• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

“Haven’t you been arrested before? Four times isn’t it?”

“Oh,” he said. “Nigeria? Make sure they don’t bring Ebola with them.”

'Aluko also alleges that one member of staff repeatedly spoke to her in a mock Caribbean accent'

She's never been in trouble with the police in her life.

I doubt she's got a record, she's a lawyer isn't she? Or at least training to be.

Sampson has always come across as a jumped up prick to me. None of this surprises me. He has a "my shit don't stink" attitude about him.

Read up on it more now, yeah that shit is obvious racist. Dude should of got fired bit nope got to keep him cus he is successful.

Fuck him
Fuck the Women FA

Also fuck taking their money

I've been trying to watch some women's football these past months and I've come to a conclusion that it's not worth it.

It's just terrible. It's shit. I found it more of a comedic relief than a competition. I've seen better skill at my sunday league team matches.

It always makes me laugh when people come out with the "They could beat the men's team!" whenever the England women win a game.

I'm not sure how many English football matches you go to, but this already happens, at least at the Boro matches I attend. Part of the reason Karanka was sacked was because he fell out with the fans when he accused them of being too critical of the team and going against his tactics during a match. We've also had countless managers talking in post-game interviews about how the fans got on the teams back and demanded more from them, getting riled up at wayward passes and the like. Some speculate that fan criticism is why Ozil is so bad. Fans are relentless with him when he makes the slightest error, and he's not the only one who experiences it.

You are right about that but a lot of the criticism is ass backwards in the modern game. As you pointed out Ozil he certainly gets the wrong type of criticism. He is a technical player often expected to do a physical players job and gets derided on the physical aspect of his game. We know he turns off so criticism should perhaps be why doesn't Wenger play Ozil in a role that is more suited to his abilities. He also doesn't have Cazorla (will do when back from injury) or Arteta any more that use to sure up a lot of weaknesses but the players at his disposal aren't suited to provide adequate cover like in the past. Just look at how Germany use him in comparison.

TimmmV

Simply have a basic expectation of how the teams should play and call out poor passes, control and movement. Players and teams don't like to be derided for their lack of quality but when they are getting praised for some shoddy performances or basic but flashy skills nothing is going to improve.

Listen to La Liga, Seria A and Bundisliga fans when they watch games they are all about the details which I rarely hear from Prem fans, post game analysis is also far better and the teams from those leagues show a much higher level of skill even though most of the players in the Prem are better players. Most prem fans can't even read off ball play or formations or the role of players in said formations so it is a big ask.

People are guided by the punditry too, which is quite annoying. It means you get opinions being regurgitated with no thought as to whether its correct or why.

Two particularly annoying ones were how everyone hates zonal marking, and will lay into it at the first chance they get, and also squad rotation (although people accept that now, but 15 years ago wasn't)

I used to argue with other Liverpool fans at my old job quite a lot who would lay into Rafa for zonal marking especially - but their point would never really move beyond "its just bad".

I also think in this country a lot of the time pundits focus on the result and then work backwards, instead of looking at how the teams actually played. There have definitely been a few big Liverpool wins over the years where they haven't actually been that great, but had pundits drooling, and a few losses where it actually wasn't that bad, and the pundits lay into whatever scapegoat they can latch onto at the time - whether thats lack of a bench/zonal marking/over reliance on 1 or 2 players etc etc

ty_hot

Looks like Barca is losing its negotiating power, Nice is getting fed up with their behaviour regarding the potential transfer of Seri and are requesting money and a player.

I love watching this trainwreck.
Funniest thing is that they could have closed many deals before all the Neymar speculation started, or at least before it was confirmed. Everybody was skeptical anyone was paying 220 for a player. Now they are stuck with this money but any player they aim automatically become 2x the original price.

And all the speculation about Iniesta and Messi not happy that they cant sign anyone makes it even better/worse. Neymar could have possibly ruined Barça's year (or more) with this transfer.

I do like Barça team (currently living in here btw), but they kind of deserve all this. If I was a real barça fan (which I have never seen in the camp nou lol, there are more tourists there than in sagrada familia) I would be curious that they are talking about players that score instead of players that defend well. What a shitty defensive team they have. Paulinho was a great acquisition and nobody likes him, he can help balance things out but he wont do it alone.

Syder

It always makes me laugh when people come out with the "They could beat the men's team!" whenever the England women win a game.
Same issue with the gender pay gap debate.

Yeah, in theory, they should be paid the same but in sport your pay correlates directly to how much of a draw you are.

I hope one day it will be equal but this doesn't happen overnight.

cromofo

Didn't like 15 year olds beat USA and AUS national teams?

Same issue with the gender pay gap debate.

Yeah, in theory, they should be paid the same but in sport your pay correlates directly to how much of a draw you are.

I hope one day it will be equal but this doesn't happen overnight.
It'll be equal when it reaches the skill level of men's football and the global audience appeal. So, pretty much never. Equal pay in some sports as it stands is a ridiculous proposal.

MrS

Banned
You are right about that but a lot of the criticism is ass backwards in the modern game. As you pointed out Ozil he certainly gets the wrong type of criticism. He is a technical player often expected to do a physical players job and gets derided on the physical aspect of his game. We know he turns off so criticism should perhaps be why doesn't Wenger play Ozil in a role that is more suited to his abilities. He also doesn't have Cazorla (will do when back from injury) or Arteta any more that use to sure up a lot of weaknesses but the players at his disposal aren't suited to provide adequate cover like in the past. Just look at how Germany use him in comparison.
Ozil plays in a physical league and he hasn't adapted to it. There's more rough and tumble in the PL than in Bundesliga and La Liga. The difference between Ozil and other "flair players" like Willian, Pedro, Hazard and David Silva is that they've adapted to the physicality of the Premier League. That's partly his fault and partly the fault of the Arsenal coaching staff, but I don't think the fans are wrong to criticise him when he goes missing in games.

Doc_Drop

I can't say I like zonal marking. It seems to leave a stationary defence with the attacking team having momentum. I think it also often leads to spare attackers due to movement around the box. It could be the implementation or just that generally premier league defences are of a lower tier than European counterparts.

Although much like anything, I notice when it doesn't work more than when it does and I wouldn't pretend for a second I have anywhere near the knowledge of professionals.

Now not having defenders on the post is a whole lot more infuriating

Syder

It'll be equal when it reaches the skill level of men's football and the global audience appeal. So, pretty much never. Equal pay in sports as it stands is a ridiculous proposal.
I agree but it needs to be either skill level or just pure entertainment, for example, I find Serena Williams more entertaining to watch than most male tennis players and I think most of the world agrees.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Ozil plays in a physical league and he hasn't adapted to it. There's more rough and tumble in the PL than in Bundesliga and La Liga. The difference between Ozil and other "flair players" like Willian, Pedro, Hazard and David Silva is that they've adapted to the physicality of the Premier League. That's partly his fault and partly the fault of the Arsenal coaching staff, but I don't think the fans are wrong to criticise him.

Great post. I highly agree btw, I'd say a lot of the blame does fall on our coaches, who could ruin any player imo. Bring Messi, Ronaldo & Neymar here, and watch them become a shell of themselves.

The faster a new manager comes in and revamps the entire coaching staff, the better.

Doc_Drop

Watching Arsenal since the heady heights of the invincibles era it has always felt to me that directness and positivity were less valued than playing the game "properly", which I respect but wonder whether an augmented approach would be better. Sadly, any players who seem to play more direct football get marginalised or changed.

As much as it would pain an Arsenal fan, there are lessons to be learnt from Tottenham (not that they've yet proven their brand of football works)

Beefy

With FFP you aren't meant to spend £28m more then you make, with Mbappe and Fabinho all but done. PSG have spent £400m....

Cappa

Banned
Ozil plays in a physical league and he hasn't adapted to it. There's more rough and tumble in the PL than in Bundesliga and La Liga. The difference between Ozil and other "flair players" like Willian, Pedro, Hazard and David Silva is that they've adapted to the physicality of the Premier League. That's partly his fault and partly the fault of the Arsenal coaching staff, but I don't think the fans are wrong to criticise him when he goes missing in games.

Ozil also struggled to be consistent in a non-physical league like La Liga.

I dont think his struggles are because of the physical nature of the league. He´s just an inconsistent player.

With FFP you aren't meant to spend £28m more then you make, with Mbappe and Fabinho all but done. PSG have spent £400m....

Im hearing Mbappe on loan this year and theyll pay out next year avoiding any FFP issues.

Syder

Great post. I highly agree btw, I'd say a lot of the blame does fall on our coaches, who could ruin any player imo. Bring Messi, Ronaldo & Neymar here, and watch them become a shell of themselves.

The faster a new manager comes in and revamps the entire coaching staff, the better.
I think you can disqualify Ronaldo here. You could argue that playing in the PL is the reason why he is the player he became; Ronaldo is so physically strong.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Looks like Barca is losing its negotiating power, Nice is getting fed up with their behaviour regarding the potential transfer of Seri and are requesting money and a player.

I love watching this trainwreck.

This is no less than they deserve, player power seems to have been significantly reduced recently, which is really gonna have an impact on their transfer policy. They can't just lowball clubs and then wait for the player to force his way out. It hasn't worked with Coutinho and now Dortmund will see they can do the same.

Maybe next time if they want a player then should just offer the going market value, instead of half of it spread over 4 installments and the rest to be payed back in crumpled up £10 notes if and when the player gets the B'allon D'or, reunites the Gallagher Brothers and wins a Nobel Prize for cracking cold fusion.

Cappa

Banned

Ronaldo excelled in the premier league lol

Messi and Ronaldo are extremely physical players who would dominate ANY league. I mean you have a small sample size of their capabilities when you watch them play premier league teams in champions league.

Neymar Im going to agree with but Ronaldo and Messi are the epitome of physical players, they get the shit kicked out of them game after game and rarely go down on first contact.

T-Rex.

Banned
I can't say I like zonal marking. It seems to leave a stationary defence with the attacking team having momentum. I think it also often leads to spare attackers due to movement around the box. It could be the implementation or just that generally premier league defences are of a lower tier than European counterparts.

Although much like anything, I notice when it doesn't work more than when it does and I wouldn't pretend for a second I have anywhere near the knowledge of professionals.

Now not having defenders on the post is a whole lot more infuriating
It's no better or worse than man marking imo. Like with Liverpool, we're pretty shit on set pieces and they keep blaming the zonal marking system, but the truth is that we play a mix and it's just a case of our players being wank aerially. Switching to a complete zonal system isn't going to solve the issue of Matip being aerially weak, Clyne being aerially weak, Moreno being a midget, Wijnaldum shitting out of headers etc. It's just a convenient scapegoat for the pundits who all seem to have a massive hate boner for it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Coutinho to have clear the air talks with Liverpool. Barcelona camp is to blamed for everything that has happened in the media regarding transfer request email, quote of not playing ever again for Liverpool and family members suggesting he had problems with Klopp.

http://www.12up.com/posts/5431752-brazilian-press-suggest-coutinho-not-to-blame-for-impasse-as-liverpool-reintegration-a-possibility?utm_source=RSS

Don't know if I'm buying this, I'm certainly willing to believe they got into his head with some 'now or never' nonsense, but he's gonna need to come out with a more direct statement to put this to bed.

It's just a convenient scapegoat for the pundits who all seem to have a massive hate boner for it.

I was reading something recently that compared the two systems over the last 10 years and it turns out they have more or less the same success rate. The problem is that zonal marking is a system popularised by those bloody foreign managers who are stopping Sam Allardyce and Neil Warnock from getting the top jobs, and they can't be praising that can they?

Syder

Fuck Barca

Pleased they can't get anyone
It's crazy to me that they haven't realised they cannot challenge this current Real side. Develop your youth and buy young, hungry players for the future motherfuckers.

Fucking Paulinho, give me a break.

faridmon

That really annoyed me last year. The quality of the football wasn't good at all but City were getting goals, they showed nothing to warrant the praise. They actually got significantly better when they lost some games and it was primarily down to keeper errors that they lost. The game when Everton beat City 4-0, City were by far the better team (only Davis for Everton really stood out in that game) but Bravo was a liability and every time they shot they scored.

That is one of the biggest criticisms I have about punditry in the UK. A team can play crap for 89 mins then have a min where they bang in three goals and the performance will be lauded. When often it is the other teams mistakes not anything to do with the quality of football being played by the team that won.

Standards of football in the PL should be much higher. People got bent out of shape when Henry criticised Lukaku this weekend but everything he said was correct. If fans had more demand for quality football then the quality might get much better.

Bullshit

If anything, Man City played shit as they 75% possession just passing he ball sideways, they had 2 clear chances while the rest were shots outside of the box. We controlled the game despite not having he ball. We run the most and the furthest, and we had better passing accuracy.

This Barca ''Played the best depite notscoring'' stats should have died long time ago. What matters is the goals

NHale

That really annoyed me last year. The quality of the football wasn't good at all but City were getting goals, they showed nothing to warrant the praise. They actually got significantly better when they lost some games and it was primarily down to keeper errors that they lost. The game when Everton beat City 4-0, City were by far the better team (only Davis for Everton really stood out in that game) but Bravo was a liability and every time they shot they scored.

That is one of the biggest criticisms I have about punditry in the UK. A team can play crap for 89 mins then have a min where they bang in three goals and the performance will be lauded. When often it is the other teams mistakes not anything to do with the quality of football being played by the team that won.

Standards of football in the PL should be much higher. People got bent out of shape when Henry criticised Lukaku this weekend but everything he said was correct. If fans had more demand for quality football then the quality might get much better.

We even saw this weekend with Man United. They were pretty average for almost the entire game, Swansea could easily tied the game in the 2nd half if they were more clinical finishing their opportunities, then United completely destroyed them in 4 minutes and suddenly we have the following article at SkySports: "Ryan Giggs discusses how difficult early leaders Manchester United are going to be to stop this season". If Swansea had tied the game, we would have articles about "Ryan Giggs discusses how Manchester United keep making the same mistakes that hampered their season last year".

Another example is people praising Chelsea like they are back after winning against Tottenham and I'm here thinking they played really badly after the first 30 minutes and were very lucky to get points from that game. Had they lost it, we would have pundits asking for Conte's head ffs.

Lashley

Messi and Ronaldo are extremely physical players who would dominate ANY league. I mean you have a small sample size of their capabilities when you watch them play premier league teams in champions league.

Neymar Im going to agree with but Ronaldo and Messi are the epitome of physical players, they get the shit kicked out of them game after game and rarely go down on first contact.

You're all reading my post wrong. I mean if he came to Arsenal now, we'd turn him shit. It's what we do.

Alexis wants out before the coaches curse reaches him

Markitron

It's crazy to me that they haven't realised they cannot challenge this current Real side. Develop your youth and buy young, hungry players for the future motherfuckers.

Fucking Paulinho, give me a break.

I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt on that one for now. Even though its the Chinese league, his stats are still impressive, and he's played his way back into the Brazilian team. Could be a very handy signing.

MrS

Banned

Lash is saying Messi and Ronaldo would have failed at Arsenal due to Arsenal's coaching staff, not because of their abilities. He was critiquing the club not the players.

Syder

I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt on that one for now. Even though its the Chinese league, his stats are still impressive, and he's played his way back into the Brazilian team. Could be a very handy signing.
I mean, even if he does well for a couple of years I still don't think it's as good an investment of 40m as it would be on an up-and-comer, especially if you compare it to Chelsea getting Bakayoko for the same amount.

Lashley

Lash is saying Messi and Ronaldo would have failed at Arsenal due to Arsenal's coaching staff, not because of their abilities. He was critiquing the club not the players.

ebNGhc1.gif

T-Rex.

Banned
I was reading something recently that compared the two systems over the last 10 years and it turns out they have more or less the same success rate. The problem is that zonal marking is a system popularised by those bloody foreign managers who are stopping Sam Allardyce and Neil Warnock from getting the top jobs, and they can't be praising that can they?
Sounds about right. It's bizarre though, concede a goal while marking zonally and it's always the system that's to blame rather than the individual(s) as if they have no responsibility.

Lashley

Only players Arsenal didn't ruin, and arguably improved, are Sánchez and Cazorla.

I'd argue with Sanchez, he was allowed more freedom and was the "star" of the team, rather than our coaches doing anything.

Cazorla? Sure, wish he wasn't injured as much though - which seems to be another Arsenal trait

Empty

RIP Monaco

monaco will be fine. they got amazing prices for all their players and bought sensibly - bet tielmans will end up being sold for 70m in a couple years.

they've also won 3 out of 3 despite losing so many and mbappe sulking out of the squad.

Markitron

Sounds about right. It's bizarre though, concede a goal while marking zonally and it's always the system that's to blame rather than the individual(s) as if they have no responsibility.

They go out of their way to highlight the failings of the ZM system, it serves to confirm their bias.

bet tielmans will end up being sold for 70m in a couple years.

That Tielmans transfer was a steal and the best piece of business in the entire year. Shocked people don't mention it more.

Lashley

monaco will be fine. they got amazing prices for all their players and bought sensibly - bet tielmans will end up being sold for 70m in a couple years.

they've also won 3 out of 3 despite losing so many and mbappe sulking out of the squad.

Definitely. I like the look of Meite too.

Beefy

Walcott and Chamberlain were far better when they were with us then now at Arsenal.

To PSG

Syder

I'd argue with Sanchez, he was allowed more freedom and was the "star" of the team, rather than our coaches doing anything.

Cazorla? Sure, wish he wasn't injured as much though - which seems to be another Arsenal trait
I think Sánchez's goal ratio is much better at Arsenal than anywhere else in his career. I feel that was the one area lacking in him game before the move to England. He definitely seems like a more complete player than at any other time.

Ozil plays in a physical league and he hasn't adapted to it. There's more rough and tumble in the PL than in Bundesliga and La Liga. The difference between Ozil and other "flair players" like Willian, Pedro, Hazard and David Silva is that they've adapted to the physicality of the Premier League. That's partly his fault and partly the fault of the Arsenal coaching staff, but I don't think the fans are wrong to criticise him.

David Silva is actually a great example of a technical player who rarely turns to the physical aspect of his game as he primarily uses the technical aspect and understanding of positioning to create space rather than using physicality to directly take players on. He is also usually used in a role where his technical aspect is put to use and his physical deficiencies aren't regularly exposed. When he was less experienced in the league he used the la pelopina like it was the only thing he knew how to do to cover this. He is also a far superior player to Ozil as is Hazard but he has a high physical aspect to his game.

NHale

Ozil also struggled to be consistent in a non-physical league like La Liga.

I dont think his struggles are because of the physical nature of the league. He´s just an inconsistent player.

Still Ozil worked more in the defensive side of the game at Real Madrid than he does at Arsenal. This to me is what is so odd about it.

But then I remember those stories about Real Madrid managers pushing him constantly to do his job and even bench him at some points. Meanwhile I don't get the feeling that Wenger pushes Ozil as much as Low or Mourinho did. Also like someone already said Low created a system that allows Ozil to thrive without caring so much about the defensive side because he has cover, Wenger hasn't exactly created that. He still refuses to buy a traditional holding midfielder and keeps trying those "technical" alternatives like Coquelin, Xhaka, Elneny, etc... which is odd considering he won so much titles because he had one of the best in Patrick Vieira...

Doc_Drop

They go out of their way to highlight the failings of the ZM system, it serves to confirm their bias.
There is certainly truth in this. There is also the fact that, at least in my experience, there was never a coach who even tried zonal marking when I was playing as a kid and in to my teens. so unless that's changed in recent times its not a skill being developed domestically and doesn't have the same mindshare as more "traditional" methods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom