• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I think Sánchez's goal ratio is much better at Arsenal than anywhere else in his career. I feel that was the one area lacking in him game before the move to England. He definitely seems like a more complete player than at any other time.

I don't get how we've went from improving the likes of Henry to what he became, to now ruining players :( It's sad

I remember when Henry first arrived he was pretty shit, then Wenger moulded him into a fantastic striker.

He doesn't do that now.

Syder

It's amazing how the British press slowly petered out with their hype for Iwobi after he chose to represent Nigeria instead of England.
I don't get how we've went from improving the likes of Henry to what he became, to now ruining players :( It's sad

I remember when Henry first arrived he was pretty shit, then Wenger moulded him into a fantastic striker.

He doesn't do that now.
Pochettino is basically modern day Wenger now

Lashley

It's amazing how the British press slowly petered out with their hype for Iwobi after he chose to represent Nigeria instead of England.Pochettino is basically modern day Wenger now

Iwobi is class

and I'm so jealous of Spurs having Pochettino

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It's amazing how the British press slowly petered out with their hype for Iwobi after he chose to represent Nigeria instead of England.

That's the way they think. He is only playing for Nigeria because he doesn't think he will get a game for England, therefore he must be shit and have no ambition.

Iwobi is class

and I'm so jealous of Spurs having Pochettino

He will be a candidate for every big-club managerial vacancy for the next 5 years, eventually something will give and he will leave. My guess is when PSG don't win the Champions League, he will Emery's replacement.

Oxlade-Chamberlain is old and busted

When I see him being linked with Chelsea and Liverpool, I feel like I am taking crazy pills. He want's to be a CM, but can't get into Arsenal's midfield, is in the last year of his contract and has a terrible injury record.

Syder

That's the way they think. He is only playing for Nigeria because he doesn't think he will get a game for England, therefore he must be shit and have no ambition.
Don't forget about the English wonderkid, Victor Moses!
226509d1330121686-tottenham-spur-moment-2005296.png

¡Me Gusta!
When I see him being linked with Chelsea and Liverpool, I feel like I am taking crazy pills. He want's to be a CM, but can't get into Arsenal's midfield, is in the last year of his contract and has a terrible injury record.
Maybe Conte wants to turn him into the next Victor Moses?
Conte-Questions-Everything.png

TimmmV

Also, I hope the scousers boo Coutinho

They won't, but they should

He's lucky in that after the international break Liverpool have 3 from 4 league games away from home - so he has time to miraculously recover and (hopefully) play well before being exposed to that many supporters

NHale

He will be a candidate for every big-club managerial vacancy for the next 5 years, eventually something will give and he will leave. My guess is when PSG don't win the Champions League, he will Emery's replacement.

Antero Henriques is the new football director at PSG and he always wanted to bring Leonardo Jardim to FC Porto when he was there but the president didn't like him (maybe he was scared Leonardo Jardim would sleep with his wife).

Now Leonardo Jardim is no longer an unproven manager and Antero Henriques is the person in charge of picking the managers at PSG. I guess we can safely bet who is going to be their new manager if they don't win the Ligue 1 / reach the Semifinals of CL this year...

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
He's lucky in that after the international break Liverpool have 3 from 4 league games away from home - so he has time to miraculously recover and (hopefully) play well before being exposed to that many supporters

Even if he played tomorrow night, I don't think they would boo him. I may be wrong here, but I don't ever remember Sterling getting booed while he was still an LFC player.

Doc_Drop

Man, Syder and Lashley you do make me laugh with the GIFs and pictures. I should have been active in the football threads over the last few seasons. Would have eased the pain of relegation and 2nd tier football

King_Moc

Banned
Even if he played tomorrow night, I don't think they would boo him. I may be wrong here, but I don't ever remember Sterling getting booed while he was still an LFC player.

Pretty sure he was? They were singing songs about him and all sorts. It was because he went on the BBC and said he wanted out afaik.

Bullshit

If anything, Man City played shit as they 75% possession just passing he ball sideways, they had 2 clear chances while the rest were shots outside of the box. We controlled the game despite not having he ball. We run the most and the furthest, and we had better passing accuracy.

This Barca ''Played the best depite notscoring'' stats should have died long time ago. What matters is the goals

Sorry but if you are playing a possession game then passing sideways and passing back are a core principle of the game. That is football 101, It is not shit football though people might not enjoy watching it but it is having an understanding of the space in front of you and when a risky pass will turn over possession and requires a very high ability to give sharp passes consistently and accurately whilst making new space without running too much to force the opposition to do all the running (thats one of the points of possession football, to tire the opponent out). Doing that is the reason City let the fewest amount of shots at their goal than any other club last year but had a poor keeper so a huge percentage of those shots that were on target went in. If i'm not mistaken that was the game that finally got Pep to drop Bravo.

The beginning of the Chelsea game where City lost was the same but then Chelsea slowly became the much better team as the game went on. Everton never really did that in the 4-0 victory for them. Davis was the standout player for Everton as he was the reason the team got the chances they did.

The goals do matter as they win games but they aren't representative of the quality of football played. Many goals come in short periods of time, most goals come from mistakes, a game is made up of 90mins and can take a few seconds to score a goal. There are 21 other people playing the game whilst one person has the ball, how the team plays the ref, how the team plays the formation and the intelligence of players who know how to break from formation. If you only focus on the goals you miss the rest of the game and may as well just watch highlights.

operon

A lot of the punditry here are just obsessed with soundbites and love the sound of their own voices.
Gary Neville is the goat and I say that as a Liverpool players, he knows what he talks about and isn't afraid to get stuck into united when they play bad. Next is carragher getting better all the time and isn't afraid to criticise his old club.
After that you have crap, the other ex Liverpool lot who are clueless and biased and other washed up footballers

Markitron

Pretty sure he was? They were singing songs about him and all sorts. It was because he went on the BBC and said he wanted out afaik.

I was present while they sang songs but they were all about his agent, I genuinely don't recall any booing or songs directed at him until after he left.

We didn't even boo Stewart Downing, who I am fairly certain is the root cause for all of the bad things that are happening int the word nowadays.

Lashley

King_Moc

Banned
I was present while they sang songs but they were all about his agent, I genuinely don't recall any booing or songs directed at him until after he left.

We didn't even boo Stewart Downing, who I am fairly certain is the root cause for all of the bad things that are happening int the word nowadays.

Some booing, it seems, when he won the young footballer award.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/19/raheem-sterling-booed-liverpool-fans-club-awards-ceremony

A lot of the punditry here are just obsessed with soundbites and love the sound of their own voices.
Gary Neville is the goat and I say that as a Liverpool players, he knows what he talks about and isn't afraid to get stuck into united when they play bad. Next is carragher getting better all the time and isn't afraid to criticise his old club.
After that you have crap, the other ex Liverpool lot who are clueless and biased and other washed up footballers

I just wish they could get near to the analysis that Piotr Foot does.

I love Gary Neville’s punditry. Sky uploads MNF as a podcast now if you didn’t know :)

Markitron

Where at? Do they not put it on Youtube? Wouldn't mind watching it

Only audio I reckon. Visuals are for those who can afford daft money per month.

If Barca are legit asking for money from Neymar it's fucking hilarious. Accept it guys, you messed up in setting his clause at that price and thinking that it wasn't possible one of your stars would leave.

EDIT: If they're doing it via court though I guess it's worth a shot. For S
some reason thought they were asking out of his pocket 🙃

Lashley

4xOs398.png
Only audio I reckon. Visuals are for those who can afford daft money per month.

If Barca are legit asking for money from Neymar it's fucking hilarious. Accept it guys, you messed up in setting his clause at that price and thinking that it wasn't possible one of your stars would leave.

Shame

faridmon

Sorry but if you are playing a possession game then passing sideways and passing back are a core principle of the game. That is football 101, It is not shit football though people might not enjoy watching it but it is having an understanding of the space in front of you and when a risky pass will turn over possession and requires a very high ability to give sharp passes consistently and accurately whilst making new space without running too much to force the opposition to do all the running (thats one of the points of possession football, to tire the opponent out). Doing that is the reason City let the fewest amount of shots at their goal than any other club last year but had a poor keeper so a huge percentage of those shots that were on target went in. If i'm not mistaken that was the game that finally got Pep to drop Bravo.

The beginning of the Chelsea game where City lost was the same but then Chelsea slowly became the much better team as the game went on. Everton never really did that in the 4-0 victory for them. Davis was the standout player for Everton as he was the reason the team got the chances they did.

The goals do matter as they win games but they aren't representative of the quality of football played. Many goals come in short periods of time, most goals come from mistakes, a game is made up of 90mins and can take a few seconds to score a goal. There are 21 other people playing the game whilst one person has the ball, how the team plays the ref, how the team plays the formation and the intelligence of players who know how to break from formation. If you only focus on the goals you miss the rest of the game and may as well just watch highlights.

I think we will disagree on this. Passing sideways constantly is not good efficient football at all. Possession with 0 penetration is nightmare for fans, players and managers, Ask Manchester United fans and the team who won nothing with him (Maybe Carling Cup, but that was nothing considering the amount the paid). I hated players on our team, who did have a good retaining possession but did little with the ball creatively. There were periods where our passing were beautiful to watch, had 80% possession, but god we were shit (Martinez era *shudders*) Its not Football 101, just you say so.

and lets just its valid tactics, it worked for some teams and never worked with others. Barca made it work because they had creativity all over the field, Man City and Van Gaals Man United did certainly not worked for them. Bayern Munich Dismantled Barca on their way to the Treble because they played direct football. Possessions football was and always be a terrible way of playing football bar few examples.

Man City were awful that day. Kept pissing about, passing sideways tried to find openings with no avail. Thats not good Football, a Coworker is a Man City fan and he is no loving the football. Its wasteful and simply invites the other team to counterattack and thats the exactly what we did. We were amazing top to bottom, with high tackle rate, hihest running stats and highest win of 50-50 chances

Markitron

Better then Osman, dude said they should buy Jay Rodriguez. ��

Dean Saunders is the worst. In January he said Gerrard should be resigned and started in Liverpool's midfield.

It didn't occur to him that a 36 year old Gerrard might not be mobile enough for high-pressing team. This man is paid thousands for these opinions.

Beefy

They need to stop hiring just any ex pro footballer. BT is even worse at this, the other day it was Gerrard, Mcmanaman and Hargreaves.

Syder

Kondogbia is one the worst player i've ever seen.
He looked like he'd grow into a very solid player during his time at Monaco and will likely be remembered for running rings around Arsenal in the Champions League. I remember a lot of Gunners back then hoping Wenger would sign him as the heir to Patrick Vieira. Fortunately for them, as soon as he got his move to Inter he began to seriously decline. €40m right down the drain.

Dadasch

Barca embarassing themselves further by demanding Neymar pays back his loyalty bonus plus €8.5m + 10% of said bonus.

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/900003839839002628

EDIT: Tweet gone but

Well at least I understand now what they mean with "Més que un club".
I never really sympathized with them but this club shaped Football for a long time and it's so disappointing to see them as a bunch of losers who are not able to accept simple rules, because they have no dignity whatsoever.
Ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom