirtyLarry

Calling it now.

McGregor is going to get disqualified as he is going to keep on fighting as if it is an MMA fight and not a boxing match. He will illegally take Floyd down one too many times or headbutt him or some shit like that.

They will talk shit after the fight and there will be a rematch like 6 months later.

They will each make close to 200 million with Floyd winning the second fight.

They both will laugh all the way to the bank.

This shit might as well be a WWE match it is going to be so scripted.

And I respect the hell out of both men's skills in their respective sports. But this crossover shit is just them banking in on something for some reason the public wants to see. They both have to be smart enough to realize that their sports are so vastly different one would not compete in the other and vice versa. It is just Floyd has the leverage and the team to make it a boxing match so McGregor is going along with it for the pay day.

Chumley

Banned

Because in a no rules street fight, the MMA fighter wins over the boxer every single time. It's that simple.

The UFC simply allows more tools for fighters to use than boxing does. They prioritize less on striking because there's a myriad of other ways to annihilate your opponent.

Maoyama

Banned
Because in a no rules street fight, the MMA fighter wins over the boxer every single time. It's that simple.

No... In a no rules street fight Mayweather sends his squad of armed, 7 foot goons to beat up any MMA fighter that talks shit at him.

Conor's entire motivation and even stage personality has been built around being able to build up to earning this sort of "set for life" money for himself but more his family. I could see him retiring after this

But another part of me thinks the guy is just too ambitious. He doesn't have interest in title defence right now but I think a part of him will recognise he wants to be an all time great as well and he will continue. Maybe even a third division. I think there's still a lot of room to build his legacy

Or maybe if he has a win he then he makes a run at a boxing title

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I wonder how much Conor is training for this.

Like, what weight gloves are they using? Straight boxing gloves? If so, I bet it would take MONTHS to get used to throwing punches with a different weight of glove.

I don't know. I really am worried this is gonna turn into the CM Punk thing.

Which, ultimately, may be good. I think the only way he goes back to UFC is if he just absolutely embarrasses himself and needs to find redemption by being the two time champ again.

Eanan

Says who? Compulsive liar Dana white?

Conor is big on making lots of cash and getting out quick with his health intact, like he said a while ago in interviews. Hes got a family now so why take a risk of getting badly injured for chump change in the UFC after this mega fight? Also, its a step down.

The only thing I can see him come back for, is a title fight against maybe GSP or woodly for the third WW belt.

Eanan

Like, what weight gloves are they using? Straight boxing gloves? If so, I bet it would take MONTHS to get used to throwing punches with a different weight of glove.

Which, ultimately, may be good. I think the only way he goes back to UFC is if he just absolutely embarrasses himself and needs to find redemption by being the two time champ again.

The pics on instagram look like regular sized gloves (i dont follow boxing so dont know the ounce).

Coach JK has been saying for weeks that they've been training hard so I would think they've been training since March/April at least.

McGregor about to get the biggest payday of his life to take an L.

Might as well strip him now because ya boy ain't coming back after this.

But they won't because this is a more marketable fight if he's hailed as a Champ and the unofficial Champ Champ since he never lost his featherweight title.

Maoyama

Banned
Pretty sure is comment was about the attitude of some people that don't understand that boxing is completely different from MMA. Being good at striking in MMA means nothing for boxing (and vice versa).

This is more evident now than ever before. The constant stance-switching and darting in modern MMA would never work in boxing or kickboxing. Nevertheless, Holloway just beat up Aldo by using a mix of mid-combination stance switching mixed with side to side pressure. That is some of the best MMA striking right now and no way in hell any of that holds in a boxing ring

zewone

MMA is closer to a real fight than boxing is.

A blind man could tell you that.

Formless

Most people who train MMA spar in boxing gloves also lol

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
lol, are you on drugs. He is going to get paid $100 mill for this, you think he is going to put his health on the line for $250,000? He can make that on interest sitting on his ass.

This was 100% a ploy, he leveraged the media to get a massive pay day, he just got a fight with the biggest name in the game with zero experience. This is no different if it was The Rock running his mouth for a fight for $100 mill.

Dude, Conor's hustle is LEGENDARY. Has he ever stepped into a ring with another professional boxer? And he's going against one of the greatest, for one of the biggest paydays in boxing history. Say what you want about his skillset, this dude literally found a way to get asked the question "would you get socked up by one of the best boxers of all time in front of millions of viewers for a million bucks?"

"Nah. I would for a 100 million, though."

"I got you, fam!"

zewone

What do you mean by a "real" fight? Under what set of rules and expectations is this hypothetical fight under?

If someone punched you in the face in the street and you started getting into a fight, that is what constitutes a "real" fight.

You tell me what rules there are then.

MMA is closer to this real life situation than boxing.

PR_rambo

Banned
wonder what kind of state Floyd's pillowfists are in
He's still got enough pop to hurt peeps with but not like his younger days. Ortiz as his last KO I believe. Back in 2011 and that was because Ortiz was too busy trying to apologize for headbutting him to defend himself.

Top Bottom